Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My comparsion of the GBSE against the G-2

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My comparsion of the GBSE against the G-2
December 19, 2010 04:24AM
I have used both and have one which is it?

The G-2 is the winner.....

At least in my dirt it is..

And I love the GBSE..

the G-2 is a further enhanced version....Is it the same as the GB-Pro? maybe ....Probably.....But most surely a step above the GBSE...

here's what I have noticed with my G-2

1-Louder audio with headphone's
2-More iron resolution takes more number's to completely quite nail's ( they start breaking up and takes more to completely remove them this is a Plus)
3-Quicker target response for the first 6 inches...( Audio in the first 6 inches is a razor beep then goes into a VCO response like the GBSE after about 6 inches too full depth)
4-Does signal on certain size iron as good target more than the GBSE but still has nuance to the signal that will alert you once your ear is trained
5-Display clear's after a few second's
6-whole lot better ergonomic design
7- High tone is higher than the GBSE helpful on the deep faint hit's...on the GBSE the real deepies low and high can sound close to the same the G-2 is a little higher and more discernable

Will hunt a pounded site and find low conductor's the GBSE left in dense iron.....site also hunted with the T-2 and f-75 both S.E.'s and the At-Pro and a small arsenal of other's..
Never thought the GBSE could be gone behind with another digital machine but the G-2 will do it I actually in one area found 17 more target's in 20x20 area that was riddled with dig hole's...All done with the 11 Bi-axial on the G-2.....Other machine's had a plethora of coils used on them......

I can attribute this mainly to the enhanced audio of loudness and tone separation range and super fast response combined with better resolution disc...

you can tell this is a serious relic machine for hunting the densest iron,,And from what I have gained in the last few hunt's my analog thinking is quickly coming to an end for unmasking..

Machine is the fastest I have ever ran

It's a serious machine folk's and nothing is in the same league in machine gun iron ....some are close but if you investigate some weak high sputter tone's in the machine gun nail barrage of low grunt's it will open up targets the other detector's just ignore...

Just my take for what it's worth... and if you are in the market for a true relic retrieval machine in the worst iron you can find and have patience it will out dig the top end unit's in this scenario..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 04:31AM by Keith Southern.
Re: My comparsion of the GBSE against the G-2
December 19, 2010 07:45AM
Thanks for the excellent/encouraging report Keith. Makes me feel even better about placing my order yesterday for a new G2. Ordered from Detector Depot -- nice deal and nice folks!. Because I have an F75, I wasn't sure if the G2 would be able to find anything that F75 wouldn't. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed so that it doesn't rain on Christmas day so I can get out and play with the new toy.

Bart
Keith as much as I like the Omega
December 19, 2010 10:30AM
for hunting the nasty stuff the difference in audio of the vco squeal compared to the "beep with nuances" of the G2 is huge to my ears . It makes picking out targets soo... easy... in comparison. Nothing has changed really when it comes to the most important tool, our ears.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 10:37AM by Jackpine.
December 19, 2010 05:25PM
Keith:

You always provide so much useful information in your various forum posts. Thank you so much for being willing to use so much of your time to share your expertise on detecting with us. We are all indebted to you...and so many other great contributors to all the forums (like NASA Tom, Monte, Steve Herschbach to name just a few).

I don't know if you would consider it appropriate, but I would sure love to see you expand the G2/GBSE comparison information you posted above to include the AT Pro, since you have used Garrett's new unit fairly extensively. If you are willing to do that, perhaps it could be done with the asumption that Garraett will fix the coil paint issue...a most reasonable assumption given Garrett's fabulous customer service record.

Thank you again for all you do for the world of detecting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 05:27PM by rogmey.
Thank's for the kind word's rogmey
December 19, 2010 09:55PM
And I never intended any thanks ( But thank's) just like the mutual flow of knowledge the internet allow's...

there's no one person that has all the answer's......

every little tid-bit of information gathered helps all of us in the long run...

Addressing your question on the Garrett

My take on it is it's great all around machine serious depth,fantastic audio,Good target I.D. lock (albeit small)....

But and this is a serious but...it will not compete with the G-2 in an iron infested nail blanket...but I do not know of any other machine right now that will also...I am not sure Garrett or any other manufacturer know's how to increase the speed of target response and attain depth at the same time like the G-2 does..

