Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MX Sport video with me and Bill.

Posted by khouse 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: MX Sport video with me and Bill.
March 09, 2016 04:31PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The problem is Steve .....companies keep giving
> us what THEY want and we keep buying them."
>
> Well, these are businesses, and there is exactly
> one gauge of success - sales. Nobody makes anybody
> buy a metal detector, it is purely discretionary.
> Every time you vote yes with your wallet you send
> the message they are doing it right. If they don't
> build what you want, for any reason, don't buy it.
> If you do, then who exactly is it that is the
> problem?
Sometimes (not always) you don't know until you buy it? Not just detectors but anything from dishwashers to presidents. Maybe detectors and presidents should come with a money back guarantee?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
March 09, 2016 05:24PM
Nobody has to be first kid on their block, and sorry, but I do not sympathize with people like me that choose to be a guinea pig by doing so. People with any concerns at all should wait a minimum of 6 months after release for the inevitable bugs to be found and fixed. Take your time, read the field reports from actual users, wait for a consensus to develop.

Or be the first kid on your block. But be realistic and accept the inherent extra risk in doing so. Whether you like it or not the consumer is the last 100 feet of the production line and the first users find out what got missed, overlooked, or was just wrong. A handful of testers will never replace 500 end users in their ability to use machines under varied and unanticipated conditions. I think it is really nice people think it should be otherwise but that is just the facts as they exist. Anyone with a bit of concern about the MX Sport or any other detector should simply not buy one immediately after release.
March 09, 2016 06:52PM
Well said Steve!
March 10, 2016 12:12AM
Nice video and really enjoyed it..... Roman bracelet made me chuckle, I found a child's Roman bracelet going back a couple of years now.

I know your screw driver method is good and saves digging and mess but we couldn't risk that over here in the UK.... A hammerd coin would snap as they can be so thin.

Keep up the good work
March 10, 2016 12:42AM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> Nobody has to be first kid on their block, and
> sorry, but I do not sympathize with people like me
> that choose to be a guinea pig by doing so. People
> with any concerns at all should wait a minimum of
> 6 months after release for the inevitable bugs to
> be found and fixed. Take your time, read the field
> reports from actual users, wait for a consensus to
> develop.
>
> Or be the first kid on your block. But be
> realistic and accept the inherent extra risk in
> doing so. Whether you like it or not the consumer
> is the last 100 feet of the production line and
> the first users find out what got missed,
> overlooked, or was just wrong. A handful of
> testers will never replace 500 end users in their
> ability to use machines under varied and
> unanticipated conditions. I think it is really
> nice people think it should be otherwise but that
> is just the facts as they exist. Anyone with a bit
> of concern about the MX Sport or any other
> detector should simply not buy one immediately
> after release.
I can't help it! I don't have the patients to wait 6 months. Plus us dealers really don't have that choice. What I really wish for is the manufacturers to use other field testers as opposed to their "go to" hunters.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
March 10, 2016 12:47AM
Ziggy Wrote:
> Nice video and really enjoyed it..... Roman
> bracelet made me chuckle, I found a child's Roman
> bracelet going back a couple of years now.
>
> I know your screw driver method is good and saves
> digging and mess but we couldn't risk that over
> here in the UK.... A hammerd coin would snap as
> they can be so thin.
>
> Keep up the good work
We find a 1800's coin and we're ecstatic!! You find a hammered and say "just another hammie" Just think how excited you would be if you dug up one of our fine clad coins!

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
March 10, 2016 12:47AM
Khouse

I never read a bad metal detector review written by Andy S. maybe the manufacturers should have you and Bill S. do the beta testing.

A tough job for sure but somebodies gotta do it...lol
March 10, 2016 12:51AM
Hombre Wrote:
> Khouse
>
> I never read a bad metal detector review written
> by Andy S. maybe the manufacturers should have you
> and Bill S. do the beta testing.
>
> A tough job for sure but somebodies gotta do
> it...lol
Sign us up!

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
March 10, 2016 01:12AM
khouse Wrote:
> Hombre Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Khouse
> >
> > I never read a bad metal detector review
> written
> > by Andy S. maybe the manufacturers should have
> you
> > and Bill S. do the beta testing.
> >
> > A tough job for sure but somebodies gotta do
> > it...lol
> Sign us up!

