Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

cleaning the old coins???

Posted by fisher cz-3d 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cleaning the old coins???
September 26, 2010 01:47AM
What is the best way to clean theses old green coins up here in Maine? [www.youtube.com]
Re: cleaning the old coins???
September 27, 2010 07:03PM
"Green" is usually copper oxide. Problem is..............a lot of the copper has 'given up' // corroded // gone-away.......................so....................cleaning it can/will make the coin look like a piece of coral,,,, high porosity. Sometimes it has a better appearance if the porosity is/remains filled in with dirt.

If you want to attempt to clean it.......LimeAway.........in a 'timed' fashion ... can help.
September 27, 2010 08:46PM
Thanks,I have a few unreadable Indian heads....... would love to know the dates........... smiling smiley
September 27, 2010 11:31PM
Get a 35mm plastic film bottle.........(((remove the 35mm film)))......and cut it to about 1/3" height. Fill it 1/2 full with Lime Away. Drop the Indian Head in there for approx 70 Seconds. Pull the IH out......and immediately (lightly) brush it with a brass toothbrush.......both sides. THEN.........rinse it under running water. Repeat process no more than 2 times..........if this is even necessary.

PRACTICE ON A WHEAT PENNY FIRST!!!!
September 28, 2010 01:29PM
On copper coins I take a small glass cup that has a concave bottom on the inside of the cup.
Put about 1/4" of peroxide and heat up for about 50 seconds in the microwave.
Then slide the penny in the hot peroxide, when the bubbling stops take the penny out and rub lightly with a baby tooth brush.
This can be repeated if needed. When done I rinse with hot water, let dry and drop in a small container of olive oil for an hour or two. Take out and gently wipe off excess oil and store.

Before all this, I try to see a date first, just to make sure it's not a rare coin.

Now if all else fails, and the coin is encrusted I use a small amount of PB Blaster for no more than 10 seconds at a time. If you leave this chemical on a bare copper coin it will eat small pits which ruins the coin and any value it might have had.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 01:32PM by markg.