Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The question of how long a person has been detecting-- Food for thought

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The question of how long a person has been detecting-- Food for thought
May 10, 2016 04:25AM
I thought I would share some of my thoughts here on this issue.

I see where folks comment on,,"How long they have been detecting".

What does this really mean???

For instance, if I said I had been detecting 10 years--What can be derived from such statement???

Does making this statement actually indicate just how much detecting a person has done.

Let me explain,,,I started detecting in Jan 2011,, so a little over 5 years.

But I am retired,,don't have a full time job.

Could it be possible since I'm not committed to a job,,,I have more time during this slightly over 5 year period to actually detect--- hence I could/ may have more actual detecting time than say for example a person who works full time and states they have been detecting say 12 years???

Next,,what about where a person lives,,,meaning if a person lives where there is loads of snow on average for months out of a year--- would this person actually within their locale be able to detect say less than someone else who lives,,, where the climate is more temperate and has a lot less snow and cold/ frozen ground? An a person living where hotter extreme temps are common,,the same argument.

Next,,I see where some folks quantify their time with a detector in hours. I guess this could be beneficial,,,but what if say a person takes say an Xp Deus (strength is hunting in iron) and actually hunts cleaner pasture for say 100 hours....So would this if they said they had 100 hours on a Deus,,,would this accurately reflect to folks when maybe they are looking for a more credible source on which to base a decision or form an opinion???

And different folks learn at different rates of time,,,so again some folks with 100 hours may have learned less or more than others might.

And lastly,,,probably the most accurate reflection of detector use as far as testing goes,,, I believe it was Mr Thomas Dankowskis, the forum host here,,,who stated he dug I believe 1,000 nails while getting to know the Nokta Gold+ unit and its disc circuit operation.

I posted this to maybe shed more light on this subject. I do know folks come here and read,,, looking for info on different detectors,,and this based on their targets of interest.

Finally,,, I have a question here for those who have been detecting over a longer period. " years wise".

And the question is,,,"If today If I put the first detector you feel you became proficient with in your hands back in the day,,,and I gave you 1 hour to reacquaint yourself with it,,,how proficient would you rate yourself with it after just 1 hour of use???

And a response on a scale of 1 to 10,,, with 10 being super proficient.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 04:47AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: The question of how long a person has been detecting-- Food for thought
May 10, 2016 04:59AM
Does time watching others detect on U-Tube count? >grinning smiley<

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
May 10, 2016 05:03AM
You waited to late LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 10, 2016 05:04AM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does time watching others detect on U-Tube count?
> >grinning smiley<
>
>
> Gonebeepin'

You actually bring up a great point..

Could some of the wetter behind the ears detectorists,,,,actually be more proficient or learned more than their counterparts who began detecting before internet/ you tube age???
Evaluating each after the same fixed period.
May 10, 2016 05:24AM
I have to agree that LEARNING a detector today is much easier than it was back-in-the-day when I was on my own. I jest some about watching U-tube, but it can be a teaching device. Depending on how a U-tube video is recorded (perspective), I can see much of how a hunter has their detector set up, what target sounds they are interested in, how the display is responding, which sounds they ignore, how they go about target retrieval and such. Many of these hunters have a dialog with their watchers as to what they are thinking, why they are doing things in this way vs another way and so on. If the hunter is skilled, it is like me going to detector school.

Gonebeepin'

May 10, 2016 05:36AM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> I have to agree that LEARNING a detector today is
> much easier than it was back-in-the-day when I was
> on my own. I jest some about watching U-tube, but
> it can be a teaching device. Depending on how a
> U-tube video is recorded (perspective), I can see
> much of how a hunter has their detector set up,
> what target sounds they are interested in, how the
> display is responding, which sounds they ignore,
> how they go about target retrieval and such. Many
> of these hunters have a dialog with their watchers
> as to what they are thinking, why they are doing
> things in this way vs another way and so on. If
> the hunter is skilled, it is like me going to
> detector school.
>
> Gonebeepin'

Precisely,,one of the points I'm driving with my post.

Too many folks are finding a lot of good finds,,,percentage wise today vs decades ago,,,and Internet, you tube, GPS,detecting forums, detector simplification, detector weight, etc all play a part.

The envelope has been narrowed greatly.

