Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

People Keep Rushing Out To Jump On This Train and That Train For Newest And Latest Detector Out

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is it worth it? Has anyone been disappointed with their purchase? Which detector has lived up most to all the sales hype?

tabman
Not the newest or the latest, but I boarded the F70 train and don't have any plans of getting off anytime soon.
Hype...pretty much the reverse with this one.
Been flying under the radar for years, a certified dyed in the wool sleeper if there ever was one and we owners like it that way.
All these new detectors are great, features and abilities far beyond those of mortal detectors...supposedly, but if you got something that is working for you why look anywhere else unless you absolutely need to in my opinion.
It might be nice to have the finances to try every new product as some seem to be able to, but I have never been an early adopter and probably never will be.
I am happy watching others buy these new detectors with all the whiz bang technology and wait for at least a year or two...or more to see how it all shakes out.
Maybe one day, learning new detectors is kinda fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 12:20PM by diggwr27.
Tab I got on the Racer wagon and am glad i did its a super separator trash picker, then the Racer 2 came out but i backed down from that cuz i can't keep up with the new machines pretty happy with the bliss V 5 its better than the V3 by a long shot

Curantly own a Mirage P.I made by sven , and a silver Umax with ground balance mode, and a Tesoro Tejon
Not sure there was a lot of hype associated with the F 75 when it first came out, in fact, more a love hate thing, but for me from day one of getting one it just clicked for me. And, now on my 3rd one, still does. For a particular application of hunting, say, beach, iron, hot ground, some others would be better suited, no doubt. But, for my day in, day out hunting needs I am more then pleased with my main swing. Seems like some of the newest detector additions of late are more of a niche detector. Anyway! HH jim tn
I have the Racer 2. It is a new release. Is it worth it? Time will tell. It is wise to wait until a detector has been released so others can report back. The recent Whites release comes to mind. I have purchased the latest and greatest only to be disappointed in the past. To be honest though sometimes you just don't know until you try a detector for yourself. The CTX? A great detector. But the weight is too much for me. How was I to know unless I tried it? The Racer 1 was hyped really hard on the forums. To some it is a great detector. I didn't like it at all. So you just have to find out for yourself some times. Why do I keep looking? It's my hobby and I suffer from a compulsive disease to find something better. In my opinion there has been a technological leap in the unmasking department the last few years. The AT Pro, Deus, Racer 1 and 2 and even the CTX with the ability to see multiple targets at once. So there has been advancement in our hobby and that equates to finding more targets in old areas.
Well,,,
I just bought 2 new detectors,,a CTX and a GPX 4500,,, these are more older trains I guess you can call them. I figure the only new train I will be hopping on in the future will be Deus version 4.0,,, if this train will ever show up for me to hop aboard....

One thing I see certain manufacturers doing that seems to be the ticket for a hot selling detectors..

It is called simple to operate for the performance available.

Any manufacturer who is indeed thinking about making a complicated to operate metal detector for sale to the general public,----- had better think TWICE.

Folks are busy as bees these days with work, family and other commitments ,,,,, they don't have time nor do they want to have to be mad scientists in order to find the correct potion to make a metal detector perform for them.

So like I said,,I have one train ticket left,, waiting on one train,, a specific train,,,so far the rides on this train have been both entertaining and surprising.

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 12:46PM by tnsharpshooter.
I like grabbing the detector with the fastest set-up, ready to hunt machine, easy to operate with the best performance.
One reason I like the DeepTech Vista Gold, if only Tesoro made such a detector in a smaller package like the Umax.
Simple metered machines that work for me are the T2 and GoldBug Pro. These detectors are fun to use..

Now if I want to work a bit with settings and controls, I will bring out the AKA Berkut that has a learning curve with just too many
control setting that the average detectorists will ever use or need. I like the option of having them.....

Tesoro has got it down with the KISS method, just in need of some extra fixes in performance. Maybe with Allen cannon on board......

