Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

This is a great hobby.

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
This is a great hobby.
January 03, 2016 05:17AM
Slip on the headphones. Tune the world out. Focus on tones. Picture the area as it might have been around 170 yrs ago. And swing the coil of your favorite detector over ground that has been trodden by humans for a century or more. The mystery, and intrigue, and even camaraderie, if hunting with a friend, makes it easy to step out of the rat race for a few hours. Whether it's Civil War relics, or coins, or just plow points and unidentified iron implements......one can hunt an area for a few days and begin to piece together a puzzle from the available evidence (the finds) and begin to reconstruct history. It's neat as can be, ain't it? Here' wishing all of you extremely good luck/skill this year. It's in my blood, again this year, just like it was this time last year. Deer season is coming to a close and the woods once again become deserted by people......except for the man who is slowly swinging the coil and interpreting signals and occasionally feeling the adrenaline rush of that silver glint! Stay safe, forum members!!!!
Re: This is a great hobby.
January 03, 2016 05:31AM
Big 10-4 on the closing of deer season.

Hope this El Niño hangs--- keep the temps up and no frozen ground.

Time to really put the coil to the soil.

Before one knows it--- it will be warm, with the grass and weeds a growing.

And don't forget about that spring turkey season-- again you have those that shoot first ask questions later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2016 05:36AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 04, 2016 09:35AM
The temps have been warm but the rain has been killer. 8+ inches of rain in a week is a lot of water. The ground still hasn't recovered here from the soaking. I have saw water in places I've never seen it in 33 years of life. Prior to the rain, the lake was at winter pool...and with all the rain and runoff, it was beyond SUMMER pool. My dad was fishing earlier this week and casting up into what is normally dry land campground with swing sets/slides and was catching nice bass on spinnerbaits. smiling smiley

I have a few more weeks of 7 days a week work schedule and then SUPPOSED to get days off. I hope so. I am ordering a Blisstool V6 this Friday and wanna see what she can do.
January 04, 2016 04:06PM
Covered that well but forgot the exercise and health benefits which are sure a plus. Indeed especially this year with real warm temps keep out of the wooded areas while hunting season is in to stay safe...
January 04, 2016 04:31PM
I was in the woods yesterday about a mile from my home. Some of the tress had moss growing and same with some of the rocks. There was a creek I had to cross took my waders. The area is about 20 acres with tailings and dug deep pits littered with quarts rock...I said when I die and if I go to heaven this is where I want to be...detecting in the gold country alone

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 06, 2016 05:15AM
I hope that everyone of you has an extremely good experience when swinging!!!!! Metal Detecting ain't about trying to find more than the next man. I reckon that is why I am so drawn to it. It's just a downright fun and VERY interesting pasttime. Good luck/skill guys, (and gals if there are any reading this). I wish that we could all find a pocketful of bullets, buttons, coins, or whatever you enjoy finding. Me? If it's old.....it is valuable to me. I am eaten up with a nostalgic streak. By the way, found my first silver of 2016 today....a 1944 mercury dime. I was as tickled as could be. Found a V-nickel too. One that you could actually read the date and see the V. lol 12 khz with the Deus. 9" coil. Happy New Year to all forum members!!!!!
January 06, 2016 07:07AM
Thx Kevin, Very well put!

R&R at it best no matter what comes to light or what unit you swing...just enjoying the hobby.

Daniel, same over this way. Winter pool was short lived and the Crappie here and there. Sold the v5 and the v6 should be here tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.