Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Explorer XS trade or sell

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Explorer XS trade or sell
November 03, 2015 03:44PM
I have been testing the XS and eTrac for a week or so. Many claim the XS is the deepest of the Explorer platform and that may be true in some regard and in other soils. In my soil however, my data shows them basically identical on coins in depth. Where I have noticed the difference is overall in trash. The XS is more sensitive on low conductors than what the eTrac is. I'm not sure why or how and it may even simply be the audio itself. The audio of the eTrac makes it easier for me to distinguish an overall good target from a bad one...but the audio of the XS tells more about what type object is in the ground. A good example...on the XS I can tell the differences in different alloy and sizes of pulltabs...vs the eTrac which just tells me its trash of some sort. The XS has the richer audio IMO.

With that said...I like the eTrac better overall. I'm looking to sell or trade the XS. I have the following:

XS detector with environmental cover, Andy's Explorer book, KOSS headphones with 1/8 in jack, stock coil, AA battery pack and rechargable pack. The housing and meter look A- condition. The lower rod is slightly bent but could be straightened out...probably as easy as heating with a blow dryer and bending back straight. I would rate the overall condition as a C plus to B minus. Great for its age and works perfect.

I want $300 shipped for it, PayPal. Or I would do an even trade for a SunRay 8" coil with lower rod for the eTrac. Would maybe do a trade for the Ultimate 13" FBS coil with a lower rod. If it sells here I will send NASA Tom some courtesy $ for forum use.

Thanks,
Daniel
Re: Explorer XS trade or sell
November 04, 2015 03:35AM
I have a sunray 8" coil and rod?
November 04, 2015 03:02PM
I may hold off for now. After posting this, I took it out with the eTrac's Pro coil on it and was quite happy with the results. I actually got better depth with the 11" Pro coil on the XS than I did with the Excelerator 10x14 on the eTrac. I guess for now I will hold onto it.
November 04, 2015 03:08PM
Daniel XS may be a tad slow but is as deep and in many cases deeper than the units that came after it...You would be surprised at so many XS users still out there....
November 04, 2015 04:05PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I may hold off for now. After posting this, I took
> it out with the eTrac's Pro coil on it and was
> quite happy with the results. I actually got
> better depth with the 11" Pro coil on the XS than
> I did with the Excelerator 10x14 on the eTrac. I
> guess for now I will hold onto it.

And the feedback and comments on other forums also mirrors that Daniel. Coil for coil XS slightly deeper vs Etrac. I believe your airtests may reveal also. I know my XS is deeper than the etracs I had--not much but deeper nonetheless. Gotta love that sweet tone it provides over high conductors....Music to one's ears...
November 04, 2015 04:37PM
At this point I am wondering if there were "hot" batches of eTracs. I had one back in 2011 and have notes on its performance on various coins and relics. This latest eTrac is an older unit that I bought used from "mascard1" and it surpasses my 2011 eTrac by almost 2 inches average on coin size objects.

I also have noted that each machine has its preference for coils. What I mean is...I guess that one or two of these coils is closer calibrated for one machine or the other...even though they work on both. A great example: the 4x7 Excelerator coil I have. On the XS it is a deep coil for its size. I can get a signal on a 6 inch silver dime with it. The coil is weak on my eTrac...I can do a noise cancel and still cant get that same dime, no matter what settings. It appears that approx 4 inches is all it can do on the eTrac.

The opposite is found with the 10x14 Excelerator coil. I thought it was deep with the XS but on the eTrac, it is quite a combo. I can get an 8 inch coin with it....fresh buried at that. Both detectors do well with the 11" Pro coil...but the XS is the deeper one with that coil on it. It can actually detect that same 8" coin that the eTrac needs the 10x14 coil to be able to achieve. Both are great machines...each having their strengths. The XS coupled with a carbon fiber lower rod and 11" Pro coil is actually well balanced. The stock XS coil is a nose heavy beast.
November 04, 2015 04:48PM
Here's something too. There was some talk that the originals were made in another country, then later produced in another. I think it was Ireland vs Malaysia. Some thought the first were a tad hotter.
I don't know.

Also worth noting is coils being matched to detector. I can't ever really remember anyone complaining their aftermarket coils never had good performance---depth.

I know Tom D has talked about for example the F75's coil need to be matched to the detector to get the performance.

Is the reason Minelabs don't seem to suffer in this dept----because the detectors are made to tight tolerances??? And the good aftermarkets coils are as well????
November 04, 2015 11:18PM
I always thought the earlier Ireland made Etrac's were smoother and deeper,But more importantly smoother in iron. I was told on the ''other'' forum I was crazy No difference other then one was Assembled in Ireland and the other Malaysia. I have had six all together and to Me there was a difference. I currently Have an Ireland made Etrac and will use it till it falls apart.
November 04, 2015 11:48PM
The E-Tracs are sped up somewhat and also have some mineral rejection built in even on a full open pattern...

So it will not obtain the depth of a XS, An S.E. Explorer will not obtain the depth of a XS it is also sped up somewhat ..

They tried to combat the complaints of the XS onwers as the moved forward wihtt he FBS unitts.. one was sluggish in trash and the other was noisy in hot ground...what they did was sped them up and combated the mineral noise both of these things created depth loss but better trash handling...

Heres what I would like to see and in all seriousness...since FTP brought back the original T2....I would like too see the original XS (not the II or the S.E.) stuck into a Xterra housing...

how hard could it be to do..put a battery pack under the arm rest and the exact copy but smaller original XS electronics in the Xterra housing...I would be more than pleased and happy....

They would sell a ton..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla