Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sensationalism vs responsibility

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Sensationalism vs responsibility
April 23, 2016 01:45AM
Relics are the same way as silver...nobody is replinishing them. The old timers had access to a lot of sites that are gone now; buildings or streets on top of them. The only way we have the ability to see the finds is through relic books and or museums. Thank goodness for the guys that rescued what they could when they could or it would have been lost to "progress". That is the big difference in a relic hunter mentality vs the coin guys. Relic hunters see every piece recovered as a rescued piece to preserve for the future. A lot of the sites we hunt are construction sites...sites that within days or hours, will be gone forever. I do see a lot of jealousy and envy through posts and comments from certain people on the forums. Including here. I don't think some realize how much work and driving it takes to go find sites and relics/old coins on a regular basis. Some are hindered by going to the same old park or school that they have hunted for 30+ years and they just don't want to put in their dues of researching and finding other sites. Heck, some of the relic sites I hunt are multiple hours drive away from home. I could sit at home whining about how I can't find much around home anymore and blame it on this or that (everything and everyone but myself) or I could get out there, put in a little elbow grease and seat time, and find relics again. I choose the second option. Obviously, some prefer the first option. If I have to drive to west or middle Tennessee, or north Mississippi, or Georgia, South Carolina, or Virginia to find relics...well pack the bags, spend a few vacation days, and let the good times roll.
April 23, 2016 03:33AM
First and Foremost it might just pay to get the manufacturers to put together informative and instructional videos to go with their product releases & not some half arsed attempt to show us how good or bad their unit compares to others -

I started watching videos (youtube) on metal detectors as some of the big names in metal detecting clearly lack the ability in putting together instructional videos on how to use the product - From what I have seen in my short time detecting is that there are those who do put together videos that are great at getting you up to speed regarding a particular unit and then of course we have the show ponies who are trying to emulate the hyped up shite on TV -

Maybe just maybe if the manufacturer's start getting their act together users would NOT have to make as many videos trying to help others...

This is yet another reason why Makro/Nokta are a great choice - But hey, each to their own -
April 23, 2016 10:14AM
I've been down both roads, so to speak, posting most of my finds and striving to hit a certain silver coin number each year, but have gotten pretty much away from doing so of late. No particular reason other then it got boring to me and highly suspected it had gotten so for others, too. Also, I have gotten more into seeking the older coin varieties. Don't, however, expect me to leave any silver coins in the ground that I may come across. For those that feel they should, be my guest. I have no problem with others posting whatever and all they find. I can elect to look or not to. No doubt it is a ego thing with some and no doubt, for some they just want to share their finds and tales of finding them. This hobby I believe is called metal detecting. HH jim tn
April 23, 2016 01:45PM
One only has to remember who has resided in the White House for the past 7.3 years to get the "pulse" of the public.
April 23, 2016 04:51PM
Just for the record I didn't loose a local park. I lost 68,000 acre's of Forest Preserves. Back in the Victorian area these were Picnic groves. So that was a he'll of a lick.
We still have are gang infested Chicago parks which I could care less about myself just can't keep an eye on my car. Not many coin hunters going to drive 3-4 hours to get a couple wheats and maybe a silver. Relic hunters loose there sites to progress. We lost are sites to ignorance. Nuff said x2.
April 23, 2016 05:12PM
jim tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been down both roads, so to speak, posting
> most of my finds and striving to hit a certain
> silver coin number each year, but have gotten
> pretty much away from doing so of late. No
> particular reason other then it got boring to me
> and highly suspected it had gotten so for others,
> too. Also, I have gotten more into seeking the
> older coin varieties. Don't, however, expect me to
> leave any silver coins in the ground that I may
> come across. For those that feel they should, be
> my guest. I have no problem with others posting
> whatever and all they find. I can elect to look or
> not to. No doubt it is a ego thing with some and
> no doubt, for some they just want to share their
> finds and tales of finding them. This hobby I
> believe is called metal detecting. HH jim tn

Very well said Jim.
I am just now getting to the point that you have already come to.
At the first of the year I set a silver goal. It was just a personal thing. Not to show off.
Part of the reason was just because I love silver coins, and the other was to improve my skills,
and it has.
I just broke 50 silvers for the year yesterday and I have proven to myself that I can do it.
Now I don't care about my number as much as what the coins are.
I'm trying to put myself into better locations for even older coins.
I'm slowing down and really working on the deep and iffy signals amongst the trash.

