Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Native American rock bowl?

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Native American rock bowl?
December 20, 2015 08:57PM
Found this a few hours ago, recent plow surfaced the bowl.

Have found arrow heads here before, but nothing like this. Anyone know if it's Native American or early Spanish?

Placed it beside the ATX give you an idea of it's size, 8" inch diameter by 4" inches height. Going to bury it away from the plowed area, safe from getting damaged by future plow.

Appreciate any help with ID, and thanks for looking.

Paul

Re: Native American rock bowl?
December 20, 2015 09:31PM
Looks like a Mortar...

probably 1700s maybe 1600s....

the real old ones are crude..I have a couple of dug up over the years..like 1000 years old..

Yours seems to be more like a Mission period

Nice

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 20, 2015 10:15PM
Thanks so much Keith, appreciate the help I'll do some googling on this later when I get home.

Cool! So it's a mortar, has a small hole at the bottom? Makes sense maybe mission era the site has gave up reales and arrow heads. I feel it may have been Native American site before the Spainsh arrived, based from past finds.

Also, Not knowing the law with finding this buried it away from the plowed area, so it's safe away from future plow.

Driving to another site, see what else surfaces using my GPX and ATX all day think I'll try and squeeze in a couple of hours tonight park hunting with the Pi's if it doesn't rain smiling smiley

Thanks again Keith!
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 10:19PM by Old California.
December 20, 2015 11:11PM
Nice find there Paul thumbs down
December 21, 2015 12:01AM
Quite welcome Paul

Heres a quick link from google for your area...[quarriesandbeyond.org]

And yes I would not remove it If I wasnt sure of the laws..

I left the couple I found also over the years.....took pics and left them alone...too heavy to carry anyways..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 21, 2015 12:26AM
Quite a sizable discovery Paul.

Congrats
December 21, 2015 04:00AM
Thanks Wayne, David and thanks Keith for the link.

Went over the link and then Google searched a little, also went over California Native American material of my own. Have allot more Native American reading material and will go over them soon, too tired been a long day.

Attaching another pic, these are all I have before I buried the mortar. What I should do is visit the closest museum in that country and inquire about the law pretaining to finding such artifacts, maybe I can redig the mortar and donate it to that museum?

Weighs about 10 pounds, was quite heavy for it's size. Can't imagine the generations it took to shape this mortar, passed down from one generation to the next.

Amazing..

Thanks again, Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 04:16AM by Old California.
December 21, 2015 05:05AM
Yeah Paul it probably got thin in the bottom and broke through ...

They might if used that for decades..

the pestle might be around there too.

Usually on surface finds you can keep them I think.. even if its just slightly exposed...

But better check to be safe..Im sure its mission period I bet..It has that Feel to it..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 21, 2015 06:35AM
Found one just like that about 3 weeks ago in a mission era recently plowed field. it was broke in half due to the plowing. Also dug a ball button and rifle round ball close by.
December 21, 2015 09:45AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah Paul it probably got thin in the bottom and
> broke through ...
>
> They might if used that for decades..
>
> the pestle might be around there too.
>
>
> Usually on surface finds you can keep them I
> think.. even if its just slightly exposed...
>
> But better check to be safe..Im sure its mission
> period I bet..It has that Feel to it..
>
> Keith

Thanks again Keith and I think you're right! Probably got too thin and the bottom recently wore through, that makes sense.

I found this in a strange place, another reason I posted it here.

Thanks again Keith, appreciate your help smiling smiley

Paul
December 21, 2015 09:52AM
trashdigger Wrote:
> Found one just like that about 3 weeks ago in a
> mission era recently plowed field. it was broke in
> half due to the plowing. Also dug a ball button
> and rifle round ball close by.

That's great TD you found one too, maybe this is the same one? Found it in a weird place, can you post a picture of yours.

Paul
December 21, 2015 11:06AM
Come on guys....that's a tire from Fred Flintstones car, see where the axle goes through? They get small after drag racing with Barney Rubble....then he tosses them. There should be another one nearby.
Kidding aside, that is one sweet find....would be nice if you could keep it on display in your collection....way cool Paul.
December 21, 2015 02:11PM
I didn't take a picture of it but I don't think it is the same one. Your in the gold country of California and I am in the central coast section. I found it close to the side of an old original road that now runs parallel to the new main highway.

TD
December 21, 2015 05:14PM
If it was found on private property, and the owner gave you permission to be there, it is OK in California.
December 21, 2015 06:35PM
That's funny ozzie smiling smiley

Yeah, from memory it sure looked like a rock wheel heavy too at least 10 lbs.

Thanks Sharon, appreciate the information.

TD, this may be the same mortar you found? But you mentioned yours was broken? This particular mortar was lying beside the edge of the plowed field and same type of terrain you're hunting, beside the old Native American/Spainsh road.

Buried it further south above the creek, in that area untouched by plow east of the old road. So congratulations if this was your find, well the odds are incredible if they are the same mortar.

Maybe, in the future we can meet and dig it out together. Then rebury it again, Something like this needs to remain buried.

Thanks again everyone for your encouraging words and many thanks to Keith for the help IDing the mortar.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 06:52PM by Old California.
December 21, 2015 06:37PM
Sharon, what do you base that on?
Paul, you should check out this site [www.westernartifacts.com]
I would think it would take centuries to wear so deep unless it was a soft stone and they did not do that as far as I have seen. They were/are pretty smart about things. IMHO cool smiley

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 21, 2015 06:48PM
Thanks Tom,

Appreciate the Link, wow looks like its packed with valuable West coast Native American information. Will go over it at the library in my next visit, differcult to view from a cell phone.

Many thanks Tom!
Paul
December 22, 2015 05:12AM
Old California Wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> TD, this may be the same mortar you found? But
> you mentioned yours was broken? This particular
> mortar was lying beside the edge of the plowed
> field and same type of terrain you're hunting,
> beside the old Native American/Spainsh road.
>
> Buried it further south above the creek, in that
> area untouched by plow east of the old road. So
> congratulations if this was your find, well the
> odds are incredible if they are the same mortar.
>
> Maybe, in the future we can meet and dig it out
> together. Then rebury it again, Something like
> this needs to remain buried.
>
> Thanks again everyone for your encouraging words
> and many thanks to Keith for the help IDing the
> mortar.
>
> Merry Christmas everyone!
> Paul

You describe the area very accurately.

I'm confused, I thought you were in the gold country.

My error, I meant to write that I had found 2. One broken in half and 1 full piece. Both within about 30 yards of each other and to the north of the lone tree on the east side of the road.
December 22, 2015 05:57PM
Pasttom Wrote:
> Sharon, what do you base that on?

I have a neighbor who finds native American stuff all the time on his land. He has asked the Forestry, BLM, and several law men who all say it is OK, but always tell him to donate some to the local history places.
December 22, 2015 07:27PM
Thanks, Sharon. I believe that is how it should be. It is crazy making that you can get completely opposite answers from agencies whose main responsibility is in that very area. I always try to find the written source of policy since verbal is so arbitrary.
Native American object seem to be governed by unique rules that trump common law and reason.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie