Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75LTD vs Omega for coin shooting

Posted by go-rebels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75LTD vs Omega for coin shooting
November 23, 2010 12:15AM
I have an opportunity to pick up a clean used Omega but am not certain if it will be an advantage over my LTD. I work mainly old homesites and factories, some with heavy trash issues.

I'm reluctant to take any time away from my primary machine so I only own one today and always need a convincing argument to switch, even for a short time.

Remember, coin hunting only.
Re: F75LTD vs Omega for coin shooting
November 23, 2010 12:47AM
I have owned both detectors. I found the Omega to be a great coin hunter. It is very quiet and stable machine. On depth it is not as deep as the LTD but can still hold it own in very trashy areas. I found that with the 11" DD coil you could get very good depth but I was unable to use it in trashy areas. The Stock 10" coil was perfect for me in trash. I ran the disc at 16, volume at max, sensitivity at 99 and used 4 tones. It was still very quiet and I was able to pick targets out very easy. If I was just coin hunting, I would take the Omega or the new G2 as my go to detector. Relic hunting the LTD is hard to beat. The G2 would be close and then the Omega.. If all you are after is coins, YES the Omega is worth a hard look. Hope this help and if you get the Omega and do not like it, they seem to hold their value pretty well and you should not have any trouble getting your money back.
November 23, 2010 01:23AM
If you are in a strong 'need' for another unit....back-up unit ... or otherwise......sure, the Omega would fit your bill; otherwise, learn the F75 LTD well...and never look back.
November 23, 2010 01:29AM
Words of wisdom. I'll take that.
I need to learn the LTD.
November 23, 2010 03:01AM
The LTD is a great machine but in Calif it can have its ups and downs. For coin hunting I would go for the 8000 and it is a great relic hunter. You can't just hunt with one machine all of the time...well I guess you can but the hobby has so much to offer why not two. I love the Omega and it did really well in iron and found me an old gun...that the LTD misssed..Different freq can make a difference on coins.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 06:54PM by Lawrenzo.
November 23, 2010 07:39AM
tom!
in your view,would you say the "'standard" f-75 is as good as the omega on coins,or better?
which one would be deeper?..thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.
November 23, 2010 09:36AM
I sold my T2 after having had it for 3 years after one weekend with the Omega. I hunt coins pretty much only though and found the Omega to be better than the T2 (which is very much like the F75) on coins - especially those copper and silver ones. But, I still have found very small silver coins with the Omega and they hit hard. Also, something I can't explain, I find deeper coins with my Omega than I ever did with my T2. My soil is low to zero in mineralization (1 or no bars on the Fe3.. graph on my Omega).

As others have said, the F75 is probably the best for relics, but for coins I take the Omega with 11"DD coil.
November 23, 2010 11:29AM
Just my opinion but if you tend to use the 11" DD the most and need max depth, stay with the LTD. For smaller coils in heavy iron/trash where there may be some missed 'mid-depth' coins... Omega.

Using small coils is where the lower frequencies increased response to high conductors shows the greatest benefit over higher freq machines. That said I have not used an LTD so I could be totally wrong.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 11:35AM by Jackpine.
November 23, 2010 05:20PM
It depends on the site. Most places I prefer the Omega over the F75 LTD for coin hunting. I have one site where the LTD is as good, on the others I tend to dig too many "ghost signals" with the LTD. None of that with the Omega. For the best depth you have to watch the GB on the Omega, it is less forgiving and you will lose some depth if it isn't set right... but on medium depth to shallow coins the Omega is absoultely deadly. I was at a hard hunted park last week and hit a small spot with three nickels... two buffalos and a V.. the Omega was perfect on them. I like the 11" coil better than the 10" but I don't yet have the 5" coil.

Personally, I would choose the Omega over the LTD everytime for coin hunting.

I have a friend who has an Omega. He also has a minnie buried at 10" in his yard. It has been buried there for about 21 yrs. His Omega will hit it and ID it with the 10" coil... (if the GB is set right). Many detectors won't hit it and some that do wont ID it correctly. My LTD would not correctly ID it, neither would his. The V3 will hit it, ID it and stop you in your tracks.. so will the E-TRAC. I have not personally seen how the Omega hits it but he told me it does well.

Julien
November 23, 2010 07:42PM
Jbow, thanks for the balancing tip regarding the Omega. I'm pretty good about GB'ing my Omega but sometimes I don't pay as much attention. That won't happen again.

Anyway, I often do both a pump and then a manual GB just to get it more precise. And I run it slightly positive (never more than 1 or 2 points)
November 23, 2010 10:50PM
The original T2 and the Omega are nearly identical.....IRT depth.... on high-conductor coins. The F75 LTD is far more 'coin' capable ... vs. .... the Omega.......in MANY applications/conditions.