Besides,,,when you consider a person who upgrades or gets another different machine,,,Doesn't the learning to a degree start over???

We know for example there are no veteran Minelab CTX users or Xp Deus users,,or Nokta Relic detector users--- detectors haven't been out on in the USA long enough to qualify " maybe".

Detector nuances,,,many of them are broadcast today,,, back in the day,,,you had to figure out yourself or have a bud,,if they would share tell you--- learning curve to become proficient faster it seems is the overall outcome.

Granted some folks though--- no matter how much additional outside help they get,,,light bulb never turns on-- some of these folks give up the hobby,,and some keep searching for the detector that they want to be able to use and understand. Sometimes they are successful,,sometimes not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 05:43AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 10, 2016 05:51AM
As for being more proficient, I don't know. There are so many facets to detecting that improve with experience and success. I would say that it is easier today for somebody to get up to a basic level of proficiency than it was back when I started due to online forums like this and having access to U-tube. A person still needs to put in the hours and hours behind the controls digging targets to move up from there.

Gonebeepin'

May 10, 2016 05:56AM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> As for being more proficient, I don't know. There
> are so many facets to detecting that improve with
> experience and success. I would say that it is
> easier today for somebody to get up to a basic
> level of proficiency than it was back when I
> started due to online forums like this and having
> access to U-tube. A person still needs to put in
> the hours and hours behind the controls digging
> targets to move up from there.
>
> Gonebeepin'

I agree wholeheartedly,,,but one's memory can get jogged when detecting based on something they heard, saw, or read on Internet.
In the old days--- at first is was more speculation,,,until more time,,so a pattern or trend could be noted.
Still does have to happen in the field these days,,,but IMO trends/ patterns for some,,,get set faster today.
And yes it does depend on the individual.
May 10, 2016 06:09AM
TNSS Wrote
Too many folks are finding a lot of good finds,,,percentage wise today vs decades ago,,,and Internet, you tube, GPS,detecting forums, detector simplification, detector weight, etc all play a part.

Have to disagree there ..

If you would of seen what came out of the ground 30 years ago it would of blew your mind...I'm afraid it will never be replicated..

I know it hard to understand Now...BUT SERIOUSLY the finds where unreal...you had to go back to the truck to unload on a relic hunt...I did 200 bullets a week on average and at times could reach 500+ on a good camp. a dozen buttons was nothing..Sometimes I could get over 100 civil war buttons a week in a fresh spot.... 3 or 4 plates a year was normal...imagine digging 1000 bullets in one hole...the whole case...saw it done a few times..Whole guns,,swords,,ultra ultra rare confederate buckles..

Back in the day it was jaw dropping..I knew one guy who had Rhode Island Buttons that filled up a 1 gallon can off a camp...found out they were using the coats for carpet in the tent's.

It was a whole other world back then..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 10, 2016 06:26AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> TNSS Wrote
> Too many folks are finding a lot of good
> finds,,,percentage wise today vs decades ago,,,and
> Internet, you tube, GPS,detecting forums, detector
> simplification, detector weight, etc all play a
> part.
>
>
> Have to disagree there ..
>
> If you would of seen what came out of the ground
> 30 years ago it would of blew your mind...I'm
> afraid it will never be replicated..
>
> I know it hard to understand Now...BUT SERIOUSLY
> the finds where unreal...you had to go back to the
> truck to unload on a relic hunt...I did 200
> bullets a week on average and at times could reach
> 500+ on a good camp. a dozen buttons was
> nothing..Sometimes I could get over 100 civil war
> buttons a week in a fresh spot.... 3 or 4 plates a
> year was normal...imagine digging 1000 bullets in
> one hole...the whole case...saw it done a few
> times..Whole guns,,swords,,ultra ultra rare
> confederate buckles..
>
>
> Back in the day it was jaw dropping..I knew one
> guy who had Rhode Island Buttons that filled up a
> 1 gallon can off a camp...found out they were
> using the coats for carpet in the tent's.
>
> It was a whole other world back then..
>
> Keith

Yeah,,but you are talking relics,,what about coins???

And good relics are still being found too.

And I wasn't talking about numbers of finds per se,,,,but percentage of overall detectorist who are finding worthy targets,,be it jewelry, coins or relics.

