Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer2 Coin hunter detector or relic

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer2 Coin hunter detector or relic
March 30, 2016 09:43AM
Seems like the r2 is more for relic hunting from what I can find to read. Toooo bad they do not concentrate on a coinunit. We all do not relic hunt. Some just coin hunt...Sad the e trac is so darn heavy as probably none can beat them (minelab) for deep silver coins. Maybe and I said maybe the IMPACT. but not holding my breath
Re: Racer2 Coin hunter detector or relic
March 30, 2016 10:49AM
I've 3 short outings with my R2 in an area i avoided with my etrac as it was too trashy, 6 coins 3 of which were silver.
I really like the R2 so far. My soil was giving 3-4 bars on the scale but i could run max sensitivity, though on a test coin i maxed out at low 6 or so inches and after 3-4 inch the tid was all over the place, it would never follow an etrac on clean ground with the standard coil in my soil, maybe a bigger coil would give more depth?
And on a niggle list, the cam lock doesn't tighten enough on the lower limb so the coil moves a little side to side and the makro pointer i got with it switches off if you hold it upside down as the battery probably loses contact.
The iron volume is a big plus, its light, the backlight and screen are tremendous compared to the etrac, however (at the moment, but it might change when i try a bigger coil) i would sell it in a heartbeat and have another etrac as it hits deeper and gives the user more useful info in my soil.
oh and it loves coke/coal, it does give a messy signal on it but it also gave a messy signal on 2 of the coins i got!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 11:11AM by ghound.
Racer 2 is both a Coin Hunter and Relic Hunter unit.
March 30, 2016 04:03PM
I guess a lot of that decision is based upon what an individual defines "Relic Hunting" and "Coin Hunting" as. To me, all of my Makro and Nokta detector models serve me well for BOTH recreational needs, but as I am about to head out now at dawn, I am using my two favorites, my Nokta FORS Relic and Makro Racer 2.

sonny(ON)
Seems like the r2 is more for relic hunting from what I can find to read. Toooo bad they do not concentrate on a coinunit.
Folks like Keith Southern live in the SE USA where they have the enjoyment and opportunity to 'Relic Hunt' a lot of Civil War era battle sites. I think a lot of folks think of that type of a location when they use the term 'Relic Hunting', but I don't. Relic Hunters search for ANY item they consider to be a 'keeper' that represents a desired lost object from past human activity there, such as lead bullets, brass/copper cartridge cases, complete cartridges, spurs, bridal bits and other similar hardware where there was mounted cavalry action, and many other things associated with battle activity.

Lost buckles, uniform insignia, weapons or pieces of them, jewelry items, and certainly more personal items a soldier might have had in their pockets, such as harmonica reeds, pocket knives, keys, and ... Oh, let's not forget the occasional COIN that might have been lost in the battle. No, it doesn't make them a Coin Hunter, but it is an old dated object associated with man's activity in that type of 'Relic Hunting' location. And when hunting those kinds of places (old Revolutionary or Civil War era sites) a Makro Racer or Racer 2, or a Nokta FORS CoRe. FORS Gold + or the new FORS Relic will often be grabbed because they ARE excellent performers in those types of environments.

Just what 'type' of environment is a 'Relic Hunter' often obliged to deal with? Well, they often have a lot of non-ferrous trash, but they also encounter a good deal of ferrous-based discards, such as nails from burned-out structures or discarded from opening crates of supplies, etc. If they are not finding any rusty tin in many of their chosen locations, they might be missing out on some great potential because there was a lot of discarded tin to deal with.

I don't live in the SE USA, but I have been over on that side of the country a few times and got some detecting in, and I used the same 'Relic Hunting' TECHNIQUES as I employ where I live, 'Out West' in Eastern Oregon not too far from the Idaho border. And where I am headed out to today? An old farming and ranching ghost town where I am going to deal with a lot of discarded iron such as rusty tin, nails that were discarded from opening crates near freighting areas, and an ample amount of nails, tin and other metals from torn-down or burned-down structures (houses, stores, barns, sheds, etc.), and I can guarantee you that many of the old town sites I hunt 'out west' have more challenging and annoying junk to deal with that masks good targets than many folks encounter in the battle-site hunting.