Till using the G-2 I thought the GBSE was amazing and would not be beat on pulling low conductor's out of iron by any other digital machine...I knew a couple of analog's that could go behind the GBSE but not a Digital....then the At-Pro came along with the unique audio not super fast shut down but unique blending audio and thought maybe this was the future ..Then I started testing my G-2 and now I am almost certain that the G-2 can not be hunted behind in iron infestation..

One thing that makes the G-2 so good in iron is the vco audio has been removed for the first 6-7 inch's of depth and replaced with a razor edge beep(Perfect for working nail's) The older GBSE VCO was full on from the coil to full depth.....the vco just did not report the super small tiny hit's in the constant barrage of nail grunt's..( it might of did but the hit's are weak and the VCO would lost in the rapid fire...

the G-2 in the rapid grunt's instead of using the vco response.... uses the razor beep and if one listen's ever so closely you will hear the faint spit of a high tone and that will alert you do open up the ground...
I run the disc on 31 and lot's of the spit's I dig in iron start out at upper 30's and time there out of the hole can be anywhere from 55-90 so far I have found..The GBSE will not accomplish this..

Is the machine a good all rounder comparing it to a At-Pro which is? No but it's the best tool I have found for unmasking in iron...I have other machine's for depth on Isolated target's...

will everyone like it? No....

still takes alot of hour's in the field to get to the level to dig the target's I am talking about getting with the G-2..Most would dismiss the hit's as falses but some are not some are...get your ear tuned to such and the find's will come from this one area of hunting...

If you have ever ran some of the older Tesoro's and learned to un-mask target's in iron through the quality of the spit's and sputter's then the G-2 will be an easier learning experience ..

will it jump on target's in hard hunted area's? No but learn the nuances and they will become more evident to you..

I will say it again iron hunting trying to un-mask is a learned artform....(And when you think you know it you learn more)

If un-masking in nails are your Forte then I myself see no equal in the G-2

Keith
December 19, 2010 11:01PM
Keith..

What is the softwareversion on your G2.

Some say they have a 1 and some say 3.0

GB pros have 3.0 it seems from other postings, I have 2.9 on my GBSE.

Thanks for all of your good reviews and will to buy and try for us..
G-2 version is 1
December 19, 2010 11:57PM
the 3.0 ones were the ones that came on and said Gold Bug

I believe when they made the G-2 say G-2 on start up they changed it to say 1 also on the version..(probably the same as the GB-Pro 3.0?)

Just a cosmetic change....who wanted a G-2 to say Gold Bug HA-HA

the GBSE were 2.9 the GB-Pro is 3.0 ...

cant get a GBSE anymore so I guess it's now a MOOT point...

believe the GB-Pro 3.0 and the G-2 1 is the same detector..but don't quote me....I would like to have a GB-Pro to see if the iron resolution is the same...
December 20, 2010 01:55AM
Keith nice to read your thoughts on the G2 it would be nice to see you hunting in iron and letting us hear what you are hearing. Not an air test but in the dirt. We hunt an old miner pit and found a lot of square nails as we dug in the ground to expose the nails I got high tones that were belt buckles and buckles that were worn on saddles and such. I didn't have enough battery life in my camera that day so I had to just shoot the finds. I do like the zips and I will disc at about 35-40 but with the split tone you get the grunt. How many targets that are keepers are you finding under a disc of say 35?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Thank's for the kind word's rogmey
December 20, 2010 02:28AM
Keith:

Thank you for the expanded explanation, and again, another usual post from you that is loaded with good, useful information and insight. It is much appreciated.
Re: G-2 version is 1
December 20, 2010 05:52PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the 3.0 ones were the ones that came on and said
> Gold Bug
>
> I believe when they made the G-2 say G-2 on start
> up they changed it to say 1 also on the
> version..(probably the same as the GB-Pro 3.0?)
>
> Just a cosmetic change....who wanted a G-2 to say
> Gold Bug HA-HA
>
> the GBSE were 2.9 the GB-Pro is 3.0 ...
>
> cant get a GBSE anymore so I guess it's now a MOOT
> point...
>
> believe the GB-Pro 3.0 and the G-2 1 is the same
> detector..but don't quote me....I would like to
> have a GB-Pro to see if the iron resolution is
> the same...

