Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Etrac vs CZ 3D in depth

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Etrac vs CZ 3D in depth
October 30, 2012 05:16PM
Can anyone experienced with the above mentioned machines in moderate min soil comment on depth of the Etrac w a 12" SunRay coil and a CZ 3D (1021 air tests @ 12+")w SunRay "12 coil.

As far as I can tell they both seem to be pretty even....

Just curious as I have both and considering selling the Etrac coil.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 06:47PM by Aaron.
Re: Etrac vs CZ 3D in depth
October 30, 2012 11:20PM
Aaron,

I don't have any experience with an E-Trac with a 12 inch Sunray, so I would first ask what is the depth difference between that coil and the 11 inch Pro Coil that it comes with. I would say that if the depth difference is minimal, than sell the Minelab Sunray coil.

I know there is a 1 1-1/2 inch depth difference between the 10.5 inch CZ coil and Sunray 12 on a CZ ( at least when testing my 2 CZ coils) so I would think it would be more advantageous to keep the Sunray for the CZ as opposed to the one for the E-Trac.

Only caveat is you may get a bit more for the Sunray FZ-12 for the CZ since they don't make them any longer and they are hard to get.
October 30, 2012 11:56PM
Stock coil to stock coil, my Tom ($}*%;@&!€ calibrated CZ3D was approximately 0.5-1.0" deeper compared to two Etracs running manual +5. The same Etracs were approximately 1" deeper than that same 3D "pre-calibrated."

I'd never recommend using an uncalibrated used CZ-3D versus a used Etrac. I've handled four Etracs and every unit performed well and was consistent unit to unit. The same cannot be said of the CZ line.
October 31, 2012 03:19AM
Im not planning on selling the CZ SunRay coil, its the SunRay Etrac 12" coil Im thinking of letting go.

Thanks for the input.
October 31, 2012 08:03AM
Aaron - I didn't even know that Sunray made a 12" coil for the E-Trac. I have the stock and the 13" Detech. The latter might be better than the stock in every way. Weight is similar.
How is the weight of the 12" Sunray and do you think it is a stock coil replacement? What are it's advantages? DD or Concentric?

Take care,
Albert
October 31, 2012 09:43AM
Yes Albert it's the DD Stealth X-12. To be honest I've only used it 1 time. I have all the SunRay coils but the 2 I use the most are the stock Procoil and the X-5. All the SunRay coils are pretty light, and the X-12 is couple ounces heavier than the Procoil
October 31, 2012 11:13AM
In inert mineralization .... to mild mineralization ..... to medium mineralization (vague terms)....... the CZ audibly presents better 'human intelligible' attributes.............................. especially with deeper targets. In medium-high...... or higher...... mineralization, the Minelab is the trump-card.
October 31, 2012 11:49AM
Well then Tom, I really have to try a CZ out one of these days.

My ground is somewhat mineralized. Clearly not too bad since with my E-Trac I have found a silver dime (in Germany) at 8" and many dimes sized zinc and bronze coins at 8"-9". On the E-Trac, non silver coins usually jump all over the screen, but the tone is good. I measure depth with a retractable tape and/or the Lesche blade/handle, so when I say 8" or 9", that it is. And I don't scoop out 4" at a time when deep and measure the hole depth. When I get down to around 7" I start taking the soil out slower and checking with my Garrett to get a good idea of where the coin is, so these are honest measurements. Some videos I see the fellas could easily be adding 2" of depth the way they "assume" the coin was at the deepest part of the plug.

I was always worried about getting depth with a concentric coil in my ground and the iron level was/is another concern.

Albert
October 31, 2012 11:50AM
Aaron I've used the X-12 on my E-Trac for quite a while and don't think I will ever get rid of it. I have used it in the fields and in the my local parks. The X-12 is very light for a large coil (actually 12 1/2" measured) and very accurate in pinpointing. I've found many flat buttons out in the fields and it works surprisingly good in my local park after working areas with the X-8 coil. I was surprised how many coins I found from the wrap around effect. I found several nickels on their sides. It added another dimension after I used the smaller coil. I suppose part of it was from covering more ground in my swing, more depth and the fact that it is a DD coil. I'm not saying you couldn't do it with the 13" Ultimate coil or the SEF 10" x 12" coil but I haven't used them yet. I'll try the 13" Ultimate in the near future and see if I can pull any more goodies from my favorite spots...smiling smiley
October 31, 2012 12:54PM
Tracyjm - Thanks for your respones. Please post your results regarding the 13" Detech when you get to try it out. I really like the coil. The performance between it and the 12X10 to me was mostly a wash. The 13" Detech hits harder, or has a louder volume though (that might just be due to the windings being "off".) The weight of the 13" Detech over the 12X10 though, is a HUGE difference - 13" Detech takes the crown there. The 13" Detech might actually separate better than the stock coil, though when targets about it is a bit too much noise wise.

Albert
October 31, 2012 02:03PM
Sunray makes good expensive coils and for the case of argument lets dial in proficiency and area where you are hunting and call it a tie as both are deep seekers and imagine if you polled a bunch of detectorists probably too close to call( have to stop watching those presidential election polls)....

Certainly not talking about air tests or recently buried objects but in the field with old coins where it really counts...
October 31, 2012 02:36PM
Thanks for the input so far, good stuff.

Here's the thing. In my area, which is very historic, we have a lot of clay. Infact in my area alone there were over 50 brick yards. Stuff just doesn't sink that far, I'm fortunate if I find a coin over 7". Probably the deepest coin I've found was 10", which was a Indian head. I rarely ever use coils over 10".
November 01, 2012 11:14AM
Albert................ If only to get a regular 12.0" CZ in your hands for you to experience/judge.
November 01, 2012 12:38PM
#1021 3D hard to come by these days, let alone @ 12"