I have made six trips out to this one particular town so far this year with a good hunting buddy, Oregon Gregg, and/or my oldest son, Monte Jr., and thanks to me using both excellent detectors and 'Relic Hunting' techniques, because we are also dealing with a lot of junk. Not your urban 'Coin Hunting' junk like foil, pull tabs and screw caps, but we are using the Racer 2's and OG his FORS CoRe and me the FORS Relic just like Keith and other avid 'Relic Hunters' ..... and that is setting them up to hear more targets (ferrous trash) and make use of the Iron Volume (on the Racer 2 and FORS relic) to help us unmask favorable targets we are after.

For Keith and other battle-site 'Relic Hunters' they hope to find good military related artifacts, etc., and are likely to with a good site and using 'Relic Hunting' Techniques. Folks up in the NE, for example, might get out hunting old cellar holes and plowed fields and around old inns or stage stations or ferry landings, and I presume they are also using more 'Relic Hunting' Techniques to make their desired finds.

I also don't doubt that the more avid searchers in the plowed fields in Europe will also benefit from using 'Relic Hunting' Techniques to help locate ferrous and non-ferrous targets and try to unmask the centuries-old coins and artifacts that they are after. Well, Mont Jr., Oregon Gregg and I are also putting 'Relic Hunting' Techniques to good use in our efforts to find the favorable targets we are after, and those are primarily Old Coins and old Trade Tokens. To some folks, they might consider us to be 'Coin Hunting,' and in a way we are as that's what we are after ... but we do find a LOT of non-coin artifacts on our adventures afield.

And we do our Old Coin and Trade Token Hunting in densely littered old sites that require an approach different from what most Urban 'Coin Hunters' seem to prefer ..... but we use these same excellent, multi-purpose detectors to enjoy our successes afield, it's just that we use different search modes or settings or search coils because we employ 'Relic Hunting' Techniques with them.

sonny(ON)
We all do not relic hunt. Some just coin hunt...Sad the e trac is so darn heavy as probably none can beat them (minelab) for deep silver coins. Maybe and I said maybe the IMPACT. but not holding my breath
You are correct, we do not all 'Relic Hunt' but that is really a matter of site selection and techniques to best handle dense iron and unmasked difficult-to-find targets.

I have 'Relic Hunted' since May 4th of 1969 when I worked my first, and favorite, ghost town ... and this has helped me learn to use different search Techniques. But I have been 'Coin Hunting' since I got started in March of '65, and I continue to Coin Hunt to this day. But Coin Hunting is also more of a description of site selection and then some like to use different Settings and Techniques.

Most 'Coin Hunting' is what I refer to as 'Traditional Coin Hunting' or 'Urban Coin Hunting' where the typical hobbyist spends an ample amount of time searching grassy parks, schools, sports fields, yards, parking strips, and occasionally hunts vacant lots, renovation work or building tear-down sites. Now I have known many 'hobbyists' who 'Coin Hunt' who will not dare work building tear-downs or some renovation work or many vacant lots where old structures stood long ago. Why not? Because the trash level, especially iron debris, isn't what they are used to and not what they want to deal with. Instead, they like to use more 'tradition' settings for Coin Hunting their cities and towns.

For most 'Coin Hunters' the Racer 2, FORS CoRe and FORS Relic offer both the 2-Tone search modes and 3-Tone, with the 3-Tone being a mode that most 'city-shooters' seem top prefer. I know I use the 3-Tone mode most of the time when I am 'Coin Hunting' typical locations, even though I use less Discrimination than many 'hobbyists' choose. Most 'Coin Hunting' Hobbyists will make use of ample Discrimination to reject ALL iron range targets, and some even like to reject very small, lower-conductive foil.

The Makro Racer 2 is especially well equipped to satisfy many determined 'Coin Hunters' since it includes a Notch Filter (Notch Discrimination) setting to help them reject different TID ranges where many mid-conductive trash targets often read-out. The Racer 2 and FORS Relic also offer Tone Break to help fine-tine some of the search mode to fit a users needs.

I still have my all-time favorite three Tesoro models in my personal arsenal, but I have gotten rid of all the other brands of detectors I had in the last 14 months because the Makro Racer series and Nokta FORS series models are providing ME the level of adjustments to be 'functional' and end 'performance' to match or batter other detector I owned or have had in recent years. Better yet, they are 'simple' to get set up and into action, and they are durable and well balanced for day-long searches.

Oh, here's another thought. The Racer 2 and FORS Relic are newer on the market, being announced since I think about February 10th. many people still have, or have had, wintry or wet spring weather to get out hunting much, and I think many 'Coin Hunters' are more fair-weather' hobbyists' than some of the 'avid Relic Hunter' group. I know that was some of our problem around here as we had snow come and go around the time I received the Racer 2 and FORS Relic prototype units and all of the ghost towns I like to hunt around here were snowed in and inaccessible, and the ground was frozen in most places.

I did put in a good deal of 'Coin Hunting' especially with the Racer 2, because they needed quicker responses to get it ready and released. Unfortunately, I couldn't post comments about the Racer 2 and the 'Coin Hunting' I was doing with it, and the FORS Relic proto, I can tell you NOW, however, that both models worked quite well, and I actually prefer the Racer 2 for most 'Urban Coin Hunting' I do. The site I used to 'Coin Hunt' was out of public view at a park and school since I had the unannounced Racer 2 in-hand, so I looked for coins in an old POW Camp location that was used for a while later as a park.

I also worked a CCC Camp that was later a POW Camp, and the result of those searches to evaluate the Racer 2 and FORS Relic I filled the first page in my 2016 Binder with old Wheat-back cents, a 1944 silver quarter and have continued to add Indian Head cents, Barber Dimes, a half-dozen Trade Tokens and some nice artifacts to my display of annual finds. Yes, modern 'flash money' has also come my way from 'Coin Hunting' local parks and schools, but it will take another month or two for outdoor activity to increase and weather to improve for me to find more to add to my jars of modern coinage .... all by 'Coin Hunting' with the Racer 2, FORS Relic and other preferred models from them.

Oh, as for the e-trac and other Minelab models, I have owned quite a few FBS and BBS units in years past, but they are uncomfortable and not really a nice 'fit; for me and the types of sites I like to hunt. Besides, I have used other brands and models that served me fine for some deeper located coin targets than the Minelab's, and in the past fourteen months of working different FORS and Racer series models hunting with some friends who have, or had, different Minelab's, I had very favorable performance from them. A couple of former Minelab owners now have a FORS CoRe, a Racer 2, and one plans to get a FORS Relic.

A year ago I was working the FORS CoRe with the stock 7X11 DD coil and was pulling quarters from 9" at a park, and I also found a few 6" and 7" dimes as well. Good clean signals, and two of the coins an SE Pro didn't respond to. Trust me, these new detectors were designed as serious 'multi-purpose' detectors, and that means that can, and DO, perform very well for Coin Hunting applications.

ghound
I've 3 short outings with my R2 in an area i avoided with my etrac as it was too trashy, 6 coins 3 of which were silver.
Congrats! I enjoy working the Racer 2 and FORS Relic in some very challenging sites where many/most competitor's detectors don't work so well.

ghound
I really like the R2 so far. My soil was giving 3-4 bars on the scale but i could run max sensitivity, though on a test coin i maxed out at low 6 or so inches and after 3-4 inch the tid was all over the place, it would never follow an etrac on clean ground with the standard coil in my soil, maybe a bigger coil would give more depth?
I love the Racer 2, and most of the places I hunt so far this year are producing 4 bars on the ferrous read-out. I have most of my programs saves with a Gain of '85' and have been finding a lot of good targets. Most of them are relatively shallow, at 4" or less but in amongst ferrous trash. Places where most FBS models won't match their performance.

As for deeper targets, most of the ground where I have been hunting has ranges in the '74' to '85+' Ground Phase read-out, but I have pulled coins to 8" and most in the 6" to 8" range gave very good audio and visual TID responses, if not close to any masking objects. I have used the 'OOR' coil on the Racer 2 prototype and the new 5½" round DD coil and pulled coins with good audio and visual read-outs at 6", and have used a 5½X10 and 7X11 on the FORS Relic and new 7X11 DD on the Racer 2 and had clean hits on a friends 'test bed' penny 8" below the coil center axis with no problem.

ghound
And on a niggle list, the cam lock doesn't tighten enough on the lower limb so the coil moves a little side to side and the makro pointer i got with it switches off if you hold it upside down as the battery probably loses contact.
I use both a Makro Pointer and a Nokta Pointer and have never had any problems. I do know some batteries I have had in the past were a tad bit shorter and such a case could allow movement to disrupt contact. I have also seen some that were a bit too wide or long or thick and they created problems with some detector models as they wouldn't fit in the battery compartment or could, but would bind. But I haven't had an issue with any of the quality batteries I have used in my Pinpointers..

