Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Recent vintage detector park finds, and using Whites meter assemblies

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Recent vintage detector park finds, and using Whites meter assemblies
February 14, 2016 01:08AM
Spent some time on a few projects these past 6 weeks, two completely new mods and one from long ago changing the meter assembly to a Whites housing.

Must say, these have been fun projects, finally got all the bugs out and started to detect an old park.

Dan, I believe you had mentioned recently my two Teknetics are the deepest. That they are for deep audio/target ID. Spent about 3-4 hours total between the three detectors, dug six coins and two neat vintage pins.

All coins were down between 8"-9" inches, one barber dime, two V-Nickels, one Indian penny two wheats.

These old machines are pretty deep, in the high area they will detect the deeper coins.

With the Mark I, used an analog meter assembly from a Whites Gold Master. Even took advantage of using the push tabs, Disc far left with the two center tabs for all metal and GB. Pretty cool setup, had to cover the Gold Master Ferrous/Non Ferrous meter plate with a Compass Scanner Series ID plate. ID's perfect, no need for a Toggle switch push tabs do the job and within fingers reach.

The Coin Scanner Pro mode is a beauty, these Whites T-Handles are great! In case some of you are looking for cool projects, try going with the whites meter assemblies housing.

Posted the Mark III six weeks ago, must share its deadly on deep coins even with the Fisher F2/F5 DD.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

Re: Recent vintage detector park finds, and using Whites meter assemblies
February 14, 2016 02:20AM
Great finds, great detectors! Jeff
February 14, 2016 03:04AM
Nice looking detectors and great finds too.
February 14, 2016 03:05AM
better than i am doing

Curantly own a Mirage P.I made by sven , and a silver Umax with ground balance mode, and a Tesoro Tejon
February 14, 2016 03:36AM
Glad ya got some digging in Paul. Quite a few of the older units still hold there own. Nice saves
February 14, 2016 03:21PM
Thanks Jeff, Gunnar, Rick and Tom,

Yesterday's hunt narrowed down my pick between the three for deep park coins, the two Teknetics are the deepest. The Coin Scanner Pro II is OK, but doesn't have the extra boost of sensitivity to punch down to get the deeper coins. But the Coin Scanner Pro is great for gold jewelry or quick clad, a joy to use .

Many out there have never seen the Teknetics Mark 1 or Mark III depth capabilities, they would be surprised. For an old machine, they still punch down deep.

Thanks again
Paul
February 14, 2016 05:02PM
My old Compass Gold Scanner Pro would hit coins as deep as anything I have used since. The "more depth" thing has been a joke for decades. if all the machine claims of more and better depth since then had been true we would be detecting dimes at two feet.
February 14, 2016 06:54PM
So true Steve, depth hasn't changed that much since the mid eighties, a few machines from that era were deep and considered deep compared with today's ID machines.

On the non-metered detectors, I have to share Blisstool has earned my trust as being the deepest VLF for non-metered detector. Especially , the v5 & v6 those two have been improved over the older versions. For me, not so much on depth over the v3 or others but with stability, these tow new Blisstool's are really smooth.

And I agree, depth wise with target ID nothing really changed, at least as compared with the few deep analog detectors from the eighties era.

I have couple of Gold Scanner Pro's, still to this day they can pull there weight in especially with sensitivity on the tinest finds.

Paul
February 14, 2016 08:08PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>The "more depth" thing has been a joke for decades. if all
> the machine claims of more and better depth since
> then had been true we would be detecting dimes at
> two feet.

+1
February 14, 2016 08:33PM
Very Nice Work Paul!!

Very Nice Finds!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 15, 2016 12:54AM
You do some good work.

Nice finds as well.

If I owned a detector company--- I would hire you in a heartbeat.
February 15, 2016 03:41AM
Thanks Keith and TNSS,

Got out to the same park today, met my Buddy Denny. Denny upgraded to the Minelab 3030 a few years back, I sold my 3030 to Flinstone two years ago keeping my XS and SE.

First thing, showed Denny the test bed of buried wheat pennies at this park. Both the 3030 & SE could detect the 7", 8" & 9" buried pennies. The Mark I with Fisher DD detected both 7" & 8" buried pennies, but struggled with the 9" penny. That's ok, had it been using the 10" coil the Mark I would have detected the 9" penny, barely that is. Denny was impressed with the Mark I depth, especially with the smaller elliptical DD.

From there, we each went out way Denny with his 3030 I choose the SE. My first deep signal was a weak deep nickel signal, even called it explorers are great IDing deep nickels. Sure enough a deep V-Nickel and measured at 9.5" inches.

After pulling out the nickel, reburied the Coin at 9.5" inches so Denny would compare the signal with his 3030 and I wanted to try the Mark I on this signal as well. His 3030 could detect the nickel, weak at best but still a diggable signal. The Mark I was barely getting the signal, but it was there and a miracle just to get the signal with the elliptical DD. These are with Disc mode, not all metal.

Wanted to share the Mark I or Mark III with the Fisher elliptical DD is deep, the elliptical DD redeemed itself with these recent hunts.

Those having a Mark III or I seriously should consider getting the elliptical DD, I've got a NEL elliptical DD coming soon, same size as the Fisher DD and will be comparing both. Will share results, hopefully both fare the same as NEL DD may be easier to obtain.

When the hunt was over, snagged two more nickels. Another V-Nickel and a buffalo, A cool piece of vintage jewelry, no high conductive coins but scoring three old nickels was still a joy.

Denny Scored a buffalo nickel, considering our short hunt we both did well.

Denny and I are planning a relic hunt up to gold country soon, hopefully if our schedules work out maybe 2-4 weeks from now.

Great hobby, great people, digging up finds from the past doesn't get any better.

Thanks again,
Paul

April 23, 2016 11:23AM
Very nice mods, Paul. I love to see these old machines hold their own with the newer models. The Mark 1 is one of my favorites. Great finds and nice presentation on your post. Look forward to seeing more.
April 23, 2016 10:52PM
Your going to have a long wait--Paul's not on this forum anymore.