Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

An "ergonomic" concern regarding the AT Pro for wading

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
An "ergonomic" concern regarding the AT Pro for wading
December 13, 2010 10:13AM
I just finished reading Keith's and one other review over on findmall that leaves me shaking my head about the physical design. Why on earth spend the time and development dollars to make this thing waterproof and stick it in a package that will kill your arm and wrist in no time when wading.

My concern is the armcup being too close to the control housing causing wrist fatigue and the shaft wobble. Combine these elements with the large coil and its sure to be an arm killer for wading.

Guess they had to save some bucks somewhere.

Just my thoughts

Tom Z
Re: An "ergonomic" concern regarding the AT Pro for wading
December 13, 2010 04:19PM
After all these years you would think they would get it right?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 03:13AM by Lawrenzo.
December 13, 2010 06:29PM
They SURE DO have some bugs to "iron out" of that baby! (in several areas)----------Del
December 13, 2010 07:44PM
Tom, I could be wrong here but I just don't see that they have (at least up to this point) a "culture" that collects constructive critique and then decide to make quick improvements based on that if deemed relevant. IF they are in a new phase to release several hobby detectors in the near future, I hope that they realize input from a broader base might be beneficial. I fully realize that is a two edged sword also and sometimes for the sake of time and progress you just need to move forward. I shudder to think what would have happened if when raising my son, I only coddled him and automatically angrily discounted any outside constructive criticism.
December 13, 2010 11:26PM
I am (moreso) concerned about 'electronics' performance........and hardly the minor cosmetics (allbeit important)........until the performance of the unit can 'justify'.
December 14, 2010 02:48PM
BuckeyeBrad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom, I could be wrong here but I just don't see
> that they have (at least up to this point) a
> "culture" that collects constructive critique and
> then decide to make quick improvements based on
> that if deemed relevant. IF they are in a new
> phase to release several hobby detectors in the
> near future, I hope that they realize input from a
> broader base might be beneficial. I fully realize
> that is a two edged sword also and sometimes for
> the sake of time and progress you just need to
> move forward. I shudder to think what would have
> happened if when raising my son, I only coddled
> him and automatically angrily discounted any
> outside constructive criticism.

I agree Brad. Tom's forum allows anything honest but there is another forum that doesn't allow comparisons on some of the forums... I think the other one is getting money from the manufacturers and they don't want to jeapordize the cash flow by allowing people to write honest opinions that say they think Y detector is better than X detector for some use (and why they think it is better) and post it on the Y forum. I've also noticed, over there, that some people will attack the messenger personally if they dare question the new X detector, the detector that is obviously "going to make all other detectors obsolete". It is like: If you have any problem with this machine then you obviously have not used it enough, you are not doing something right, or you're just stupid.

I really have no idea if Garrett is listening or if they care. I get the idea that they will only care if it affects the bottom line (they are not the only company like that) and at this point I think they are going to sell all they can make so I don't expect any changes. Maybe someone will make money selling aftermarket shafts and HP adapters... I hope so.

J
December 14, 2010 05:51PM
I agree with you Brad and Julien. I believe the AT has some definite shortcomings that should be addressed, but probably won't be, as so many of the "faithful" simply will not take their blinders off. Brad, you nailed it with, "I hope that they realize input from a broader base might be beneficial." it is unfortunate that many of the "faithful" don't realize what technology is actually out there today, at any price. But, "have I mentioned that the AT is water proof down to 10 feet." HH jim tn
December 14, 2010 06:10PM
Yeah Jackpine it's perfect for my 11 year old daughter.....

There is a guy who makes extender's but who want to do that?

funny thing is the front part of the pole froward of the hardgrip is extra long why don't they just flip it around? I thought about doing mine like that...

what worries me more is is the coil wobble falsing like in the video I did could you work water action without it falsing????waves and curren i believe will cause abrupt changes in sweep pattern..

