Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any thoughts as to why the resale value of the F75's are so low?

Posted by DirtyJohn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any thoughts as to why the resale value of the F75's are so low?
December 29, 2015 05:11PM
I don't get it. They are top performers yet they re-sell for half of the price used over new. Even the CZ's seem to get at least 75% of there original cost. Minelabs around the same. Any thoughts?
HH
John
Re: Any thoughts as to why the resale value of the F75's are so low?
December 29, 2015 05:20PM
I own a F75dst unit.

The lower resale value, I attribute to a combination of things.
Machines ability in iron compared to some.
Machine to many not viewed as serious coin hunter.

The coin hunter machines ( more ideal) seem to hold resell value better than say more ideal relic machines.

So demand is higher for the coin machines.

I wonder sometimes if all the dedicated coin searchers fell off the face of the earth--- how many detectorists actually would be left???
December 29, 2015 05:40PM
Seems all units have taken a hit in resale value. I would think the old formula of pricing by what one is willing to pay vs what some are willing to sell at is still valid. Market is full and turkeys are selling low so buyers are not willing to pay former prices. I thought I could always sell for close to what I bought used, but I was naive. My collection lost about a grand last year by my estimate. I am not willing to part with some very good detectors for next to nothing. Oh well, ya can't take it with you!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 29, 2015 05:52PM
I also own the DST version and thought the F75 was a very good coin shooter on top of it's relic capabilities. It also exceeds in the depth category over a lot of other similarly priced offerings. The FA mode really helps in iron infested sights also.

I remember when they first came out and there were all the comments about how they looked flimsy and cheaply built. I wonder if some of that is still around affecting resale value also.

I've seen Whites machines that also get better resale value and don't know of a single one of them (VLF) that can out perform an F75 upgraded or not. It seems Fisher machines (Especially the F series) seem to suffer from some sort of stigma which I guess is okay if you're looking to buy a barely used machine at a steal.

HH
John
December 29, 2015 06:30PM
Its the time of year.... kind of a breath after Christmas. Market timing.... but a good time to pick one up even as an investment to try then resale.
December 29, 2015 06:32PM
We used to be a quiet niche market. Now we have our own TV shows, and multiples of them. The market got heavily saturated with metal detectors by newbies who did not stick with it, flooding market with used detectors. Add in vastly more new product in the pipeline compared to old days, some at very competitive prices. Why pay good money for a used detector when a new model just as good is coming out for less?

On top of all that, there is warranty, and anyone with a transferable warranty is going to hold value better. First Texas is now actually the odd company out with most everyone else offering transferable warranties. What would you rather pay good money for, an XP DEUS with three years remaining warranty, or a two month old F75 with no warranty to the second owner?

It does not help that the F75 had lots of versions and many issues/updates. You can buy a used White's MXT and pretty much know what you are getting. A used F75? Which version, with which firmware? Too confusing for a lot of people.

Lastly, it is old product, despite updates, with new Fisher flagship around the corner. The real question, given all that, is why would a used F75 be worth a premium price? And I hate saying that because I have a like new DST myself that I may want to sell.
December 29, 2015 06:34PM
There are many 75's not upgraded. Many detectorists can't get used to the sensitivity and the spark of the 75 along with the emi issues on the older units. I have had one since they came out, still own it. Bought a certified LTD from Tom D, still own it. Don't think I'll ever get the dst upgrade....afraid they won't perform as well....like gelding a stallion, so to speak.

These units are worth more to me than I could sell them for. They have found me so many good old coins and still do....why sell a Cadillac to buy a Lincoln or visa versa.....maybe just for a change of pace?

I'll wait for a unit to come out that is heads above a 75 or cz before purchasing....so far here are none out there that will make much of a difference... around here anyway....happy with what I've got.
December 29, 2015 07:01PM
I also thought about the transferable warranty issue also. Even though it has never concerned me much, as long as they still offered service for the machine, I was good.

