Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2 silver dollars

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
2 silver dollars
February 24, 2016 10:35AM
I am 71 and started hunting with a detector at age 19. I have only found 1 silver dollar and that was with a cz3d. A fellow worker just bought a at pro and has never hunted before. The other day he found 2 silver dollars about 10 feet apart... guess he is living right. Who has found a silver dollar???????????????
Re: 2 silver dollars
February 24, 2016 11:40AM
I have...a near perfect Peace Dollar.....I believe it was also using a cz3d. Would love to find a very early one...that'd be way cool.
February 24, 2016 01:11PM
Just goes to show....it has to be there to be found....
February 24, 2016 01:17PM
I have found 4 in the last ten years, since retiring. And, if my memory serves me right, I found 2 the previous 30+ years of detecting. HH jim tn
February 24, 2016 01:37PM
5 years, 7 months and 8 days after I started in this hobby I found a Peace dollar.
I had gone out hunting earlier in the day and after I came home my wife took over the tv to watch a movie I was not interested in so I walked up to my nearest old park just to wander around to look for out of the way sites to hit in the future.
This was in the dry period last September, here in the SE. the dirt gets rock hard so I wasn't digging much past 1-2" because it was a hassle.
I got a high tone pretty stable signal at 4" in one of those out of the way areas and even though I actually believed this was a thick can or other junk I went after it because I had not gotten many good signals at all in this area, had not dug anything for several minutes and just got curious.
Did not suspect a thing and it took awhile to chop and scrape down to that 4" depth.
When I got down there I stuck my digger tip in and flipped up one more bit of hard packed dirt.
I saw a round silver looking rim still mostly covered with dirt and it looked to me like just the top of a small diameter can, still had no clue as I grabbed it to get it out of the way so I could check the hole again to see if it was masking something better.
When I grabbed it it felt unusually heavy, I rubbed the dirt off the front and saw the image and the date 1922 and held my breath.
I still can relive everything I felt at that instant just like it happened 5 minutes ago every time I pick up this big coin and hold it in my hand...which I do often.

The funny thing is...tragic for me at the time, was a couple years ago in another park in another state I thought I had found this same coin before and I was at first thrilled and then totally broken hearted.
This was not a Peace Dollar but one of those souvenir coins made and sold after one of the newer Batman movies came out...a scarred up on one side two headed coin carried by the Two-Face character in the movie and the comics.
Cool find in its own right but a cruel joke at the time I found it.
Finding a real one was fate and I guess vindication.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 01:53PM by diggwr27.
February 24, 2016 02:39PM
I feel the size and weight of one may have the hunter mistake for junk along with few lost might be the problem in so little of them being found.
Approx. 25 years and none ever found myself...
February 24, 2016 03:50PM
I picked one up about 4 years ago on the beach. I suspect it may have been carried by an lod military guy as a challeng coin. I remember 2nd Lts used to give um on promotion.

Dew
February 24, 2016 03:59PM
I have at least a dozen maybe more

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 24, 2016 03:59PM
Yea I've been hunting since 93 and still no dollar.
I believe there value,a dollar was a lot back then combined with size meant few were lost,relatively speaking.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
February 24, 2016 04:47PM
Got my first one last year when I detected a coin spill:

Funny thing about the coin spill, I started digging weaties and indians and buffalos and wasn't too excited about it, because the site dates to the late 1700's, so the coins I was looking for were 100+ years older, but after I dug the 1878 Morgan dollar in the coin spill, I was happy drinking smiley

hh,
Brian
February 24, 2016 04:50PM
Congrats Sonny and others finding at least one silver dollar, and to your newbie friend with the AT Pro finding two.

A good friend of mine found 3, within a 15 year prieod. I've yet to find one, been detecting over 30 years. To be honest, somehow deep down I feel a silver dollar find will never happen.

Paul
February 24, 2016 05:28PM
Old California Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congrats Sonny and others finding at least one
> silver dollar, and to your newbie friend with the
> AT Pro finding two.
>
> A good friend of mine found 3, within a 15 year
> prieod. I've yet to find one, been detecting over
> 30 years. To be honest, somehow deep down I feel a
> silver dollar find will never happen.
>
> Paul

I thought that way too.
I lived in Kansas for three years where it seemed everyone was finding them, just kick over a rock and you would see one but it never happened to me.
Then I moved back to Alabama and even though I hunt some old parks the limited depth possible got me believing my chances were reduced to slim and none...and Slim left town.
When I literally least expected it out of the blue came a complete surprise.
If it could happen to me it could happen to anybody.

Never give up...Never surrender!