It would be dumb to think that detector advancement, be it depth, separation,,weight reduction,,other amenities in conjunction with Internet, detecting forums haven't helped a lot of folks progress with detecting and helped their success rate.

I mean back in 1979,,, how did a person learn anything really about a certain model detector and its nuances??? Let me guess,,Treasure Magazines-- don't think so.

And like Ole Goodmore has stated-- ever read a bad review in one????

And the info Tom posts here with his test---- I am sure it has accelerated folks learning with certain models detectors,,,not to mention his other comments especially in responding to questions.

Maybe you too,,and me and quite a few others here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 11:16AM by tnsharpshooter.
Starting Over?
May 10, 2016 07:21AM
As for starting over with each new machine. Generally I would say no. I don't feel like I do. At least not from square zero.

I've used a number of machines over the years Currently my main detector is an e-trac. With most of my machines I have two basic outputs, sound and some sort of meter based on target conductivity. A few of the detectors had only sound. When I pick up a new machine, or borrowed a friends, I am basically learning to associate certain sounds and meter movements or positions to different targets. Some manufactures have come out with audio target ID and various notching schemes to help reduce trash or focus on a very specific target, but I am still dealing with audio and visual indicators. I just need to know how the detector in hand communicates with me.

The biggest step for me was transitioning from my analog CZ-6a to the computerized Minelab XS and the concept of measuring both target conductivity and ferrousness (my new word). I had to move the visual indicator in my mind from a linear scale to an X and Y scale. Also, being computer based, Minelab had a vast array of other adjustments; sound, discrimination patterns, and on and on. It was a lot to take in. Fortunately for me, it wasn't long after that I found some of the metal detecting forums which assisted in learning and understanding what I was dealing with. If I had been solely on my own, I am not sure how far I would have progressed with the XS. It ended up being a great machine for me.

Looking back, I have to say that I wish I would have had the forums back from the beginning. I was the only guy around my neck of the woods using a CZ back in the 90's (both CZ-6 and then CZ-6a) and had nobody with which to compare notes. I dug WAY too many rusty nails because I always hunted with IRON discriminated out. It never occurred to me to hunt listening to the iron signal as well. Knowledge is power.

Interesting topic . . . .

Gonebeepin'

May 10, 2016 07:31AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:

> Yeah,,but you are talking relics,,what about
> coins???
>

TN sharpshooter, Keith is right ... I started detecting in mid 70's with a Metrotech detector ... it had a threshold that went silent over iron and beeped on non-ferious metal.
Wasnt very deep, ergonomically incorrect, and tiresome to use.
That was an upgrade from a BFO that had to be tuned.

Still ... a trip to the local school yard or park that didnt yield a pocket full of silver coins was a bad day.
Indian Head pennies were a bit to deep for that old Metrotech but the new White's CoinMaster solved that.
Gold class rings were found at high schools and every yard had silver coins.
It was very unusual to see anyone else out using a metal detector back then.
No one I knew hunted in the water and boy do I know some old swimming lakes around Indianapolis that are no longer there.
The things that were lost there are forever gone ...... sad smiley
My old neighborhood is now industrial complex and paved over except for a few houses on what is left of Silver Ave.

Today it is hard to find a solid copper penny as the Metal detector industry is pushing for everyone to go treasure hunting.
Even the cheap Wal-Mart specials can find metal deeper with real discrimination.
School yards are nothing but clad coins and brass pencil eraser bands.
Parks are totally hunted out.
Only the beach and water hunting offers a hint of what it was like in the early and mid 70's ... the good old days!
May 10, 2016 09:38AM
David you've got the guy that can't see light looking at the sun, the, I've been doing this 28 yrs. I know what I'm talking about guy! Dumbass then and nothing has changed, still a dumbass. Then you have the Bass Pro guy. He likes to fish a couple times a year. He buy's a big ole Ranger boat, best there is. Big pretty truck to pull that thing with. Buys tons of tackle and hit's the lake and he is a Bass pro! Don't doubt him, he knows what he's talking about, been doing it a month, bass pro thing, but looks like one per the equipment he has. That reminds me I resurrected a post yesterday, this applies a lot.......................
May 10, 2016 10:23AM
Total hours/time in the field, at the test bed and reading or watching how to vids.....plus.... how well the persons mind puts together all the info. The most important, is the time in the field. Like an apprenticeship in a trade.....most learning is hands on. Hands on tends to stick in the brain better.