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
I bought an XP Deus over a month ago and have not been too impressed by it. I have a really good test garden with coins and nails mixed in and my 25 to 30 year old detectors do just as well in most cases. Just put it this way, on performance alone, if I had tested a Deus in my garden before I bought it I would not have spent the money.

It is great over a lot of other detectors that has nothing to do with performance and that is hard to beat. But everything else about it is a lot of hype from what I can see. Anecdotal evidence from a few people out using it on its own is not real proof of how good a machine is. Running it side by side against other machines and checking all good targets with half a dozen other machines quickly reveals that the Deus is not really performing any kind of miracles.
I sometimes hop on the electric and use my Deus but for the most part I still travel on the steam engine...my CZ6a. Have sold off quite a few of the new and improved units over the years. The CZ6a is like those old pair of sneakers you never throw away. You can always put them on and feel comfortable...same with the 6a. I don't have to remember how to set it up for optimal use or take out a manual and re-read things prior to going out hunting and it always finds me something cool.
I've bought two of the "latest- greatest" in the last year (and ordered a third which will be here on Mondaysmiling bouncing smiley) and have not been disappointed. They all offer advances over older technology that is beneficial to me so it has been worth it for me to "jump on this and that train". I still own a "oldie but goodie" X-terra-70 for friends/family that want to come along that don't have a machine. The other "oldies" have found new homes.

I think it boils down to, most importantly, will these technological advancements benefit YOUR specific situation. Also, are you willing to put the time in to learn the new technology? Or, do you just go back to what is comfortable and familiar? If you don't hunt in demanding areas/situations that necessitate newer technology then the older technology will meet your demands.

VLF has been maxed out in depth for years now so the advancements are mainly made in discrimination and processing speed. If your situation doesn't demand those advancements you will be disappointed with the latest- greatest machine. Plus, over time, we get to know our older machine's nuances and that alone can be more beneficial than any new technology. In my experience, the latest advancements are more than hype. The technological advances are exactly that- advances. It's kind of like cell phone technology...If you use a cell phone to just make phone calls then you will be very disappointed with your brand new latest-greatest iPhone 6s because, for making phone calls, it's no better than your old flip phone (and not as familiar) despite all of the so called hype.

HH

Dean

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 03:08PM by bado1.
Heck I think its part of the hobby and a lot learned along the way but can be expensive coming from a guy thats tried a least a hundred along the way trying and trading..
Now that age and family problems have limited my time in the field am happy to use my CZ6A converted to a CZ3D by Tom as have the best of old and new all rolled into one..
Having said the above if I were younger without family health problems would surely be doing the deus-racer etc shuffle as we only go around once and well new toys add to the
hobby experience......
Personally for me, I like to test out most of the "said" latest/greatest on the market JUST to see if I may like it in ALL aspects over some of the tools in my shed and then make an informed decision thru that testing if I can adapt it into the lineup while at the same time - as to if it can replace one of said tools (or possibly even 2) and then sell off what it replaces (if it can/does).

In recent times (last 5 yrs alone) I have bought/owned/tested somewhere in the range of 25 machines and have sold all of them to come full circle and re-buy my 3rd CTX, and 3rd Deus as they are hard to beat as a combo out in the field in most all sites/conditions that I encounter/hunt.

I also have an old 90s model Whites water/diver for water hunting, and have the new Fors Relic arriving today according to FedEx

I had the Fors Gold+ last fall so I know what to expect in performance from the FR but the kicker is all the added features to the FR VS the FG+ so I know it has a solid place in the tool shed for a long time to come and completes my collection for a while for all types of hunting that I do on all fronts.