I wasn't a beta tester but I did get to do the field test on the Tesoro Outlaw, they edited the crap out of it but it ended up on their website. I didn't get a free detector for doing it either, it was fun to do and I ended up buying one because they work so well in the iron nails around old house sites. Beep and Dig at it's finest...
wjs
March 10, 2016 01:16AM

I never read a bad metal detector review written by Andy S. maybe the manufacturers should have you and Bill S. do the beta testing.

A tough job for sure but somebodies gotta do it...lol

I realize that not everyone hunts the same way. I like to hunt for coins mostly and some civil war relics. But most of my hunting is done in trashy parks or schools. I think they should send their test detectors to some hard core relic hunters, coin hunters, beach hunters etc. Then let each person give them their input as what to what changes, if any need to be made. As far as the MX Sport and coin hunting I would like to see the modulation work better not just the last inch or depth. The tones improved on. The nickel notch that they defined have a high tone. It would be nice to have a tone option setup like the CZ3D where nickels and zinc coins and above would hit with a high tone. I realize that they are not going to make the changes but in the future maybe they will ask for some of our suggestions like Makro does.
March 10, 2016 01:23AM
The MX Sport doesn't sound like it has much in common with the MX5, I relic hunt around old farm houses, torn down churches and old school houses/picknic grounds and nails and empty.22 shell casings are the major trash items. With the MX5, I like to have in 2 tone audio and wide open discrimination, I hear everything in that mode and pick out the non ferrous high tones, very under rated machine in my opinion.
March 10, 2016 02:40AM
Not sure why there are so many comments about White's not listening to their customers. The MX Sport seems like it was created to fit the desires of what a lot of people want in a detector.

It's not going to compete with a machine costing twice as much and should not be expected too. At $799.00 it seems you are getting a lot for your money

I didn't see what the sens setting was that they used in the video, but perhaps a lower sens would showcase the modulated audio better.

I also don't think I would ever hunt using 8 tones. I don't usually like that much audio.

I also think the audio would probably be a lot more tolerable through headphones than through the external speaker as in the video.

Just my opinion.

HH
John
March 10, 2016 10:41PM
I have been pretty excited to see something new from White's and plan on having an MX Sport in hand soon. But the question here is not if it competes with machines that cost a lot more, but whether it can hold its own against a machine that weighs a pound less and can be had for $150 less. I think most would agree White's is targeting the incredibly popular AT Pro with the MX Sport. However, the weight and cost already put it in the position of having to have across the board great performance as compared to the AT to justify that extra weight and cost. I am not huge Garrett fan, the ATX being the only machine they have ever made that I have kept for more than a year. I do however have huge respect for what Garrett brings to the table by way of very good performance and features at excellent prices. Their machines may not always be cutting edge but they scream value. I have been rooting for White's on this but I have to admit to being concerned about what I am observing so far regarding the audio/modulation/target separation characteristics. I am pretty sure there are a couple areas where the MX Sport may really shine but to be a winner it needs to impress people across the board. You need to be able to grab one and grab the AT Pro and swing both around for a day, and at the end of the day tell yourself that extra pound and $150 is well worth it to have all that fabulous extra capability the MX Sport offers compared to the AT Pro. Anything less and it will just end up being a niche use machine, and I do not think that is what White's was aiming for.

There is a danger in making machines waterproof if you also make them heavier and more expensive. Garrett no doubt was hoping to put a real dent in the prospecting market with the ATX. They ended up repeating the same mistake they made with the Infinium, which also was initially aimed at the prospecting market. They saddled the Infinium with extra weight and cost by going waterproof, and when it turned out to be a lackluster prospecting machine electronically the extra weight and cost ended up relegating it to what it was suited for - beach detecting. The ATX suffered the same fate. Better electronics than the Infinium, but saddled with a more expensive and heavier waterproof housing that no desert prospector needs. People do want waterproof for all around use, but only if they do not pay a huge weight and price penalty. The ATX should have been a TDI killer and it is superior electronically, but the extra weight and cost ruin that. My ATX I use for water hunting and other machines go prospecting with me.

The genius of the AT Pro and AT Gold is you get the waterproof part basically for free. No cost penalty, no weight penalty. So why not?

White's may have made the same mistake here as Garrett made with the ATX. People are only going to put up with the extra weight and cost if it has killer performance. But if they can get other machines for the same or less money and that weigh less but perform as well, why use a MX Sport for normal day to day dry land hunting? If the only compelling feature is that it is waterproof, then in the end it will just end up being a water machine.