Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

RACER 2 TESTING

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
RACER 2 TESTING
March 06, 2016 06:19PM
As with all detectors...... but especially the T2/F75 platform....... I wanted to test one primary theory with the Racer 2. I brought the Racer 2 to four different areas (within the past 11 days)........ which would subject the R2 to 'medium' levels of EMI. The EMI was a audible repetitious/rhythmatic/synchronous-pulsing,,,,,,,,,,, fatiguing performance inhibitor. Three of the four sites, I could rid the EMI by selecting different 'freq change' channels. At these three different sites...... two of the five EMI mitigation frequencies would present zero audible EMI chatter. At the forth site......... I could only mitigate the EMI. Only one channel (of the five) presented the least amount of audible EMI; yet, EMI was still audibly present. The bottom line........................... in a nutshell.................... there was approx a 22% performance increase by selecting the correct channel. At the one site where the EMI could only be mitigated (still mildly audible......with best freq selected)....... there was approx 40% performance gain in overall detection depth; yet......... however, , , , , , even at that.............. the detector could only detect to a maximum depth of approx 7.5" on coin-sized targets. (((In Florida's whipped-marshmallow topping soft-dirt...... I need to hunt elsewhere ..... or use a detector that may present less EMI.)))

All of the above performance results were 'per expectations' ...... yet, one additional factor emerged. Of the 3 sites that I could rid all audible EMI...... I had two (of the five available) channels that expressed zero audible EMI. One particular target (that turned out to be a .44 Long Rimfire shell casing...... at 10.7") opened my eyes to another potential condition. Of the 2 channels that presented zero audible EMI....... one channel would allow this brass target to be detected with a success-rate of one-out-of-every-five sweeps. No VID was generated. Switching over to the other EMI free channel.................. and this particular .44 Rimfire target could be audibly detected with every sweep........ including a VID presented....every time.
This phenomenon/condition has nothing to do with the detector operating at a (minutely) different frequency; but/rather....... a even further reduced EMI level. There is 2 EMI free channels; yet, one of the channels presents a fairly substantial additional reduction in EMI....... with subsequent substantial performance gain....as a resultant. Once again....... this is called "silent EMI". Beware!

There is a MUCH greater amp. explanation about this phenomenon on the thread titled: Rcpt Ack of F75 LTD Prototype.
Summation: Regardless of detector/brand....... the principle of physics remains the same.

(((Electromagnetic detectors are subject to ElectroMagnetic-Interference EMI)))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2016 03:33PM by NASA-Tom.
Re: RACER 2 Observation
March 06, 2016 06:44PM
Cool Tom to read your testing on this machine. Are you going to be writing about the new relic machine??

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 07, 2016 12:05AM
Some good info Tom.

I have wondered why some of the manufacturers fail to incorporate an internal system to find the freq that mitigates emi the best electrically,,, like the Minelab units, even the Garrett ATX pulse induction detector does.
March 07, 2016 01:28AM
Tom
Is the Racer 2 better or worse than the F75 SE that was released after the camo unit? I had a horrible time trying to tame that beast.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
March 07, 2016 01:34AM
LCPM........ I have had a CoRe+ proto unit for quite some time. (((Due to recommendation: Is now called Re or Relic....... as I felt the unit was substantially more of a relic unit....... vs...... coins hunting unit was a distant 'secondary'.))) I may share a bunch about this unit...... as time progresses.

tnss......... Yes, I'd like to see a box/block on the faceplate of the detector that continuously updates and shows 'best selected channel'...... for cleanest EMI.

It was quite a eye-opening experience to find dozens of targets............ then switch through the different channels............ and watch/witness what happens.
March 07, 2016 01:36AM
Thanks Tom

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

March 07, 2016 01:52AM
Tommy = The F75 SE/LTD is a hyper-gain unit [especially whilst in bp mode...... (((and....most folks do not know how to use this much power/sensitivity))) ]....... and is substantially more powerful over the R2. But.............. the R2 is a 'open audio-gate' format/principle of operation...............and..................... although not as deep as the F75 LTD/SE............... is more "effective" in highly trashy environments. In high trash environments..... the R2 is the winner for finding non-ferrous targets..... over the F75. (Effective Depth).
In medium-high (or less) trash environments..... the F75 will muscle through...... and outperform the R2 for overall depth. This is in environments of medium mineralization..... or less/lower mineralization.

