Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Well got the At-Pro into a house site today that I have and other's

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Well got the At-Pro into a house site today that I have and other's
November 26, 2010 01:57AM
have worked on pretty hard... Last time in I got basically nothing but a few pieces of surface trash....

Area constant machine gun iron ......

The At-Pro bring's a whole new style of hunting to the table...it's very sensitive to small and large item's .....

The At-Pro is in pro mode is a very tricky machine to run.....if you are not used to running say a 1266 type machine...I believe you will have problem's...

This machine is pure audio...Deep target's sound deep but scratchy but there if you know what I mean...

Colocated item's like nails and non-ferrous are tricky and I am still learning the language but again it's all audio...

First digital machine I have seen that runs like an analog in the audio department...

Now the machine has some serious depth evne in iron if you can massage it out..

it's the type machine if you think the area is cleaned out you better think again... because it will give hit's that are up to you to decipher...

I honestly would not recommend the machine to anyone without a lot of experience running powerful machine's...I ahve been hunting for around 30 year's and to be truthful 10 years ago I could not of run this machine...

Completely new direction for Garrett... Heck it's not even a Garrett detector...

It willl false on limb's and such with high tone's and it actually goes all the way into the mineral range on the disc so you can get into some blow back situation's but this is the way you get the depth....

Kind of machine if you want to dig and dont mind digging lot's of holes it will produce...

Audio is like a whole new learning experience...I like it Fun to use and learn..

Is it going to be for every body...? I think they will be alot of un-happy people especially the garrett user of old..

now I hunted about 4 hours and hears the keepers out of an Iron ridden House site of the1850's era..

2 Ball buttons one about 10 inches they are the cuff size...
1 .69 round ball
piece of Harmonica
1 toe tap really deep
carved 3 ringer
I sash Buckle side
Melted lead

lots and lot's of >22 lead and shell's and shotgun hull's

thanks for looking

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 01:58AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Well got the At-Pro into a house site today that I have and other's
November 26, 2010 03:51AM
Compair it to the G2 for us I have the G2 and hits on targets the LTD missed it is cleaner on targets as far at the tone and hits hard. For me the G2 is hard to beat. You have one right or the gold bug?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Keith....iron question
November 26, 2010 04:10AM
Did you dig much iron with it, ? Does it do a great job knocking out iron? I never owned a 1266.
November 26, 2010 04:28AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Completely new direction for Garrett... Heck it's
> not even a Garrett detector...
all day long since i came back from the beach i have been saying the same thing to myself..............i can not comment on the garrett side, since this is my first, BUT I WILL SAY it reminds me more of my F75 i had sometime back.............spooky.

better iron sounds on those little flakes we have here on the beach.......can hear them all, but almost have complete i.d. by sound alone.....very nice feature for sure for me anyway.

that is all i can say for now.......1 meager hour is not enough time to comment any longer.

thanks for your report, i read it on the garrett site also.

good luck
Hey Lawrenzo I think your question sort of says it all
November 26, 2010 05:24AM
you ask "Compair it to the G2 for us I have the G2 and hits on targets the LTD missed it is cleaner on targets as far at the tone and hits hard"

The GBSE G2 has a clean audio and finds thing's the F-75 misses usually though it's a low conductor or targets the noise of the F-75 T-2 masked..nothing wrong with the noise if you know how to use it....The AT-Pro is noisy but not really Falsey ( Is that a word?) no electrical interference also when ran wide open even around broad band connection's or power lines..

The At-Pro does not have the fast shut down between taget's like the GBSE/G2/F-75 does...but it accomplishes unmasking through different method's..one being the mixed type audio reminiscent of older analog audio,,,really aunt by ear machine...with lot's of blending going on if that makes sense..

you know how the audio of the G2 or f/75 GBSE etc has either one tone or the other on off type response... well the pro audio of the AT -Pro has the ability to have the iron growl and mid or high tone sort of how would you say blended into the response sort of like two tones on top of each other...? Does that make any sense...Not saying it's iron blat or non iron beep but more of if it's co-Located it's like Blabeeblat maybe that's makes sense?

in other words the G2 really wont have low and high tone at the same time its either one or the other even though it might switch flop super fast between the 2 it's still does not give both at the same time..the At-Pro does...

One thing that is really grabbing my attention is the depth it finds target's in iron in bad dirt...I dont believe I have pulled target's this deep in iron before especially with a digital machine..

At-pro is hot across the board on conductor's..

Did I mention it has a unique audio HA-HA

Make any sense yet?

Simple term's look out for Garrett if they stay on this Path..

Also build Quality is exceptional on this unit...I know it underwater so it's robust but also amazingly light and very tactile..

Keith
Hey Possum the comparison I made to the 1266 was just
November 26, 2010 05:37AM
in term's of raw depth couples with sputter's and pop's and spit's....the Pro mode audio is more like when Fisher was using the second derivative filter but it;s more enhanced with tone's and ground balance option's...all those noises makes sense if you learn them...thats was one way the Fishers got there depth by not filtering the signal say like a tesoro does to smooth it up..

Now that is just for comparison in the simplest term's..