Keith
December 14, 2010 09:19PM
Keith reversing coil direction at the end of a sweep against the water resistance could cause it I but I'm only guessing. Ergonmonics is very important to me and I'm more concerned about the fatigue factor. I had to give up using large coils when wading a couple years ago Biggest I can handle is 10" for any length of time and I prefer smaller. Used to be able to go all day with the 10.5" CZ coil but, no more. Shame too because up in my lakes a well tuned CZ with the 10.5"er cranked up is deadly for covering large areas for fresh drops as it hits way off to the side. Unless you happen to hit a virgin site, inland water hunting is mostly about covering a lot of area.

Tom
December 16, 2010 01:28AM
Jackpine Wrote:
> Keith reversing coil direction at the end of a
> sweep against the water resistance could cause it
> I but I'm only guessing. Ergonmonics is very
> important to me and I'm more concerned about the
> fatigue factor. I had to give up using large
> coils when wading a couple years ago Biggest I
> can handle is 10" for any length of time and I
> prefer smaller. Used to be able to go all day
> with the 10.5" CZ coil but, no more. Shame too
> because up in my lakes a well tuned CZ with the
> 10.5"er cranked up is deadly for covering large
> areas for fresh drops as it hits way off to the
> side. Unless you happen to hit a virgin site,
> inland water hunting is mostly about covering a
> lot of area.
>
> Tom

Tom,

I bet you could take the 10" coil on the Sovereign GT without any problem if you are usingiton grass. The GT has a long shaft. I have to chestmount iton the beach but on a lawn it is a dream because of it's balance. You can hold it with the top of your forearm and one finger and glide the coil over the grass. I have a bad back, arthritis and degenerative disc disease in the cervical and thorassic area, basically between my shoulderblades so any thing I do with my arms out, lifting or holding, gives me a big problem in a hurry. Some detectors Ican use easier than others and some I can more easily use are actually heavier, like the E-TRAC. It really does not bother me as much as an F75/T2 and I can use larger coils on it with no problem. In the woods or on the beach where I have to holdthe coil off the ground then things change but chestmounted I can use the GT for as long as I want... it may be different for you but I bet different machines, some that you would never imagine would work out for you, will make life easier... in other words, I have found that it isn't the weight as much as the ergonomics... and they are different for everyone. Lightweight does not necessary mean a thing and one persons ergomics might be another persons nightmare.
Another example, for me, are the E-TRAC and the V3. I can use both at the same site and in less than an hour using the V3 I will begin to get a muscle spasm in the middle of my back where I have a very slight curve in my spine... why? I don't know, no good reason but it happens with the D2 coil but the ET with the 11" coil at the same place, no problem for me.I have had others tell me that the improved handle angle on the ET is worse for them.. so I conclude that it is all different for everyone and more so as we age. I'd say if you want to use larger coils... try as many different machines as you possibly can, one might be the "one".

HH,

Julien
Yeah the 10" on the Musky is the same with the box mounted below the arm cup...
December 16, 2010 11:00AM
It's a sweetie for extended hunts. I have used it for wading and its not much of a problem. Contrary to what a lot of folks prefer, s-rods work best for me for wading. The 10.5" Fisher coil's design creates more water drag/resistance for some reason.

Perhaps something in the V3's rod design causes more of an upper body twisting motion when sweeping that aggravates your back?

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 11:01AM by Jackpine.
One thing no one mentioned.....
December 17, 2010 02:03PM
The connector locations (headphones and coil). I dont care how small your fingers are, the design of the connector "wells" make it impossible to easily plug in the coil and the headphones. There is no room what so ever to tighten them down without a great deal of effort. They also used a very bad style of connector with tiny pins that will invariably get bent while struggling to plug them into the unit housing. I forsee a lot of these units going back in for repairs for damage to the connectors, or for water leakage because poeple were unable to tighten them down properly.
Scully
December 17, 2010 04:09PM
I use the uniprobe it will never work for me

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

December 17, 2010 08:04PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> I use the uniprobe it will never work for me

Why??? I use the Pocket Uniprobe with every detector... is there a problem with it or just the U-P built into phones? I think there is or will be an adapter.

J
December 18, 2010 03:21AM
It won't plug into the headphone jack

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]