Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Review of the AT Pro by Monte

Posted by mrwilburino 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Review of the AT Pro by Monte
December 27, 2010 08:17AM
Since the AT Pro has been such a hot topic around here lately: here is a link to pretty interesting (and long) review that Monte posted over at the American Heritage Research & Preservation Society forums:

[www.ahrps.org]
Re: Review of the AT Pro by Monte
December 27, 2010 03:51PM
Thanks for the link. I like to read what Monte has to say. His "short" review is sure long! (Which is Monte).

He is sure very critical of the unit (fair in some ways and overblown in others imo) and compared it to the Delta and Omega, seemed to distance it from the T2 and F75 without ever using any in ground targets. He also used suggested retail prices, which I didn't understand.

In the second page of the review, this caught my attention:

"At the full Sensitivity level I determined that the new AT Pro might do an okay job for most hunting applications because most tend to have coins and similar smaller targets in the surface to 4" range. It did okay. But then the targets were worked about 6" or more from the search coil's center the audio was definitely starting to weaken and I found it trailed off quickly. That was at maximum Sensitivity and I know for a fact that the MXT Pro and Omega were not going to be out-classed at all. Matter of fact, the audio responses were so weakish that I quickly shifted back to the STD mode for the saturated audio and, by comparison, the increase in audio response and felt performance was much more pleasing than the PRO mode. "

Everything I've seen on the Garrett forum, including some videos, show that the AT Pro is very deep, both in air and ground. I don't get what Monte is saying here. From what I've seen in videos, it seems like the AT Pro is on par with the Omega - no problem. I'd rather compare it against the T2 and F75.

I have been attacked at the Garrett forums so I'm not questioning Monte's review out of any sort of loyalty, rather if anything it's "hostage syndrome" eehehe. Further, Monte is, in large part, a big reason why I went from the T2 to the Omega, or rather tried the Omega. The review he gave sure seemed negative relative to what people are saying. As I said, some of his criticisms are spot on but something was off for me regarding his quite long review - two very long pages with no in ground testing.

Looking forward to what he says regarding in ground tests - around iron and it's overall depth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 03:58PM by earthmansurfer.
December 28, 2010 04:01AM
Isn't he on Teknetics' payroll?
It sure seems like it
December 29, 2010 03:41AM
When I read his cheerleading posts on the tek forum. Plus he was giving away tek detectors last summer as prizes on his website.
Re: It sure seems like it
December 29, 2010 08:33PM
I thought so. Very hard to believe an "unbiased" opinion when he's getting paid by a competitor.
Re: It sure seems like it
December 29, 2010 10:19PM
That's just guesses or speculation about Monte being on the Tek payroll.---Unless you know it for sure as a fact, it's kind of a "nasty rumor" to start up--doncha think???-----Hey, if you REALLY want to know, P.M. him & ask him!---He won't lie to you.-----Monte does a LOT of tests on other brands of detectors also and gives many of them a favorable report as well (if they deserve it).----Teks aren't the only ones he "likes".------Nobody or anything is perfect but Monte tries to give fair evaluations (as Tom does).----I for one really appreciate both of these men & think both of them (Tom & Monte) are a REAL CREDIT to this fine hobby.----------Del
December 29, 2010 10:36PM
You are on the mark Del.
Lets not assume !
December 30, 2010 05:39AM
Experienced detectorists often have different opinions on a new detector. That doesn't necessarily mean anyone is being less than forthright.

Like many others, I've always enjoyed and appreciated Monte's posts.

Monte really, really likes the Omega 8000. If First Texas does support him in some manner, possibly it's because of his support rather than the other way around. You can bet Mr. Berry's enthusiasm has been responsible for selling quite a few Omegas.
December 30, 2010 07:32AM
i read monte's posts all the time,and i feel he is telling it 'straight!"
he has helped many,and is a very experienced user!..he likes the "omega" because he finds a "ton" of stuff with it!
when ya think about it,isn't that what it's all about?...

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 30, 2010 02:13PM
The criticality of honest/truthful reporting is paramount........with the understanding that different folks will have/present different variables such as dirt mineralization. There's a lot of folks....with a lot of dollars on-the-line. So........reputable/trustworthiness is important.
December 30, 2010 09:20PM
I consider Monte to be both honest and fair, and I know he spends a lot of his time trying to help people. FWIW, when Tom's review was posted on the "other" forum those who disagreed did the same thing to Tom, they attacked him as biased. It was crap then and it is crap now.... a person's opinion is nothing more and when the parameters of testing are stated there is no reason for personal attacks.

Monte may find completely different results in the field but he clearly stated what sort of testing he did.

It seems that any review of the AT that is in any way negative... even if it is mostly positive, results in a personal attack on the reviewer by someone. Different people like different things... get used to it. Not everyone likes everything, if you like it then good... gather some different detectors that are in the same price range do a test and write a review. I'll be interested but it won't make me more or less likely to buy an AT. The things that make me likely to get one are the posts from people who are using it in my kind of ground. The things that make me less likely to get one are the lack of a lock on the shaft (no escuse for that) and a short upper shaft where the cuff is... oh and the dumb placement of the headphone connector, besides havingto get an adapter to use good phones. Stilln the proof is in the finds and some good relic hunters seem to like it so THAT is what matters most to me.

Let's leave off the personal attacks unless you know for a fact that a reviewer is purposely being biased... it was ugly on the "other" forum and it is ugly here.

Julien
December 31, 2010 05:59AM
As I understand it, Tom and Monte detect in soils that are on opposite ends of the mineralization spectrum. Tom's - very light, Monte's - very heavy.
December 31, 2010 08:10PM
Believe you are correct on that marcomo.-----Monte is from the Portland, OR area (Oregon City)--heavier mineralization there.---I am from eastern OR (gold country) & I'm sure the mineralization is even heavier where I live/hunt.----Tom being from FL & (very) light mineralization, I think it is VERY interesting to hear reports from both sides of the mineralization spectrum.---------Del
January 01, 2011 01:27PM
..........and this may make so much of a difference so as to be:

1) Superior in one type of soil
2) Failure in another type of soil (not the prefered metal detector choice)
January 10, 2011 11:12PM
I wonder if Monte ever did the ground tests? I was looking forward to a good read.
Monte's Response.....
January 13, 2011 05:03AM
I emailed Monte yesterday about the AT Pro field tests. This is what he had to say:

January 12, 2011 01:22AM Admin
TerraDigger, I had my computer shut down for some routine maintenance and was reviewing notes from some of the last bit of testing. It's been rather wet and cold up here (NW Oregon) so it took me a little longer to fit in some days to get out with it and some other detectors. Anyway, I am working on it now and will have it up by later today (Wednesday).

Thanks for asking,

Monte
January 13, 2011 08:21PM
Finds did their computer maintenance too !!....... They booted me off of the Garrett forum ..... They took my movie and everything that had to say away !!.....GONE !!!...... In the words of Jack N. " YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH " .......LOL !!.... I even agreed to end the conversation as it was going nowhere ....then the moderator called people that had issues with the AT Pro , "Chronic Compliainers " and I let him know that since he had no knowledge of what the problems were with other peoples machines, and just because he did not have these problems himself , didn't mean that they didn't exist ...I then askied him if he had a problem that I didn't have , should I call him names ? .... ..... That was it .....GONE in 60 seconds ......My partner said my information went not too long after I got the boot !!...... As I said in another thread here on the forum , it's not about right or wrong on some forums ...... The guy who pays the bills doesn't want bad publicity about a product ,and neither do the sponsors ..... Again , I thank Tom for a forum where we can be truthful about our machines and find solutions and learn to be better detectorists .....This may very well be the only detector forum on the net where you can get honest answers, and post honest findings , without fear of being given the boot !!...... Jim
January 13, 2011 10:03PM
I stopped buying detecting magazines because I couldn't take the one sided reviews anymore. I welcome honest answers to questions about the hobby of detecting. Negative feed back can be done with respect and recommendations. We should not put up with companies controlling the feed back. Look how many people still ask questions about those long range detectors. We as customers should have set the record straight on certain things long ago. As long as it is done with respect and data to back it up I am all for it.
January 13, 2011 10:22PM
Can anyone find Monty's latest review, I don't see it???

BTW - Sorry to hear synthnut that you were booted. They let me back on the forum but I'm not really posting there these days. Gonna see how things turn out with the AT Pro over the next few months. It sucks to not be able to ask questions. I have even been called out on other forums for my post on Finds - people really got the wrong idea about my posts, which is understandable as it's just writing. I do hope that Finds becomes a bit more lenient with questioning and the like. Stopping freedom of speech is not possible. There will be a self adjustment, that is just how things end up working out (if history is any indicator).
Re: Synthnut
January 13, 2011 11:33PM
Why don't you post the link to your video in a new thread here at Tom's. I would simply title it "Video of Garrett AT Pro Falsing". No comments on your part, just the video link.
Folks today seem to appreciate pictures more than words.
Like Earthman, I have had my issues with moderator's at the other site. And like EMan, I choose not to post there.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, but if it was me, I would send the coil only, back to Garrett for a new one. See if your falsing issue is resolved. It's really just using basic scientific process of elimination procedure.
My above suggestion is not to discount the potential coil issue as outlined by Tom D.
But if a replacement coil solves your issue then you can keep a good machine and you do not have to sell it at a loss. If new coil does not solve issue then it will give much more weight to the argument that the AT Pro has a improperly designed coil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 11:37PM by TerraDigger.
January 14, 2011 03:09AM
Keith Southern posted a video on Finds , right after I ordered my AT Pro .....I remember posting on the forum that if my coil did that , I would not worry because I knew that a reputable company like Garrett would take care of it if I had a problem ...... When my AT Pro came , it was every bit as bad as Keiths , and maybe worse , and the example that Keith gave , and my machine doing the same thing, Brad Keel at Garrett sent me an email telling me that this was normal , and that other machines would do the same thing, epecially those with DD coils .....He offered to have me send in my coil , and then wanted me to send in my entire machine for a new one ...... I sent him an email explaining to him that if he was calling the falsing of this coil normal , that there was no sense in me sending in my machine as I respectfully disagreed with him and did not think that I would benefit by sending my unit in ...... I will wait and see if Keith's new unit comes to him with a coil that does NOT false ..... Keith and I are not the only people who have been having problems with a falsing coil .... I don't feel bad that Finds gave me the boot off of the Garrett forum .... You do fine over there as long as you say good things about the product ......It helps the manufacturers sell product, and it helps the vendors make money ..........If you step out of line , and talk about a problem you are having with a detector , and too many people start to listen to you , and realize that they have the same problem they give you the boot .... You get bad mouthed and they label you as a troublemaker .... I feel bad for the foks who trust forums like this for honest answers .....I'll still do OK with my machine .....and will wait it out and hope for better coils .... As Tom mentioned , it really is in Garretts best interest to get this coil situation straightened out ....... Jim

PS...Thank you all for your concern ....It's much appreciated ....Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 03:17AM by synthnut.
January 14, 2011 03:12AM
I'm with TerraDigger, too. I wouldn't just walk away from the situation. If nothing else, there is some principal involved, as well. If what Keith says is fact, you could get yourself a good working coil. Look, Garrett is not going to admit to any problem, but will in all likelihood quietly replace any bad coils sent back to them. Good luck. HH jim tn
January 14, 2011 01:13PM
Thanks for your post Jim tn.......and HH to you too ......I'll probably send the coil in .... and hope for the best ...I'm gonna wait a while longer to make sure that they are producing good coils ......Thanks again , Jim
January 14, 2011 08:21PM
Does anyone know if Monte ever put out that Omega manual he said he was going to? Seems like most manufacturers leave so much out and he has listed so many tips. He actually said he was working on a manual quite a while ago.
January 16, 2011 12:01PM
Looks like Mont posted his wrap up:
[www.ahrps.org]

Just read it and he listed some pluses and minuses but he really didn't get into performance. He did ZERO air tests and didn't list the specifics of in ground tests, but said it is close in performance and can basically hold it's own against the M6, MXT, MXT Pro, T2, G2, Omega and Gamma. I would have really liked to see some comparative air and ground tests. I still feel like a lot was missing from his "wrap up", though he covered the ergonomics and the like very well. He wrote many many pages about the AT Pro (considering his last mini review) and after all that I am still wondering about the specifics of its performance. Guess I'm spoiled by this forum...

I did like some of his criticisms this time around as he mentioned some things that I hadn't seen on the forums and were actually quite important(go figure!).

I should add, I really like reading Monte's posts on the forums and have learned more from his posts than most others, at least on the Finds Teknetics forums, so my comments are purely directed at the before mentioned articles and not the person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 12:18PM by earthmansurfer.
January 17, 2011 08:51AM
I would really like if Monte would do some posting here. He would be able to post this current AT Pro evaluation with no fear of reprisal.
And yes Earthman...........Monte is a awesome source of help and knowledge to the detecting community.

“Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value ---- zero.”