Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CSA Belt Plate (real or repro?????)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CSA Belt Plate (real or repro?????)
December 19, 2015 05:42PM
Hi guys, a friend found this in a safe and he asked me to confirm whether it's real or not. It has "SOLID BRASS" stamped on the back. But, as you can see, the back pieces are missing (puupy paws?). Can anyone please help.

Re: CSA Belt Plate (real or repro?????)
December 19, 2015 05:51PM
Looks suspicious to me.
December 19, 2015 06:12PM
FAKE!!!!

It's a Repo..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 19, 2015 06:17PM
Yes, I kinda figured, when I saw all of those file marks, that it was a reproduction. I wonder why they (who-ever did it) filed such deep divets into it? Might have been a kid, I guess. Anyway, Merry Christmas. And thanks for the ID!!!!!! It was a favor for a friend who just lost their father-in-law. I bet that they thought that they had struck gold!!!!! LOL!!!!! There good people though, and wasn't dismayed that it was a fake. Thanks again and Happy Christmas!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 06:19PM by Kevin B.
December 19, 2015 06:30PM
Kevin the reason the divots are right at the words is because at one time someone was trying to fool some one..

They took the hooks off.. which no hooks like that existed back then..

Then they tried to file the words off partially...

They were hoping to get someone to BITE..

its even worse now days... they ahve supe good reproductions and some are not marked....

It takes a keen eye to decide if there real or not.Only a few can tell on those...it would takes years of handling all sorts to even KNOW right from wrong...I only trust a couple of guys for that.and they write books on the subject's.......also in the early 1900s there was a lot fo CSA buckles made for the veterans from original molds...There's dug ones from that period also....the reproduction ones from then though are collectible...maybe 400 dollars...but not $3,000.00+ like real ones..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 20, 2015 05:12AM
Thanks Keith! I'm glad that this one will never make it to a show. The man that brought it over didn't have a clue. He found it in the back of his recently deceased father-in -law's safe. He seemed to have some doubts about it. I quickly snapped a couple of pics and put it on here. I told him that there were several knowledgeable guys on here that have been detecting for 30 to 40 yrs that could spot a fake from a mile away. Thanks again for the ID. And Merry Christmas to ya,
December 20, 2015 05:28AM
The battery looks real though.
December 20, 2015 05:58AM
The "SOL" about says it all!
December 20, 2015 06:03AM
That gizmo right up there with fake arrowheads.