Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer 2 question?

Posted by canslawhero 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer 2 question?
March 07, 2016 02:26PM
decided to pre-order the Racer2 (thanks Craig) to complement my G2+.
I was curious how the Racers 2-tone audio compares to the G2's VCO audio?
I'm under the impression that they are very similar...I'm very fond of the G2's audio btw.

curious how with the Racer's potential depth on good coin-sized target's if there are
audio hints as to the depth involved...ie good repeatable signal, no surface indication from pinpointer,
dig down say 6", still nothing with PP and so on till say at 7 or 8" PP hits it....is this a common
scenario?

also, with the recent talk about 'deep' mode it sounds like it could be used to check an iffy deep signal (with a slow sweep), reasonable?

cheers
Re: Racer 2 question?
March 07, 2016 02:33PM
canslawhero Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> decided to pre-order the Racer2 (thanks Craig) to
> complement my G2+.
> I was curious how the Racers 2-tone audio compares
> to the G2's VCO audio?
> I'm under the impression that they are very
> similar...I'm very fond of the G2's audio btw.
>
> curious how with the Racer's potential depth on
> good coin-sized target's if there are
> audio hints as to the depth involved...ie good
> repeatable signal, no surface indication from
> pinpointer,
> dig down say 6", still nothing with PP and so on
> till say at 7 or 8" PP hits it....is this a
> common
> scenario?
>
> also, with the recent talk about 'deep' mode it
> sounds like it could be used to check an iffy deep
> signal (with a slow sweep), reasonable?
>
> cheers

Regarding the deep mode - the below video should help:

[www.youtube.com]
March 07, 2016 11:43PM
One thing I've found on the Deep mode is in soil its really not a whole ot deeper but it also allows for a whole lot more air gap...

Say theres a 8 inch dime...both modes should hear it regular and Deep... But put 3 inches of straw or leaves or brush on top of the dirt and then you have a 11 inch dime but the normal mode wont report it .. the Deep mode will..

As for the Audio ..I love the VCO audio of the G2 and the R2 employees VCO also but I can assure you the R2 or even the R1 will blow you away with Audio report..

No comparison...its the first digital unit that I've ran across that's got Old school audio feel in a new school design..

P.S. when using Deep its slower so needs to be used in more isolated target scenarios.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 08, 2016 01:50AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> One thing I've found on the Deep mode is in soil
> its really not a whole ot deeper but it also
> allows for a whole lot more air gap...
>
> Say theres a 8 inch dime...both modes should hear
> it regular and Deep... But put 3 inches of straw
> or leaves or brush on top of the dirt and then you
> have a 11 inch dime but the normal mode wont
> report it .. the Deep mode will..
>
> As for the Audio ..I love the VCO audio of the G2
> and the R2 employees VCO also but I can assure you
> the R2 or even the R1 will blow you away with
> Audio report..
>
> No comparison...its the first digital unit that
> I've ran across that's got Old school audio feel
> in a new school design..
>
> P.S. when using Deep its slower so needs to be
> used in more isolated target scenarios.
>
> Keith

appreciate the reply Keith...can't wait to get my hands on it....I plan to rehit a few sites that stopped producing...
March 08, 2016 04:01AM
Not to get our "SIGANALS" crossed, but if he would of went even slower, the targets would have been even more pronounced.
March 08, 2016 11:24AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Not to get our "SIGANALS" crossed, but if he would
> of went even slower, the targets would have been
> even more pronounced.

Agree, he should have tried reducing the sweep speed a little at a time to see how slow it would give "diggable siganal". His slow sweep is more like a normal sweep for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 11:25AM by Jackpine.
canslawhero, here're my personal opinions on your Racer 2 questions/comments:
March 10, 2016 05:29PM
canslawhero, here're my personal opinions on your Racer 2 questions/comments:

canslawhero
decided to pre-order the Racer2 (thanks Craig) to complement my G2+. I was curious how the Racers 2-tone audio compares to the G2's VCO audio? I'm under the impression that they are very similar...I'm very fond of the G2's audio btw.
Did you get only the standard Racer 2, or also the Pro Package to benefit from the smaller-size DD coil? I used to use the G2 from when it was released until early 2014. I also had two Fisher F19's which, so far as the circuitry is concerned, is the Teknetics G2+.