When you try to teach a person that is new, you'll realize how much you do know. Thing is, giving them all the information at once isn't beneficial and mixing it with field work helps the learning process.

What blows my mind is....there IS a hell of a lot to know and learn about metal detecting....it can go on and on if you let it.
Jeb
May 10, 2016 12:02PM
Would you say a Cop with 40 years experience is , " more proficient ,or less proficient " than a Cop with 5 years experience on the streets ?
There is no substitute or quick fix for beating long term experience. And the longer experience you can put under your belt ,the more knowledgeable you usually become.It has to be noted though humans are only human and there could of course be the odd occasion where there are exceptions to the rule there`s no denighing that , but the norm is ,lengthy experience is paramount to 5 minute wiz kids who`ll have a detector for a short period of time and next thing they are arguing the toss with a veteran detectorist who`s experience is usually older than they are . See it happening regular on the MD forums. Respect and humbleness is not a sin although todays youngsters could do with a reminder of that. Experience is always King.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 12:04PM by Jeb.
May 10, 2016 12:10PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Total hours/time in the field, at the test bed and
> reading or watching how to vids.....plus.... how
> well the persons mind puts together all the info.
> The most important, is the time in the field. Like
> an apprenticeship in a trade.....most learning is
> hands on. Hands on tends to stick in the brain
> better.
>
> When you try to teach a person that is new, you'll
> realize how much you do know. Thing is, giving
> them all the information at once isn't beneficial
> and mixing it with field work helps the learning
> process.
>
> What blows my mind is....there IS a hell of a lot
> to know and learn about metal detecting....it can
> go on and on if you let it.

+1 That's it in a nutshell.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
May 10, 2016 12:18PM
Jeb Wrote:
> Would you say a Cop with 40 years experience is ,
> " more proficient ,or less proficient " than a Cop
> with 5 years experience on the streets ?
> There is no substitute or quick fix for beating
> long term experience. And the longer experience
> you can put under your belt ,the more
> knowledgeable you usually become.It has to be
> noted though humans are only human and there could
> of course be the odd occasion where there are
> exceptions to the rule there`s no denighing that ,
> but the norm is ,lengthy experience is paramount
> to 5 minute wiz kids who`ll have a detector for a
> short period of time and next thing they are
> arguing the toss with a veteran detectorist who`s
> experience is usually older than they are . See
> it happening regular on the MD forums. Respect and
> humbleness is not a sin although todays youngsters
> could do with a reminder of that. Experience is
> always King.

The answer to your question would depend...Are both individuals actually full time employed police officers??

You see metal detecting,,,who here is a full time employed detectorist,, and how long have they been such???

Consider the following,,,you see the Fishing shows on TV,,,most of these folks get sponsored and get paid to fish--- it is their career ( full time).

Now working folks do watch these shows,, and they certainly fish,,and they can even go out and catch a big fish--- but these same working folks don't have generally the experience the career fisherman does.

I saw the same thing when I played darts,,,the sponsored professionals seemed to win moreso than the amateur who had limited time to practice due to other commitments.
But sometimes these working folks would sneak in and post a win,,or beat one of the sponsored full time dedicated dart throwers.

Also I should point out,,,some folks are just pure naturals when it comes to different tasks at hand.
I have seen it with school work and grades,,,I saw it with sports,,hobbies,,vocational careers.

Time of actually doing something may not paint the true overall pic all the time--- to judge overall best quality, quantity, process, understanding, application etc..

A little additional info that may fit here.

I had a psychology teacher in high school,,,who was demoted from position as principal-- due to new state requirement needing a Masters Degree to hold the position.

He was before being removed,,a principal for 36 years.

IQ was the subject one day in our psychology class,,,and here is some thing the teacher told me. Over all 36 years of him being principal,,he would look at each students evidently IQ test they took at around 7 years old,,,,he would monitor and take notice of just how the students would finish grade point average wise when they were seniors.