Minelab has discontinued service for most all of the explorers before the SE pro, yet they still seem to resell better than the F series.

The CZ's are old tech yet I've seen some 3D's that can fetch up to $800.00+. They are dual freq's though.

Oh well, I don't plan on selling the F75 dst anytime soon. I will probably keep adding to the arsenal rather than giving anything away.
HH
John
wjs
December 29, 2015 08:11PM

What would you rather pay good money for, an XP DEUS with three years remaining warranty, or a two month old F75 with no warranty to the second owner?

Exactly
December 29, 2015 08:20PM
I was thinking the warranty not bring transferable is a big factor.
December 29, 2015 08:41PM
It's always simple supply and demand.

flooded market = more supply
no warranty = less demand (although you will occasionally see one with purchased upgrade transferable extended warranty and they fetch more money)

What's bad for dealers, mainly with just the Fisher brand, is the markup is lower than the other brands but the return rate is the highest. (at least for me) Then dealer takes a huge loss due the brand being lowest resale on used market.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2015 08:42PM by detectingMO.
December 29, 2015 08:55PM
You know it's not to late for Fisher to in fact change their 5 year warranty policy--- to transferable

And whose gonna be next to offer a 5 year warranty yet transferable warranty.

The detector field for somewhat higher performance detectors has gotten a bit more crowded as of late.
And there are things a manufacturer can do to breed sales--- even if they can"t it seem release a new flagship detector.

All I can say is if you think the last 4 years or so has changed things a bit.

Just watch the next 4 years---- more players at the card table, hence with more players harder to be the winner all the time!!!!

Depends on who can make the Ace detectors and who makes the King detectors and who makes the Queen detectors.

Xp has the right idea in my book. Now which card will version 4.0 represent???
December 30, 2015 12:27AM
Not a fisher fan till they come out with a new flagship that beats what is out there now and coming..The impact maybe worth waiting for

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 30, 2015 12:56AM
In a nutshell the originals were noisy as heck......buy one used and who knows if its been ugraded, middle graded etc. etc.........thus you never know and that goes for new as imagine you could get old stock as I understand dealers sell or eat.....their stock and can't buy one unit at a time.....
December 30, 2015 01:56AM
I think the major problem as stated above is all the different versions and firmware. Fisher better make sure their next Flagship Detector has user upgrade able firmware (where we can download it from their website and using a USB port, upgrade it).

If FTP is going to make a detector and a few months later upgrade the firmware and have people send the whole detector in to get upgraded, or worse make them pay for the firmware upgrade, they wont sell but a few. Also if they are upgrading the firmware, as far as I am concerned they didn't program it the best that they could to begin with and should pay for it to be upgraded to the latest revision.

XP Detectors have this down pat. Minelab has this ability but in the case of the CTX-3030 they dont upgrade their firmware, so it doesn't matter...lol.
December 30, 2015 03:14AM
The market has been lower after the upgrade. I have been watching the market as I was wanting to sell mine before the upgrade but the market wasn't that good even before the upgrade. I thought the upgrade would add a premium but the problems that came with the upgrade on some units was a big hang up for some. I have seen some sell for a better price through the auction but have seen dealer sell for a door buster price of 500 for a unit that should have gotten at least 600 but had no bitters at that price. Like to sell mine to get a dedicated beach unit. I guess I will hang on to it even though its sitting more than a flagship unit should. Would feel like I'm giving a fine unit away and I know would regret it. Does that make me a MD hoarder? If so I will have to live with the shame with my head held high.
My 75 was one that was done right the first time and it is a great all around unit though I find myself in the dedicated coin hunter column. FA has pulled a lot of coins out of the old house sites with a lot of iron. Noisy but productive! Still use the ET for my go to silver coin hunting MD and like the Flutie silver tone. Have found the Delta Pulse tones can be set up very close to the Minelab tones. I use DP tones when I lock down the Desc. for coins at the park. Kill the nickels(notched back in) as well set up like that.
December 30, 2015 12:08PM
Get Keith or Tom to a brand new review of the F-75. Just sit back and watch everyone hop on the wagon. Those guys sell a hell of a lot of detectors.
December 30, 2015 02:56PM
People like trying new detectors in hopes of finding something that works better for them. I paid a lot for my F75-SE and a lot more to have it upgraded. It's a very good detector and does a good job finding coins when I'm in the mood to do some cherry picking. However, I find myself most of the time grabbing my modded Tesoro Cibola with a NEL Sharpshooter Coil attached when I head out the door to do some serious detecting. It's just more fun to use and finds stuff that other detectors miss. I only paid $250 dollars for it and it has paid for itself many times over. smileys with beer

