Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett Pro-Pointer 1 vs 2 and Mod for Both...

Posted by Uncle Nudge 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett Pro-Pointer 1 vs 2 and Mod for Both...
January 01, 2016 02:18AM
Just received a PPII... First observations are lanyard eye, more sensitive than original (guessing 10-15%). LED is much brighter, easily twice or triple as bright or more... so now usable light in a dark hole! Rubber button is redesigned sturdier, and believe they fixed the falseing issue some were having, by better insulating internals. My original PP is a well used five plus years old, only falses if you push barrel direction of button. Since I don't dig with it, never an issue. PPII doesn't false any direction, but I still won't dig with it, haha...

Here are my 3 mods I do. Red tape wrap around over speaker hole, to lessen sound and easy to find on dirt. Gorilla tape over rubber on/off button and surrounding area, so no dirt gets inside or build up ever. Those are pretty basic, maybe you do those mods already...

Last mod I haven't seen anyone do, though not saying it hasn't been done. My dirt is typically moist or even half mud a lot here in the NW. It clogs up on the LED and scraper ledge, and you can't tell if PP is on or off (easily). Since the LED brightness was pretty much useless on PPI for in a hole, clearing it for that wasn't a concern. A finger swipe may get enough off to kind of see LED, but forget clearing it totally, the scraper ledge is in the way. So I came up with a solution some time back... Use a razor tool beginning about half inch from LED and taper down the scraper ledge flush with barrel around a quarter inch from and to LED ledge. With this mod, I can quickly swipe it clear with gloves on, which I have really grown to like!

I'm impressed with the added brightness of PPII, so now that the LED is actually useful on PPII as a light source, thought I'd pass this mod on to everyone...

Sent this pic to Garrett as a redesign suggestion, so figured I'd share it here too :-)

Re: Garrett Pro-Pointer 1 vs 2 and Mod for Both...
January 01, 2016 03:16AM
I find the scraper useless and unnecessary. So my solution is to remove it completely. Then put a suitable-diameter length (1.5" / 30mm) of heatshring sleeving over the tip to protect it from wear. I use red or blue shrink, it helps identify which end is which when you come to pick it up in the long grass or poor light. A spot of light-duty adhesive (I've used Evo-stik, and others) helps keep it in place.

To help find it in low light etc, again, white/yellow etc tape can be used, including on the tip shaft as it's now scraper-less and round, but I chose retro-reflective tape, including on the flat area of the battery cap. That way a torch / flashlight could help you find it in the dark.

Put your name and contact phone no. on a bit of paper inside the battery compartment, in case some honest person finds it, or the Police/Parks Dept etc have it.
Re: Garrett Pro-Pointer 1 vs 2 and Mod for Both...
January 01, 2016 03:43AM
Like the note idea.thumbs down

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.