Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Some detectors I have used and the performance/feature/mode I liked them for

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Some detectors I have used and the performance/feature/mode I liked them for
December 15, 2010 12:06PM
Fisher 1270, excellent wader, the iron disc circuit at low settings double beeps on nails and gives greatly enhanced response to small low conductors. It will pull low conductive rings out of iron infested waters but ya gotta listen to the iron sounds for anything that sounds even slightly different. Can be mentally fatiguing! Loves big iron which many relic hunters like.

1236X2 similar to the 1270, great in iron and modern trash but more of a beep coming thru in the iron sounds so less fatiguing. Handles big iron with aplomb, you hear it but you know what it is. Excellent response to low conductors given its operating freq. Excellent freq changer for interference purposes carried over from the 1235 (a Dave J developed feature BTW)

ID Edge, what can I say, this is one of a very few multi tone machines out there that can work iron with great results while not having any difficult "analog" language to get used to. If it beeps ya better investigate. Overall performance a couple steps above the 1236X2 . The 5.75 coil will hunt behind the T2 and find stuff! there I said it. On land or in the water I will be so bold as to say that when it comes to seeing targets co-located with iron nails it reigns supreme. Digging up good targets and having multiple iron "spikes" come up at the same time is almost the norm. Forget your nail tests... in the ground with 3-D co-locate is where its at and the Edge does it! No bi-axial DD coil needed! I'd bet there are a lot of hunters out there that have learned this secret and are keeping it to themselves.

Musky Advantage, Deep coin/token getter where the coins and iron are both deep. Larger than stock coils are the key. Unlike other detectors where larger coils mainly offer more coverage big coils on the Muskys give big improvements in depth in almost all types of ground on high conductors. One of the advantages to its 5 Khz op freq I suppose. I still have and will always keep one but it is relegated only to those times where depth on high conductors is needed and where surface blanking by even moderate amounts of iron/trash is not an issue. Performs poorly compared to other machines on mid & low conductive targets in iron infested fresh water condituions, no suprise there.

T2, using the plowed field mode and disc at 21/22 it hits a broad range/size of conductive targets missed by lesser machines. Did not use the other modes for any amount of time as I determined early on pf is where its at for serious iron hunting. Pf mode is kinda like raw unfiltered fast data that lets a tiny peak of a good signal come thru. Forget looking for off angle hits and just dig the repeatable tone of well cetered sweeps and you will do well. Lots of falsing on iron unless the GB is perfect but fortunately resweeping the offending iron gives it away. Goes to show that the 12-13 Khz frequency range is an ideal compromise for all around ability on a wide range of targets. Not much if any analog language, closer to the 1235/1236X2's beep than the newer Teks. With some updating to the audio and improvements in signal processing combined with the plowed field modes type of filtering I would not hesitate on getting one.

Understanding that what is important to me may be very different than what other folks look for in a detector thats my take on a few that I have used. Maybe a couple more down the road if you like?

I'll toss in the ID Excel while I'm thinking about it. Everything the Tesoro Compadre will do and more. A perfect example of what a combination of good disc ability and lower power can accomplish.

Tom Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 12:17PM by Jackpine.
Re: Some detectors I have used and the performance/feature/mode I liked them for
December 16, 2010 01:10AM
Good/interesting report.
Re: Some detectors I have used and the performance/feature/mode I liked them for
December 16, 2010 01:36AM
Thanks Tom, interesting reading. I will look closer at the PF mode in the future and if I see a good deal on an ID Edge i'll try one on your recommendation, I work in iron a lot...

Thanks again... good stuff!

J
December 16, 2010 03:39AM
Very interesting report Tom.----Prompts me to take (another) look at the ID Edge!--------Del
Good write up Jackpine!! Your finding's almost mimic
December 16, 2010 07:21AM
what I have seen from the same machine's....

yes all the nail trick test and fast shutdown demonstration's don't work on the 1236 or Edge but they will run with the big boy's and even hunt behind the big boy's in tricky iron...

1236 still my favorite Fisher for trash Hunting...

Alway's wished the Edge would of had some kind of ground monitor on............ it in my dirt...It work's fine but always have to rely on just a push button and a beep to let you know you are ground balanced but that's a small complaint...

Good post Jackpine..just because they are retired dont mean they are useless...

Keith
Almost forgot the I.D. Edge got me this hard won trophy
December 16, 2010 07:34AM
I have shown it around a few times but I am proud of it......

It took me a quarter of a century to get one.....

it was always in the back of my mind and the feeling is hard to describe when you finally pull one in a nice secluded deep wood's house site...

always wanted to go back and see if anymore are there

Keith

Re: Almost forgot the I.D. Edge got me this hard won trophy
December 17, 2010 09:34PM
In my 39 years of hunting..... I have never found one of these.
December 17, 2010 10:02PM
There is still hope, Tom. I have been at it almost 39 years myself and I just got my first one in early 09 with the F 75. HH jim tn
Re: Almost forgot the I.D. Edge got me this hard won trophy
December 18, 2010 12:13AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have shown it around a few times but I am proud
> of it......
>
> It took me a quarter of a century to get one.....
>
> it was always in the back of my mind and the
> feeling is hard to describe when you finally pull
> one in a nice secluded deep wood's house site...
>
> always wanted to go back and see if anymore are
> there
>
> Keith
>
Nice one Keith,

A CZ-5 got my only one. Except for the year it could pass as yours condition wise. Found it at an old fairgrounds that was being renovated into soccer fields along with a lot more old silver and IH's.

Sure hope I have the opportunity to find another site like that again!

Tom Z