Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Spring time release is a design failure.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Spring time release is a design failure.
January 17, 2016 04:46PM
Here is the issue that I am seeing. These companies push everything out in the spring which, in my opinion, hurts sales for a number of reasons, one the biggest ones being that money is tight. People are still paying off holiday bills and getting ready for Spring time home improvements

Another big reason is, every company that releases a machine in the spring, will have every single customer be a guinea pig for product testing and if there are issues(ex. the f75 upgrade debacle), you will be missing out in the most critical part of the season to get your new unit repaired. NOBODY wants to be stuck with a dud.

The right time to release products is in the fall, AFTER most the season is over and the holidays are coming. My biggest point of contention here is, that if they offered in the fall, they can work out the issues BEFORE the critical start of the season.

I am interested in a few machines. The need for me is unmasking in target rich environments:
Impact
MX sport
Chaser
Quest

I dont have the money to buy all four machines. So here are my concerns with each machine:

Quest: To me, this is an unproven manufacture. The machine seems to overload quite a bit and the TID seems very unstable,

Chaser: Although they make the ultimate coils, I don't know their track record concerning machines. I have yet to see a video of it in action.

MX sport: This looks very promising and Whites has an excellent track record with service. However, I saw the video of the MXT sticking tones and Whites TIDs have a tendency to bounce around a lot. If it can unmask with a stable TID then we might have a winner IF the price is right.

Impact: Nokta/Makro with the release of the Racer and there exceptional attentiveness to the customer in and of itself is a force to be reckoned with. IF the overload issue is corrected, the spreading out of the TID(if everything is an 82 then whats the point right?), it retains last settings, AND the price is right, then this too is a viable option. I am really hoping for a depth meter on it as well.

Well, hopefully, these companies will push these machines out soon, otherwise i might have to wait until the 2017 season to enjoy them.
Re: Spring time release is a design failure.
January 17, 2016 05:01PM
I agree.

Releasing units especially flagship units or a unit a company may deem as their new " bread and butter" unit--- Jul/August/Sep the best months to release.

I'm sure there are many things that drive a company's decision for release date.

For example

Is the unit ready--- did it indeed suffer setbacks affecting release date

The competition's releases--- would it be smarter sometimes to let the newness of a competitor"s new release to wear off-- so theirs could be more in the spotlight.

I guess if a company was indeed releasing a somewhat shoddy machine the reverse of the above may be considered-- to mask such an inferior unit.

Has all the necessary advertising/ publicity, and even the dealers --- are the processes to indeed make sales in place/ position.

Are needed accessory items --- are they indeed available and ready for sale to the public via dealers

Is the warranty repair department ready to accept faulty units I.e. Do they have the needed training, etc

I'm sure I have let out a few things

But one can get the idea--- these overall " Logistical" issues are important

And we have all seen it

This putting the "Cart Before the Horse".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 05:03PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 17, 2016 05:59PM
These suggestions sound very US / Northern Hemisphere specific.
Different customers have different 'seasons', or none at all. I'm sure there are good and bad times to release a new machine, but such factors as rival manufacturers product launches may play a part. And the simple fact that the product is ready for launch, is a good enough reason to do so.
January 17, 2016 07:17PM
I think anytime is a good for a new detector but for most the spring is when snow melts when we get our tax money back...In Calif we can hunt all year long..I don't think they really plan on the release date because so much has to take place for them to get things almost right. As long as I have a detector I trust like the racer and deus you can release a new machine anytime

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 17, 2016 09:58PM
Down south this is the season to be detecting,we reach a low of 31 last night and high today in mid 50's.
Up until the last few days its been in the high 70's to low 80's.
Hottest winter here in n.w Florida in my 57 yrs.

As far as seasons for buying I have not ever gave it any thought,its a itch with me.
It's a very expensive itch that hydrocortisone spray does not help.
I'm in a constant state of wanting to try a new machine even after all these yrs.
Still my favorite is my CZ's and pretty much anything Dave.J has been in on.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 09:58PM by supertraq.
January 17, 2016 10:28PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think anytime is a good for a new detector but
> for most the spring is when snow melts when we get
> our tax money back...In Calif we can hunt all year
> long..I don't think they really plan on the
> release date because so much has to take place for
> them to get things almost right. As long as I have
> a detector I trust like the racer and deus you can
> release a new machine anytime

My thoughts exactly! Jeff
January 18, 2016 12:56AM
for me ANY launch is a good launch....especially one that catches you by surprise...

the more the merrier...
January 18, 2016 02:39AM
I think it's the perfect time to release a machine flagship or not., give it time for any bugs to be fixed before the warm weather arrives. Even the Racer had a few things which showed up like the coil bolts and coil ears but like almost all companies out there it was taken care of. I think it is time for some nice weather you guys have way to much time on your hands. Maybe you guys who hAve all the right answers to how these detector companies should design, test, price, release, warrant their products and communicate with the forum gurus should get together and start your own. I am sure you guys could do a much better job.
JD Digger
January 18, 2016 02:21PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the issue that I am seeing. These
> companies push everything out in the spring which,
> in my opinion, hurts sales for a number of
> reasons, one the biggest ones being that money is
> tight. People are still paying off holiday bills
> and getting ready for Spring time home
> improvements
>
> Another big reason is, every company that releases
> a machine in the spring, will have every single
> customer be a guinea pig for product testing and
> if there are issues(ex. the f75 upgrade debacle),
> you will be missing out in the most critical part
> of the season to get your new unit repaired.
> NOBODY wants to be stuck with a dud.
>
> The right time to release products is in the fall,
> AFTER most the season is over and the holidays are
> coming. My biggest point of contention here is,
> that if they offered in the fall, they can work
> out the issues BEFORE the critical start of the
> season.
>
> I am interested in a few machines. The need for me
> is unmasking in target rich environments:
> Impact
> MX sport
> Chaser
> Quest
>
> I dont have the money to buy all four machines. So
> here are my concerns with each machine:
>
> Quest: To me, this is an unproven manufacture. The
> machine seems to overload quite a bit and the TID
> seems very unstable,
>
> Chaser: Although they make the ultimate coils, I
> don't know their track record concerning machines.
> I have yet to see a video of it in action.
>
> MX sport: This looks very promising and Whites has
> an excellent track record with service. However, I
> saw the video of the MXT sticking tones and Whites
> TIDs have a tendency to bounce around a lot. If it
> can unmask with a stable TID then we might have a
> winner IF the price is right.
>
> Impact: Nokta/Makro with the release of the Racer
> and there exceptional attentiveness to the
> customer in and of itself is a force to be
> reckoned with. IF the overload issue is corrected,
> the spreading out of the TID(if everything is an
> 82 then whats the point right?), it retains last
> settings, AND the price is right, then this too is
> a viable option. I am really hoping for a depth
> meter on it as well.
>
> Well, hopefully, these companies will push these
> machines out soon, otherwise i might have to wait
> until the 2017 season to enjoy them.

So, according to you, you want these machines to be released "soon."
But not this spring because spring time release is a design failure, according to you.
So, according to you, these machines should be released in the fall, a little before the holidays.
But then there is the "real" field testing to be done to debug the machines prior to you actually buying one.
According to you, you hope you don't have to wait until 2017 to buy your machine.
But the debugging of the machines by the early adopters won't be done until the spring of 2017, because,
according to you, late fall is the best time for product releases.

Well, good luck with that <g>.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
January 18, 2016 02:49PM
There are many products that are released at certain times of the year. I was just stating an opinion that the smart money for manufactures is in the fall. I am not saying dont release these machines THIS Spring. I am saying they should of been released already. I hope I am wrong and all these machines are released without any issues. However, if they are, then you will have a very disappointed customer base. I am basing this off the f75 incident. people are selling them like it's going out of style and nobody is buying them.
January 18, 2016 03:09PM
My feeling is release them when they are well tested and ready to go comes to mind....Am sure many variables come into play with each individual unit or manufacturer.