ghound
The iron volume is a big plus, its light, the backlight and screen are tremendous compared to the etrac, however (at the moment, but it might change when i try a bigger coil) i would sell it in a heartbeat and have another etrac as it hits deeper and gives the user more useful info in my soil.
Hummm ... don't know what to say except the Iron Audio Volume is a great addition to the Racer 2 and Relic, and I am not bothered at all about putting my units to work up against any Minelab or other competitive models. No, there is no 'perfect' detector, but I have enjoyed the fact that the Nokta/Makro Team is doing all they can to provide us with some of the closest-to-perfect detectors to chose from.

ghound
oh and it loves coke/coal, it does give a messy signal on it but it also gave a messy signal on 2 of the coins i got!!
Coke/coal can be a challenge for many detectors unless the settings are adjusted to reject them or deal with them as best we can. I have a few 'coke' specimens in by seminar tote that I use when I evaluate any detector and I haven't found one yet that ignores them while still operating with a very low rejection setting. They are what they are, just like pull tabs ... an annoyance.

Okay, I'll stop my rambling as I am now two hours behind getting out-of-town to go use my FORS Relic and Racer 2 to find stuff! I hope others have a nice day to go enjoy some fresh air and try to unearth a keeper or two. I'm in the mood for another silver coin or two to come my way. thumbs down

Monte
March 30, 2016 04:12PM
The R2 can certainly do either, with the new adjustments you can set it up for relic hunting in thick iron, or as a coin shooter for turf hunting.

-Brian
March 30, 2016 04:19PM
True coin units have 4 requirements: great discrimination options, multiple tones, accurate ID, and ID at depth. Racer 2 is definitely a better relic dig all non-ferrous unit. IMO Now just combine the R2 for the first 2 items with F19/G2+ for second two items and you have a winner in the single frequency market. The omega 8000 is probably the best single freq coin shooter I've used as it hits all 4 requirements. The 8500 lost some of that magic with decline of the later 2 requirements. Minelab FBS units are just in a league of their own for coins.
Re: Racer 2 is both a Coin Hunter and Relic Hunter unit.
March 30, 2016 04:29PM
In my personal opinion and that is all this is: a detector that discriminates very well is a coin hunter. The problem is the technology isn't there to keep the targets from blending the numbers together when a good target is beside trash or iron. So what you have is a detector keeping silent on bad numbers/ good targets. If you want to be successful in coin hunting you need to dig the junk. That is reallity. I await the detector that only beeps on coins. I have beautiful yards where every hole counts. But because of Makro and a few others the real leap in technology has been in unmasking. Take advantage of it.
March 30, 2016 04:41PM
Yes Monte it's a very good unit and if you have good ground you'll get good depth, but in my 3-4 bar soil its depth and Tid is very average, 5 to 7 inch on most coins I've tested, deep mode does help clean up the iffy signals though, but in my eyes it's not the magic wand many claim.
Just a point on video tests, if you watch the 'Metal detecting forum' video of the deep mode on youtube, you can see amazing depths, but near the end you get a glimpse of his screen as he sweeps the coil and it's reading 0 on the mineral scale! now to have ground like that lol
March 30, 2016 05:22PM
ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes Monte it's a very good unit and if you have
> good ground you'll get good depth, but in my 3-4
> bar soil its depth and Tid is very average, 5 to 7
> inch on most coins I've tested, deep mode does
> help clean up the iffy signals though, but in my
> eyes it's not the magic wand many claim.
> Just a point on video tests, if you watch the
> 'Metal detecting forum' video of the deep mode on
> youtube, you can see amazing depths, but near the
> end you get a glimpse of his screen as he sweeps
> the coil and it's reading 0 on the mineral scale!
> now to have ground like that lol

No wondering why you have such high mineral dirt, you are from "IronLand"smiling smiley
March 30, 2016 05:23PM
Lately I've been reading a fair amount of people asking and requesting Nokta/Makro for a lower frequency coin hunter......so far they have produced on what most have asked for....that being said I'm sure they are paying attention and who knows...maybe one is already in the works or being brainstormed as we speak...
March 30, 2016 05:32PM
The R2 is a Coin unit from the company and that was their aim when they built it..

Its also a relic unit and a Je Unit and and can even be a Prospecting unit ..

It's on 14Khz,, but a lot of COIN plus cross use units combined are now on those Mid Freq's and have been for a while now.....T2,F75,Mxt,At-Pro,Thats seem to be the teetering point to still hit High Coins but also handle Trash and it also offers appeal to More Types of Hunters...

