Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First trip out with the Makro Racer2 and a dealer shout out!

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First trip out with the Makro Racer2 and a dealer shout out!
March 22, 2016 03:23AM
I got the new Makro Racer2 and was itching to test it out at an iron infested ghost town'ish kind of site that it should excel at. My detecting buddy was gracious enough to take me to one of his 'worked out back pocket' sites to see if it could eek anything out from amidst of the sea of iron. This is an early California site, nothing to do with the Spanish or missions, but was a camping site of John C. Frémont and his men early on. The R2 has adjustable iron audio and tone break that can be set in either two or three tone audio mode. I have to say that adjustable iron audio is a tool that all detectors should be equipped with, it's a big asset hunting in the sea of nail type of environs that we encounter at these old sites. The first time I ran iron audio (at 2), it actually sounded like I was getting a ton of EMI, but I quickly discovered that it was simply the slew of iron I was detecting in.

It did pretty well for it's first trip. The cross is made of lead, and was in the midst of the iron, but the target that most amazed me was the No. 26 Phoenix cuff button. It was a squeaker that came out of thick iron that was about 6-7" deep, and it was on edge. I got a fairly repeatable signal that was just begging to be dug, but it was mostly iron signals, with this button peeping through and with the iron audio set low it allowed the signal to be clearly heard. I wish I'd taken a before and after photo of the button, because it was so crudded up that we thought it was just a flat button, but I decided to try to clean off some of the crud and I could start to make out lettering around the parameter of the button. After several soaks in ezest and picking the crud off with toothpicks, the button started to come back to life. You can still see iron rust lines on the front where it was next to nails, but it's clean enough now that you can fully read it and see that it's a No. 26 Phoenix button (number 11 for me).

Also got a large flat button, a pistol ball, and some trash. The group of three nails with the large square nail were in a hole that I had Tom check and he felt there was nothing but iron, but I was getting a decent dig me signal. After getting the nails out I found a piece of melted camp lead that was the signal.

My detecting buddy is a die hard Explorer2 user (and he does very well, even in iron infested sites amazingly) and we flagged a lot of targets to check. I was able to find a few that he couldn't hear, and everything he flagged not only could I hear just fine, a couple of them I called as crap targets, and sure enough when he dug the hole there was nothing there, so hopefully that will reduce digging some trash in the future.

Also wanted to do a shout out to Craig of Show Me Treasure. I pre-ordered a R2, and he went out of his way to get the unit to me before the weekend as I had a detecting window and he delivered! When I opened the unit, it quickly became clear that the detector had been used. After some checkingh around, it turned out to be no fault of Craigs at all, the manufacturer had inadvertently mixed some field test units in with the new ones when they shipped them to the disty and when it was brought to their attention, Makro stepped up and made everything right. You cannot go wrong ordering a machine from Craig, and as always Makro stands behind their business with integrity and is quick to own and resolve any mistakes. Thanks to Craig and Makro I'm excited to see what the R2 can do in the future.

HH,
Brian
Re: First trip out with the Makro Racer2 and a dealer shout out!
March 22, 2016 03:27AM
AWESOME DIGS!!

CONGRATS ON THE BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE THE CROSS!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 22, 2016 10:58AM
Impressive...out of a sea of iron and squeezed out site, good deal Brian.
March 22, 2016 11:12AM
Great first run with the R2! I know you guys love finding those Phoenix buttons. Gotta be a lot more good stuff hiding down in the iron at that site just waiting for the R2 to sniff out.

Congrats
Tom
March 22, 2016 11:48AM
VERY nice finds! Good job!
Are there any Phoenix buttons in the East? (it could happen).

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 22, 2016 01:35PM
Very nice finds.
March 22, 2016 02:16PM
Very nice finds. I ordered my Racer 2 this morning. I don't have a dirt detector right now and I decided to take the plunge on a Racer 2. I have some iron patches for it.
March 22, 2016 03:37PM
Yeah the racer is a great machine no matter which one you have..nice finds

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 22, 2016 04:03PM
Very nice location you have real old finds.

Curantly own a Mirage P.I made by sven , and a silver Umax with ground balance mode, and a Tesoro Tejon
March 22, 2016 08:53PM
Thanks everyone! I think the R2 is going to be a winner.

Wayne there have been Phoenix buttons found on the east coast, with a couple of sites producing a small quantity. The seemed to have followed the fur trading routes, so if there's any fur trading posts in your area, they could well be found there. On the west coast they're found at old sites that date to the early 1800's to about the 1830's, but not at sites newer. Out here they followed the fur traders and mission and Spanish outposts and were traded with the Indians, and likely used as coinage.

HH,
Brian

ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VERY nice finds! Good job!
> Are there any Phoenix buttons in the East? (it
> could happen).
March 23, 2016 01:57AM
Brian,

A nice report for an interesting evaluation trip and some nice success to boot!

