Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Genuine 'whatsit'. Pic included.

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Genuine 'whatsit'. Pic included.
January 02, 2016 06:02AM
Made of iron and I have electrolysis-ed it. It was really a ball of rust. After it's bath......THIS popped out:

The hole in the center of the diamond piece of iron seems to be threaded. I'm sure that this thing isn't Civil War related but I like finding old relics from days gone by, such as old cloths irons that they would heat by the fireplace, etc etc. But I cannot think of a use for this piece. Open to guesses.
Re: Genuine 'whatsit'. Pic included.
January 02, 2016 11:30AM
After much consideration...I have no idea. Wait for some of the other brains to wake up,someone knows....I couldn't tell a genuine old relic from a hole in the ground,except my super old axe head. The "plate pounded around a pole" design is pretty obvious.
GL

Kevin D.
January 02, 2016 12:35PM
Hard to tell on my phone. One part of handmade hinge?
January 02, 2016 01:43PM
Kevin there is an interesting and sometimes useful feature available if you right click that does a Google search of the internet for similar images. However , in order for it to work best , you need to post a picture of only the object on a white background. In this particular case it identifies a series of pictures relating to bent , lacerated and chopped off fingers. confused smiley Just an FYI
January 02, 2016 02:24PM
Agree with hinge piece.
Its a plow nut.
January 02, 2016 05:08PM
Its holds plow blade on to old time plows..

You use a hammer to lock it down and take it loose by hitting the ear sticking up...

See howl its bowl shaped on the bottom it where it cinched...

I've dug literally hundreds in my life..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2016 05:11PM by Keith Southern.
January 02, 2016 06:19PM
Good Heavens Keith!!!! I knew I could count on you!!!! Yet, I do not want to take away the importance, to me, of the other replies and I appreciate them all. Especially that Google feature.
Keith, if I may ask, how does one learn about all of these weird iron objects/relics? I am just plain curious. How did you know? It baffles my mind and I am VERY grateful to you. It makes a find/relic super-nice to actually know what it was used for. I like digging these type things as much, well, ALMOST as much, as digging bullets and buttons. Again......thanks everyone. Got the Deus charged up and ready to go. Think I'll adjust some settings today and see if I can light up any targets. I found most everything yesterday with GM Power...(18 khz)....90 sens......6.4 disc.....2 tones....
The Starr Carbine bullet was every bit as deep as my pinpointer!!!!! With plenty of 'in tact' square nails around. This is some fun stuff.
January 02, 2016 08:14PM
Hey Kevin ..

Im not sure how you can look up a lot of this stuff...

I just know what THAT object is...

After decades of digging them I just know what they are..plus I've actually seen those in use on my Grandads plow when I was a kid..LOL

That's what held the plow blade on the plow..the type plow a mule pulled..

There still in use today ..

Sort of neat if you did not have a hammer you could use a Rock or stick out in the field..one thing for sure a plow blade will get loose in the field..

they have been virtually the same for couple hundred years now..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla