Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Makro Racer with 5 inch coil versus a Garrett AT Pro with 5x8 inch coil (question)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Makro Racer with 5 inch coil versus a Garrett AT Pro with 5x8 inch coil (question)
December 18, 2015 05:49AM
It the Makro Racer with the 5 inch OOR coil installed sleuthy enough to go behind an Garret AT Pro with a 5x 8 inch coil installed??? I have just acquired a new permission and it is right across the small road from where I found a Civil War small camp and a gold dollar (found a couple of years ago). I had been trying to obtain permission from the landowner to hunt this new piece of property but evidentally, I went about it all wrong, because, several months ago, another detectorsist gained permission (the land owner is my third cousin) and has been woking over this 7 acre lot with a AT Pro with a 5x8 coil. There are alot of areas with thick carpets of nails.
I have an XP GMP coming (hopefully, Saturday) but unitl then I am going to be vigerously hunting this property with my Racer with small coil. I used the 11 inch coil today, and made a 20 minute pass across the property after discovering that I had permission and found a 54 roundball. It was about 6 inches deep.
I am certainly not trying to start a doo doo-ing contest between fans of each unit (I have owned both and like both) but I presenty have the Racer and I'm going to hook up the 5 incher up in the morning and try to find some stuff between the nails. Anyway, I appreciate all replies and the truly mailn thing is.........Merry CHRISTmas to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Makro Racer with 5 inch coil versus a Garrett AT Pro with 5x8 inch coil (question)
December 18, 2015 10:39AM
If he has been going over that lot for several months before you than he probably got most of the good stuff. You may find a few pickings the at pro left behind but it's been my experience with the at pro that it doesn't leave much behind. In my opinion at pro is in the top 3 metal detectors for hunting in iron with the 5 X 8. To bad you didn't get the permission first.
Re: Makro Racer with 5 inch coil versus a Garrett AT Pro with 5x8 inch coil (question)
December 18, 2015 12:42PM
I'd use the Racer and see for sure. Yes it will definately find stuff behind the machine you mentioned. I've hunted around them several times. Use 3 tone for that outstanding blending of what's in the ground.
December 18, 2015 01:00PM
Kevin,
Imagine if your question was,

Will the Racer with small OOR coil see things possibly in around nails/iron that the Racer with 5x10" coin won"t alert the user to???

And the answer is YES.

When we get into the scenario of detecting in and around iron.
Small, and I mean real small advantages depending on a target's orientation in iron---- things can get discovered.

And also, remember detectors themselves vary somewhat in what they see vs others--- this not really tied to a detectors depth or separation/unmasking capabilities either.

Also remember Racer has true AM function, At Pro doesn't.
December 18, 2015 01:22PM
Alot depends on the operator obviously, but that 5x8 is an absolutely bad dude and surprisingly deep. Maybe you get a small target or two in extremely dense areas, maybe. Whether I got a dud or what even wide open I just never could get the 5-6" coins with the small racer coil some say they did. Its a good coil, it just performed as expected for something with a small foot print and nothing more. In ground depth comparable to the width of the coil on coins.
December 18, 2015 02:01PM
Just because the user has a good machine don't mean they know squat about it or how to intrepret its language. Some people go strictly by numbers...only digging above a certain range of numbers, and thus leave a lot behind. I've gone behind people at the DIV hunts that have pounded areas with TDI and GPX machines and still find a display case full of bullets, buttons, j hooks, etc. Heck, even plates. Detecting is for sure another hobby that having the best equipment don't necessarily mean a whole lot.
December 18, 2015 03:48PM
It's Christmastime. I ain't going to keep fretting about it. I shouldn't have used this forum as my personal blog. (concerning the long post that I just deleted.) Merry Christmas everyone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 04:02PM by Kevin B.
December 18, 2015 04:05PM
"Never trust nobody".
December 18, 2015 04:23PM
The racer with the 5x10 is killer but in heavy iron carpets of nails yeah the racer 5 is deeper and I think way better...Turn down you power to about 50- 60..I'm sure even no it's been hunted they missed targets mixed in with iron. And even iron can be guns, locks, tools

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 18, 2015 04:26PM
Kevin,
Nothing at all wrong with your post here IMO.

Remember more folks than yourself, me included read this forum.

So if a person considers responses to your post I.e. in their totality----- this in itself can be a learning experience for some.

HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 04:27PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 18, 2015 05:21PM
You're a great bunch of guys. Thanks for puttin' up with my crap. I am heading to that site with the Racer a 5" OOR coil. If I have any luck, I'll post it here. I hope you guys (and gals) have a great day!!!! Seriously. kevin
December 18, 2015 05:24PM
Good talking to you this morning Kevin!!

I know you will do well in this Spot!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 18, 2015 06:04PM
I've seen some videos of guys hitting pounded (T2 & ATP) colonial sites with the Racer and the stock coil and finding buttons and coins that were missed. Unless somebody is a dedicated grid hunter they will leave good stuff behind.

Secret tip of the day. Use one of those gold magnets and or shop magnet broom and "sweep" up the easy iron on surface. You may have to rake the spot first. I'm talking a 10x10 are first. If you can remove that making surface layer you might find something good.
December 18, 2015 06:06PM
I a fairly new to Mr. Racer, but I put on the small coil OOR yesterday after using the 11 for awhile at an inland site I've hunted a few years. I skated around and thought "No big deal" Then had a brain storm and cranked up the Gain- walah much better (duh). Not to argue with the advice of Low-Boy, but some sites may need more and others less. I find a little experimenting answers most questions.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 19, 2015 04:45AM
Thanks Keith!