Of all 36 years a looking at this info,,,how many times was the person noted as having the highest IQ at around 7 years old--- was this person ever the Class Valedictorian??? The answer is at no time did this happen,,,actually he discovered most times the person with the highest IQ,,generally was overall a strong B student.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 12:30PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 10, 2016 01:07PM
Like anything else, it depends on the motivattion and interests and personality. What is the detectorist trying to get out of the hobby? Just something to do on an occassional Saturday afternoon or are they seriously studying every nuance of detecting in order to master their machine? Do they have the patience that it takes to stick with a machine long enough to really learn what the machine is capable of accomplishing? Are they observant enough to analyze every detail of an audible signal. Do they have the perseverence to dig 1000 nails to figure out their machine? Are they interested enough to read 10,000 posts or watch 1000 videos to try and glean nuggets of information from others that may help them improve their skills? As you pointed out, strictly comparing years in the hobby really means little. I started detecting in 1970. So I could say that I have been detecting for 46 years. However, there were large blocks of time when I did not detect. Reality is that I have probably detected about 6-7 years in that time period. At the same time, I am very motivated to learn everything I can about my machine and how I can improve my skills. So, no, years detecting doesn't really mean much by itself.
Jeb
May 10, 2016 01:54PM
tnsharpshooter I`d say you`ve already made up your mind on this issue and no amount of other peoples views are going to alter your way of looking at the questions you first posted, because when anyone gives you their reasons to your questions, you immediately counter the answers with .....what if `s and ah buts . We could go on and on till the cows come home with that outlook on the discussion .
May 10, 2016 02:02PM
Jeb Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter I`d say you`ve already made up your
> mind on this issue and no amount of other peoples
> views are going to alter your way of looking at
> the questions you first posted, because when
> anyone gives you their reasons to your questions,
> you immediately counter the answers with
> .....what if `s and ah buts . We could go on and
> on till the cows come home with that outlook on
> the discussion .

You are correct. Time,,I mean actual time doing something.
Time can't be bought,,it is a scientific measurement.

Seems to me it would mean something different most times,,,if say a doctor has been practicing 40 years vs a person with a full time job besides detecting,,who say they have been detecting for 40 years.

I don't think this train of thought is " out there" like Pluto.

And let's not forget,,,even if we assume say a person with a full time job other than detecting could metal detect say 8 hours after work. What about the person's attention span,,,could they be tired and as such their actual hours detecting,,not be as learning.

Ever been behind the wheel of an auto for longer periods--- have you seen your alertiveness decrease, for example...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 02:15PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 10, 2016 02:09PM
I think judging someone by years detected isn't a terrible way to gauge their experience. Not sure there is an easier way to really judge it unless we have time to explain our experience. But yea, someone with 1 year experience can know a lot more than someone with 10. But the year marker is helpful. There are so many variables that go into it though for example, my experience:

I have been detecting for 3 years. I only hunt beaches and I live at the beach. I only hunt from about april-august due to work and family responsibilities. The summer is much more relaxed for me workwise so I can actually get out there. I feel like I know the CZ21 very well for my area and really have it dialed down to get as much out of it I can. However I am just learning the whites DF and am a beginner on that machine.I have read clive's books but just haven't put in the time on it quite yet. I feel I know the beaches really well for my area and I know them pretty well from NC-NJ because I have lived and surfed my whole life at these beaches. I am a surfer so when I am not detecting I am in the water learning the tides, waves, ocean, weather, etc. I have been studying the beach and ocean my whole life of 37 yrs. I also have read a lot about detectors and their technology. A lot of that is from this site. I wouldn't say I am a beginner but I am definitely not an expert either. I have a lot to learn but in my 3 yrs detecting I feel like I know east coast beach hunting pretty well. I meet some guys out there detecting that don't know anything and ask my tons of questions and then there are guys out there in my area that can do circles around me with the amount of knowledge they have and they are usually very helpful when I see them out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 02:10PM by adamBomb.
May 10, 2016 02:28PM
Too many variables but awful lot of good points brought up....I will add some guys are born for the hobby and just catch on quickly and longevity in years and varied experience all come into play....excellent original post and varied opinions for sure...
Jeb
May 10, 2016 03:17PM
Yes I`d agree the original post has some very good points,but as Dan-Pa said, too many variables to bring anywhere near conclusion .
Maybe its best we just get out and detect without questioning ,otherwise it takes the "fun" out of the hobby if we get too deep into the .....who`s smarter than who ,because at the end of the day, nobody actually cares when they're swinging their detector.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 03:19PM by Jeb.
May 10, 2016 03:20PM
Even the coins back then ..and there was a lot of coins hunters getting there shares

I had a buddy who loved coins back in the the day and I would go with him sometimes to hunt coins..