I enjoy seeing other peoples finds but feel a little stupid now for posting mine.
I didn't know people were offended by them.
Bryan
April 23, 2016 07:27PM
I think we all like to the older coins posted with a story. Seated and of course a Capped Bust are incredible finds. Even the Coppa's as Bill Ladd says are cool to see. There is just something about counting and yearly tally's that just doesn't sit right in me. I just have an image of hunters burning through place after place to amass some fictional number. Slow down and enjoy the trip. Respect the history and have fun. Detecting to me has always been about being the first one to touch that target in many years and the possible story of how it was lost. Maybe I'm wrong, but it has never been about the numbers.
April 23, 2016 08:01PM
I agree with you goodmore a 1000%. These are the type of clowns who cost us are preserves. They would have their little yuppie group hunts 30 or more all with shovels digging up the preserves. Can you imagine a cop or just a busy body seeing this? They even kept track of the silver finds on another forum. The forum is now vacant as they got most the spots closed. I would be willing to say most hadn't been detecting but a few years so they probally went back to golf or somthing else. I don't think they lost a minute sleep as just a game to them not a passion!
Nuff said X3.
April 23, 2016 10:11PM
When I run out of permission hunts and don't have much to detect except for some super hard hit older areas, I may get on my high horse as well. The homeowners who give me permission to hunt their property seem very happy to do so and I'm really happy to be able to detect their yards. Everyone is happy except for the ones that don't have any good places to detect. I guess it's a matter of perspective. LOL

tabman
April 24, 2016 01:46AM
It all comes down to why you enjoy the hobby. SOME relics can be worth a good bit of money. Most are not. Just like the coins. It is the pursuit of them that makes it fun for me. What you see in pics or videos, are just the highlites of what may have been many miles walked without finding anything. I've drove 9 hours ONE WAY to Virginia and hunted where the Iron Brigade was supposed to have camped. I spent all day hunting and found one piece of melted lead and a buckshot ball. I couldn't tell you how many miles I have walked up ridges and hills and in valleys...through briars, poison ivy, fighting heat, humidity, snakes and yellow jackets. Only to be able to tell you where soldiers DIDN'T lose a single thing smiling smiley THAT is why it is called HUNTING. Every outing is not a guarantee to find a keeper. Hunts that show case nothing would be pretty boring to watch. This is why most people will not help you hunt for or locate new spots. They would rather have you do all the leg work and driving to find a spot and then ride your coat tails to it once it is found. Monetary value of a fired minie ball is less than a featureless silver dime, but the passion and drive for history is what gets me out there and keeping on. I would love to be able to hunt some of the local sites again where we found relics in the late 90s but they have subdivisions and shopping centers on them now. My commutes to find new sites get longer and longer it seems but the passion to keep going is fueled by the forum posts and videos from people like AquaChigger and those Lowcountry fellas.
April 24, 2016 02:15AM
I love Aquachigger's videos. I have learned a great amount from them. From things in nature to detecting to marijuana fields. I look forward to many more from him. His animal rescues speak great volumes about the type of guy he is.
April 24, 2016 11:26AM
Coin and relic hunting very in another way from beach hunting. The public kind of accepts seeing 5 or even 6 people out there swinging. I highly doubt a park or someone having a half dozen people on their front porch asking for permission to dig up the yard would be appreciated........ and that gets the no detecting signs posted. Its almost impossible for a club to find a location for a club hunt now days. I think a lot of it is we havent found a way to show the better part of our hobby...... like give backs on jewelry, preserving or showing our relics.... or even giving some to a local museum. Arcks hate us..... they think they are the only ones who should be digging up the past and that we are the reason they are loosing their sites..... yet they have laws that protect them to the point of infringing on a persons property. I dont understand the governments or Arcks point of they would rather see history rot away than it be in our hands. Even when THEY take over a site ........ most of the stuff is showed briefly and then stored and never seen again. Again....... is it about the money? Arcks grants and the governments inability to make a buck? Looks at Fls laws on the E. coast for treasure hunting. I used to be an antique dealer........ oddly acceptable...and now known as PICKING i guess. They may not like us out there....... but let them loose something and who do they run to. Saved a $300 pair of glasses for a lady yesterday....... and watched an 8 year old loose a go pro whose Dad i had just told he was going to loose that. BUT..... he wanted me to go looking for it. I keep track of what i find, i post a few of the nice but not the BEST of my finds because like relic and coin hunters i just get a warm fuzzy from people appreciating the same things i do.