It is always interesting to see the R2 hunt behind the F75............ and find non-Fe targets that the F75 can not see.
It is always interesting to see the F75 hunt behind the R2............ and find (usually deeper) targets that the R2 can not see.
In most cases................. you will see where one detector can hunt behind another unit..... and trump that unit. But not the other way around. With the F75 vs R2...... this is not the case.
March 07, 2016 02:45AM
Tom, Is the LTD2 with FA mode compared to Racer2 the same as original LTD? As in LTD2 still deeper than Racer2 and FA mode not helping close the gap with Racer 2 open gate?
March 07, 2016 02:58AM
Is the Tek omega 8500 a contender in this hunt?

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
March 07, 2016 08:18AM
Tom thanks for the feedback. The EMI issue (particularly silent EMI) is definitely discontenting.

What's your take on the R2 deep mode?

Going to be hitting a very remote, early Spanish site next month, and I should have the R2 by then. I'm trying to decide to use the R2, or the F75 LTD2 (time permitting, I'll use both). I do suspect there to be some deeper targets at this site, but some are shallow as well.
March 07, 2016 09:17AM
Rod = The LTD2 is deeper than R2.
Rod = The FA mode on the LTD2 certainly does indeed close the gap on the R2 in finding non-ferrous items in carpets of nails; yet, so far..... (still testing)..... it appears the R2 still remains slightly superior.

supertraq = I do not have a Tek 8500; hence, no head-to-head capabilities.

Brian = R2 'deep' mode. It certainly is slightly deeper than all other modes; yet, the audio 'lag time' takes some getting use to. Also.......... you can not use 'deep' mode unless you are field hunting whereby targets are few/sparse.
March 08, 2016 04:26AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Rod = The FA mode on the LTD2 certainly does
> indeed close the gap on the R2 in finding
> non-ferrous items in carpets of nails; yet, so
> far..... (still testing)..... it appears the R2
> still remains slightly superior.
>

Tom, really looking forward to hearing your test results on the FA mode vs the R2 in iron. Am I correct in assuming the FA mode is also not as deep as the R2 in regular mode (as opposed to "deep mode" )?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 05:14PM by DFinTX.
March 08, 2016 10:04AM
The mode that will be 'primary' for most R & R2 hunters is/will-be: 2-tone. That said............. yes, the R2 is deeper than the F75's FA mode.
March 08, 2016 06:33PM
Thank you sir. In my soil old coins are generally no deeper than 5" and some relics at 8", but I can see the FA mode's reduced depth capabilities being an issue for those with a greater sink rate as well as accounting at least in part for the R2's superior results in carpets of nails.

I've been in awe of the F75 LTD since first reading the Rcpt Ack of the F75 LTD thread a few years ago, and was recently able to get an F75 LTD2, and am always eager to learn everything I can about it, especially on this forum!
Iron audio
March 09, 2016 12:30PM
Tom

During your testing do you see any difference in the signal quality of partially masked targets at lower iron volume settings? Or is it just less fatiguing?
Re: Iron audio
March 09, 2016 03:31PM
Gosh Tom......... (unsuspecting) loaded question!

In truth...... the detectability of a non-ferrous target amongst ferrous....... is no different.................. regardless of 'iron volume' setting on the R2. It will not unmask any better.....with the iron volume turned down. HOWEVER, the 'human intelligibility' factor comes into play at a unsuspecting higher level of acuity ..........subsequently.... the MAN will do better than MACHINE. The human brain ( & ear) will focus/concentrate much better on the non-Fe target audio response........... focusing on the accentuated little nuances within the text/body of the 'multi-clues' audio...... allowing for a more intelligent decision-making process.

