Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Your first detecting cool find ??

Posted by Ziggy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your first detecting cool find ??
March 25, 2016 12:08AM
My first was a small hammered coin, never thought I was going to find one after 2-3 months of looking but when I did... the grin was big !

Something as simple as a medieval coin gave me a real lift and sparked a new enthusiasm to keep digging.
Re: Your first detecting cool find ??
March 25, 2016 12:31AM
One that really blew my mind was back in the late 80s or so...

It was a Confederate Enfield .57 Bullet and a Yankee .58 Williams cleaner they were fused together nose to nose..

I dug them off a site that produced for me alone 3000+ bullets...It Was a site that was a fire fight across a creek...for two bullets to fuse like that in the air head on the reign of lead must of been immeasurable..

I had them published in a magazine back then,, Need to see If I can dig the article up sometime and post it up..

Congrats on your hammered coin...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 25, 2016 01:28AM
1887 seated dime that looks like it was just minted. It was under a clay tennis court that was built in the 1890.
Started my first day as a relic hunter yesterday and found a brass wheel bearing cap from a T-model Ford,cool starter find.
Coin hunting is getting tough nowadays around my area.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
March 25, 2016 01:29AM
My first time out with a metal detector was in 1980. I was using a Garrett ADS Groundhog detector. Turned machine on and within a minute I found a 1859 Indian Head. That did it for me, I have been hooked ever since.
March 25, 2016 01:50AM
My first Barber dime I found at an old scnool I was just in awe over it. I carefully went over to the car and put it in safe place. My second one was at an old farm house and was a Seated quarter with a CC mint and I was angry because I put a little scratch on it not digging careful being shallow in the driveway I thought it was nothing.
March 25, 2016 02:19AM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My first Barber dime I found at an old scnool I
> was just in awe over it. I carefully went over to
> the car and put it in safe place. My second one
> was at an old farm house and was a Seated quarter
> with a CC mint and I was angry because I put a
> little scratch on it not digging careful being
> shallow in the driveway I thought it was nothing.

Yea I don't think that sinking gut feeling ever goes away when you think about a oops moment like that.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
March 25, 2016 10:07AM
My first detector with discrimination was the 1236x2. Immediately took it out to a cellar hole I new about at one of the earliest sites in my area and hit an 1877 seated dime in VF condition.
March 25, 2016 01:00PM
I was a member of the Guilford Grays, a member organization in the North-South Skirmish Association. We shot original and repro muskets and carbines as eight man teams at breakable targets such as charcoal briquettes and clay pigeons at 50 yards and 9" ceramic plates at 100 yards while dressed in the uniforms based on the original uniform of the Guilford Grays aka 27th North Carolina, Company B (a company raised in Guilford County, NC). My musket was an original Savage contract Model 1861 Springfield Rifled Musket with a "shooter," ie, modern repro barrel.
Friends on the team were detecting. I ordered a Nautilus, a new detector on the scene at the time, that was getting lots of attention. A friend on the team carried me with him to a trench line near Petersburg and we dug Civil War bullets and eagle buttons! It was that first taste of CW relic hunting that fuels the passion that brought me back to detecting 3 years ago, hungrier than ever for that next minie, round ball, or button.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 25, 2016 02:12PM
My first "good" find was an 1876 Indian Head Cent shortly after getting my first machine, the Teknetics Delta 4000......I feel very fortunate to have started with that machine and feel I learned a good amount rather quickly from it and it's features, that have applied even up until now.
March 25, 2016 02:57PM
WoW! cool beans guys!!

1841 Russian 3 Kopeck found under a 40 pound rock next to a stone wall in the woods of PA....USA. Huge copper coin in excellent shape. Looked up the history of the township and there were 3% Russians living in the area at that time. Way cool.
March 25, 2016 02:58PM
First silver coin which was a beatup barber dime...Still remember the find after 25 years...
March 25, 2016 03:19PM
One of the 1st BEST (or what I thought was best at the time as a 16/17 yr old kid) that I can remember around 1979/80 while using an old Garrett Coin Hunter is my 1st silver 1/2 dollar

was detecting an old church grounds along a sidewalk leading up to the rear entrance and at about the 1/2 way mark in about 3 or 4 inches of dirt = got a loud banging silver/coin tone

out popped a 1948 Ben Franklin 1/2 and I was on cloud nine for days/weeks to come over that one grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 07:26PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
March 25, 2016 03:34PM
Fist time hunting in Marin old railroad depot, years ago found a chest full of jewelry, old silver coins, pocket watches, money! I was hooked and found I always have luck with me when hunting...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 25, 2016 05:34PM
My first cool find was a US boxplate. Very early in my relic hunting days. Three of us, 1 detector, a Nautilus LF. We were all finding bullets. It was my turn to swing and not too long, I asked my brother to be careful digging (we all took turns digging)...it's a buckle. Lo and behold, boxplate!! I still have it although I cleaned it up. Rookie mistake. No more though.
March 25, 2016 06:56PM
An enfield ram rod from where rebels where scrapping with yankee calvary. Hunting with a bounty hunter in no motion all metal as that was the only way to get any depth.
March 25, 2016 07:18PM
For me a pocket knife.
March 25, 2016 08:44PM
Tom