Keith great post, is there any chance in the near (ish) future where you might get hold of a GB-Pro v 3 (borrow, know a buddy with one) for a test with the G2 v 1 ??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 11:20AM by mart.
Re: G-2 version is 1
December 21, 2010 02:00AM
Yes, different Rev's will generate a 'comparison' difference.
December 22, 2010 09:47AM
Looks like your similar thread on the " Finds Treasure Forum" has been removed.
In fact the entire "Metal Detector Comparison" section has been removed.

Why would they do that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 09:48AM by mart.
December 22, 2010 09:53PM
mart Wrote:

> Why would they do that?

A critical analysis, based on fact, is not welcomed by their paid sponsors. Who wants to lose a potential sale to a competitor when some guy by the name of, say, 'Tom' puts a small doubt in your mind?

Their Moderators will fall right in line. A good question was posted as to why offending posts could not just be deleted. Well, it's just easier to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
December 22, 2010 10:01PM
mart Wrote:
> Looks like your similar thread on the " Finds
> Treasure Forum" has been removed.
> In fact the entire "Metal Detector Comparison"
> section has been removed.
>
> Why would they do that?

Wait are you talking about the AT Pro stuff or was there another thread and if so which forum?

What do you mean by "Metal Detector Comparison". I thought at finds you posted comparisons in the general Metal Detecting forum?

Man, having sponsors is just killing things over there. It's a nice forum to learn about your detector, but if you are trying to decide you can't really compare in a meaningful way - like head to head!

Finds is turning into a Facebook of sorts - very in control of the content and that is very dangerous in general for obvious reasons.
December 22, 2010 10:22PM
Keith posted his results of using his G2 and the GBSE 29 er in his ground on the Teknetics section on the FTF site and basically said the same as he did here.

Originally a short time after the thread was started it was moved from the Teknetics section but the link remained and would take you to the "metal detector comparison "section keeping the original post and resulting comments intact.

Now however If you look on the Teknetics site and scroll down you will see the original thread but once you click on the link it now comes up with "Sorry the message you requested could not be found" and takes you nowhere.

In addition a short time after that the entire metal detector comparison section has been removed.

Have a close look under the "Sun Ray Detector Electronics Forum" and this is what you will see, unless they remove that as well.

"Comparison Forum Closed
Were sorry, problems within this forum made it necessary to close it. There was a not so nice post made early this morning. The owner of the forums decided he didn't need, or want the problems that this type of forum creates."

It is worth noting that the "not so nice post made early in the morning" was in another comparison thread and not Keiths original.

In Keiths original post there was no mention of any other detectors in the comparison by anyone, just the G2 and the GBSE 29'er so why not just remove the offensive remark?

No big deal to me it just looked strange on why anyone would do this, no harm was done it was just an honest report from one persons findings and some honest questions and comments by others who had replied.

After all isn't that what forums are about??

Anyway it would be inappropriate for me to keep mentioning other forums on here so my chips are in on this one, happy hunting guys and thanks Keith for your original honest report.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 10:56PM by mart.
December 23, 2010 02:19AM
I never posted on any other forum. Not sure of your post.
December 23, 2010 08:58AM
No Tom you didn't it had nothing to do with you and i apologise if you or anyone else thought i had implied so.

My above post was to answer "earthmansurfers" question.

I wish i hadn't bothered mentioning it.

Thanks.
December 24, 2010 02:47AM
Not a problem. I was not sure of the potential implication.......not that it would have been any form of a concern.......just wanting to clarify.
January 08, 2011 01:18AM
Hi Keith, I saw you sold your G-2 on Treasure Depot. What gives?

[www.thetreasuredepot.com]
Still playing...Still think analog will out do a digital machine...
January 08, 2011 02:01AM
There getting close...the G-2 is awesome in iron...BUT..

Garrett is coming on strong with the Audio on the At Platform...No telling what they will have by the spring....

.Part of the hobby for me when I don't have a place to hunt is testing out detector's...But deer season is over and the wood's are free from hunter's and it's time to get serious and get some relic's...When I hunt relic's seriously I use what I know best and right now I need to concentrate on relic's ...Turkey season will start in a few week's....

Also have a funny feeling we are going to see something soon...

about 2-3 detector's is all anyone need's and know how to use them the rest are for testing and seeing what might might replace your personal battery..

Dont not get one because of me though they are great machine's.....I would keep one if I could afford it but with 2 kid's,House wife, and a house, and a car payment and etc etc etc...