Then....................... secondarily .......................... 'less fatiguing' ............... comes into play. (((And will (intelligibly) keep you in the game longer.............. with the end-resultant of 'more finds' ))).
March 09, 2016 04:39PM
On the racer I dig a lot of targets that have over 70% of an iron tone..no I can't lower that tone but there is a 20% chance it's a gun or lock or part of a gun or key that is rusted but can be cleaned and looks great in my case..So we all hunt differently we all hear targets differently. I dig just about every target my detector can see and it pays off except it's a lot of work...Kind of feel like a miner after a days hunt but you have to work for these targets with all of the iron mixed in and trash...I love the racer 1

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 10, 2016 07:33AM
I'm a bit short on time............. but I have every intent to post a lot more of my field-testing experiences with the R2 prototype......... as.......... I believe............ the final production R2 is not much different as compared to the prototype. If I am still TOO short on time........... I may simply cut-and-paste my e-mails to/from Alper & Dilek. The R2 is a very formidable world competitor/performer.
March 10, 2016 03:02PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I may simply
> cut-and-paste my e-mails to/from Alper & Dilek.
> The R2 is a very formidable world
> competitor/performer.

good to hear and looking forward to your thoughts....hopefully I'll have mine by the end of the month.
curious how long you were to test yours prior to final production software cutoff date?
March 11, 2016 11:21PM
Since there was very little change between the Racer-2 prototype..... and the actual production run Racer-2.......... I shall 'cut-and-paste' my e-mail data that was between Dilek & Alper. Here goes:

RACER-2 initial preliminary report:

* I am not experiencing the problem that Keith is encountering in 'all-metal'
mode. My unit (whilst in all-metal mode)...... expresses extremely accurate ID's
(across the entire conductive spectrum of targets) at any depth/range. Where the
ID becomes inaccurate/unreliable is at the very last few percent of fringe
detection range......... which is normal/expected.

* Whilst in 3-tone...... I encounter approx 15%-20% reduced depth performance on
all targets. For a 'OLD-coin' hunter..... this is a show-stopper. Exactly
because of this....... I would never use the 3-tone option...... unless I am
simply hunting for modern coins at a local park (which I never do).

* Modern zinc pennies ID as a 68/69...... which is a mid-tone. For these modern
Zinc pennies .... I do not consider this to be a problem; HOWEVER, Many of the
OLDER coins ID as a mid-tone on this Racer2 unit...... whilst in 3-tone mode.
This is a problem. With the R2 having the ability to 'user-adjust' the tonebreak,
becomes critical..... and is a major attribute to have the ability to adjust all of the
tones.

* So far..... I am not encountering any problems with the Iron range
limited/small span of 00-10. And..... under certain applications/circumstances
..... this unit unmasks quite well. But...... I am too preliminary to determine
this.

* There is a large ID span from chewing gum 'foil' (ID of 11-13)..... to a U.S.
Nickel (ID of 30-32). I like this...... for many reasons..... and has multiple
applications specifically due to this.

* In all-metal, 2-tone & 3-tone options....... I'm only air-testing a US Quarter
to (no greater than) 11". This seems sub-par.

* DEEP mode is most definitely the deepest mode; yet, the lag-time is a bit too
excessive. Identical timing (with same issues) as the T2 in 'cl' cashe mode. I
would rather have the snap-shot timing reduced a bit.... to become more
usable..... at the cost of a bit of depth performance.

* The ID accuracy on iron targets...... to full depth.... is commendable. Major
attribute.

* The left-hand side of the display....... the letters are quite small....and
may bother some people.

* EMI stability (so far) appears to be exceptionally good.

* Unit does 'overload' a bit easier than most units; however, (so far) it is not
annoying/disabling.

* Ergonomics are VERY good. Zero fatigue encountered.

* Beach (wet salt) mode expresses a large loss in detection depth on the entire
conductive spectrum..... especially on lower conductors. This (unfortunately)
has become the 'expected norm'.

* When switching between modes (ie DI2, DI3, all-metal, DEEP, BEACH)......
Sensitivity & Discriminate settings revert to factory preset. I would much
prefer the detector to simply switch modes.... retaining all other settings.
"Save" feature must be employed.

