Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Steering me through the jungle of choice

Posted by Salt 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Steering me through the jungle of choice
November 15, 2015 12:46PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The CZ70 is a solid salt water beach hunter. It's
> "spash" proof and rain proof, so a rogue wave
> won't kill it. I've used my old CZ70 to hunt salt
> water beaches in a heavy downpour of a storm and
> it never missed a beat. It also performed very
> well in heavy black sand. If you can pick up the
> Sunray FZ12 coil, even better, it's a lightweight
> 12.5" coil that's perfect for beach detecting.

Yes I would go for the CZ3D or the CZ70, but both budget for the first and lack of availability (europe) for the second constrains these choices. In any case I have decided to sacrifice the wet sand for the time being (but still will search second hand these CZ's) in the meantime I am simply wanting target jewelry/gold items and nothing more. For that reason I am iffing and froing between Gold bug DP (only because of the stock larger coil otherwise the pro will have to do) and the AT Gold, the AT Pro is out due to it not having a pure all metal and that is the only reason. The xterra 705 Gold is low down because I do not think all those extra bobs and bits such as notching and ground trac are necessary, despite it having versatility. If anyone has compared the xterra 705 18.75 with an AT Gold with small gold and jewelry at depth in Iron I would be curious, but to date I can not find anything on the web so my feelings are that the at gold and gold bug would do slightly better. But that is in the absence of not actually being able to compare them myself.
November 15, 2015 01:35PM
There's no perfect metal detector made. No matter how much you read about this or that one being better or has this or that feature, it all sound good in writing.......you may buy that detector
and totally not like the way it works or functions, may not like the tones etc. If you can't mesh with the detector, understand what its telling you, figure out how to use it to its full potential, you won't be happy with it.

Trouble with wanting to dig just jewelry and gold, you'll have to dig targets that range from iron (small gold chains, gold coins) to silver coin range. Gold depending upon KT and size, it can fall anywhere. If that's what you want, you need to dig lots of trash.

You may wish to opt for a non-metered machines with several tones. Look at the DeepTech machines. The Vista Gold.
Whats nice is the two tone adjustable tone break and disc control. Set it just where thing gold rings are still accepted, anything smaller will be discriminated out.
By switching to two tone mode, anything smaller than the thin gold ring will go low tone. Set low tone volume to about 40%. That will get you the bulk of gold items, silver jewelry.
From past videos etc on the web, DeepTech units handle the wet salt sand. I have the Vista Gold and find it a superb machine. I basically hunt for gold and silver jewelry and take all
the coins that come my way. For me the Vista Gold is a wonderful machine.

As for a metered target ID machine. Take your pick. I have not found one that was perfectly suited for myself. I would need a Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher F5 features with the capabilities to ID at the depth of a
PI made into one machine. I use the Gold Bug Pro with the 5x10" coil, fast easy set-up, fun to use just not a depth demon, good cherry picker. The Fisher F5 is an ideal jewelry machine for many with its features, again not a depth demon.

All you can do is buy and try, find one that works for you. Visit a local club and try out some of their machines, see first hand how they perform. You can spend months searching for a detector before choosing one. Rather you can buy one and hunt for months getting practical experience to help you to choose your next detector. Possibly find enough goodies to pay for it as well.

Every forum and its forum members can give you a 1000 answers why to by this and that. Then in your mind you oscillate back and forth between models suggested by others to buy. One day this, one day that. Are you making the right decision to buy this or that. When it comes down to it, you want to go hunting instead of spending months deciding on a machine. Think everyone will tell you, pick one, try it, don't like it buy another.

You will probably find, most guys have at least three detectors in their arsenal. I found what suits my hunting style that covers most of the conditions I hunt in are the Vista Gold, GoldBug Pro and my own PI.

Good Luck, happy hunting

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
November 15, 2015 05:14PM
Thanks sven, I agree with you.
November 16, 2015 12:07AM
You don't have a source like we have eBay over their,or where your at?
Might find someone here selling a nice fisher CZ .
It's just the with the cz bad ground no problem,salt water no problem,Depth certainly no problem,longevity no problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 12:10AM by supertraq.
November 16, 2015 07:08AM
I would not jump to a Pulse unless it Ground balances...

It will help you not dig everything..

and if you have a disiability any pulse may become a burden on you physically in terms of digging deep alot of times a day for non wanted targets..

If your staying in a salt environ get a waterproof unit..CZ-21/AT-PRO/EXCALIBUR/

If it was me I would get a AT-PRO and go have fun...your budget allows for a NEW one with waranty and even some extra goodies like waterproof headphones and heck you could swing a pinpointer and scoop all for 800 bucks..

X-Terra really does not have a waterproof DD coil for beach work except the smaller 6 but that's too small..unless you go after market but Im not fond of the choice's..

Learn the ropes get proficient makes some good finds, cash in later on for another TOOL you find you may be needing on your beach hunts...it may be a P.I. or a more expensive Deeper VLF Or heck you may make enough finds to upgrade to a CTX???

But you may learn along the way the AT is all you need to make some great finds!

The important thing is get going...enjoy NOW... learn as you go...field experince will be your best wisdom...Learn what YOU need and you'll have a BALL!!!!

HAVE FUN!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla