Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

RACER 2 TESTING

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: RACER 2 TESTING
March 12, 2016 06:56PM
Cheers Tom
March 12, 2016 10:39PM
supertraq
Is the Tek omega 8500 a contender in this hunt?
I haven't used the 8500, but spent a lot of time with the Omega 8000, including some comparison time last years with the original Racer. I have heard from a few people who had an 8000 and got the 8500 (very few I might add) and for hunting in trashy sites, especially iron junk, they preferred the 8000, and when I compared the Omega 8000 to the Racer, matching similar sized coils ('OOR' to 5" DD and 5½X10 to 5X10) and easily the Racer was the better all-around performer. Factor on the Racer 2 with much improved rod and search coil designs and the added adjustment functions, and I don't think the Omega 8500 would be much of a match.

wjs
Such as saving the setting when you switch modes?
The Racer DOES retain separate mode adjustment changes as long as the detector is turned 'On' and operating. You can switch back-and-forth through any search mode, make changes to individual modes, and change modes, but when you shift back the momentary adjustments are retained.

Once the detector is turned 'Off' however, it will start back up with the saved settings in every mode and in your saved start-up search mode. I like that design as it is ready, at turn-on, for most of the hunting I want to do in each assigned search mode with all my settings saved, but when I am hunting a location, I can make ;little 'tweaks' to different settings in any mode and they are there as long as it is On and I am searching.

If you determine which custom settings you like for each search mode, and know which mode you want to start-up in, then all you have to do is write down all the settings, per mode, and retain that in case you want to reprogram later. Then, if you get to a site where you might want some changes in a mode or two, and be able to turn the detector off for a lunch break or something, you can 'SAve' the current changes. After that hunting adventure, you just refer to your notes and restore the setting you prefer.

ghound
Tom, would the all metal mode be the deepest setting and was it giving a good Tid at depth,
.... I'm not Tom, but so far, in most applications where you can get the best performance from an All Metal mode search (sparse trash for example), then Yes, the All Metal mode might provide the deepest detection. The Racer 2, like all my Racer and FORS series models, provides very reasonable TID on mid-depth to deeper targets compared with many competitor's models I have used, in the All Metal mode.

Naturally 'accurate' TID can be influenced by the ground mineral content, the located target's size, shape and position/orientation, etc., and this applies to any make or model detector. The Racer 2, in the varied ground mineral environments I have worked it in so far (E. Oregon and W. Idaho), has a very satisfactory numeric target read-out. That said, I have hunted a few spare-target places, to include my own yard and a local grassy park, where I intentionally worked them to locate some mid-depth to deeper targets just to compare the five different search modes. In most cases the All Metal mode was the winner, but in a few I felt I had a little better depth of detection response and improved TID read-out using the 'DEEP,' 2-Tone Discriminate mode, when both had the most allowable Gain setting useable (that would have been '95' or higher).

ghound
... was there a need for a slow sweep as in deep mode?
Yes, but 'slow' is a matter of personal reference or description. The 'DEEP' mode requires a slower sweep and very limited targets in the area so as not to interfere with its ability to work well. The 'DEEP' mode is just that, and that also implies it is not best suited for a trashy site that would therefore hamper depth of detection. It is best suited for a sparse-target location and worked at a proper, dedicated sweep presentation.

ghound
On pasture i was using my etrac with no disc and was hoping to do the same with the R2
Sorry for sooo many questions, kinda looking forward to my R2 arriving lol
When you get your Racer 2, and use it with comparable size search coils, you will soon learn the strengths and performance capabilities of this detector ... not to mention it will balance much better than your e-trac. Be sure to report in after you have spent a bit of time to learn and master what the Racer 2 offers in the way of features and performance. I am sure you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Monte
March 14, 2016 04:46PM
Cheers Monte
March 17, 2016 07:38PM
Not a fan of Keith's grip angle. Feels awkward like SE Pro to me. Personal preference I guess. It's definitely still a relic machine. High gain required for id depth. ID not as tight as I would hope. Audio still tops of course. Im comparing to a g2+ right now and ergo on g2 is way ahead. For me, again personal. Racer slight edge on depth. G2+ edge on ID. Audio hands down racer. I havent gotten to unmasking yet. Im sure racer wins there. Different strokes...both fun.
March 17, 2016 07:44PM
Craig

With the 5.5x10 coils (thanks by the way) it balances the same as the G2 to me. Don't have to grip it, it just lays across my fingers with no wrist fatigue.
March 17, 2016 08:43PM
Awesome to hear! for me the grip gives my wrist and awkward downward tilt instead of being square. Things I can do to fix that though. smiling smiley I will get out tomorrow and test with the R13 coil as well.