* As with CoRe+ ....... this Racer2 (Whilst in any of the VCO modes).......
presents a audio 'pitch' variance when the coil is within the first (approx) 50%
of detection range. The entire remaining 50% of detection range is all the same
monotone. I would much prefer the first 90% of detection range to produce a
varying (accordingly) VCO pitch change....................... with only the last
10% of detection range to be monotone.

* I prefer the words "ID Filter" be changed to "Discrim"...... to match
common/universal industry standards.
* I prefer the words "Notch Filter" be changed to "Notch Discrim"..... to match
common/universal industry standards.
* I prefer the words "Iron Audio" be changed to "Iron Volume"...... for easier
understanding.

* This unit employs K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple-Stupid) theory. All
modes/features/functions are NOT on hidden menu's and sub-menu's; rather,
everything is all on the front panel. This is important.

* On a Sensitivity setting of 98 & 99..... the unit 'just starts' to go into a
'overdriven' status. In some areas...... this is a critical function /// nice
feature.

* My inert Florida dirt does not allow me to properly employ/test the all-metal
'iSAT' function...... so I can not report on this function. But..... because of
my inert/mineral-free dirt...... I can report real-time deeper depths on actual
finds. . . . reporting more of a 'full potential' depth capabilities of any/all
units to be tested.

More to follow.

Sincerely,

Tom

Hi Dilek & Alper,

17 HOURS OF ADDITIONAL FIELD RESULTS FOR THE RACER-2:

* On extended hunts..... this unit is non-fatiguing.

* Having the ability to 'user-adjust' the high-tone tone-break is of major
importance..... and a major tool........ providing tremendous attributes in the
real world. Never to be underestimated. By simply changing the tone-break
set-point on the high conductors...... poses MULTIPLE application use. This is a
feature that should have been available 20 years ago. Major
attributes/applications.

* I find the lowest available tone for iron......... and the highest available
tone for high conductors...... to be exclusively employed.

* For real-world applications..... a tone-break setting of '5' is pinnacle for
most applications........ in the effort to ascertain maximum unmasking abilities
in carpets of nails. I have found (on a few applications) where iron has further
decomposed enough, whereby, a tone-break setting of '4' is ideal.

* This unit...... once again....... proves to be very "ID confident" on single
targets.... ID'ing targets correctly to near maximum depths. The
accuracy/results in carpets of nails is a different story....... whereby,
ignoring the VDI ID is highly recommended with badly masked targets. In this
case...... rely exclusively/solely on 'audio' reports. Ignore the VDI ID.

* Power consumption (battery use) appears to be fairly heavy; yet, acceptable.

* Again, field results dictate that using the 3-tone option..... presents a
15%-20% reduction in real-world depth performance. I attempted to use
Sensitivity settings of 98 and 99..... to see if depth performance was restored;
yet, the unit was a bit unstable with such high Sens settings.... possibly due
to local environmental conditions. Subsequently; I choose to not use the 3-tone
option.

* This RACER2 unit continues to validate itself as a 'relic' hunter...... and
not so much as a coin hunter.... due to having to use the unit in 2-tone
mode..... so as to ascertain maximum depth performance.

* Using the DEEP mode....... on multiple occasions ..... is a bit
difficult...... due to the time-lag response to targets.

* There is virtually no need to employ any form of Discrimination on this
unit..... due to tone-break providing nearly 100% intelligence.

* One local site/location presented excessively high EMI conditions (even low
Sens settings proved ineffective)... that I had to leave that particular site.

* When switching between modes (and NOT turning the unit off)..... still
requires to 'save' each individual mode settings. I would like to see this
changed.

* The RACER2 will unmask (thus far) approximately 11% better than the F75
platform...... yet is approximately 7% less depth performance in real dirt.....
real-world hunting conditions. In order for the F75 to have this depth
advantage...... 'boost process' (bp) mode must be employed. The F75 has a much
greater depth advantage over the RACER2..... when 'cl' (cache) mode is
invoked....... BUT, I consider the 'cl' mode nearly unusable for practical
application......... once again..... due to excessive time-lag/delayed audio
response to targets.

* Very positive attributes to this heavy epoxy-filled 11" coil. Very
solid/stable coil to swing..... with minimal oscillations .... minimum induced
chatter.

Out of time!

Sincerely,

Tom

Hi Alper,

On the modes that provide/present less depth (like Beach & DI3)..... the ID
is very accurate to their reduced/limited depths.... and maybe a few percent
more accurate over DI2 or All-Metal mode. Where the ID accuracy starts to
degrade is.... in the deeper modes (DI2, All Metal) at their fringe depths.
These 'fringe depths' are beyond the detectable range of Beach & DI3
modes....... so the 'expectation' is..... weak/fringe depth targets are going to
have a greater propensity to be less accurate. ((( All of these results are with
VERY mild Florida silica inert dirt. Nearly mineral-free. )))

Alper....... you mention that Beach & DI3 are a faster (clock-speed/timing)
mode...... and I am currently measuring/testing this ..... as (yesterday) I did
indeed witness this phenomenon ...... and wanted to further verify. Thus
far...... it does appear to be more 'sharp' / intelligent / fast. I will
experiment with this a bit more. BUT...... I must say this = A more shallow
depth capability (in DI3) to gain more speed/sharp response...... in lieu of
depth...... is a large detriment in fast sink-rate soils.
One of my thoughts would be....... keep the current DI3 mode.... but complement
it with a DI3+ mode (Which restores depth....and forfeits some of the faster
clock-speed). Just a thought/option.
Another (and very serious) recommendation..... is to create a 4-Khz
bronze/copper/silver "COIN" unit. Make it a 3-tone unit (no other tone
option)... with adjustable tone-break on high-tone & low-tone. Iron Volume.
Modes: FAST, DEEP, DEEP-BOOST. 5" DD, 11" Elliptical DD, and 13" round DD. Keep
it very simple, effective...... and put all focus on 'depth'.

* As far as 'DEEP' mode on Racer2 vs CoRe+ ........ I like the faster of the
two.... as it is more user-friendly/intelligible. When a unit has a DEEP mode
employed.... that presents TOO many snapshots...... the timing 'delay' becomes a
burden (difficult for real-world application). On the Fisher F75...... I find
the 'cl' mode to be excessively slow.... and smeared-audio which is difficult to
understand..... not easy to use. In a test-garden..... and for bench testing
purposes...... the 'cl' mode is impressively deep/sensitive; yet, not real-world
usable.

As far as the F75 presenting 7% more usable depth. I configured the Racer2 to
present/provide maximum intelligible/usable depth. This is to say..... a Gain
setting of '98' (which just starts to present 'some' instability)...... DI2, ID
Filter 03, Notch Filter 03, Tone Break 05, Audio Tone 17...... and Grnd Balance
The F75 is in 'bp' (boost process) mode...... with a Sens of 80, Grnd Balance
90, 4-Tone, Disc 01...... and proper F1 - F7 frequency selection that provides
the best EMI mitigation. Both units are equipped with 11" elliptical DD coils.
The test targets were a high conductive U.S. Dime........ and also a low
conductive U.S. Nickel.

Sincerely,

Tom

Hi Alper,

Ok. Good to know. For your information...... many sites do not have
associated EMI...... so changing the Freq has been a moot point. At the one
particular site where EMI was severe...... changing the Freq to all 5 available
positions/options was rendered ineffective. BUT...... there was a transformer
15m above the ground........ 60-HZ........ that was badly leaking
(chattering)...... could be easily heard.....,,,,,,,....... and NO detector
would have performed there ...with any form of usable performance.

Sincerely,

Tom

Alper,

It is commendable that you can MAKE these changes (before release) AND
understand the detecting community 'needs'. This is what will set
standard/ordinary detectors (and Mfr's) apart from 'serious-intent'
Manufacturers. Pushing the limits....... reaching for higher goals....... and
succeeding...... is honorable.
I too..... am seeing/witnessing about 1/2cm depth loss on Racer-2 (vs the older
Gen Racer). This is both on lower conductors and higher conductors. And both
units being driven to maximum 'usable' capabilities. Both units in DI2,
Sensitivity/Gain on 98 and 99...... low Disc,,,,,,,,, so as to compare
apples-to-apples. . . . . . . to ascertain validity in the 'controlled
environment' testing process. This 1/2cm depth loss on the Racer-2 is noticeable
in the real-world...... real-dirt hunting conditions.......... ESPECIALLY if you
have the ability to compare head-to-head to original Racer.

