Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CW small silver with Deus

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CW small silver with Deus
December 12, 2015 02:26PM
Haven't run the Deus much lately so I carried it to one of my CW areas where they have just disked the tobacco rows and there is some recently cut bean stubble.
I've been working it since the weather cooled off but finds have been scarce (they still are) since I put in all the hours last winter. Still, I know there's some good finds yet to be had there.
One came to light this past Wednesday. It read 72 in the ground (12 kHz) and 66 on top of the ground. It was a tiny thing; a very small, thin disc, and it was bent at a right angle with sandy soil packed into the fold.
I brushed the outer surface and revealed an image. Then the word "UNITED" appeared along the circumference.
When I turned the disc over and scooped out the packed soil, my suspicion was verified. There were the 3 "i"s, and another bucket list item was in hand. Four hours of walking, stooping and kneeling, numerous excavations of rusty iron and .22 cal bullets, and countless swings of the 11 inch coil through and over stubborn bean stubble had brought its reward. What other such treasures await me in this field?

Here are size comparisons with a dime and half-dime:

Did a soldier bend this coin out of boredom or was it for another reason? Has anybody else dug coins deliberately bent like this? Would you leave it bent or straighten it?

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: CW small silver with Deus
December 12, 2015 02:34PM
Super find Wayne!!!! Bent or not.
December 12, 2015 02:58PM
Looks like its worth the effort. Just enough to reel you back in. I would leave it bent myself.
December 12, 2015 03:00PM
It could be that it was bent on purpose, google bent coin/ good luck charm or love token.
December 12, 2015 03:40PM
Nice save ncwayne!
December 12, 2015 04:41PM
It would bend back flat successfully, in my opinion. Assuming it's done with the correct technique. However, there's no rush, you could leave it bent for 10 years, and then bend it flat, so don't be hasty. And if you do, make sure you have plenty of good pics of how it was, for the record, and in case things go wrong...
As it's from agricultural land, there's a high chance it's damage caused by machinery.
December 12, 2015 05:28PM
Nice history save!! Those 3 centers are rare, I've only found one.

Yeah I would bend it back to flat too.

HH,
Brian
December 12, 2015 05:49PM
Awesome * 10

I would leave as is.
December 12, 2015 06:29PM
"Over here this side of the pond (EU) "love tokens" are regular finds.
Usually bent and made from silver coins always worn almost to an illegible flat.
They're very interesting in their own right. A popular 'nursery rhyme' describes them.
"There was a crooked man by a crooked stile with a crooked sixpence etc!"

Be Careful if you decide to straighten it.
it's a skill I don't possess"
December 12, 2015 06:33PM
Nice save indeed! Yea I would leave it as is. Makes for a great px to show in the box.

WTG!
December 13, 2015 06:06PM
Nice shape. They ARE a rare find...I only have found one also...with the original f-75.

Remembering correctly, they were made and used to buy the 3 cent stamps at that time. I actually found mine in the area of a 'long gone' general store/post office.

I tried to get a look to see how it was bent.....pliers, hammer, heat first,,,etc.... couldn't see any clues though.
December 14, 2015 12:10AM
Nice save ncwayne
I have dug a few bent coins over the years. I think they were bent from farm implements

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 12:11AM by docbars.
December 14, 2015 09:04PM
Great find Wayne,

I've yet to find a 3-cent, those are a rare find out West!

Congrats!
Paul