Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

3/27/16 Racer/Racer 2 rc40 coil review

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
3/27/16 Racer/Racer 2 rc40 coil review
March 27, 2016 03:06PM
I had a chance to use the HUGE 15.5x13 rc40 coil for the Racer/Racer 2. The park I used it on has mostly targets that are out of range. Targets on the surface, are few and far between. Settings used were various modes(2tone 3tone deep) 90+ gain, and the mineral content was at around 60. and various discrimination. Ratings Poor, average, great, and exceptional.

Physicality(poor):
Due to the location of the coil ears located toward the rear of the coil, it definitely made the machine feel unbalanced and extremely heavy. This may be corrected if the ears were located toward the middle of the coil. I would recommend you use a harness if you are going to be swinging it for more than an hour.

Ground coverage(exceptional):
The ground coverage is simply amazing. You can cover large areas much more quickly then the stock coil.

Pinpointing(great):
After only a few tries, i was able to pinpoint just as well as the stock coil. Very accurate.

Depth(great):
I gave this category a "great" because I didn't have a lot of time to dig targets. The area literally came alive with targets. Normally in that area, it's quiet except for the iron. There were a few targets that were so deep, I gave up on digging them. I pinpointed a lot of targets seeing depths read 11, 12, and even 13 inches on the depth meter. TID range is extended with this coil. Deep targets sound good, and TID is jumpy(which is normal on deep targets).

Comments:
While swinging over a particular target in deep mode, I got a nice, loud crispy hit with a jumpy TID ranging from 20s-50s and all numbers in-between. I switched in all modes and was able to still get the target easily. I was able to pinpoint the target giving a meter reading 9 inches. I dug down seven inches and found the remains of a very early good quality plastic comb(1960s). I dug a few more inches(about 10 total) and got a 1955 wheat penny in good shape. I was surprised at this because, I can almost guarantee that no one has found a wheat penny there in years.

Overall:
I highly recommend this coil. Use it in low target density areas. This coil is great for cleaning deep targets out of an area. Coil will fatigue most hunters, however, a harness can be used if needed to compensate.

Side note:

This coil will easily dominate the CTX 17" coil.
Re: 3/27/16 Racer/Racer 2 rc40 coil review
March 27, 2016 04:53PM
Thanks for the review, I've been thinking about a larger coil, what was the mineral reading on the racer in that ground?
March 27, 2016 05:52PM
March 28, 2016 07:20AM
Im getting 3-4 bars on my ground 68-72 ground balance, i can run it max gain 99 no problem, getting 6-7 inch on average size test coin?
Im wondering if a larger coil would be any benefit in my soil?
March 28, 2016 09:26AM
I had this coil for the original Racer. It was as you say poor in the balance department. In the area I hunted it was also a problem with overloads. If you can find that certain area clear of surface targets the coil does give you the chance to hit some targets deeper. I thought of it as a beach coil since the Racer and Racer two do quite well there for single frequency detectors.
March 28, 2016 05:44PM
I had a few overloads, but not a lot of them.
March 28, 2016 11:01PM
Beyonder, accurate post. Awesome coil.
March 28, 2016 11:45PM
"Beyonder, accurate post. Awesome coil. "

Thanks!
March 29, 2016 12:50AM
Here's my review on the RC40 on the original Racer:

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

I used it to detect a pounded plowed field near an old Spanish settlement and aside from it being a bit heavy (what 15.5" coil isn't?) I was impressed with it's performance. It nailed a Phoenix cuff button, flat button, a nice trade relic, and lots of old green mission era copper. Looking forward to testing it on the Racer2 in DEEP mode!

HH,
Brian