Sincerely,

Tom

Hi Alper,

It is approximately 0.5cm ( 1/2cm ) less depth on a clad dime. In certain
situations...... it is actually one full cm (1cm)..... and this is with a high
conductor US dime. It is verifiable in a test-garden under controlled
conditions....... and also verifiable in the real-world with real-dirt.
Sincerely,

Tom

I really should prudently 'proof' this data..... before posting; yet, I believe it is good/clean data. REMEMBER....... this is my PROTOTYPE findings. Some things may have been corrected.
March 11, 2016 11:29PM
Hi Monte & Alper,

Yes....... in my inert Florida dirt, I am genuinely seeing/witnessing a
1/2cm (0.5cm) loss of depth on low and high conductors .... when I compare the
Racer to the Racer-2. I am quite certain this larger depth loss is indeed
witnessed (at a higher depth-loss rate) due to my silica/quartz based soil.

Sincerely,

Tom

Hi Alper,

Here is a engineering thought...... so as to mitigate this condition. On the
Racer-2, you could have Sens settings of:

94, 95, 96, 97, +1, +2, +3

or

94, 95, 96, 97, B1, B2, B3

This would be a "Boosted" Sensitivity that would signify to the user/operator
(with according explanation in operators manual)...... of a setting/option that
is 'different from the norm'. In the owners manual...... you could state:
"These high settings are not recommended..... unless rare/remote stable
atmosphere conditions exist". This option would also circumvent the mandatory
requirement to run 'deep' or 'boost' types of modes....with their
associated/according inherent slower target response(s)....... due to more
snap-shots being sampled.

Sincerely,

Tom

Hi Alper,

For the past few weeks....... I have spent considerable time with the
Racer-2. I have (primarily) focused on "DEEP" mode. In summary, I have found no
appreciable gain in depth....in the real world (real dirt). Keep in mind,
Florida dirt is fairly neutral.... as far as mineralization is concerned. I
hunted several areas that are many Km apart from each other....... and 4 of the
sites allowed to run Sens on 99. ID filter '3' and tone-break at '5'. Three of
the 4 sites required a Freq shift ..... so as to mitigate EMI. This time, the
Frequency shift worked perfectly...... getting rid of all audible EMI. My intent
would be to find many 'fringe depth' targets in DEEP mode..... then switch to
DI2 mode. In 72 (out of 73) cases ((( targets of different size/conductivity,
all fringe depth ))) all targets were detectable in both DI2 and DEEP modes. DI2
mode was also on Sens 99 .... with all other settings/configurations set up
exactly the same. The only notable difference between DEEP and DI2 mode was that
DEEP mode presented a bit longer audio response. ID accuracy was comparable. The
additional delay in audio response whilst in DEEP mode can be fatiguing ......
after a period of detecting time.

Due to the depth loss in DI3 mode, I find myself hunting in DI2 mode all of the
time (unless I am deliberately testing another mode). In order to 'coin hunt'
whilst in DI2 mode........ I use 'tone-break' at much higher settings........ so
as to compensate for the lack of 3-tones. Not only is this adjustable tone-break
extremely beneficial........ it has become a mandatory (and critical) tool for
so many applications. Too many applications to list!

Sincerely,

Tom

Hi Dilek,

I have a 11.2" deep dime that both DI2 and DEEP will (just barely)..... yet,
consistently detect. On the 11.4" deep dime...... neither mode will detect the
dime. BUT...... what is noteworthy: the DI2 mode (on the 11.2" dime) requires
that the coil be almost scrubbing the ground. When I switch over to the DEEP
mode...... I can sweep the coil nearly 4" above the ground.... before the 11.2"
deep dime goes undetected (signal breaks up). This is very typical of 'boost
process' modes. Part of the rationale has to do with my low-mineralization dirt.
Hope this data helps!

