Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A lost Go-Pro Silver

Posted by Whimpster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A lost Go-Pro Silver
January 16, 2016 03:31PM
Looking for some advice...my friend got a go-pro harness for his hunting dog for Christmas...first time out the dog came back without the camerasmiling smiley
My friend was in uncut meadow grass about 2 feet tall when he let the dog go...the dog wasn't very far away at anytime...it may have covered about an acre in the meadow before coming back to his owner.
He's asked me if I would take one of my detectors and see if I could find his go-pro...What coil would work best in tall grass...I have large and small coils?

Thanks Bob.
Re: A lost Go-Pro Silver
January 16, 2016 03:36PM
The bigger the better for areal coverage imo. If it has any kind of light emission + is still on, looking at night with a night vision device (or even some cameras) might be an easy way to spot it if it is orientated right. I once found a pistol front night sight that he had lost that way for a friend.

I would also think that being sure of your grid pattern is a must. I'd set up some poles and string or something.
January 16, 2016 04:47PM
This is where a drone would come in handy with a large coil mounted underneath...I'm thinking Bomb Patrol Afghanistan could use some of them too.

I'd never let any dog run around with a few hundred dollar camera...what was he thinking? Hello!!
January 16, 2016 06:01PM
the CZ coils will be more heavy duty and more heavy ..so I would go with those for thick grass work..

Take both coils and see which one slices through the grass better...the 8 should slice well but the 10.5 will cover more but might not slice through as well if its to tall...

Try auto tune its a hotter scan area..

I've found the Bi Axials dont slice the grass to well...and also the 5x10...too much flat surface on the sweep edges..A round coil behaves better in thick grass for pushing through..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 16, 2016 08:08PM
Thanks gentlemen....I also have a 13" Ultimate coil for my G2 or Euro-tek Pro?
January 18, 2016 05:49PM
"Hi Bob,

It's not a case of "how should I search for it?" it's more like "Which detector will be sensitive enough to the minimum metal in the physical body of the camera?"

But it appears like "Good News" because I just did a few 'quick tests' for you on my original "HERO Go-Pro" and both a "multi-frequency" detector and a "single frequency" had no difficulty *picking it up*

But, if I were you I would DEFFO take the G2 w/13" coil...by the sounds of it you're gonna need at least 12" + of detection...what with the long grass scenario?"

Good Hunting: let us know how you go please!

Des D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 05:51PM by Des D.
January 18, 2016 07:21PM
A large coil for coverage and lots of luck in that big of an area..
January 19, 2016 12:11AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A large coil for coverage and lots of luck in that
> big of an area..

You hit the nail on the head with the 'lots of luck' statement.

People chronically underestimate how much area they've covered, when they've lost something.

I can't imagine how much area a dog can cover while you're not watching...worse than kids. smiling smiley
Even if it's really 'only' an acre of tall grass, that's a lot of time/work...

Whimpster, I wish you the best of luck, and do let us know if you find it.

smiling smiley
mike
January 19, 2016 02:32PM
A few years back a tradesman I knew called and said he lost his wad of keys in the woods while pulling his kids on a sled.....snow was about 6" deep.
I followed the sled tracks for 40 minutes, each side. Hardest part was not digging good signals that were deep,lol.
I found the keys, finally. House, car, truck and business keys etc were on that big ring. He was a happy man.
I used an old f-75, 11" coil.
January 19, 2016 03:40PM
"I'm often called to find CAR keys especially.
The luxury models command astronomical prices for replacements - BMW for example...crazy!"
January 20, 2016 10:54PM
Hi Des D

Thanks for the reply....I'm sure it's going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack...but I'll give it the ole boy scout trysmiling smiley
I agree the G2 with the 13" coil will give me the best coverage by far....oh... thanks for the testsmiling smiley
Was going to get out this weekend...but we got hit with 10" of snow...may have to wait on the go-pro for a bit....
I hate winter!!

I'll let you know if my results were successful smiling smiley

Bob.