Nice on the 77

Congrats!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 25, 2016 09:59PM
Mine was about three months after I'd gotten my first metal detector. I'd just joined an MD club that was having a seeded hunt at what had been a large lumber mill from the 1870s through the early 1900s. Funny, the admission price wasn't much less than the beginner metal detector I'd bought now that I think about it. Anyway, right before lunch me and an older gentleman who had taken me under his wing went hunting in an area another member had found a dropped three ringer earlier in the day (not in the seeded area). There wasn't much trash, and I got a strong signal that I figured must have been something decent. At about 5" deep I pulled out what I was hoping would be an old coin, but it was shaped similar to a four leafed clover. Turned out to be a 5 cent turf exchange token from a place in Texarkana, Texas that was in business from 1900-1901, and it was in pretty good shape. Some of the club members migrated to that area then lol.

At the time I was a bit disappointed it wasn't an old coin, but after I learned a little more I realized it was quite a bit more rare of a find than a lot of older coins I was hoping to find.
March 26, 2016 07:57AM
I found a pistol in a ravine in the mid 80's with a cheapo detector I bought at a garage sale. Don't remember what make the detector was (maybe an old Garret) but the pistol was a 22 target gun in not that bad of shape considering. Sold it to some guy for around $10 I think. Took breaks from detecting on and off and started getting back into it more maybe 10 years ago.

HH
John
March 26, 2016 08:26AM
Nice to read these post and would love to see the smiles on you faces when you pulled the items, I recall when a friend of mine who is Deaf pulled his first hammered coin from the ground..... I could see his smile a qtr away across the field.
He's always struggled with different vibrating devices and but his first hammered coin popped up with the help of the Makro Racer with the vibrate feature enabled.

I was just over the moon as him and chuffed he found something we all like to find over here.
March 26, 2016 09:34AM
Very cool!
March 26, 2016 03:22PM
I had a Whites blue box detector back in the mid seventies. I was a young kid that had to swing it both arms. My dad and I took it to an old school a town over. We found old coins and plenty of foil because it had no discrimination. Indian heads, V nickels, and Mercs. I was a kid and didn't even know what the coins were. My dad knew. It was probably the best father and son time I ever had with him. He is 87 and his health is failing. But those memories will be around until I'm gone. Without sounding corny as hell my best find was my dad. Best target is probably a ring with rocks found in the wet sand of Cape May NJ. Worth a couple grand. Using a Sovereign XS-2A.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 03:25PM by goodmore.
March 26, 2016 04:26PM
My first non clad coin was a 1918 s dime. I found it with my first detector a XLT at 7.5" on depth meter.Dug down and was shocked to see the little shining disc. that I picked out of the hole and saw the winged liberty. I knew
I had a MERC. Been hooked ever since!
March 26, 2016 04:47PM
One of my neatest finds was an old west saloon token for 12½¢ a one 'bit' token from Great Falls Montana. I found it with a Toltec ll @ about 6 inches deep, it read as a pulltab....lol
March 29, 2016 01:04AM
My very first find in my own yard, back in 1972, was a 1957 silver Washington quarter. Why was it special to me ? I was born in 1957. Been treasure hunting ever since. Mark
March 29, 2016 01:12AM
10kt gold ring and Canadian large cent next to a tree on Toronto's waterfront Island with a lowly BFO made by Dtex when I was 14.
I remember it well, dang sister threw it into the lake. Got really lucky, it landed on some roots on the water's edge right at the drop off to 10 feet deep.
Managed to retrieve it. You can guess I didn't let my sister hold the large cent..................smileys with beer

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 30, 2016 03:54AM
Was using my first real detector, a Cibola, (can't really count the Ace 150) and found both an Indian head penny (1888, I think) and my first musket ball about five minutes apart. My wife was with me and thought I was nuts at being so excited. It's all downhill from there. ..lol.
March 30, 2016 01:17PM
I was 11 in 1978 and my older brother ,he is 13 years older than me, brought over his Heathkit detector and let me use it.. I turned it on slid coil off of sidewalk behind our house and it made noise over a metal object.. I dug it and at about 2 inches deep was a 1840's large cent.. My first find ever and started my addiction.. Needless to say my brother took the detector back and went on to find a lot of silver that day..