The Makro Racer 2 is most definitely one of the best detectors available in the market today as an all-purpose model. We have a stormy weather day, but Oregon Gregg & I are headed back out to the closes ghost town to me first thing tomorrow ... again. We've made four trips out there so far this past month or so, and I was only skunked on one trip. I always have several Makro & Nokta models along with me, but have mainly been working the FORS Relic and Racer 2 with their smaller coils in the dense iron debris. I do have one unit with the 7X11 for very open/sparse-target hunting, and a couple with a 5½X10 equipped models for modest-trash areas. Most of where I hunt (as you know from the Welcome -to-Hunt Outing sites) tend to be ugly-nasty dense iron trashed places, so small coils rule!

The Racer (original) is a very good performing detector, to be sure, but doesn't balance very well with the original 7X11 coil. The Makro Gold Racer and new Racer 2, however, have a much improved balance with the better 'S' rod design, and the new 7X11 DD coil (an almost duplicate size/design of the Nokta series) feels much better for open-area hunting. I have the original 'OOR' coil, but also the new 5½" coil (it measures over 5" and close to 5½" with the thin coil cover), and both are what I use the most.

In the very trashy, iron-filled sites I prefer the 3-Tone audio, but in more open, sparser-target areas I favor the 2-Tone mode and in clean urban parks I occasionally use the 'DEEP' mode. You had very good success, but I didn't see the search mode and settings you used, or the search coil. Care to share that info with me and others?

Best of success on your next trip, and I hope to see you on the WTHO in two months.

Monte

PS: The Makro/Nokta folks are excellent at handling consumer concerns! thumbs down
March 23, 2016 02:29AM
The racer 1 or 2 should keep the computation scratching their heads wondering what they can do to catch upconfused smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 23, 2016 05:12AM
Hi Monte,

I used the new 11" DD coil and I really like it compared to the original Racer 11" DD, seems more stable (no falsing when hitting bumps, rocks, etc), with better separation. I meant to try the OOR coil on the R2, but just didn't get to it on this trip, even though it is very iron infested. It would be interesting to go over the same site again (it's not that large) with the OOR coil and see if it can detect anything the larger coils have missed.

I used 3 tone audio at 90 gain, ID filter 2, left the tone break and tone audio at defaults, with the iron audio set to 2. Interestingly when I tested out the iron audio at home, I didn't get a lot of difference in the iron audio volume until I dropped it way down, 2 was perfect as I could still hear the iron just fine, it really let non-ferrous conductors shine through the iron, without the repetitive audio tones becoming fatiguing. I tried to mimic the settings I typically use with good success on the R1, except for the iron audio as to not throw too many variables into the equation until I got a good feel for the detector.

I have a good old site to test the deep mode on next month when I'm near it, I might try it with the 15.5" DD coil, that might be a great combination for those deeper targets as being a heavier coil I tend to swing it slower anyhow.

I really wish I could make the WTHO trip, but I recently accepted a new position as a Systems Engineer at a cyber-security company so I'm unable to take PTO for a while (dang jobs!). I hope to be able to make the September one though if you do it!

HH,
Brian

Monte Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brian,
>
> A nice report for an interesting evaluation trip
> and some nice success to boot!
>
> The Makro Racer 2 is most definitely one of the
> best detectors available in the market today as an
> all-purpose model. We have a stormy weather day,
> but Oregon Gregg & I are headed back out to the
> closes ghost town to me first thing tomorrow ...
> again. We've made four trips out there so far
> this past month or so, and I was only skunked on
> one trip. I always have several Makro & Nokta
> models along with me, but have mainly been working
> the FORS Relic and Racer 2 with their smaller
> coils in the dense iron debris. I do have one
> unit with the 7X11 for very open/sparse-target
> hunting, and a couple with a 5½X10 equipped
> models for modest-trash areas. Most of where I
> hunt (as you know from the Welcome -to-Hunt Outing
> sites) tend to be ugly-nasty dense iron trashed
> places, so small coils rule!
>
> The Racer (original) is a very good performing
> detector, to be sure, but doesn't balance very
> well with the original 7X11 coil. The Makro Gold
> Racer and new Racer 2, however, have a much
> improved balance with the better 'S' rod design,
> and the new 7X11 DD coil (an almost duplicate
> size/design of the Nokta series) feels much better
> for open-area hunting. I have the original 'OOR'
> coil, but also the new 5½" coil (it measures over
> 5" and close to 5½" with the thin coil cover),
> and both are what I use the most.
>
> In the very trashy, iron-filled sites I prefer the
> 3-Tone audio, but in more open, sparser-target
> areas I favor the 2-Tone mode and in clean urban
> parks I occasionally use the 'DEEP' mode. You had
> very good success, but I didn't see the search
> mode and settings you used, or the search coil.
> Care to share that info with me and others?
>
> Best of success on your next trip, and I hope to
> see you on the WTHO in two months.
>
> Monte
>
> PS: The Makro/Nokta folks are excellent at
> handling consumer concerns! thumbs down
March 23, 2016 07:17AM
Also wanted to do a shout out to Craig of Show Me Treasure. I pre-ordered a R2, and he went out of his way to get the unit to me before the weekend as I had a detecting window and he delivered! When I opened the unit, it quickly became clear that the detector had been used. After some checkingh around, it turned out to be no fault of Craigs at all, the manufacturer had inadvertently mixed some field test units in with the new ones when they shipped them to the disty and when it was brought to their attention, Makro stepped up and made everything right. You cannot go wrong ordering a machine from Craig, and as always Makro stands behind their business with integrity and is quick to own and resolve any mistakes. Thanks to Craig and Makro I'm excited to see what the R2 can do in the future. 