Parks and yards back then...We ran old blue box whites,,,we could cherry pick silver all day ...not just the dimes dimes like most found today but quarters and even a halve every so often..We would compete from one spot to the other..the amount of silver we could pull in a day back then would be in the dozens a piece and we may do 3 or 4 a day and each yard would net us 10 or more pieces of silver..and we were just going by accurate I.D.'s..

once or twice I remember me and him pulling over 100 silver in a day in the 80's..we could cover a paper plate with all the silver coins quite a few outings between us and we really were just cherry picking..

we didn't worry about frequency or coils or anything we just bought detectors and dug targets..

All the stuff You see us doing now is out of necessity to get more..I for one like High Freq tight coils bleedy blendy audio exact tone break etc like I've talked about for years on here but out of Necessity to get some more out of sites we've beat on for years..

I've been lucky enough to see site full of finds and depleted of finds..that was the era I came through late 70s till now...the 80s were amazing detectors got very good disc circuits and I.D.'s and we dug till our hearts content..

I mainly hunt now for Sport and the challenge...as the sites I hunt are seriously depleted of even hard to locate targets..

I can also answer another question you have asked..

Ive for the last 30 years worked only half the year at a time in increments...there was a stretch there for about 20 years or so I hunted over 40+ hours a week for those years I know as I kept up with it..my wife did too...sometimes even 60 hours was being done on good hot sites...And yes I would hunt on Christmas day and thanksgiving and such ..l know awful to do.

over the last decade I've dropped back to about 20 hours a week on average ..unless I'm testing and I may go on marathon hunts even way up into the night ..sometimes I'm hunting at 2 or 3 am to meet a deadline.

Saturday for instance I hunted 14 hours..Sunday 5 Monday 4 and today will be a good 6 hours day ..I did two this morning after the loader operators leave I'll do 4 more tonight..

I Know I've hunted 10s of thousands of hours in my life...Not sure if that's good or bad..but nothing replaces field time ..

When I was in my teens and 20s I hunted every day ..even the days I worked...I never got tired..LOL ..

Wish I knew what happened to my logs..I used to log all hunts even the weather..hours hunted and how many of each item found and on what site...

I actually Knew guys back then also who Hunted for living.Yes they didn't work they hunted and sold the finds and made a decent living at it..But again times were different back then..

and by the way I dont believe theres a such thing as a Metal detecting Expert...

Just people who have alot of field time..Some more than other's...Nothing replaces field time..

the worst thing in the world is to have a EGO and be a detectorist they don't mix well..You have to be humbled at some point to truly appreciate detecting..

Seems we also have a new type detectorist in the last few years a well informed but low field time detectorist...They have the Knowledge of a Veteran but low experience...the internet has created that too..

Just get out and hunt all you can,, its priceless and free..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 03:27PM by Keith Southern.
Jeb
May 10, 2016 03:49PM
I agree Keith . More `Metalin" is whats needed .grinning smiley
May 10, 2016 04:50PM
I starting this thread was not to target any one particular person(s) or groups of people,,,but we a humans sometimes take things for face value,,,and we don't realize it maybe.

I joined this forum,,,was never a lurker as some have claimed.

I could have been a lurker,, I guess,,and metal detected with numerous machines,,and popped on here and could have declared years of experience--- and possibly/ probably no one would have been the wiser.

I am an honest person,,have hunted with I think 4 persons with significantly more experience than myself.. I did enjoy myself,,and received compliments and at the end of the day was pleased with what I found.

Maybe I am a low hour detectorist,,,I was at one time a low hour pool player, and dart player,,as well as a low hour avionics technician--- but I didn't let my being low hours prevent me from accepting challenges, and be all I could be.

I don't know all folks who frequent this forum,,have met a few,, and some folks here are more limited to what they post with hunts and certain models detectors....But I think I can say this with reasonable certainty,,,,I believe I would be considered a high hour Deus user here,,,Lawrenzo probably would be too,,but his Racer has stole some of his detecting time.