If I had an endless supply of $$ = I'd have far more machines than I do because there are many more I feel are very good but reality dictates and I have a set amount of "fun/toy" $$ to play with so I have to buy/try/trade/sell in order to feed the addiction of trying/testing the new/est units out there (but at the same time) I use what works out in the field in the type/s of places I hunt and want only the best for ME for those sites/my style of hunting.
Happy with what I got. CZ's still kick ass but have been getting heavier. Little Eurotek pro once GB to my soil is a trash killer.
Gamma still works great. May be going to part with my t2 as I never use it anymore since I got the gamma.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
Our industry moves slowly anyone that is a veteran hunter knows what it takes to find our relic history rusting away in the dirt. More areas have been hunted so it's harder to find targets. Some of the new machines give us an edge in iron and that seems to make a difference. Europe seems to be offering the most for those of us that like to buy new machines. If you love history and are still searching for places to hunt and know how to use your machine. Yes it's worth getting a new machine.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do I
> keep looking? It's my hobby and I suffer from a
> compulsive disease to find something better.

Yea, my wife has that disease too.
The big problem with that is she is usually referring to me.
Just got a clean sweep for my SS micromax, and yes, it has lived up to the hype! Oh yeah, also got a R2, haven't gotten out with it yet but I'm confident that it will be another good one. It kinda seems to me that a lot of what we're seeing right now is digital vdi catching up with screenless analog audio. It's kinda hard not to get caught in the hype. Take the new Garrett's, not going to rush out and buy one but, it's nice to see things moving forward.
I purchased both the G2+ and R2 in their first run. Both are decent detectors, but neither are what I was looking for. I was disappointed, but I'm picky. It is hard to rein back a purchase with the buzz of a new product swarming the forums.
triplehooked Wrote:
> I purchased both the G2+ and R2 in their first
> run. Both are decent detectors, but neither are
> what I was looking for. I was disappointed, but
> I'm picky. It is hard to rein back a purchase with
> the buzz of a new product swarming the forums.

those are the 2 I have right now....very pleased (after 1 season) with the G2+ for urban city use, looking at
the R2 for replaying some of the older spots...I like it so far (simply fun trying something else), with
the 5x10 seeming to be a good compromise for weight/balance...
sadly, just not many decent finds left here....what with the heavy (get it) Minelab presence here both past and present....
I'm hoping for a 3.5lb Minelab FBS3 land only machine....and it wouldn't need to be software upgradable to save cost, haha....
triplehooked Wrote:
> I purchased both the G2+ and R2 in their first
> run. Both are decent detectors, but neither are
> what I was looking for. I was disappointed, but
> I'm picky. It is hard to rein back a purchase with
> the buzz of a new product swarming the forums.

Yes it is hard to but there are doctors and pills that are supposed to help.
Thing is you can buy a detector for what a doctor bill and script cost.

Only machine I bought new that I was less than satisfied with was the G2. It just did not work for me. Still love the CZ 6a that I bought new in 1991, and the Deeptech Vista Gold that does everything that anyone could ever ask for in a relic machine. Great depth and target seperation. Actually I find myself buying older proven machines lately. Just picked up an older Nautilus DMC IIb with three coils, the older thicker coils, that works amazingly well. Going to be fun learning the nuances of this machine. And at a price of only $425. I am happy with it so far.
Technology has given us the best meta detectors,the fastest muscle cars ever and some of the best scopes and high-powered centerfire rifles ever.
But good ground to detect is disappearing fast,drag strips are closing down left and right and land to hunt on has been and is being developed by 1000's of acres per day. Oh yea,now we have to have a saltwater fishing license and seasons now with tiny bag limits.
I would like to be 85 yrs old now instead of 57 because resources are getting thin.

Any train coming out of Turkey seems to be a winner for now -
rustic charm Wrote:
> Any train coming out of Turkey seems to be a
> winner for now -

Agreed as long as it's not the Orient Express!

Tom
I've really never had a machine that I've disliked but I do like innovation and appreciate new useful features. I always try to get the most out of what I have.

I have an F75 DST now that I like and also the tiger shark that I also like but that's not going to stop me from purchasing something new that can do things my current machines don't do well.

