Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Short MXS video

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Short MXS video
March 05, 2016 01:19AM
The ups guy was late so I did not have time to do much testing. I did manage to film a little bit. Detector is pretty deep and seems to be fairly accurate at depth. The modulation is not very good, only modulated for the last inch or so then the audio starts to cut out about the time the modulation kicks in. I don't really care for the audio but that's coming from someone who likes the minelabs. I was able to get about 13" on a quarter in the coin and jewelry mode in an air test. I really did not have time to test as much as I wanted to. I believe the Racer2 will be more to my liking...I hope....;o)

This may at least give you an idea how it sounds....

[youtu.be]
Re: Short MXS video
March 05, 2016 01:44AM
I hate the audio.. Was hard to listen to.. I ordered the racer 2 glad I did..
March 05, 2016 01:59AM
basstrackerman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate the audio.. Was hard to listen to.. I
> ordered the racer 2 glad I did..

+1
March 05, 2016 02:03AM
Wow...that thing is hard to listen to. Not pleasing to the ears at all. The 4 tones sound very close together to me. I would have preferred a higher pitch tone for high conductors. My dealer messaged me today and said he got 5 of them in the shop today. 4 were presold but he had one left that wasn't. I was going to ride down and play with it but after seeing this I am not sure if I want to. I have tomorrow off work so I kinda dont know what to do with myself lol
March 05, 2016 02:15AM
Wow whites the audio sucks on this machine. How long have they been making machines. Go with the company from Turkey they have a new relic machine and from what Keith reported its a dream machine. You would think whites would blow us away with something revolutionary but no. The V3 in color was a disappoint to me and same with fisher nothing breath taking same old f75 with a few small changes. Viva La France and Turkey

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 05, 2016 02:23AM
My gracious!!!----Makes me ever so glad I've got my Minelabs.smiling smiley----Two or three of those tones sounds like a love sick goose.
wjs
March 05, 2016 02:53AM

The 4 tones sound very close together to me. I would have preferred a higher pitch tone for high conductors.

My thoughts too. Also wonder why they didn't put the nickel notch at a high tone that way you don't have to watch the screen if you run no disc.....Like they did on the CZ3D.
March 05, 2016 03:29AM
That is as bad and as irritating as any detector that I have ever heard. No way I would buy it. Disappointing.
March 05, 2016 03:40AM
again what is up with whites and fisher make something new and we have to have and that is better then what is out there!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 05, 2016 03:41AM
Yikes! Wife has never asked me to turn down a metal detecting video before, and she was in the next room. She mentioned something about an occasional "shrieky tone" that hurt her head, no kidding. Anyway, I hope it performs well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 03:42AM by DFinTX.
March 05, 2016 03:47AM
wow, come on Racer 2! lol
March 05, 2016 04:27AM
I had to stop at 5 minutes in....sounds like an 80s video game. But thank you for taking the time to post the video!
March 05, 2016 05:06AM
The audio does seem a little archaic in modern digital terms..

YET maybe there's some tweaks in the settings..

To early to tell..

Thanks for the Vid..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 05, 2016 05:09AM
"Two or three of those tones sounds like a love sick goose."

"That is as bad and as irritating as any detector that I have ever heard. "

"Yikes! Wife has never asked me to turn down a metal detecting video before, and she was in the next room. She mentioned something about an occasional "shrieky tone" that hurt her head, no kidding."

"wow, come on Racer 2!"

"I had to stop at 5 minutes in....sounds like an 80s video game."

Wow, I havent had this good a laugh all week!!! I wouldn't exactly call these "rave reviews" but...well, ok, on the surface, it looks like it sucks, but I saw a few positive things. In fact very positive. BTW as ALWAYS, Bill, you did an awesome job with your video, in fact im the biggest Bill S. video fan of all time, however(you knew it was coming), I got one bone to pick. see #3 below.

1. Depth meter on the 9.5 copper penny was spot on. It was consistent.

2. Pronounced Audio strength. it was blow your ears off or nothing.-which means every thing up to at least 8 or 9 inches will be a screamer.

3.Sensitivity over compensation. If Bill would of turned down his sensitivity, the targets on the surface wouldn't of cause the multitude of tonal confusion. Next vid, could you start searching with low sensitivity and work your way up?

4.I think, given time, this machine can be a very useful tool.

5. I am still getting a Racer 2 smiling smiley

Again great job on the vid, I look forward to the next!!!
March 05, 2016 05:27AM
Great video! Thanks for posting, appreciate you taking the time putting this together.

I was afraid the audio tones would be too close together, appears they are. But it's still too early, wait until some users learn the strenghts of the detector we'll see then if the MX Sport is a keeper.

I was going to wait, but ordered one this week should be here tomorrow. To be honest, don't care for the multiple tones just care about two tone Relic mode and prospecting mode. Need prospecting mode for our mineralized fresh water sand, and Relic mode for serious Relic hunting.

Think it has possibilities, strong ones to be honest hey 9.5" on a buried penny is allot deeper than any MXT I've seen.