Sincerely,

Tom
wjs
March 12, 2016 12:29PM
Were some of the changes you suggested Tom changed before the production models were shipped. Such as saving the setting when you switch modes?
March 12, 2016 01:28PM
I hope they were. Would only make sense. Sounds like 2 tone is as deep as my f75ltd2 is in BP mode. And 3 tone is equal to standard mode of f75.. Nothing wrong with that.

wjs Wrote:
> Were some of the changes you suggested Tom changed
> before the production models were shipped. Such as
> saving the setting when you switch modes?
March 12, 2016 03:22PM
Bill....... I do not believe so. Simply switching between modes (ie.... all-metal, 2-Tone, 3-tone, Deep) and having NEVER turned the detector off....... still requires 'save' invoked.... in order to save the settings. I found myself switching between 2-Tone.... over to DEEP mode ...to test/compare signals........,,,,,,,,,,........ and would have to readjust all settings every time........ when switching between these modes....... UNLESS you 'save' each 'mode' setup/configuration. And, I also would like........ when you do turn the detector off........ it would naturally 'save' your last settings in ALL of the modes........ without having to save everything before you turn the detector off.
Makro/Nokta is soooo amicable....... that I'm willing to bet........ they will........ on-the-fly........ make in-flight course corrections........ and just simply incorporate/implement these small software mod's without too much 'over-communicating' to the general public. LET THIS HAPPEN. Do not stifle/inhibit technological advancements & innovations ....... by making statements (feelings) like: "I wish they would stop making changes....right after I bought mine". NEVER stifle human progress.
wjs
Re: RACER 2 TESTING
March 12, 2016 03:45PM
Thanks for the answer Tom. I am so glad they are taking your input as to what should be incorporated into the detector. I think this race2 is going to fit my hunting style perfectly.
March 12, 2016 04:14PM
As I re-read portions of my post(s)........ I badly need to make a clarification.............. as to the recommendation to a 4-KHz unit. When I say modes,

FAST
DEEP
DEEP-BOOST

Yes, as far as software operating principle......... this is done (primarily) with timing/snapshot samples. In a nutshell....... it is needed to have the DEEP and DEEP-BOOST to be 'additional timing'; YET, YET....... certainly NOT to the point where it is like the 'cl' cache mode (excessively slow and fatiguing audio delay response) on the T2/F75 platform....... AND on the R2 DEEP mode. This lagging/smeared audio delay is hardly usable.....and quite fatiguing. TOO far.... TOO much snapshot time delay..... to be real-world 'usable'.

And yes, a true simultaneous multi-freq platform .... may be a good start.

For those of whom are acquiring a R2....and are 'astute/seasoned' detectorists....... you will REALLY like the R2. It is a very 'dialed-in' tool. Do not underestimate. USE the tone-break in proper hair-splitting attribute capabilities....... in concert with ...... USE the iron audio volume to its maximum HumInt (human intelligence) capabilities. Watch what happens (on two fronts).
March 12, 2016 05:19PM
Tom, would the all metal mode be the deepest setting and was it giving a good Tid at depth, was there a need for a slow sweep as in deep mode? On pasture i was using my etrac with no disc and was hoping to do the same with the R2
Sorry for sooo many questions, kinda looking forward to my R2 arriving lol
March 12, 2016 05:54PM
Thanks Tom for lending your intelligent expertise to the development of the Racer 2 - I am enjoying the fruits of the effort by you and others. Good job, and again - thank you!
March 12, 2016 06:28PM
Amazing stuff Tom thx
March 12, 2016 06:29PM
Steve H....... you're welcome. And........ don't forget your years of testing/input in the developmental steering-committee of these wonderful devices!

ghound = In my nearly inert dirt.... the all-metal mode produced nearly identical depths on the full spectrum of conductivity targets; yet, in DI2 Discrim mode....... the audible intelligibility is substantially more resolute. I much prefer the ID mode over all-metal.....for this reason.