Still believe for all round hunting the T-2/F-75 is better the G-2 will hang in there in the low conductor zone with the flagship's but suffer's on high conductor's...

Need to get a t-2 with tone break and there would really be no need for a g-2... in my way of thinking...

I am really ready for some thing to blow my hair back...(NEW TECHNOLOGY)

Keith
January 08, 2011 02:45AM
Thanks Keith, I really like your reviews, you explain things very well.

I own a T2 SE and thought about downgrading to a G2, because it sounds razor sharp on targets with a nice sharp high pitched tone. I am having problems with the T2 SE is several areas. This is while hunting trashy parks.

1. The signals are not particularly loud or sharp especially in 2 tone mode. (I even ordered a small guitar amplifier today with adjustable gain, volume and tone that might help, will test it once I get it)

2. The 3 and 4 tone modes also don't produce sharp signals, in an air test it gives you a nice sharp signal when I move the target quickly in front of the coil, but in the ground the signal is slightly diffused in 3 tone, maybe I need to swing the detector faster?

3. Finally, I am getting a lot of signals that sound like a good clean deep target, weak/small footprint but very consistent signals with a nice vdi number. But when I open up the hole I can't find the target and the signal disappears. I suspect it's tiny tiny pieces of foil, aluminium or other junk on the surface that are very hard to see, but why would the signal disappear after the hole is opened up I am not sure. Anyone else experience this?

I also think that an F-80 is coming out soon, so thinking about selling the T-2 SE and Sovereign GT to save up, but who knows when that's going to happen the G2 was announced well in advance and took forever to get out into the market.
Hey Idreamin3d here's a tip on the T-2 SE
January 08, 2011 04:05AM
it is an awesome machine for sure.....

I have found that to get better iron I.D.( Less Falsing/ solid iron grunt) and also get target's out of iron is to run the sens on 99....Not 98 or 97 or less but stick it on 99 remove headphone's and listen for the good zip hit's...I am serious about this ... For some reason the machine when put into 99 sens is a monster...

I will be the first to admit it's noisy but it's iron grunt noise not high tone false hit's....

I just remove the head phones' and turn the volume up and dig target's

I have hunted site's and hunted site's with the T-2 till it is just dead ......then go in with the 99 setting 2+ tone BP disc set on 5 and watch what comes out of the beat to death site's...

I stay out of the other tone option's just 2+

now to answer you question's

1- the t-2 is not a loud machine with headphone's thats one reason I opt not to use them especially in the summer moth's in the heat... the speaker is right there at the elbow and it seems just about as loud to me as headphone's do...when I am away from noise I do fine without headphone's on...( On the T-2) plus on 99 sens you will get a head ache quick with the constant barrage of iron grunt's...

2-I believe personally 2+ tone is the optimum tone for the T-2(If you are using tone's) and never have personally did well with the other tone's when it come's to un-masking..Just need to know if it's iron or not..1+ tone is best but requires alot of patience and exploratory digging...

3-See if the extra power (99) does not reduce ( Yes reduce) these signal's.. I will take a stab at this ...You are probably getting nail falses.... Do you have your disc above 21? if so once you break the dirt and destroy the halo the detector reads the nail as it should and if you have the disc above a nail setting it will be silent...I am just guessing but is that your setting?

Well I just read where you are park hunting so lack of headphones is out...Probably should be used anyway...just dont worry much about the volume ...pay more attention to the quality of the hit...the T-2 really on the 99 sens is pretty much a beep dig setup....sort of like it reprogram's itself ....You know you put it on 99 and it think's heckl this guy is wanting to pull some deep target's and un-mask in some severe iron!!!

I know it seem's strange but it will help I.D. iron better (((LESS FALSING))) at least it does in my funky dirt..

Now if you are experiencing trouble with the T-2 ....I believe you would find the G-2 even more problematic on small foil and such close to the surface....it would not be a first choice for park coin hunting if that's what you are after?Jewelry yes coin's no .......Stay with the T-2 it's HOTTER on coin's....

Also to get the most out of the G-2.....you will be running low disc and you will dig more trash while in the 2 tone mode than comparing to the T-2 2 tone mode...That is to get the most out of it and see any gain above the T-2...

