Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Xp Deus hunt---- commentary

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Xp Deus hunt---- commentary
December 25, 2015 01:34AM
Well today I hunted for a couple hours in a site I have hunted before with many detectors--- even the Deus but with version 2.0, not 3.2

Targets were very hard to come by.

Area loaded with iron and nails.

Did make a few nonferrous finds though

Ran detector in 18khz reactivity 3'silencer -1, sens 93, 3 tones. 9"coil. Disc of 6.0 and 6.4

A lot of the targets I dug today reported 01 on the meter with tone.

The Deus was challenged but I feel it came through nicely.

Allow me to comment on this tone provided.

Folks when you are in an old site, IMO you are better off just listening for a steady sound vs a higher tone. A sound that seems to repeat with a more careful coil sweep. And pay more attention to how the tone comes in versus how the tone leaves. If the tone when it comes in -- is crackel/pop free and or static free---- and will repeat= dig.
Pay little attention to what happens to the tone at the back end.

I've dug signals before reading 03, 04--- but never 01 signals and definitely never this many signals reading this low.

Deus with 9" coil is q sniffer for sure.

Now Flintstome and maybe others, nothing here really earth shattering from a find's standpoint---- but remember when you are in an old site, take the $1 gold coin, it can hide and hide well, and a person never knows what may turn up in an old site--- better to be safe than sorry.

There are few other detectors out there I feel that could have made the nonferrous recoveries I made here.
Don't underestimate Deus even with a seeming big coil 9" coil.
The audio is there, if one will listen.

Btw, I did find 2 of the old militia buttons here circa 1780-1790s using Deusmwith version 2.0
When I'm in an old site that has produced---I take more chances, gamble more so to speak.
And sometimes when we do this, we infact learn something--- and maybe find something

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2015 03:43PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Xp Deus hunt---- commentary
December 25, 2015 03:25PM
What did you find at 01?? Did you find anything good with 0 #s ?? Don't leave us hang.
December 25, 2015 03:37PM
Post updated with pic...
December 25, 2015 04:40PM
Where you are at and the amount of trash will always dictate how much trash or how many iffy signals you will dig. The areas I like to hunt require that I have a good amount of assurance that there is a coin in the hole. Heck sometimes I even ask my hunting partner for his opinion before I dig. Of course the further I get from the house and the manicured lawn the more risk I take. Weather also plays a role in it. If it is moist like right now I dig more holes. My hunting is usually water only by the end of Spring.
December 25, 2015 06:08PM
With the Deus at disc 6 should you not get signals at 01 ,03and 04. ?
I thought they would be silent.
December 25, 2015 11:04PM
caroly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With the Deus at disc 6 should you not get
> signals at 01 ,03and 04. ?
> I thought they would be silent.

That is indeed what a person would think---- but NOT true

Evidently what happens in the more difficult separation/ unmasking scenarios, the nonferrous target's conductivity is indeed noticed- picked up at a far lower reading as its ID ismdrawn down because of say iron

I've dig quite a few nonferrous targets where they infact report lower than the disc setting.

The the tone is the key--- you,listen and you wil hear it sneak through

Just remember ferrous does report in this range as well

I'm sure Mr Southern will indeed comment on this and attest he has himself experienced.

And let,say say something else here.
Take a nickel, using 12 kHz it reads 56 on Deus meter on air test.
Now if I were running a disc level of 6. There are situations because of iron/ nails being so close or in the detection window, the nickel could read below disc setting providing tone

And there are situations where the nickel may indeed read lower than 56, say 16, which is above disc setting, but below the actual true air test Vdi reading of the nickel.

And there are instances where the nickel could read above ideal Vdi air test on meter

This is why if a person depends solely on a meter,reading making their dig, no dig decisions---- sooner or later a good nonferrous target will be walked by.

Cheers

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2015 02:55PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 26, 2015 02:25AM
Independent (divorced) Audio......vs.......VDI.........vs........Disc.
December 26, 2015 02:39PM
Hi Shooter, Do you use the horseshoe on the Deus that tell you if a target is iron or not? I have only find iron when it is black on iron side. I was just wondering what you had found in the iron. I have only had my Deus for three weeks now and still trying to see what is what. Thanks for the Pic. Flintstone
December 26, 2015 03:12PM
Flintstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Shooter, Do you use the horseshoe on the Deus
> that tell you if a target is iron or not? I have
> only find iron when it is black on iron side. I
> was just wondering what you had found in the iron.
> I have only had my Deus for three weeks now and
> still trying to see what is what. Thanks for the
> Pic. Flintstone

Flinstone,

The ole horseshoe.

My experiences are the horseshoe is a guide to use but it can't be relied on fully.

Iron wrap on big iron will cause the right side ( normally nonferrous) to shade in on horseshoe--- the tone and pinpoint will reveal big(er) iron.