I did like the 2-Tone audio of the F19's, but I wasn't impressed with the Discrimination circuitry. The Iron break-point of '40' would have been handy, but to reject the four nails in my Nail Board Performance Test required a Disc. setting of '37' to '38' and that meant very little room to fine tune the iron trash rejection point. The Teknetics EuroTek Pro was the same way and it operated at 7.8 kHz, and required a high ± '38' Disc. setting to reject the nails. The Teknetics Omega 8000 would reject iron nails with a setting of about '16' to '18' and it also operated at 7.8 kHz. The Teknetics T2's rejected iron nails at a setting of '21' to '24'.'

Otherwise, the 2-Tone general search modes are kind of similar, but the advantage goes to the Racer 2, in my opinion. Much better audio response, better depth, better Discrimination setting to allow more fine tuning in the iron TID range than the G2+, F19, and many other detectors.

The audio of the different search modes of the Racer 2 conveys a lot of information, and the operator can change the Audio Tone Levels of the Low/High in the 2-Tone modes, or the Low/Medium/High tones of the 3-Tone mode. I had a few G2's and they worked, but the Racer 2 audio and overall performance is much improved, as is the detection depth on higher-conductive targets.

canslawhero
curious how with the Racer's potential depth on good coin-sized target's if there are audio hints as to the depth involved...ie good repeatable signal, no surface indication from pinpointer, dig down say 6", still nothing with PP and so on till say at 7 or 8" PP hits it....is this a common scenario?
Last week in a moderately littered area of a ghost town with rusty tin scattered about, I had a very clean, clear signal and from 6"-6½" and I recovered a 1908-D Barber Dime, which was impressive using the small 'OOR' coil to work in and around all the tin and other debris. If there wasn't any masking trash close buy, I would have been able to get it a little deeper.

Tuesday, at a different old mining town site, I got a nickel-sized Chinese Cash Coin that was on a very abrupt angle at about 5", Again, I know I would have hit that coin a little deeper, easily, but in was also in amongst a lot of ferrous trash in rocky, highly mineralized soil.. All this was using the small 'OOR' Double-D coil and a standard coil would have provided more depth on these coins as well.

canslawhero
also, with the recent talk about 'deep' mode it sounds like it could be used to check an iffy deep signal (with a slow sweep), reasonable?
Very reasonable, and I have done that several times in areas where there wasn't any nearby trash. 'DEEP' is just another tool of the Racer 2 and is best used in a sparse-target location. I have mainly used the 'DEEP' mode in some urban Coin Hunting applications where targets are sparse so there is no nearby target masking. I've compared performance of 3-Toine and 2-Tone modes, then checked using the 'DEEP' mode before I recovered the target and there is a definite improvement in depth by an inch and in a couple of cases maybe 2" over the 2-Tone mode.

It's just nice to have the available search modes for times when we can benefit from them. I've employed the slower-sweep but deeper detecting mode of the Racer 2 and FORS Relic in a variety of ground mineral conditions and both have shown an ability to provide improved depths in their deeper search modes, but it does call for a little reduction in sweep speed and where targets are not masked.

Monte
thanks Monte, really appreciate the information..

yes, I ordered the pro pack to get the 5" coil, and also ordered the 5x10 since I really like the coverage and closed nature...

hopefully the pre-orders will get shipped by the end of the month...looking forward to some deeper coins..
Re: canslawhero, here're my personal opinions on your Racer 2 questions/comments:
March 10, 2016 08:52PM
"hopefully the pre-orders will get shipped by the end of the month"

Im hoping the end of the week. This waiting BS is for the birds lol
March 10, 2016 10:49PM
I've got mine on pre order, going from an etrac so be interested to see how it performs.