Dew
April 24, 2016 04:47PM
My only competition is myself..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 24, 2016 07:37PM
The "average" person is NOT going to look at a metal detecting video on Youtube. (Only us idiots). I think there are some pretty good ones, actually. There's a German guy who does it in English and another Norwegian also. So worrying about how the videos portray metal detecting is, I believe, wasted.

I believe our efforts in furthering the hobby in a positive light are better spent in interfacing with the public. I get questioned every time I detect by curious individuals...and I make it a strong point to show the garbage (a lot of it dangerous) that I pick up off the beach and also show the few coins I've found. Of course, the most asked question is about my BEST find. And I have that pretty rehearsed to not overblow the significance. Mostly coins with the occasional bling. Being a beach hunter I've converted a few fisherman into the hobby...there's a definite resemblance between the two activities.

Of course dirt hunting is a whole different game and it doesn't take much to piss off the general public (stealing artifacts from the "public" parks). Our detecting days there are numbered and it's just a matter of time, sadly. I wonder if something like in the U.K. would work here?

Joe
April 24, 2016 07:52PM
What compels people into "furthering the hobby" is what mystifies me to begin with. Encouraging greater numbers into an activity with limited resources does nothing but harm the activity for everyone in the long run. Then the same people complain about the lack of opportunity. Cognitive dissonance,,,,,,ego masturbation
April 24, 2016 11:15PM
Shoveler..you didn't quote me correctly...I said "Furthering the hobby in a positive light"...missing the point entirely.

I make it a POINT not to brag about my finds and show them the measly coins and the good we do getting the trash out. A realistic view of the hobby.,

I find it's an odd attitude to try to keep this "wonderful" hobby all to ourselves. The loot is thinning out..keep it quiet!
April 24, 2016 11:57PM
Missed nothing DrJ ,,,,just omitted the part that was redundant for brevity.
You're right , the hobby is wonderful and , as such , doesn't need promotion.
Dealers promote for profit , videos promote for narcissism.
One is a necessary evil when the resource is limited , the other is the hobby's root for destruction.
April 26, 2016 05:05AM
I enjoy seeing other people's finds whether in pics or vids. I think it's good for the hobby.
I really like the basketball trick shot guy's vids. They are well thought out and certainly not overly sensational. Seems like he has worked hard at getting good permissions as well. That's hard to do.
I agree, some vids are over the top with the yelling, and over celebration and all. I just don't subscribe to those channels. On the other hand, there are some very good ones that put our hobby in a good light (aqua chigger). Perhaps, instead of focusing on the bad ones, we should promote the good ones by mentioning them or subscribing to them?

What may be a boring find to one may be a bucket list find for someone else. They should post a pic of it so that we can share in their accomplishment. A silver coin of any kind is a rare find here in AZ.. I have found ounces of gold nuggets with a detector but can't find a Mercury Dime to save my life. Yep, a Merc is on my bucket list...even a blackened, worn with age, smooth disc Merc and, when I find it, I will proudly post a pic of it on every forum that I am a member of....maybe twicesmileys with beer.

Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 05:14AM by bado1.
April 26, 2016 05:20AM
That's funny as a gold nugget is on my bucket list. LOL!
April 26, 2016 06:40AM
ozzie Wrote:
> Don't let that stuff bother ya Bey....I'm talking
> about liars and cheats....can't get away from
> them, they're all over the planet as you know.
>
> The uncovered holes and making a mess of a park,
> well that's something to get pizzed about. When we
> come across that, our adrenaline pumps and the
> blood pressure rises out of our control. We feel
> responsible for their ignorance and we have to fix
> their mess to keep the peace.

yeah! ya feel obligated to fix the damage they have done!
apathy and indifference= "hobby killer!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 26, 2016 06:44AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Well at 53 I'm not that old yet? But I am grumpy.
> LOL!

