Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any suggestions about damaged coins

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any suggestions about damaged coins
October 14, 2010 09:07PM
I know that I am not the only one who hunts parks has found hundreds of pennys that are post 1970 and have been damaged by the soil, mowers, etc. These coins have been damaged so bad you can not cash them in. so my question is: What can I do with them. There has to be a good use. Only reason I ask is because I have so many. Any thoughts?

thanks
Tom in SC
qwk
Re: Any suggestions about damaged coins
October 15, 2010 03:02AM
If they are copper, recycle them. You will get about 2X face value.
October 15, 2010 03:12PM
A rock tumbler will work wonders on a lot of coins, worth a try.
Tri
October 16, 2010 01:10PM
After a little research, I have noted, if your local merchant or bank will not accept your bent/damaged coins, there is a solution , the following quote comes directly from the US Dept. of Treasury :

"Mutilated coins, on the other hand, are coins that are bent, broken, not whole, or fused or melted together. The United States Mint is the only place that handles redemption of mutilated coins, and they should be sent to the Mint at Post Office Box 400, Philadelphia, PA 19106."

Here is the link: [www.ustreas.gov]
qwk
October 17, 2010 02:49AM
By the time you pay shipping, you wont get much back. Copper prices are at $3 a pound, and it only takes about 150 pennies to make a pound.