YET.............THERE LIES A 'OMEGA ONLY' condition that is difficult to explain....... and could be 'viewed' upon as a Omega 'secret'........ especially to a novice. The Omega.............due to its operating frequency (lower freq)......... is somewhat 'iron dead'. Iron...being a low conductor. So.......... coins that may have a couple of tiny flecks/flakes of iron ABOVE the coin (shallower than the coin)........ the Omega may never even see these flakes of rust....yet, will detect the coin in a unfettered fashion. On the contrary......... the T2/F75 platform is highly sensitive to LOW conductors......and; subsequently, may "amp-gain" (amplify) the tiny/shallow flakes of rust......and 'skew' the coin reading.

I have yet to collect enough aggregate/overall data..........so as to report a concrete/validated answer.... as to which unit (overall).....is better on coins. Right now..........I am a bit more biased towards the F75 LTD. ((( There certainly have been a few instances where a coin was improperly ID'ing on the F75....yet.....the Omega could only see.....and properly ID the coin. There have also been many cases where the coin was too deep......and only the flagship (F75 LTD) would detect these coins ))).
November 24, 2010 12:49AM
You have to remember that not all of us have great dirt and the LTD may and does work in most but not all and that fact that each detector sometimes just fits right. So learn the LTD I have learned so much from this forum but sometimes you just need to try another detector to see if the fit is right for your type of hunting. I love the G2 but I would only use it for relic hunts, old areas with little modern trash. It is a great machine and in my dirt it would be the first detector I would use on a relic hunt and use the LTD as a backup...That is in the Gold Country of Calif..way different dirt from other areas.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 24, 2010 07:00AM
tom!
is this information applicable to the "standard" f-75 as well?
just wondering!..thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.
November 24, 2010 08:56PM
For COIN shooting.......there is very little difference between the F75 vs F75 LTD. Low-conductor relic hunting is a completely different story.
November 25, 2010 01:43AM
thanks tom!..it is what i suspected on COINS!..just sayin"
others,however have reported "clearer" ,and "cleaner" hits on coins 'slanted",or on edge
with the f-75 l.t.d!..what's your take on this?..thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 25, 2010 12:46PM
Yes, there is SOME truth to this..........especially (lower conductive) nickels.........but marginal.
November 25, 2010 01:18PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The original T2 and the Omega are nearly
> identical.....IRT depth.... on high-conductor
> coins. The F75 LTD is far more 'coin' capable ...
> vs. .... the Omega.......in MANY
> applications/conditions.
>
> YET.............THERE LIES A 'OMEGA ONLY'
> condition that is difficult to explain....... and
> could be 'viewed' upon as a Omega 'secret'........
> especially to a novice. The Omega.............due
> to its operating frequency (lower freq).........
> is somewhat 'iron dead'. Iron...being a low
> conductor. So.......... coins that may have a
> couple of tiny flecks/flakes of iron ABOVE the
> coin (shallower than the coin)........ the Omega
> may never even see these flakes of rust....yet,
> will detect the coin in a unfettered fashion. On
> the contrary......... the T2/F75 platform is
> highly sensitive to LOW conductors......and;
> subsequently, may "amp-gain" (amplify) the
> tiny/shallow flakes of rust......and 'skew' the
> coin reading.
>
> I have yet to collect enough aggregate/overall
> data..........so as to report a concrete/validated
> answer.... as to which unit (overall).....is
> better on coins. Right now..........I am a bit
> more biased towards the F75 LTD. ((( There
> certainly have been a few instances where a coin
> was improperly ID'ing on the F75....yet.....the
> Omega could only see.....and properly ID the coin.
> There have also been many cases where the coin was
> too deep......and only the flagship (F75 LTD)
> would detect these coins ))).

Tom... throw the G2/GB into the equation and add another dimension to "finding ability" . While not as hot on high conductors depth wise, in some of the old site hunting I do the G2 trumps the Omega for picking high conductors out of iron. While the all metal mode is prospecting oriented which helps for relic hunting, the disc mode has added a bit to the Omega's iron handling ability. That combined with the improved intelligibility of the VCO audio over the Omega makes for less fatigue in tough conditions. It's hard to explain but for me the audio makes the target response and the fast recovery more "human friendly".

Fer instance hunting the embankment of a RR grade alongside an old depot I have to dial in some disc with the Omega because of the iron and contamination creating a confusing mess in the audio. High conductors will pop thru but are easily lost in the confusion of vco responses. The G2 on the other hand lets me "read" the ground in a way that I can process and pick out the non-ferrous targets almost effortlessly. I know that's a big statement but that's what I get.