The FR is the relic unit but can pull double duty as a coins unit...BUT the 19Khz is not best used for Trashy aluminum sites where most coins hunters like to go..The Freq coupled with Extreme gain can give a lot of DIG me Hits on the stuff a COIN hunter does not want to dig...

Montes right there's so many terms thrown around Relic,Coin,Je,Prospecting.

And most all machines can Coin hunt and relic hunt and Je hunt ...Just some are more adaptive than others.Take the F75...COin hunters like it...its a Great Coins unit...but its also a Great relic hunter,,and Je hunter..13Khz..

They wanted to aim for the American coin Hunter/Shooter with his Unit and they added features really a RELIC hunter does not require..

The reason you See relic hunters Liking the R1 was the ability to unlock nonferrous from ferrous in dense iron on a World Class level..It does that in the Coin ranges too through Audio Nuances and accurate I.D's ,,,Round sounds round trash sounds Well, like trash.....The R2 has expanded on this with ability to slide tone breaks and also Notch in and out desired or undesired targets..

It has actually got some of the best Trash handling going right now in a VLF through Audio Nuance and precise single digit notching..couple that together and there's no reason Coins cant be found in modern trash.That clipped gate audio machines and broad notch machines are leaving behind..

The Etrac is a Deep silver getter for sure...And that's the Main thing everyone gravitates to it for...It not exactly a Multi Use type unit..Its not Hot Je or Very selective in Iron sizing for relics or even Unmasking to the degree were at nowadays..

Maybe they will make a 7Khz Racer one day ...Like FTP has done with the Omega...Just for Deep silver getter,..It may not appeal to the masses as much as the R2 but it could be a Niche unit for sure..about lIke the Omega ...I'll bet its not caught like the F75 in sales..

Yet these Middle Of the road Freqs have gotten so good at doing it all a True Niche machine is harder to create..

We have the FR Now and its a Great relics Unit...
BUT unless you really want to put it to use the R2 may all the casual to advanced relic hunter will ever need..But it's there if we the Purist want's it.

A Low Freq Racer would be a Niche Silver Getter ..But the R2 to the casual to advanced Silver seeker should suffice..IF a 7khz racer is ever built it would be the Pursuit who would gravitate to it..

There's coin hunters that dig a lot of silver day in day out in trashy environs and then there's DEEP silver hunters they stay away from trash to get the Depth..And look for machines that give a slight edge on deep silver ....Just like a relic hunter lurking in iron trying to unmask goodies looks for slight edges to outdo the competition ..

Deep silver digging is a skill and 10% of the people dig 90% of that deep silver foun

Deep relic diggin is a skill and 10% dig 90% of them deep relics found

Unmasking in iron for relics is a skill and 10% Dig 90% of those masked relics found

Prospecting same

Je same..

those 10 percent will seek out the best tools..For the edge...

But Ill assure you the R2 is as much of a coin hunter as the F75 or the At-Pro or the MXt..And also can have edges in that it has state of the art audio ..

If the ever build say 7 khz deeep silver slayer form Nokta it would be a useful tool for some and other would not need/Like it..that 10% would give it ago for sure..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 30, 2016 05:43PM
Lol Hombre, we call it Norn Ireland !
March 30, 2016 05:45PM
Who knows but it might only take a few tweaks to the code to clean up ID's on the Makro/Nokta machines, especially if running at a more ideal frequency for US coinage.

Tom
March 30, 2016 05:55PM
Keith, you can have the best detector in the world at separation/unmasking etc etc and if your targets are 5-8 inch in 3-4 bar soil then you would be well pleased with the racer, but if your looking small targets/coins that have been under the ground for several hundred years and your detector can't get down to the targets to do it's job.......
Im going to try a larger coil on my Racer2 to see if i can get more than the current 5-8 inch in my soil because there's a lot i like about the detector and i feel i need to give it every chance.
March 30, 2016 06:15PM
Spaceport Wrote:
> Lately I've been reading a fair amount of people
> asking and requesting Nokta/Makro for a lower
> frequency coin hunter......so far they have
> produced on what most have asked for....that being
> said I'm sure they are paying attention and who
> knows...maybe one is already in the works or being
> brainstormed as we speak...