As mentioned above the shear size of this type of target might fool us...especially in damp soil.
Two of my best finds ever seemed to be large targets like cans, bigger than any coin even that silver dollar I found in bone dry soil for some reason.
The other one was in dirt close to the edge of a lake, a site I hunted many times and know for sure I skipped over many times because I was so sure it was a shallow full can every time because it was so large.
Finally one day I dug it just to get it out of the way and got the other major surprise of my career.
It was no can, never was, it was a gold pocket watch instead.
February 24, 2016 05:31PM
I have found 3 in my 40 years of hunting. 1889 Morgan...1922 & 1923 Peace.
February 24, 2016 07:28PM
I have been detecting since 1971. I found my very first silver dollar, a 1921 Morgan, just last month!
February 24, 2016 08:51PM
Just one in 17 years of detecting, an1882 found with a CZ-5 at an old harness track that was renovated into modern sports fields.
February 24, 2016 09:10PM
Congrats to your Friend!!

Here's mine

2 inches deep...In a Civil War site...till I got the dirt off it I was Praying it was a seated dollar..

then I saw it wasnt and it was a let down then I got excited again just because it was a Dollar LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 24, 2016 09:24PM
Picked up my first detector when I was 10 years old, my Dad's homemade BFO, but have only been seriously detecting for 10 years. Never found a Silver Dollar. Found a Gold Coin once! The biggest Silver has been a Half Dollar. Fun to see these stories though!
February 24, 2016 10:28PM
Here's a link where I found these. In addition, I have found a 1889 dollar. Not pictured.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
February 24, 2016 11:17PM
So after looking at the finds over at that other forum I had it in my mind everyone found old rare coins every day all day long! I've fould one morgan on the beach that I'm fairly certain was a fresh drop.
February 25, 2016 09:13PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congrats to your Friend!!
>
>
> Here's mine
>
> 2 inches deep...In a Civil War site...till I got
> the dirt off it I was Praying it was a seated
> dollar..
>
> then I saw it wasnt and it was a let down then I
> got excited again just because it was a Dollar
> LOL!!
>
> [i957.photobucket.com]
> bb2eaaca3d1721478e7f27402afa15_zpscvgqrgv0.jpg
>
>
> Keith
Hey Keith, Is that the one you Found with the Fisher Edge I.D. ?
February 25, 2016 10:24PM
Yes Sir the Edge dug that One !!

Awesome unit!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 25, 2016 10:44PM
Yes it was a underated Detector for sure as I had one for a short time myself.
February 25, 2016 11:20PM
Ill tell ya..When you put that 6 inch coil on the Edge and went into a Iron infestation site that thing would amaze you on Low conductor's..

I had problems around here with the big coil reading everything 36 at depth especially hot rocks.... the little coil did not do this..

But at the same time I dug some 13 inch 3 ringers with that 10.5 coil...

I wish I knew were Dimitar (Engineer for Fisher then) went..Wonder is he still builds detectors now...He designed those last Fishers from scratch...Clean slate...He left some things off but he got a lot of things right also..

True Sleepers From Fisher Right there at the End!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 26, 2016 12:20AM
Congrats Soony on the silver dollar
I found a 1880 Morgan last fall in a field site with the V3i Not sure if I posted it here or not. Ive only found 2 over the years.
HH
Corey
February 26, 2016 12:34AM
Only silver dollar I can remember was from 1986 or 87 when I first started. Not been lucky enough to put a coil over another. I used it on a plaque for my dad, I'll get a picture of it. Has two in it...one from me and the other from him that the coal mines gave him.

Would say these days it's all in location and how ya hold your mouth while hunting lol
February 26, 2016 01:13AM
Detecting over 40 years and found two in the last 5 years . One was with the Etrac and the last was with the CTX . Both in hard hit public parks. First one was in a pile of pulltabs at about 3 inches and last one was over 12" with the large coil on the CTX .
February 26, 2016 01:28AM
I've hunted on and off since the middle part of the 80's. I've never found one but I've got a few Barber halves.

I've been really hoping to find one of the oddball denominations one day like a three cent nickel or a trime or two center or a twenty cent piece or (I shouldn't say it) a gold coin.

Maybe they're all hiding under those silver dollars I've never found.

HH
John
February 26, 2016 01:41AM
I found a morgan in a park close by with a Sovereign. Wasn't deep and I wasn't careful digging and put a small scratch on it. I gave it to my nephew.
February 26, 2016 04:31AM
I've never found one. I found one of those newer dollar coins but never a silver dollar. Big silver is scarce in these parts. Seldom will you ever find even a quarter here. I have dug some of the coins that I would have thought would have been harder to find than a silver dollar or half. I've found 3 half dimes, a flying eagle cent, and a 2 cent piece. But a lot of the more common coins elude me.
February 26, 2016 09:59AM
Silver dollars are on my bucket list for sure. Many of you have obviously had great success, way to go.

Several years ago me and my detecting buddy were detecting the local Fairgrounds. I did manage to pull three clad "IKE" dollars from a small area next to a cattle barn. But these dates were not silver, dang it!

Anyway, great job and congratulations to all of you lucky guys. God Bless smiling smiley