So I can live with being a high hour Deus user-- and low hour everything else.

The relics and coins, and junk I dig,,,funny thing is they don't ask me how long field time wise I have before I put my finds in my pouch after I dig...lol
May 10, 2016 06:03PM
I enjoy detecting but I never put in the hours that the veteran detectorists have. I bought my first machine in the 80's and have been in and out of the hobby (I have to many hobbies as it is). Back then all I could do was read the instructions and hope I set everything right and go hunting. It was fun and I made some decent finds

The internet actually re-newed my interest in the hobby about 10 or so years ago but I wish it happened earlier.

There are so many sites that I kick myself for not checking out when I had the chance and now they are gone or laws have been put in place preventing detecting.

P.S. You tube really does cut down on the learning curve and sometimes gets me motivated to get off my butt and go detecting when I see guys making great finds.

HH
John
May 10, 2016 06:28PM
Well it boils down to: Is the person swinging the detector in learning mode or detecting mode(brain locked into just swinging away). I mean you can be in detecting mode thinking you know all there is to know for ten years. I find myself having to switch between modes because I get so comfortable in detecting mode that I zone. So to use the cop analogy, a cop ten years doing paper work has less experience than a cop with 2 years on the street,
May 10, 2016 06:42PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Well it boils down to: Is the person swinging the
> detector in learning mode or detecting mode(brain
> locked into just swinging away). I mean you can be
> in detecting mode thinking you know all there is
> to know for ten years. I find myself having to
> switch between modes because I get so comfortable
> in detecting mode that I zone. So to use the cop
> analogy, a cop ten years doing paper work has lesson
> experience than a cop with 2 years on the street,

Pretty good thought process and analogy,,,but there can be exceptions,,,remember the Clint Eastwood movie,, " The Enforcer"...

And not to get into politics here too deep,,,but it seems we as Americans when choosing a candidate will have to decide---- and this idea partly being talked about here it seems will have to be weighed by at least some.

Good discussions can make a person think,,and there is nothing wrong with thinking.

I myself,, I try and guard against just doing one style of hunting-- say just coins, or just relics.
I feel a person can actually trap themselves if they are not careful,,,and changing sites, strategies, and overall targets of interest,,,keeps the sport/ hobby less boring and the mind sharper.

Here is an example of where I " the supposed low hour detectorist" entered into a thread talking about etrac and the thunking sound.

One gent popped in,,with significant etrac experience,,,and said 99% of the targets that etrac makes thunking sound on and high tone are iron...
When I saw that I remembered my days with Etrac,,,and ask him,," what about the targets that just make the thunking sound and no higher tone??
He said he had never heard any such targets.

But later did say,,he would start paying more attention.

So,,a low hour detectorists actually got this gent thinking.

What about this,,,I stated using 3 tone on CoRe unit and Racer one,, 3 tone in heavy nails iron-- they way to go,,,but was corrected by someone--- for them to later admit months later,,and seems agree with me.

Or what about,,when I asked if a smaller coil could be made for Deus,,,seems some folks with this high field time,,said no,,or if it was done would be extremely depth limited,,but guess what is coming. Jury is still out here though,,we'll see.

This programmable/ update able detector thing I've mentioned--- watch what happens more in the future.

A person can have good vision,,yet have lower hours--- I always say 2 heads better than one..

I'll take a good tip from anyone,,no matter their experience-- might help me.
And if the tip don't help,,,there is always tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 07:06PM by tnsharpshooter.
Jeb
May 10, 2016 06:47PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Well it boils down to: Is the person swinging the
> detector in learning mode or detecting mode(brain
> locked into just swinging away). I mean you can be
> in detecting mode thinking you know all there is
> to know for ten years. I find myself having to
> switch between modes because I get so comfortable
> in detecting mode that I zone. So to use the cop
> analogy, a cop ten years doing paper work has less
> experience than a cop with 2 years on the street,

It could be worth noticing I did purposely reference in one of my recent posts ,....>>>>
"Would you say a Cop with 40 years experience is , " more proficient ,or less proficient " than a Cop with 5 years experience on the streets ?
But I forgot to add " on the Streets" AFTER 40 years experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 06:50PM by Jeb.