Now sometimes when over a good target-- one that is providing some tone- horseshoe may infact be switching sides from left to right.

And then there are those deeper nonferrous targets where just the tip of the right upper portion shades in

And I have also had a few deep targets where there was no shading at all--- nonferrous targets.

So IMO horseshoe is a guide- and also a guide for depth as well. Target size, detector settings will mostly drive this.

The keY to becoming more proficient with Deus--- concentrate solely on the tone or at least moreso. In an old site definitely let the tone drive your digging decision.

Tone nuance on Deus provides a lot of info. A person depending on their site at hand. Consider the smoothness of overall tone, the way the tone first reports-- ramps up, gradual is better.
Ramps down - gradual is better

But remember in the messiest of,sites with iron/nails, ideal signals may be harder for Deus to provide- yet it's able to produce a signal for user------ a signal indeed that many other detectors are incapable of giving
December 26, 2015 03:28PM
The hotshot is linked to the Audio and is adjusted but ferrous tone break..

yet the weakest of non ferrous won't illuminate the shoe..

The visual I.d. is separate from the Tone..

in dense iron alot of goodies read 1 if you look at meter...

it's a very poorly designed I.D.

on that Note the AT PRO provides some of the best Visual I.D. of any machine I've ever Ran in Iron..

That is if Visual is important to you..

On the Deus just use the Controller for set up and forget it...

I hear the version 4 is supposed to reference the Poor I.D.

Some of my best Cuff buttons read 1 on it..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 26, 2015 03:46PM
BUT.......... the value-added education herein:

1. The detector (Deus in this case) WAS indeed capable of finding the non-ferrous target amongst the iron. (Never to be underestimated or down-played).
2. The audio was 'telling'.
3. The VDI ID was NOT per expectations....... but......... "telling" (but.... by it's own ID intel-signature).
4. The operator learned the nuances and acquired the skill-set for success in some of the most difficult circumstances/handicaps.

End resultant: Success

(and to be repeated........ from here -- forward................... again-and-again).
December 26, 2015 06:00PM
Thank you all for your answers.. I asked the question because I have had great "dig me" tones that were lower than the disc setting.....I was on a Roman site with the disk on 10 and did not dig a "dig me" tone reading 6. The more I thought about it I wished I had dug the signal. The field had a LOT of "coke" in it which could read 45 in the ground and 25-28 out. I had taken some of the coke home with me so I did a test with a silver roman coin next to the coke ...the reading was 6.
( my silver roman coin air tests on the same reading as a dime ? 83 on 12 khz and 87 on 17 khz.)
Never been back to the site but hope to next year....cheers.
December 27, 2015 05:14AM
I am starting to get that feeling again!!! Easily identified......it's a feeling that I have had to contend with on many an occasion: " I might just have to get me another Deus. With a 9 inch coil." Once that feeling hits me.....it takes control of ,y powers of logic. No amount of self control will stop me from hitting the PAY NOW button. I think I may need an intervention!!!!
December 27, 2015 05:39AM
Some of the targets ( nonferrous) that read 1 on the meter were 7" deep. (With 3 reactivity setting)

The Deus is special.

And after you say hit an area with reactivity 3 setting. Then back it off to 2 and try again, you never know, when the coil hits a more open gap, an even deeper target may tone in. And then you can repeat with a 1 reactivity settimg.

Deus is versatile.

Deus is good relic hunter.

And don't underestimate it on coins either.

I know someone who does--- but guess who's been putting the loot in their finds pouch???
December 27, 2015 04:37PM
Sorry guy's I have more ???. If I put the ID # in norm. is that to make the ids all the same, don't mater what KHz you hunt in? I have Andy's book but some things are hard for me to understand.My hearing is bad, and I have trouble with the tones. If I put in three tone, can I run each tone higher? If I could make a large spread between them I might be able to here the deference. I have had my Deus for 3 weeks now and have done good, but I just dig by the vdis the most. About all the low # are foil or iron. I try to dig most 50s and 60s and don't go much lower. Should I be digging 20s and 30s ? Thanks for all the help. flintstone
December 27, 2015 04:48PM
Cheers tns. I will try your changing the reactivity method.
December 28, 2015 10:36AM
Yes on the id norm. Regardless of which frequency your in if norm is on the numbers will be the same. IE

A dime will read the same in 4/ 8/ 12 or 18 khz. But if you turn norm off the dime will read from a low vid for 4 khz and get higher with each frequency change. And yes you can change the pitch of the tones and spread them out. That is what I did. Lowered the low and put the high tone at a higher value. It definitely helped me bear the tones better. Good luck.
December 28, 2015 02:01PM
This looks like more of a one stop shop for Deus video.

Some of these might help some folks.

And when the old cabin fever sets in maybe with cold weather eventually this winter, a person may be bored and would like to watch.

Cheers

[www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com]