Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Coin" frequency - Technically speaking...

Posted by earthmansurfer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"Coin" frequency - Technically speaking...
October 09, 2010 08:28AM
Why does my Omega do better than my T2 did with coins? Why am I digging deeper coins than I ever did with my T2? Thanks Elton for getting me thinking (yet again) about this.
And on top of it, we have the AT Pro coming out at a higher frequency than the Omega - I wonder how the AT Pro will do with coins? (They are touting it as an all around machine)

I dug lots of targets with my T2 (to better understand what I was hearing) - not just 4 way signals and I just didn't dig as many coins. (Silver coins are few and far between in Germany, so it's not the lower frequency finding me more silver.) Most of the coins I dig are smaller than an American Nickel, often dime size and smaller which seems like would be the T2's specialty, but it just ain't so practically speaking. The coins often are around 60 or so on the Omega's VID meter. The ground balance is around 56 - 65 and though there is lots of iron in the ground everywhere here, the Fe meter usually has no bars. (Always shows less on my Omega than my T2 did.) Further, I have pulled more coins out of iron with my Omega than with my T2 (though iron tricks the Omega more by a lot than my T2 ever did.)

Is this a combination of frequency and the newer technology in the Omega? The Omega does lock on to coins better than my T2 ever did.
Re: "Coin" frequency - Technically speaking...
October 09, 2010 12:44PM
The lower freq of the Omega will allow it to be more 'resonant' to silver coins........and less 'resonant' to low conductors....including iron. This is a 'double' plus.

The ideal freq (on average....with varying conditions/scenarios) for silver coins .... is in the 4-Khz to 7-Khz range. --- That being said..........the (much higher freq) F75 LTD is still quite a bit more powerful/sensitive on silver coins........over the Omega and T2..............even with its much higher operating freq. .... This is due to its extremely 'boosted' electronic-platform///circuit-design.
October 09, 2010 06:21PM
I hear what your saying Tom and thanks for your reply, but the thing is I don't dig many silver coins. Why does it seem (and it's not just me saying it) that the Omega is a better coin hunter than the T2 (though the T2 is better with relics). Regarding iron, I guess what your saying is why the Omega is tricked with iron more, makes sense.
October 09, 2010 11:33PM
Hi guys,

From what I remember using the T2 it did OK on coins but the sweet spot on the coil is much tighter than on the Omega. In other words many of the high conductive coins I found with the T2 were due to using a very tight overlap, move the coil forward or back just a bit while sweeping and the signal is lost entirely whereas with the Omega you get a hit worth investrigasting as a possible coin over a broader area of the coil. Not sure if this is due entirely to the higher freq of the T2 being less responsive or some other difference between it and the Omega.

FWIW

Tom
October 09, 2010 11:50PM
The Omega does operate at a better 'coin frequency' vs T2.
October 10, 2010 06:05AM
tom!.. does the higher frequency increased "power" factor of the f-75 "standard"
give better performance on silver coins than the omega 8000 in your view?..thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.
October 10, 2010 11:48AM
Jackpine, that is an interesting point. I wish I had kept my T2 after getting my Omega to better compare the two detectors. Next year I think I'll get a second detector, maybe the AT Pro if the reviews are good or an XP Deus or a new Teknetics coin machine (hopefully). I will do some side by side comparisons then but thanks for that point...

Tom - I do realize that the Omega is at a better "coin frequency" but Dave Johnson did mention that the frequency is making less and less of a difference due to the leaps in technology but point taken anyway. This is where that Deus detector is nice, you can switch frequencies with the push of a button to check targets for times like when you are in iron, etc. I hope they eventually make it available in the US as the idea is good.
October 10, 2010 08:50PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jackpine, that is an interesting point. I wish I
> had kept my T2 after getting my Omega to better
> compare the two detectors. Next year I think I'll
> get a second detector, maybe the AT Pro if the
> reviews are good or an XP Deus or a new Teknetics
> coin machine (hopefully). I will do some side by
> side comparisons then but thanks for that
> point...
>
Earthmansurfer
I should have qualified that statement a bit more, For the most part I found it to be true on co-located targets in iron infested areas. I'm just not seeing the same thing with the Omega (yet). Head to head comparison is definitely needed to be sure.

Tom Z
October 11, 2010 01:20AM
The Omega and T2 are neck-n-neck for coin depth performance.

A standard F75 ...... even though higher Freq...... will still trump the Omega on high conductive coins.
October 11, 2010 02:52AM
Tom, or anyone,
What is the trick to digging coins with the F-75 and not rusty tin,iron, rusty bottle caps and rusty nails ????
BJ
October 11, 2010 09:37PM
Drop down your Grnd Bal numbers about 20 (or more) points......and see if the 'falsing' goes away by a large amount.
October 11, 2010 10:40PM
so if GB number is 60,, drop it down to 40 ???
And now raise it a plus 3 like one site says...
BJ
October 11, 2010 11:21PM
Yes. If FLAT steel is giving excessive 'falses'......you are not as concerned about depth; rather, you are more concerned about proper ID.