I really did not dig alot of iron... it's very intuitive in the audio response not too dig it.. i dug some iron plow ring's and kettle iron but they were very suspicious sounding...and I actually called the ring's before getting them out of the ground...

one neat thing on the audio when in pro mode even the non-Ferrous have a signature warbly mid or high tone like it's crossing the target and reading the roundness or uneven part's of the target..Even some deeper shot gun hull's I could tell they were on edge before digging by the audio signature..

again this machine is pure audio like I haven't seen digital coupled with great depth and sensitivity...

Lot of machine for 600.00 buck's

but the nails and such will try to false but have signatures..

Now remember I was maxed out on the sens also so lower settings will false less but also loose sens to on edge item's and lower conductor's...

Keith
November 26, 2010 04:05PM
cool info...thanks

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

Sounds like a keeper Keith
November 26, 2010 06:22PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you ask "Compair it to the G2 for us I have the G2
> and hits on targets the LTD missed it is cleaner
> on targets as far at the tone and hits hard"
>
> The GBSE G2 has a clean audio and finds thing's
> the F-75 misses usually though it's a low
> conductor or targets the noise of the F-75 T-2
> masked..nothing wrong with the noise if you know
> how to use it....The AT-Pro is noisy but not
> really Falsey ( Is that a word?) no electrical
> interference also when ran wide open even around
> broad band connection's or power lines..
>
> The At-Pro does not have the fast shut down
> between taget's like the GBSE/G2/F-75 does...but
> it accomplishes unmasking through different
> method's..one being the mixed type audio
> reminiscent of older analog audio,,,really aunt by
> ear machine...with lot's of blending going on if
> that makes sense..
>
> you know how the audio of the G2 or f/75 GBSE
> etc has either one tone or the other on off type
> response... well the pro audio of the AT -Pro has
> the ability to have the iron growl and mid or high
> tone sort of how would you say blended into the
> response sort of like two tones on top of each
> other...? Does that make any sense...Not saying
> it's iron blat or non iron beep but more of if
> it's co-Located it's like Blabeeblat maybe that's
> makes sense?
>
> in other words the G2 really wont have low and
> high tone at the same time its either one or the
> other even though it might switch flop super fast
> between the 2 it's still does not give both at the
> same time..the At-Pro does...
>
>
> One thing that is really grabbing my attention is
> the depth it finds target's in iron in bad
> dirt...I dont believe I have pulled target's this
> deep in iron before especially with a digital
> machine..
>
> At-pro is hot across the board on conductor's..
>
> Did I mention it has a unique audio HA-HA
>
> Make any sense yet?
>
> Simple term's look out for Garrett if they stay on
> this Path..
>
> Also build Quality is exceptional on this unit...I
> know it underwater so it's robust but also
> amazingly light and very tactile..
>
>
> Keith

I like the way you described the audio... Sounds like a mix of the 1200's and ML Advantage, both machines I enjoyed using.

"deep in iron" Yeah baby I like that!!!

"Scratchy sounding on the deep ones".... reminds me of the 1270 ... no problem there got ya covered on that one.

"hot across the board on conductors"... all good!

Thanks Keith!!
Tom
December 12, 2010 06:43AM
So you're sayin' that ACE-250 users are going to freak out? Laff..

J
December 12, 2010 10:48AM
Again, really nice report Keith. You speak a language I (we) can understand.

I've had a Nautilus IIb and a T2, so can appreciate what you are getting at regarding the sound - in particular the Nauty comes to mind. I didn't enjoy the falsing of the T2, but I learned it. You really have a way of describing the audio, I follow you and it's an exciting change of direction for Garret and one that I think other manufacturers might follow, to a degree anyway. (Like having a fuller audio mode. The Omega has VCO, but that isn't the same and it's only one tone with a very high recovery rate.)

Running my Omega now, I am used to such a quiet running machine, but I REALLY miss the audio of my Nauty. I wish the Omega went as deep in "beep" mode as it does in VCO mode. And I do wish the Omega had more to it's audio, though it is pretty great for a digital machine.

I look forward to some coin hunts from you, cause that is what really matters to me. Anyway, hopefully Teknetics comes out with an upper end unit as the AT Pro seems like it might be a bit better (and for sure deeper) than the Omega with one caveat - for experienced hunters.

Really great report Keith. Please keep them up (I mean it's winter here in Germany, snow all over the place, I ain't going detecting and I love reading your reports.)

One question - Can you slow the swing speed down to a crawl when getting those double tone sounds to get some separation and investigate the target better? (I did see a man on a the Garrett forum doing this in his video with a bottle cap and it tricked him, but then he was able to do the same on a dime collocated next to a nail and he got a clean dime hit going really slow.)
December 12, 2010 03:08PM
Teknetics has come out with the G2 and it may not be like the AT pro but it is a different animal and is one of the best relic hunters next to the LTD. It is a different machine, designed as a gold machine but boy it hits hard on all targets. I love it and I take it out first now and it has not let me down except in wet ground that had a lot of iron. I would love to see Tom's take on the AT I know he is a LTD man and if he did't add it to his stock I would pass on it and keep learning the G2 and using my LTD

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]