the problem with lower frequency is susceptibility to EMI if you want any kind of depth. Kudos for First Texas adding Deep 2 and 3 option to the Omega 8500 to let it get good depth in high EMI now instead of only out in a field. BUT the ID is no longer tight. You pretty much only get accuracy on tones and only 3 at that. Which is fine if only looking for deep high conductors but nickel ID is completely lost past 5-6".
March 30, 2016 06:24PM
Great explanation Kieth and good timing for a recent self discovery..
I am a big Makro fan.
I bought the first run Racer, Gold Racer and now the Racer 2..
This last year is when I started taking detecting serious for the first time.
Besides some occasional nugget hunting, the type of detecting that gets me excited is old coin hunting and
more specifically silver coins.
For the last 6 months I have primarily ran a CTX for old park hunting.
When my Racer 2 arrived I was impressed with its speed, audio and it's ability to pull good stuff out of trash.
But what I also realized is that I hate that type of hunting.
I'm a deep silver hunter and I have not found a detector yet that can match my Minelab for pulling deep silver
out of the parks. I can't just dig holes everywhere when hunting historical parks and yards.
The ability of the CTX to ID coins at depth is unmatched as far as I know by any other detector.
Anyway before I ramble on much further I will say that I have a new condition Makro Racer 2 for sale and to the right person
It will be a fantastic machine to have. It will find coins and other goodies my CTX will miss but It just doesn't fit my hunting style.
If your in the market for an R2 and you want to save yourself over $100 here is my add. [www.treasureclassifieds.com]
I also have the RC40 coil for sale that works great on the R2. Wish the CTX had a coil exactly this size. I like it better than the 17".
Bryan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 06:54PM by Cabin Fever.
March 30, 2016 06:25PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Spaceport Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Lately I've been reading a fair amount of
> people
> > asking and requesting Nokta/Makro for a lower
> > frequency coin hunter......so far they have
> > produced on what most have asked for....that
> being
> > said I'm sure they are paying attention and
> who
> > knows...maybe one is already in the works or
> being
> > brainstormed as we speak...
>
>
> the problem with lower frequency is susceptibility
> to EMI if you want any kind of depth. Kudos for
> First Texas adding Deep 2 and 3 option to the
> Omega 8500 to let it get good depth in high EMI
> now instead of only out in a field. BUT the ID is
> no longer tight. You pretty much only get
> accuracy on tones and only 3 at that. Which is
> fine if only looking for deep high conductors but
> nickel ID is completely lost past 5-6".

Granted that my old White's machines like the XL Pro and IDX Pro modified are old technology,... They run at 6.59 kHz with no problems with EMI. A lot of this talk about low freq. Vs. high frequency is mainly a circuit design of the newer digital machines, not high or low Freq. Long live the analog machines.
March 30, 2016 06:34PM
Hombre Wrote:
> detectingMO Wrote:
> -----
> > Spaceport Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Lately I've been reading a fair amount of
> > people
> > > asking and requesting Nokta/Makro for a lower
> > > frequency coin hunter......so far they have
> > > produced on what most have asked for....that
> > being
> > > said I'm sure they are paying attention and
> > who
> > > knows...maybe one is already in the works or
> > being
> > > brainstormed as we speak...
> >
> >
> > the problem with lower frequency is
> susceptibility
> > to EMI if you want any kind of depth. Kudos
> for
> > First Texas adding Deep 2 and 3 option to the
> > Omega 8500 to let it get good depth in high EMI
> > now instead of only out in a field. BUT the ID
> is
> > no longer tight. You pretty much only get
> > accuracy on tones and only 3 at that. Which is
> > fine if only looking for deep high conductors
> but
> > nickel ID is completely lost past 5-6".
>
> Granted that my old White's machines like the XL
> Pro and IDX Pro modified are old technology,...
> They run at 6.59 kHz with no problems with EMI. A
> lot of this talk about low freq. Vs. high
> frequency is mainly a circuit design of the newer
> digital machines, not high or low Freq. Long live
> the analog machines.

what kind of depth do they get? lots of lower frequency, mostly entry, units are fine with emi but the gain isn't very high. You aren't getting past 8". You start wanting depth with increased gain and hello EMI.
March 30, 2016 06:50PM
Some good info here in this thread.

Here is what will be interesting,,, if Makro/Nokta does build say a 7 kHz platform detector,,, with this lower frequency,,, how will it handle iron, how will its separation compare to say Racer 1 or 2.

I wonder about this,, because the Deus,, as most know is a super performer in and iron for it coil size(s)....But the Deus platform it seems is built around either 12 or 18 kHz,,, and even it loses performance in iron,,,it's separation ability is decreased when operating at lower frequency.