harold! you are NOT a grumpy man! the good lord told me about you in a vision!
he proclaimed that someday you will be a saint,but he also told me that i was gonna
beat ya to it!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 26, 2016 06:46AM
Mike in CO Wrote:
> goodmore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Personally I very rarely show my finds. I think
> > the last ring I showed was a few years ago
> because
> > it was my first Platinum. I stated on the
> friendly
> > forum numerous times I find the counting of
> silver
> > finds disgusting. The goal of so many silvers a
> > year disgusting. There is only so many silvers
> in
> > the ground. A limited quantity. I think certain
> > people act like gluttons. Like the buffalo
> hunters
> > thinking they could go on forever. And the
> > buffaloes reproduced. Our silver coins are not.
> > The people that show every Mercury Dime in
> their
> > daily post I just skip over. You want to
> impress
> > me? Show me how to get the most out of my
> > detector. Show me how to read a beach. Show me
> > that the hobby means more to you than another
> > Barber dime. People that ask me if I found
> > anything? I show them my trash. I'm a pirate.
> > Never show the treasure.
>
> Eloquent post, Goodmore. smiling smiley

damn straight!..NEVER show the "goodies!"
for all the right reasons!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 26, 2016 06:48AM
iqwozpoom Wrote:
> There's one channel called the silverslingers or
> something like that where a couple detects
> together. They make some good finds but it's out
> in the sticks. The lady gets super excited while
> her husband is more relaxed, it's kinda funny.

i don't believe that's her husband! good friend maybe?
dunno to a certainty,could be mistaken!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 26, 2016 06:51AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> That is one thing about Bill Ladd's
> Video's, I would bet the house his funds are
> legit. Also He has paid His due's and isn't a
> Johnny come lately.
> It's like His T-shirt says "Passion over Profit".

yes bill ladd's legit!..very knowledgable guy!

(h.h!)
j.t.
April 26, 2016 06:58AM
jim tn Wrote:
> I've been down both roads, so to speak, posting
> most of my finds and striving to hit a certain
> silver coin number each year, but have gotten
> pretty much away from doing so of late. No
> particular reason other then it got boring to me
> and highly suspected it had gotten so for others,
> too. Also, I have gotten more into seeking the
> older coin varieties. Don't, however, expect me to
> leave any silver coins in the ground that I may
> come across. For those that feel they should, be
> my guest. I have no problem with others posting
> whatever and all they find. I can elect to look or
> not to. No doubt it is a ego thing with some and
> no doubt, for some they just want to share their
> finds and tales of finding them. This hobby I
> believe is called metal detecting. HH jim tn

awww! c'mon jim!..you love posting!..you want others to see how well you do!
it's a "kick" c'mon! admit it!..frankly,i love seein' the stuff ya find!..i'm glad ya do post!
how are you jim? it's taylor!..i got kicked off by the guvner! a long time ago! we used to chat once in a while!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 26, 2016 06:59AM
doc holiday Wrote:
> One only has to remember who has resided in the
> White House for the past 7.3 years to get the
> "pulse" of the public.

excellent point! well taken!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 26, 2016 09:33AM
jmayrt, Taylor, how are you? Sure I remember. I still enjoy posting a good day or something special on occasion and enjoy seeing others good finds. Merc's and Rosie posts day after day got and get kind of boring..........for all concerned, I suspect. Take care! HH jim tn
April 26, 2016 01:42PM
I don't watch many videos or tv shows about metal detecting so I can't really relate to any criticism of them.

I do like seeing people post pictures of their finds on the forums. I like to look at them. I like to read their posts about how they found them. I find it encouraging and motivating.

I hope someday soon to begin resuming posting pictures of my finds once my internet issues get work out. And my finds are nothing compared to many others. Yet if other's pictures encourage and motivate me, then maybe my pictures will encourage and motivate others.

HH
Mike
April 27, 2016 02:59PM
I love reading posts about finds and looking at bunches of pictures of finds, because it just spurs me on to get out and find my own with even more vigor. When someone is not finding much or their finds drop off for whatever reason might be inclined to make little to do about other people's finds. I'm not bored at finding or looking at other people's finds of Mercury dimes and Rosie dimes. Throw in some silver halves, standing liberty quarters, Washington quarters, war nickels, barbers, relics and some gold and silver rings, I'm happy camper!

tabman
April 27, 2016 03:11PM
I very much enjoy reading about finds, if it includes some detecting information regardless of the detector type. I enjoy feeling the excitement of someone who has to work hard to find a spot, then work hard to get a nice find. I would enjoy VERY much you F75 users speaking up about settings and results so I can apply them to my settings and results. I hope to have enough information soon to give a coherent F75 update which will include a couple pics. Not quite there yet.