HH, 
Brian

I think that dealer customer service is paramount, im still waiting on my pre ordered racer i bought weeks ago from the MDF auction site here in the UK, turns out by the time mine arrives I'd have been quicker buying it off the shelf with free next day delivery, its a long story but i actually had to lodge a paypal dispute to get my dealer to supply the tracking number!! certainly won't be buying from them again, maybe Makro should be more selective who they have as main dealers?
March 23, 2016 12:16PM
Cal_cobra
Hi Monte,

I used the new 11" DD coil and I really like it compared to the original Racer 11" DD, seems more stable (no falsing when hitting bumps, rocks, etc), with better separation. I meant to try the OOR coil on the R2, but just didn't get to it on this trip, even though it is very iron infested. It would be interesting to go over the same site again (it's not that large) with the OOR coil and see if it can detect anything the larger coils have missed.
I am headed out the Phil's Place (name we gave a ghost town) in about 30 minutes, and after I work the small coils ('oor' & 5½) for a while to re-hunt the area we copied each other on Saturday, I might work the 7X11 in a very sparse-target section of the town off to the west to try and find any early-day activity. The new Makro coil is built with the same solid housing and design as the Nokta FORS series and they are rugged!

Cal_cobra
I used 3 tone audio at 90 gain, ID filter 2, left the tone break and tone audio at defaults, with the iron audio set to 2. Interestingly when I tested out the iron audio at home, I didn't get a lot of difference in the iron audio volume until I dropped it way down, 2 was perfect as I could still hear the iron just fine, it really let non-ferrous conductors shine through the iron, without the repetitive audio tones becoming fatiguing. I tried to mimic the settings I typically use with good success on the R1, except for the iron audio as to not throw too many variables into the equation until I got a good feel for the detector.
Thanks for the settings info. My 'turn-on' setting is 3-Tone w/Gain @ '85' and ID Filter @ '03'. I also have the Iron Audio Volume set at '02' on the Racer 2 when using the smaller coils in dense trash, and Tone break is at '10' and '65' in the 3-Tone mode. I reduced it to '65' to allow a better likelihood of early wheat-backs and Indian heads responding with the Higher-Tone. I used 18 old Indian Head and Wheat-Back cents and their 'air test' VDI numeric Target ID read-out ranged from '67' to '72' so I reduced the higher Tone Break in the 3-Tone mode.

Hearing changes in the Iron Audio Volume (IAV) setting can depend upon individual hearing ability and headphones used. In the 'DEEP' mode and in 2-Tone, is I am using the 7X11 for slightly deeper targets, I set the IAV at '03' to hear iron a little better due to my impaired hearing.

Cal_cobra
I have a good old site to test the deep mode on next month when I'm near it, I might try it with the 15.5" DD coil, that might be a great combination for those deeper targets as being a heavier coil I tend to swing it slower anyhow.
I have taken advantage for the 'DDEP' ,mode using the 7X11 coil, and even a few locations with the 5½" DD coil, and it has helped, but the only 13+X15+ DD coil I have is for the Nokta FORS CoRe. I'm interested in how you report of the results with that bigger coil w/DEEP mode compared with the 2-Tone mode on located targets.

Cal_cobra
I really wish I could make the WTHO trip, but I recently accepted a new position as a Systems Engineer at a cyber-security company so I'm unable to take PTO for a while (dang jobs!). I hope to be able to make the September one though if you do it!
Sorry to hear you can't make the WTHO in May.sad smiley If you know of anyone interested in hunting old places on a four day outing, with six or seven old site locations to choose from, and GUARANTEED to challenge them with Iron, have them get a hold of me. As for later this year, yes, there might be a 4th WTHO in September, but I am considering a site or two that would move it to sometime between mid-October and mid-November in a different state.

Matter of fact, if you know of a handy meeting location and 2, 3 or 4 old places to branch out to for a group of folks on an Outing, just e-mail me. Who knows, we might end the year with a WTHO in your state?!?

Monte
March 25, 2016 02:13AM
WTG Brian,

What a way to break in the R2! You earn those, great day!

Congrats!
Paul