Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is so special about PF

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What is so special about PF
September 29, 2010 12:53AM
What is so special about the PF mode on the F75?
Tom is continually mentioning it in a lot of his post.
Is it better than the DE mode?
Re: What is so special about PF
September 29, 2010 01:08AM
DE and PF mode are extremely similar. ----- I know I may have answered this in a previous post.....but may be worth mentioning again.

PF is the Plowed Field mode. It is in the timing circuit that will respond differently to 'slow' targets...............and that being mineralized clumps of dirt. In the PF mode ..... the F75 is 'detuned' for these large...'slow responding' targets.....so as to NOT look like a target. Lumpy mineralized terrain is electronically rough on a detector (and the operators ears).
Short/sharp responding targets.....like coins/buttons/bullets/rings are unaffected.
DE is Default mode........which is lightening fast ((( and may give a 'target sounding audio presentation' response to clumps of mineralized dirt ))).

Tom
September 29, 2010 01:54AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DE and PF mode are extremely similar. ----- I
> know I may have answered this in a previous
> post.....but may be worth mentioning again.
>
> PF is the Plowed Field mode. It is in the timing
> circuit that will respond differently to 'slow'
> targets...............and that being mineralized
> clumps of dirt. In the PF mode ..... the F75 is
> 'detuned' for these large...'slow responding'
> targets.....so as to NOT look like a target. Lumpy
> mineralized terrain is electronically rough on a
> detector (and the operators ears).
> Short/sharp responding targets.....like
> coins/buttons/bullets/rings are unaffected.
> DE is Default mode........which is lightening fast
> ((( and may give a 'target sounding audio
> presentation' response to clumps of mineralized
> dirt ))).
>
> Tom

Tom so what is it about PF mode that makes it preferred for hunting in iron? <grin>

Tom Z
September 29, 2010 11:21AM
How does PF mode handle hot rocks? If I think of it, I'll have to see how it does when I come across one, as I do in every hunt.
September 29, 2010 11:41AM
As to be expected..........all of the modes of the detector......are 'tools' for EACH SPECIFIC OPERATOR...and EACH SPECIFIC HUNTING SCENARIO..........as there are infinate variables that can come into play.........and it is left up to the operator/detectorist to determine which mode has 'what' effect for THAT specific scenario. xxxxxx That being said.......in general.......hot rocks are somewhat 'muted' whilst in 'pf' mode. Hot rocks are not quite as electronically 'sharp/crisp' as say.....coins/rings/bullets/buttons. The slower responding targets (hot rocks) are 'timed out' a bit more via the 'pf' mode. A bit more muted. Most hot rocks are 'slow' responders...... but a few may respond fast/sharp.......and these will escape the 'pf' mode intent. Nothing is perfect.........but .....overall......works quite well.

This can also hold true for 'pf' mode in iron. . . . . depending upon the 'decay' status of the iron. The more 'decay'..... the less 'sharp' the electronic detection response; subsequently, a slower responding signal..............of which............the 'pf' mode may/can/will tune out. And JUST BECAUSE YOU MAY NOT HEAR A AUDIO RESPONSE TO THIS IRON (DECAY STATUS) DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT WILL NO LONGER MASK TARGETS!!! Disintegrated/decayed iron looks like highly mineralized dirt to the detector......and will STILL MASK good targets! Just because the detector is 'more' quiet....(better for the operator)......does not mean it has better detection abilities in iron. The rules of physics dictate that it still cannot circumvent/mitigate iron masking. Electromagnetic energy eminating from the coil (regardless of detector brand).....is still subject to attenuation.
I may have brought this up before....
September 29, 2010 09:39PM
I look at PF process a bit differently. Lumps and bumps aside distrubed ground gives an inconsistent signal to a detector. It is well; known that certain multi freq "2 filter" detectors do not do well in plowed fields or other types of disturbed ground. Their slow filters cannot handle the fast changing inconsistent ground signal. How does this apply to hunting iron with Pf process? Fast changing signals? Fast Filters? Could the fast filters account for the excessive iron falsing? I don't know the technical answer but my intuition tells me there is a correlation in there.

Tom Z

edited to clarify

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 11:07PM by Jackpine.