G-2 loves flat iron and such when using the tone break advantage,,,,you have to remember the strength of the G-2 is the tone break for unmasking so it will give a good signal on larger iron that the T-2 will register as iron in the 2 tone mode....So keep in mind what you want....

g-2 is more of a specialty detector in the area of pulling low conductor's out of small Iron( Nail's) great for relics like button's but for higher coin's I believe the t-2 will pull coin's out of the same iron as good or better...

Did that help??

and what work's for me might not work for you....

but give it a shot on the 99 sens and see if it help's

Keith
January 08, 2011 05:20AM
Keith, thanks for your tips. I usually run the T2 at about 92 sensitivity, always at 21 disc in 2+ mode due to it's faster target separation over BP in a trashy park. I will try the 99 sens, but my main problem is not unmasking in iron but unmasking among pull-tabs and other modern junk. So I find the 2 tone a bit frustrating in this kind of setting, and the 3 tones is not as responsive in this kind of trash, I think it needs a faster swing speed to make it sound sharper. So when hunting 2+ tone in this kind of trash I basically get a ton of iffy signals, most of them pretty weak.

I still love the T2 for the raw power, the BP and CL modes are revolutionary. I can't wait to take it out to a forest where there is no trash, no EMI, and run it full blast.

I was wondering why do you use 5 for your disc level, isn't it getting into the mineral territory? Does it have something to do with the gain? I was listening to Relic Roundup and Mike Scott said something about turning the discrimination up to a certain level, or that there is a certain number that actually gives you more depth at a higher discrimination level then at a lower level. I know on the F-75 the magic number is 4, and the magic disc number for unmasking is 6. The disc and sens are not liniar and Tom has pointed out the magic numbers to get more depth. For the T2 the magic number for unmasking is 21, but what is the magic number equivalent to 4 on the F-75?

Thanks Keith
The settings you provided Idreamin3d makes sense
January 08, 2011 08:13AM
You are in 2+ but you are rejecting nail's so the good hit's you get are nail falses then once you dig them they will disappear because you have them disced out...( Cant grunt to report)

if you want the advantage of unmasking with the 21 disc you have to be in 1 tone for it to be beneficial ....once you select 2 tone your tone breaks at 40 so the 21 just silences more grunt's but in no way unmask any better..
please remember that in 2 tone the disc setting below 40 just allows the grunt to be silent or reported but does not unmask.....the 21 Tom talk's about is only going to work in 1 tone....

I like the 5 disc it seems to give more gain to the smaller object's you can hear it in the sens when you go below 6.....

...stay in 2+ and drop that disc to around 10 at least and some of those high weak hit's you are talking about you will start to hear the iron blat come in also when you allow it to do it with the disc and will help you realize the falses....

I can almost assure you the high weak hit's are pieces of small iron and such...good deep target's will have similar sound but will be a little different..

Now I am not the best person to ask about pull tab's and trash in park's since I have never really hunted a park and had to deal with them....but if I did and wanted to go after the older layer of silver coin's yet unreached still stay in 2+ low disc like 10, bp mode and try the 99 sens if you can get away with it and listen for deep soft repeatable hit's that sometime's jump into the 80's...

you may already know all this and if so I hope this post just reassures you of the correct setting's...

I mainly worry about people ( not you specifically ) that don't get a full grasp on how the 2+ tone actually need's to be set up versus 1 tone.....

training DVD's included with the T-2/F-75 would be very helpful..

Keith
Re: The settings you provided Idreamin3d makes sense
January 08, 2011 11:05AM
Keith, thanks a bunch for that post. Although I did know that 2+ tone has the break at 40 like you explained, and I knew that 21 was the number to use for monotone, for some reason I thought I would also get the unmasking benefits using 21 in 2+ tone. I know it makes no sense now that I look at it because the iron tone is 40 and bellow, and I remember thinking to myself, do I really need to turn the disc up to 21 even so the detector is stable at 10? And I would do it because in my head it was the magic number for unmasking. So I am pretty sure you're right, it is iron that was tricking the machine. I remember one particular signal which sounded like a perfect deep coin, I was certain it was a coin and I had a friend check it with his detector and it also gave a nice high faint tone. I made a nice plug and after I opened up the ground the signal was gone. I will run the disc at 10 and bellow now when using 2+ tone. I agree, I with someone made a DVD about some of these things. I ordered Tom's DVD because it looked like he is using an F-75 with it, and that's similar to the T-2. But still a bit different.

Thanks a lot for your help!