Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Now that the FORS Relic is arriving to people I can suggest to you the headphone that works the best

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
For me anyway'ssmiling smiley

Detector Pro Gray Ghost Deep Woods Headphones..

I've tried a lot of different Headphones with the Relic and to me the Deep Woods model is as good as it gets..

The sounds of the Relic are really nuanced on these...PLUS there BUILT FOR RELIC HUNTING..

Switches hidden inside the earmuffs out of the way.

Turn the limiter off for some Awesome CLEAN sounds...

You have to remember the Hz tones on the Relic are not adjustable..and when you hear the 700Hz high tone these Grey Ghost replicate that Hz the best of the dozen or so headphones I've tried on the Relic..

For some reason these sound better than another pair of Grey Ghost I tried..It could be the volume control not being inline??

I like them on the Racer's too..

Not trying to to tell anyone what headphones to use ..But if you're in the market for a set of phones for the MakNak series these work GREAT

Im very picky about my headphones for Bare down work..

Here's a Link to the exact ones..
[www.detectorpro.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 12:07AM by Keith Southern.
Great choice Keith those Gray Ghosts are 150 ohm just like my choice Clear Signal Soeverein which may be easier to find in the UK than the Gray Ghost Woodlands the Clear Signals also work best with the limiter off they produce lovely high tones for the good targets.

[www.clear-signal.nl]
Tracking shows my relic will be here tomorrow. I have a pair of killer b wasps going to try and xp deus wired backphones for the hot days, hopefully they sound good.
Thanks Keith - you just helped me out a lot winking smiley
Thanks for the suggestion Keith. I have Timberwolf Lobo headphones. There not made anymore. I'll see how they do.
I have a pair of original GG and while I do not like them on my Racer I think the main problem is the limiter that cannot be turned off and that is the reason I and others have commented they sound muddy. In all fairness they may be perfect for other machines. They are built very well. Just not a good match in this case in my opinion. Being able to turn off the limiter in the Deep Woods model may be key.

Keith have you noticed a pattern of the adjustments of how much gain and volume from the Fors or Racer works for the best audio response? I discussed this subject with another Racer user and he noticed turning up the gain to the high 90s, turn up the volume, and adjust the headphones so your ears don't bleed while listening for the telltale blended scratchy sounds of junk compared to good targets is kind of a operational sweet spot. He mentioned using 600 ohm phones which may be an even better match to expose the nuances of the audio. I am going to try some experiments this weekend on that setup with 600 ohm home brew phones.
Thanks Keith

I've found the "TROY" headphones (issued for the Shadow X5) work wonders on all "Nokta /Makro" machines.
Thanks keith, I value your experience and it blesses us

Curantly own a Mirage P.I made by sven , and a silver Umax with ground balance mode, and a Tesoro Tejon
How about Killer Bs ? I got a set that was very old i just got back from being rebuilt that was made when the man in Texas had them. hope they work good.
Not too long ago Keith.......

I read a post by you saying that you did not use headphones much at alleye rolling smiley
Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not too long ago Keith.......
>
> I read a post by you saying that you did not use
> headphones much at alleye rolling smiley

confused smiley
Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not too long ago Keith.......
>
> I read a post by you saying that you did not use
> headphones much at alleye rolling smiley

I remember him posting,,if my memory serves me,,, he alluded to being able to hear the things of nature better.

Seems my memory is still pretty good for a 50 plus old.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 01:47PM by tnsharpshooter.
Hombre you ever see one of "the world's most interesting man" commercials?? He says that he Doesn't Always drink beer,but when he does---Comprende??
If you'll read this line right here in my Grey Ghost deep Woods post in may answer your Question..

"Im very picky about my headphones for Bear down work"

Bear down work is when I'm trying to get sleuthy and unlock a site.

But yes most of the time I'm way back in the woods and not in a More urban environs and I have the luxury of enjoying the hunt and do opt to hunt without phones at times especially in the summer..rattlers and all...these new units especially tone wise takes a lot of guess work out of the slight nuances some machines need..

Deep hunting and unmasking does require phones though..When looking or slight singles deep or masked..

Sorry I may of caused you some sort of confusion.. and you also Jack..

And for the others I'm glad it may have helped you ...and yes most 150 Ohm sound good on the MakNok's..

BUT for some reason the Deep woods had a slight different audio tinge feel ..?? who Knows not really that noticeable unless you have other 150's to compare...All 150s sounded the best did'nt like the 8 or 32 that much..seemed weak..

Des I don't have the Troys ..rare as hens teeth nowadays..I do Know he made those in excellent muffs but in a different ohm from most of those style muffs..

Sanjuro..Good looking phones you have there!

I was going to do a review on the Garrett Carrot but not sure now??..I've mentioned before I don't have much use for a Pinpointer in my iron laden sites..LOL

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 01:02AM by Keith Southern.
I like to hunt without when I can I can hear a lot with or without..but now that I'm going wireless on the racer that may change..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Used to use GG back in the day Keith but haven't had any for like 12/13 yrs since the DFX days

They are very good HP's but been using Jolly Rogers and killer bees for a while now myself

Maybe I'll have try a new pair as I know they have 2nd/3rd gen now thumbs down
Hey Wayne!

Yes I ve heard they have used a New set of speaker's...

Some like them,,,,some don't..But for some reason they sound AWESOME on digital machines..

Don't seem to have that Tin can telephone speaker sound like they used to..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
I got my fors relic friday and absolutely hated the way it felt in my hand so i was ready to get rid of it. I however am making new brackets to fix the cuff and seperate it fom the box mount and give it more adjustment for a friend of mine i work with. Already a night and day difference so i will be modifying mine now and keeping it. I wish everything held like my t2se
Dont get rid of it because of the arm bracket..

But would like to see your Fix..

Im working on some new arm brackets myself..

Sounds Good!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
I will be machining my new parts for the mount and cuff. Ill send pics when im done. If you like it i can do the same to yours
By the way keith what dont you like about your cuff?
The arm cuff is a little tight if you have large forearms or want to wear a thick winter coat.
Sides Not tall enough..

I cant even get the strap to cinch its too low..

I would think taller sides like Minelab uses would help to stabilize the unit also..

Right now the cuff is so short as i swing I get alot of pivot on my wrist..which causes fatigue quicker on the joint..

a taller sided cuff would create more stabilization and less wrist roll..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Right now i changed the angle on the cuff and opened them up to be wider. Im at a 4.5 inch opening at the top. I also put two more sets of holes in the shaft to be able to move the cuff closer to the grip. I will be machining a new piece to clamp the box on from the back. I wanna keep the box back and the cuff forward that way it stays balanced. I will also be making extensions for the sides of the cuff. Tomorrow i should have most of it done and ill post pics.
If I may?

The bracket on top of the box has Two allen screws...if you loosen them you can slide it back and forth inside the track on top of the box..I have my bracket slid all the way to the front of the box..Doing this causes the box to stick out past the back of the armcuff out past the back of the pole.

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
I didnt even pay attention to that bracket...... I just went and slid it forward lol. Thanks for that tip. You saved me from having to machine a piece. Now i can make the cuff taller and be done.
Whew!!! that was close!!

Your Welcome!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Keith I borrowed the relic from a coworker of mine and dirtdigger to try out on a old mid 1800s blacksmith shop site and it seems to me there is a delay on the pinpoint compared to the racer is this my imagination?
How do i post pics
Join a Pic hosting Site Like Photobucket..its free..

Then upload photo..then click on the uploaded photo and you will see codes on the right that says 'share'..use the bottom code that says direct,,copy that code and then paste code here on this forum in your message..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla