Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F series technical notching question for Tom...or whoever...

Posted by diggwr27 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F series technical notching question for Tom...or whoever...
November 04, 2015 12:04AM
I have just hit upon some new coin settings that are working pretty good for me on my last few hunts with my F70 and talking to another hunter on a different forum with whom I am sharing settings because he also deals with some hot soil he suggested a different way to do the exact same thing.
I am going to try this method but I am curious about exactly what the differences would be between them, technology wise.
Would targets come in the same, is there an advantage to using one over the other, inquiring minds want to know.
I am going to try both but what are your thoughts?

The area I am hunting is an old park that goes back to th 20's and deemed totally hunted out by many.
There are problems here.
Mineralized, red clay filled southern soil, the place was built on a landfill so there is iron and garbage deep, also tons of smaller nails, rusty wire and other junk all over the place.
Also we have almost 100 years of normal park trash built up here, beaver tail, sta tabs, pop and screw on tops, can slaw and foil.
A bonus is when they built this park and all the surrounding neighborhoods for some reason they decided to get rid of the tons of slag left over from the huge local iron foundry processing by mixing it into the fill dirt used to build up the entire area for miles around.
Fun.
The result is depth is pitiful, stable, clean ID's on most targets past 2" is rare.
I used to live here before and mostly lived at the shallow to about 4" area, 3" or less, actually, but now I want to get deeper.
I found that the better older stuff, old wheaties, silver coins, IH'S st all, all seem to hover in the 6" area in most places, maybe a little deeper but the clay seems to act like hardpan at the beach and stops the targets from sinking much deeper.
Fine with me, for the last few months I have been working on getting down to that 6-7" level and recognize good targets, somehow, when I roll over them even though nothing is solid and stable that deep and have done well using mostly all metal.
Now I want to learn a quieter non threshold way to be productive using disc and I have tried a few things and over the last few hunts evolved into these settings.
Didn't start out this way but I kept tweaking to get specific types of trash out of my way and what I ended up with worked.
In three hunts I have found silver dimes on hunt one and two, today a 1900 IH in one hole and an 1800's V nickel in another.
All targets were at 6" except the V which was at 7".
All targets I have dug in this park and others around here that were great and deeper at that 6" area were all way up-averaged in the numbers...even the nickels that deep come in really high due to all the iron around here and the fact that I understand th F series is designed to up average targets around iron.

Now that you know all that here is my question...

My settings are disc at 15, both tabs and zinc are notched out, sense at 80, SL speed and thresh at -2 3H tones and it works.
What do you think would be the result if I did the opposite and bumped the disc up to 65 and notched IN foil, and nickels?
I want those in because I am still a gold hunter but there aisle too many tabs and screw on tops that come in at zinc around here that I really want to deal with when I am on the hunt for high tone coins.
My settings seem to be fairly quiet and pretty easy to hear the high tone deep targets when they come my way.

Ultimately both ways end up being the same with foil, nickels and high tone targets in and everything else out but again, I am just curious on technically if one way might be better or more efficient for whatever reason.
Thanks for any or all opinions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 12:06AM by diggwr27.
Re: F series technical notching question for Tom...or whoever...
November 04, 2015 01:00AM
I am against any form of 'notching'........ as ................ you have already witnessed............. even from targets like nickels can ID all the way up into the 'high-coin' conductivity area. Now............ (example)................ that's with a nickel in the 6" - 7" depth strata. Now...... what if the nickel is in the 4" - 5" depth range............ and does not quite fully up-average into the 'high coins' area. Say...... they only up-average into the pull-tab range.

Your fairly high mineral soil poses a problem that you must continuously compensate for. This can only (as of current technology) be confronted with ........ another level of skill-set // experience. As (learning-curve) painful as it may be............ I would notch nothing; rather, listen to the audio, , , , then audio length vs coil sweep-speed......... (so as to 'size' the target)..........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,........................ in the effort to learn/guesstimate the target size. THEN........ if you know the target 'size'; you can then have a better idea as to the targets depth. THIS (in turn) will allow you to better guesstimate the 'amount' of up-averaging. . . . . whereby........ allowing you calculate/know the targets conductivity .... and subsequent 'dig' or 'no dig' choice.
Re: F series technical notching question for Tom...or whoever...
November 04, 2015 01:56AM
Thanks Tom, usually I hunt in all metal or with the disc somewhere between 1-6.
This is just a way to cherry pick in very difficult conditions and it seems to work...somewhat.
I am finding silver and older coins in areas I have hunted many times in the past and missed so just another quiver in my belt of tricks.