Time will tell, thanks again for sharing the video

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 05:30AM by Old California.
March 05, 2016 05:29AM
Good gracious that's some rough audio. Like they sped up the bell tone on a ace 250. Set aside some money as I'm anxious for a new machine. Unless theres some tweak to be done I Don't think I could put up with that. It would have to stay in 2 tone. From what I've been hearing they aren't a slouch on depth. Hitting that depth fresh buried penny with that aggressive discrimination was impressive. But that audio...man.
March 05, 2016 06:21AM
Bill, did you try an air test on the outside of the coil? I swear it gets an inch less depth than the center! With a tighter coil it would make a lot of difference in my opinion. It almost seems like the coil is fighting itself to report the target!
March 05, 2016 06:50AM
I watched this vid several more times. I absolutely hate to say this, but I wonder if the coil is bad? On the Penny, you were getting signal a left to right, then as you rotated it went right to left. That, to me, is extremely odd. I never saw anything like that.

Another point was, I hate to say it, a weak all metal(here we go deja -vu f75 upgrade). Look closely at the depth indicator when he finds the Quarter in disc, it read accurately as "close to the surface". Then, when he pin-points(all metal pin-point), the depth indicator(target strength) shows deep and he get a seven inches reading. To me that means all metal is having a hard time with the target. This can be the coil as well, IMO.
March 05, 2016 07:29AM
Audio - just as expected...

P.S. Why is this video unlisted? What happened?
March 05, 2016 08:20AM
I read all the comments before I watched the video and was expecting the worst. After watching the video, I don't think it half bad at all. The tones are a bit Atari-like but who cares if the performance is there. I did notice two things that are big positives: the recovery and processor speed seems excellent. And, very important, it does seem like Whites preserved the mixed mode audio, where you can hear the all metal audio for deep targets beyond disc range like on the MXT. Overall, it looks pretty good to me.
March 05, 2016 11:57AM
Bill,

Thanks to you for going out and making a video, I thought you and the MXS did very well...a ring (on previously hunted ground) and several coins...not bad considering the MXS was just out the back of the FedEx truck!

The audio from "Whites's" machines is what it is: it's "big" and broad but therein lies a lot of information.

Like any other detector, the audio can be "manually tweaked" and in the case of the MXS it offers, 5 Tone choices. That is a very good range. I've just bench tested mine as it just came yesterday and I'm going out with it today for the 1st time.
However, one point I'd like to pick up on is, one cannot make sweeping "broad" statements about "Audio Modulation is bad" based on a 2 minute test on a planted target in trashy ground.
If "White's" thought it was a [ bad idea ] they wouldn't have included it.
Non modulated can make for better Target ID's and modulated can get a bit deeper but at the trade-off cost of less reliable ID's (especially in trashy areas)

I agree with other posters, we saw a lot of "good stuff" in the video and, to my ears, didn't sound bad at all. (remember, it can be tweaked)

Des D
wjs
March 05, 2016 12:33PM

P.S. Why is this video unlisted? What happened?

I did not want to post it for everyone to see because I feel like the short test I was able to do probably wouldn't be fair to the detector and I did not want to seem like I was just bashing it. Like others have mentioned it can be tweaked different ways and I just did not have time to do that but wanted to at least get something up for you guys to see.
wjs
March 05, 2016 12:35PM

Bill, did you try an air test on the outside of the coil?

No
March 05, 2016 01:50PM
Let's not forget the Sovereign and Explorer audio, when both were released remember the bashing it received at it's beginning....... Many ate crow including myself now look how well received the Sovereign and Explorer are.

I'm willing to learn the MX Sport and see what it has to offer, It may be a blessing in disguise.

For the low listed price of under $799.00, that's a steal for what it has to offer. You have to agree with that, let's wait and see before we eat crow again like we did with BBS and FBS technology.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 02:02PM by Old California.
March 05, 2016 04:18PM
Tough Crowd here.........

I can not draw any conclusions on a short video like this, I like the 2 tone mode and if you could tone down the iron tone, I think it would be great.

I thought the freshly buried coin test was very good, in this case at least it produced a one way response. Deep freshly buried coins do not respond well.
March 05, 2016 04:54PM
I do agree a freshly buried coin are hard to get signals on. And it was deep.. But with that said the tones were not pleasant.
March 05, 2016 05:54PM
By the way, I forgot to thank you for taking the time to make the video. Didn't realize that was your Youtube channel, and I've watched several of your videos in the past with other machines.

Tones and pinpointing depth display aside, it seems impressive so far. Curious to hear its unmasking abilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 05:56PM by DFinTX.
March 05, 2016 07:13PM
I watched it again today. I noticed the audio tone duration seems exceptionally long. Almost like the "long" response on a CTX. You get a beeeeep on a target, which, will cause audio fatigue over time, IMO. if they shortened it to a "beep", they would have a real winner audio wise.
March 05, 2016 07:23PM
Well this is disheartening. Over 50 years of metal detector designs, and they still can't beat, the mighty bottle cap.

From Andy in regards to the Mx Sport-

"The one "issue" I noticed was just that . . . round iron (steel bottle caps) come through sounding like coins and give a VDI that is identical to them as well using the stock round DD coil. I discussed this with the factory and it seems to be the nature of teh beast so to speak. Using the optional 6x10 DD or 950 Eclipse concentric eliminated that problem and I found myself using the 6x10 for most of my coin hunting activities as I got great depth, coverage and separation in trash."
March 05, 2016 07:23PM
beyonder-pa
I noticed the audio tone duration seems exceptionally long.
Like I've been hinting, the 10 DD coil responds from the outside edge even at depth. If a smaller coil was use it would tighten up the response considerably. WJS thank you for posting your channel, subscribing!