tabman
December 30, 2015 04:30PM
Everyone has different dirt and some detectors click you can write about all of the scientific info you want but that may not mean anything to me and what I hear or don't hear. Iron is the tricky one where a lot of hunters pass and don't dig..I think Keith gives the most understandable info why he likes a detector but again his dirt and hunting is different from mine. So you just have to try the machine out and see if it works for you. I the Fisher didn't work for me.confused smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 30, 2015 07:00PM
Low you sold a few G2s yourself a few years ago with a very effective video. Keith and NASA Tom do move a lot of machines and spike a lot of interest when they praise a machine's performance. I managed to sell my XP GMP fairly quickly at a fair price because of that I believe- still can't get a twitch on the 5x10 coil,for some reason. Anyway, there have been some great suggestions voiced in this thread, IMHO. I think there may be many reasons, but the market is in a buyers biased mode somewhat due to the middle market buyers being able to get some very good machines cheap compared to premium prices for slightly better flagship units (mixing used and new options). Just 2 cents more.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 30, 2015 08:37PM
I've got a mint F75 and, it's goin' nowhere...cept staying in the cupboard!
It's taken out once a year just "to exercise it!"
December 31, 2015 02:10AM
Probably the majority of detectorists want to relax while detecting ... whatever the reality, the F75 reputation as chatty and sparky makes one look elsewhere, at least for me. There are those that like that sort of machine gun audio ... but they've already got an F75 or some less bothersome equivalent, so they aren't buying, leaving units orphaned on the used market.
December 31, 2015 02:25PM
I have an F75 ltd II and it isn't going anywhere. I have had previous F75's and didn't keep them but I am sure if they went through the upgrade process they would be fine. I also have other top (high Priced) machines and this F75 ltd II has a home with them. Lately the F75 is about all I use because it will hunt with the best of them. I have even found coins at places that have been pounded by every detector out there. Just my 2 cents
January 01, 2016 11:48PM
Just a quick comment on the non transferable Fisher warranty....I think Fisher is missing a great opportunity to add to their bottom line....all that they have to do is make that warranty transferable for a modest fee....in the $50 to $75 range...everyone would come out a winner...the seller, the buyer and Fisher...but I guess that would make to much sense to whoever is in charge of the company.
January 02, 2016 12:19AM
Market is simply saturated with to many used F75's,that's all.
They are a great machine but just too many were sold for the demand to stay high.
It's amazing that Tesoro sells any machines at all as its been a shuffle of the same thing with the knobs relocated and names changed or a II added to the same unit over and over.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
January 02, 2016 12:39AM
I think in general machines on the used market are getting cheaper and cheaper........

Just sold a G2 for $300 and an Etrac for $750 last year. Shipped, not including paypal fees..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2016 12:40AM by fsdigital12.
January 06, 2016 02:32AM
I've had a F75 LTD and then LTD2 now since 2009. I've made a lot of great finds with the F75, but after owning the Racer, I can't help but think what the F75 has missed...but still I'm happy with the F75, especially the LTD2.

I'm keeping an eye out to see what Fisher has up their sleeves, and also waiting to see what the Impact brings, but for now my F75 LTD2 and Racer are great for coin or relic hunting, along with my CZ70 (and actually Racer too) for salt water beach action.