So how much of this decrease seen with Deus--- has to do with the actual lower frequencies employed vs just the platform being built around say 12 or 18 kHz.

I don't think we have really seen a detector with this bleedy audio be developed with such a low freq for example 6 or 7 kHz.

Probably the Blisstool V6 at 8 kHz,, may be the closet thing...but I wouldn't classify it tone(s) as necessarily bleedy. But it's separation can be made to perform better in and around iron with settings adjustment. For 8khz platform,,,I don't think another 7 or 8 kHz platform can currently compete with Blisstool V6... I could be wrong....and I haven't run all 7 or 8 kHz platform detectors either.

Maybe some of the Russians units can-- I don't know though.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 06:59PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 30, 2016 07:07PM
If you're after small coins at depth..

I May suggest you look into a Higher Freq unit's like The DEUS,,,,FR,,,,DTVG..GMP..Tejon...F19..G2+..

They have the ability to See smaller target at depth that SOME other machines can't see when on lower freq's....

If Your after these small roman size coins and things Not sure where your located Sounds like Europe?( Coke) but the higher freq will hit on smaller things at depth while they will struggle on larger things at depth..that last part is weird I know..But its true...a 8 or 9 inch small say roman size coin can be lit up by some of these Higher freq high gain units..Also a F75 In Je mode will Lit up some smaller things at depth when in that mode like a small roman Gold coin..

These all will work the best if your in low Mineral of course..Yet the Bleedy and blendy type units can work well on the higher freqs looking for small coin in bad soil..that would include DEUS..GMP..DTVG,,,FR,,

Choose what works for what you're after ..Sounds like,you're not hunting coins at the park you're after more of a the Artifact type coins..It so seems..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 31, 2016 01:37PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> The R2 is a Coin unit from the company and that
> was their aim when they built it..
>
> Its also a relic unit and a Je Unit and and can
> even be a Prospecting unit ..
>
> It's on 14Khz,, but a lot of COIN plus cross use
> units combined are now on those Mid Freq's and
> have been for a while
> now.....T2,F75,Mxt,At-Pro,Thats seem to be the
> teetering point to still hit High Coins but also
> handle Trash and it also offers appeal to More
> Types of Hunters..
>
> But Ill assure you the R2 is as much of a coin
> hunter as the F75 or the At-Pro or the MXt..And
> also can have edges in that it has state of the
> art audio ..

> Keith

Spot on Keith, good write up. The R2 is a good all around detector, but slanted more towards the coin shooter. For purely relic style hunting...ie heavy iron pits... the Core has it beat, imo. I expect the Fores Relic to fare even better. Still, a solid detector (R2), and recommended for someone who's detecting style incorporates a little bit of everything... park hunting, medium (saturation) iron sites, etc...
March 31, 2016 02:20PM
Quote:"I don't think we have really seen a detector with this bleedy audio be developed with such a low freq for example 6 or 7 kHz."
The XP GMAXX2 does it, at 4.6KHz. How effective it is, is debatable.
March 31, 2016 02:39PM
Pimento Wrote:
> Quote:"I don't think we have really seen a
> detector with this bleedy audio be developed with
> such a low freq for example 6 or 7 kHz."
> The XP GMAXX2 does it, at 4.6KHz. How effective it
> is, is debatable.

Has anyone tested or run who post here???
March 31, 2016 03:33PM
If you have a DEUS just run it in G-MAXX program..

It's the simulator for the standalone G-MAXX II ...

Like the GM-POWER is the simulator for the standalone GMP..

XP/Alain answered about the different Freq here

"""""Why does the number 5 (G-Maxx) program use the 8 kHz frequency whereas the G-Maxx detector itself works on 4.6 kHz?
Because we thought the 4 kHz frequency seemed too low for simulating the G-Maxx effectively.

On these low frequencies, switching from 4.6 to 4 kHz is quite a significant change. On DEUS the performance of the G-Maxx can be better matched on the 8 kHz frequency (in fact between 7.6 and 7.8 kHz). DEUS and its 9" coil coil will give better performance with coins on the 8 kHz frequency, rather than on 4 kHz.""""""

So if you have a DEUS you should be able to tell how the G-MAXX will behave in target scenarios to a failry certain degree..

Actually sound's like that's even better for coin than the standalone G-MAXX II.

Keith

-Nikola Tesla