Tom Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 01:26PM by Jackpine.
November 25, 2010 02:51PM
Jackpine Wrote:

> Tom... throw the G2/GB into the equation and add
> another dimension to "finding ability" . While not
> as hot on high conductors depth wise, in some of
> the old site hunting I do the G2 trumps the Omega
> for picking high conductors out of iron. While
> the all metal mode is prospecting oriented which
> helps for relic hunting, the disc mode has added a
> bit to the Omega's iron handling ability. That
> combined with the improved intelligibility of the
> VCO audio over the Omega makes for less fatigue in
> tough conditions. It's hard to explain but for me
> the audio makes the target response and the fast
> recovery more "human friendly".
>
> Fer instance hunting the embankment of a RR grade
> alongside an old depot I have to dial in some disc
> with the Omega because of the iron and
> contamination creating a confusing mess in the
> audio. High conductors will pop thru but are
> easily lost in the confusion of vco responses.
> The G2 on the other hand lets me "read" the ground
> in a way that I can process and pick out the
> non-ferrous targets almost effortlessly. I know
> that's a big statement but that's what I get.
>
> Tom Z

Interesting what you said regarding the VCO mode. I use d2 mode (VCO) on my Omega as my primary mode and check all targets in d4 (beep mode). The VCO mode on the Omega runs deeper than the d4 mode so I prefer to use it and I think it hits a bit clearer on coins most of the time than the d4 mode. I don't get a lot of information from the VCO mode on the Omega as it seems a bit "full" or "dense" for lack of a better word. Is this what you are getting at when comparing it to the G2?

That is really interesting because when Teknetics wraps up all this technology in their next unit, it will really be something to look forward to.

Very nice about the G2 picking out non ferrous targets better. I do get tricked by iron on my Omega. (I usually ID those cracked tones with jumpy ID's as iron but am still not sure and dig to be certain.) From what I have seen on the Omega, when there is a coin in iron it adds a bit of a "haze" around the signal, if that makes sense. This is true around small bits of iron though, the before mentioned problem is only a problem as I am still thinking that the jumpy ID's and sometimes crackly audio might be a coin near larger iron, but not yet...
Earthmansurfer
November 25, 2010 03:21PM
When I use d2 on the Omega at sites like I described I have to run with some disc otherwise its just too much with all of the shallow junk and iron that causes the VCO squeal. If it's mostly nails and a bit deeper then the iron tone is OK to deal with. Remember RR sites also have more than iron to deal with because of the burnt cinders ect. In two passes at this site with the G2 I pulled out more non-ferrous of all sizes and conductivities than previously with the Omega during several visits. Nothing deep mind you.

BTW this is using the11" DD on both.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 03:23PM by Jackpine.
Re: Earthmansurfer
November 25, 2010 11:18PM
Tom......It sounds like "there's more in the audio" that you are experiencing with the G2. This is a tremendous attribute.....because "audio" is what we (primarily) detect with. VDI and icons are a extreme distant secondary. Yes, it would be very natural for Dave Johnson and John Gardiner to incorporate the best attributes of all previous units.......(or.... at least; the specific ones that would be the most beneficial for the platform design intent).........into the newest unit. Most sites I hunt are exceptionally trashy (usually severe iron/nails....and rust flakes).
Yes, when I get a chance to test the G2 ...... it will be 'real-world' conditions. Bench-test.....then test-garden (in that order).....is just a preamble....to see if it'll graduate to the next level; that being 'real-world' conditions (with greatest interest/focus placed upon high iron trash content sites).
November 25, 2010 11:35PM
Although I have not received my G2 , I still feel that being a tone hunter, it will fit me very well. I sometimes like to use a little Discrimination at heavy trash sites. The G2 will still emit a low tone even on the
iron that has been discriminated out. This is a plus for me. I like to know what is there. It helps to determine if it is a valid high tone target of a false signal due to the iron around the location. the reviews that I am reading are stating that the G2 and Goldbug are turning out to be very good relic hunters. LowBoy has released a couple of great videos on the G2. The response seems to be very fast and does not miss any targets. I look forward to seeing what type of depth it will bring to my soil conditions. On most of my hunts with the CZ I ground balance around 5. Although I have had my CZ for several weeks, I am still learning what the tones are saying. I have started digging all mid and high tones. Prior to digging I will decide what I am going to find based on the signal and tone signal. Getting better at choosing the correct target. Should have some more info on the G2 after this weekend if the weather holds out.
November 26, 2010 07:05AM
again!..thanks!..appreciate the 'experienced" honest reply!

(h.h!)
j.t.