I don't currently own a Makro or Nokta machine but I do plan on getting one in the near future. I like the style of their company. They really do try to listen to what their customers want. Something that's rare these days.

HH
John
Same on the Racer and glad it was added. More I swing it the better in the trash due to understanding what it's telling me. The GPX 4800 was added this year from what I was seeing in other relic hunters and so far it has given great depth and produced as long as I have set right. Couple of weeks ago I wanted a water unit, the Sport was hitting the marked but once again went with a tried and true in the AT Pro.

Some folks metal detect and then you have those that truely enjoy every aspect of the hobby and understand where multiple unit will help you in a given a location....be it trashy, highly menerlized, deep targets ect..

I let the ground tell me which needs to be used as I'm sure others here do as well. Can't say I've had a bad detector but I have had plenty that didn't do what I wanted due to the way I hunt...not to say they were bad units.
I've had one metal detector a year on average in the three years I've been detecting, and all have been Fishers. Not necessarily brand loyal so much as still in the learning phase, and they have all been similar, so I've upgraded machines as I've upgraded my ability. I've always looked at the F75 SE/LTDs as the "end all" machine or "holy grail" since reading so much information about them here, and recently was able to acquire one with DST (which is even better in my opinion), and I have to say I haven't been disappointed in the least. Sure, there are others that do some things better, as can be said of all machines, but the F75 LTD2 is the one I want that fills my needs and is best for me at the time. That may change one day, but for now I have no plans on trying something different, and it will probably take something substantially better in several areas (depth, unmasking, ID accuracy, etc.) to make me seriously consider changing something that I click with and am more than happy with.

That's just me, and to each his own. I really like reading and watching videos of others' experiences with the "latest and greatest" machines, and those that enjoy trying all the latest offerings are fine by me. smiling smiley
My Fisher 1265x is the same way. Once you learn it, not much out there can beat it.
I've jumped on the train a few times, even bought the same ticket twice on a few occassions :-)

But I'm fairly happy with my current line-up: X-terra 705, CTX, Excalibur, SDC.
Not big on brands because I've had F75 Ltd, F19, CZ-3D, 2x Deus, Coinmaster, AT-Pro, Go-find 60.

It just boils down to an operating system I'm use to and experience in what my different machines and coils will do.

As of late the Nokta/Makro company have been the flavour of the year.
Whites have launched a failed rocket.
Fisher F-19 and F-75 DST jetfighters have had some fuel and start-up problems.
Which all makes for great reading and adds some drama to the whole detecting hobby, but I can do without it.

Why certain manufacturers can't turn out proper units with minimal variances one batch to the next,... just beyond me in this day and age.
And why they persist in bringing units to market that haven't been thouroughly field tested? Major Marketing BooBoo
Especially when a firm bragging about it's reputation goes all banana's and long range locators at you.

Rant over,... let's get some holes dug!

HH
Johnb
Unlike Arthur, I am very, impressed with the Deus.. I have done side by side tests with an etrac and a CTX... The Deus, 'IN MY HUNTING CONDITIONS', outshines them both.

The only new one I will get, is the Deus 4.0 when and if it becomes available
supertraq Wrote:
> Technology has given us the best meta
> detectors,the fastest muscle cars ever and some of
> the best scopes and high-powered centerfire rifles
> ever.
> But good ground to detect is disappearing
> fast,drag strips are closing down left and right
> and land to hunt on has been and is being
> developed by 1000's of acres per day. Oh yea,now
> we have to have a saltwater fishing license and
> seasons now with tiny bag limits.
> I would like to be 85 yrs old now instead of 57
> because resources are getting thin.

Right on the money! Really sad for my kids and grand kids. You and I are the same age and I feel exactly the same way.

I jumped on the NOK/MAK train for relics and the Minelab train for nugget shooting and have been very pleased. I detect 2-3 times per week in challenging country (Arizona- very mineralized) and, thus far, have been quite successful. The real challenge is finding good places to detect.

Dean