Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sometimes the best looking sites are not what they seem

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sometimes the best looking sites are not what they seem
May 13, 2016 02:23AM
I Knew this spot was overgrown for years and could never really hunt it..

The Other day they clear cut the wood and exposed it a little better..

Well by the looks of it it was a thing of beauty..

My mind was already racing...Confederate cavalry pulled in here surely....especially with a spring head right beside the house.And a deep road bed coming up to it..and very close to sites that have produced war relics for me..Where's my spur I thought!!??

But as with alot of the Still standing Chimneys its just not really old enough to produce Civil War Relics...

I would date that spot to about 1910.. and the poor guy couldn't even muster up a a coin to loose.

Even this old Button was turned into a two holer..

Guess the back fell out and they still put it to use..

Still speak's volume though about the poor South and I would assume sharecropper shack..

I wonder how much the man had to save to buy this old silver plated Buckle.??

date revealed 1921..

there was also the usual entertainment pieces..Like harmonica reeds..And drawer hardware and such..

So while it was no go for Civil War relics it still part of the American South..And you cant deny its still history lost..

Used the F19 on it and the DEUS..

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Sometimes the best looking sites are not what they seem
May 13, 2016 02:28AM
Nice that whoever did the clear cut left it standing. Maybe when they replant they'll do the same and let it stand. Cool looking chimney for sure.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
May 13, 2016 02:39AM
Cool find/s Keith

The chimney is a find in/of itself!
May 13, 2016 02:42AM
I had a hunt like that..went back in the winter after a lot of days of rain. The iron came alive and I started to find relics because I dug the iron. Found buckles and such this year went back and found a cool old lock from the 1800s. So this winter going back again. Had hunted it for a few years in the dry season now its all about the iron.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 13, 2016 02:51AM
Yes its amazing they did not tear down the Chimney..

I try to photo what I can and keep a log of them ..it may not make it long..

Whats also awful if you follow that road out of that house and back across a creek there was an old fell down chimney that was older..1850s...it produced Civil war relics on a regular basis..it wasn't hunted to death...Well last year they went in to cut wood like they have probably a half dozen times in the last 100 years..and this time they decide to pit on top of the house...so they cleared out right were the chimney set and piled red clay on top of the house site..

it set there for 160 years and they destroyed it in one morning..

No telling what's lost on that site..it was just starting to get interesting..I had worked on getting alot of the big stuff out of there and the goodies were starting to show up..then presto gone ..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 13, 2016 03:23AM
Nice finds Keith.

Site seems similar to a lot of what I hunt-- some do surprise me.
This one site,,I hunted numerous times,,on the third trip, out poped old IH, 1868 nickel, and 1910 wheathead.

I keep going back to this site ocassionally-- I'm stubborn,,thinking something else must be there.
One of those back up sites I use...
May 13, 2016 03:43AM
Sounds like every sight I find! I go in thinking: This is gonna be great!

I come out thinking: Can't believe I got skunked again, LOL.

I'm over in Bama, and I can relate to digging up relics from the poor "old" South. A lot of these old houses that are gone now were really poor folks. They didn't lose much of interest it seems.

One thing about my area, is most of the old house sites are on farmland. And every time the old farmers tore down a house, it became a trash dump from then on. So most of my hunting is done on the outskirts of where the house once stood. Most places there is a 3-4 inch deep layer of solid tin cans and ferrous trash. Ain't no hunting in that..

Enjoyed your post, Keith. Sounds a lot like how most all my hunts turn out! smileys with beer
May 13, 2016 03:46AM
I think if you dig iron you will find some stuff you missed

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

May 13, 2016 03:56AM
There are lots of places like that where you can do some privy digging. Probably a bottle dump around there too.

HH
John
May 13, 2016 06:21AM
I hear you 100% about sites looking far better then they turn out to be, that's more the norm than the exception in my experience.
May 13, 2016 03:36PM
Sometimes the site of the home is not where the finds are that happens to me in the Gold Country you have to spread out look for slight hills with a good vantage point and hit the creeks they needed water for cooking and for the animals and everything else.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

May 13, 2016 04:34PM
I am a slow learner, but when Ozzie and I hunt a place together, what I should do is ask him where is plans to hunt, then hunt that spot instead of the area of the spot I was going to hunt....It is an almost sure way to find old silver coins.

just ribbin ya Oz
May 13, 2016 04:43PM
Here in pa, site transition from 1930's ball field, 1950's dump, 1980's ball field. Also, there were two old drive-in movies one is a paved over beer store, the other is a bunch of new homes. They don't see the value in history.
May 13, 2016 09:13PM
Ha,....lol,,,, I always go to the area that you don't choose, cause most of the places we hunt are your permissions. You are a giant good luck charm....next time could you wear a rabbit skin hat with feet attached?....make ya more potent. lol.

Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a slow learner, but when Ozzie and I hunt a
> place together, what I should do is ask him where
> is plans to hunt, then hunt that spot instead of
> the area of the spot I was going to hunt....It is
> an almost sure way to find old silver coins.
>
>
> just ribbin ya Oz
May 13, 2016 10:27PM
Lets face it if it looks good and access is there bet your boots its been hit a few times before....at least I my neck of the woods.
May 13, 2016 11:47PM
appreciate all the replies and good viable thinking..

There's a BIG clue in the pic of the chimney that caught my attention soon after I got to hunting..

See it???

This place has been overgrown in wysteria for ever ,,I've never been able to get in and swing...just was a jungle ..

After a few hours on the site I developed a decent time frame for the house..1910 -1915 earliest should be about right I feel from the glass and pottery and wire nails...No cut nails..

earliest glass was still machine glass no Mouth blown..

Now its not what I'm after by no means for my Civil War pursuit ..BUT it still does not mean I should not be in reverence of the site all the same..

What can I gather from this site ..RESPECT for the humans that lived here...And I'm quite sure by the Finds they lived a Hard Scrabble life..

The type life My Family lived here in the rural south Post Civil War ..they say the Southern farmers never really Knew there was a depression as nothing changed for them in 29..

I can tell by the Simple Button ...If you go to the trouble to take a Two piece button and add sew holes to it then you needed that button awful bad after the shank fell off it..

I've seen it done in Civil war sites from Poor Rebels soldiers...But to see it done in a 1900's site just lets me know POOR POOR fella..They reused every scrap..

I can sit back and envision this house I've seen them before like this vertical rough cut pine for siding ,,With tin roof..YES my Gosh there's tin in in here off the roof in abundance..

Small house maybe 2 rooms if that ...well hole close to the house probably off the back porch it seems..

Lack of large iron...just Plow points were the large iron and the hinges off the door..No clothing Irons no kettles or skillit's..Not even an Axe..

or Hoe.. those foik used what they had.probably took it with them when they moved on..

I can envision it Surely a Mule for plowing.. and a Milk cow and MAYBE a hog some times..few chickens running around..

Dirt poor and barely surviving...Most of my family lived this type life and this type house in the yesteryear..dirt poor farmers..

No coins to drop because they didn't have a coin to drop..

You lived from bartering...you went to the mill had your corn ground then they kept some for the grinding is how you paid for that because you had to have ground corn.....

My grandad told me they used very little money but did alot of trading and getting by...

No one hardly ever ate meat even my dad told me...just corn pinto beans sweet potatoes and corn bread..and worked all day doing chores to help his dad ...only occasionally getting to go to school..

So yes I can see this house very well and the trinkets I dug paint a Vivid picture of the Poor South..

Don't take your finds for granted even if there not the right finds your after.. sit back and study things a bit..this is the true essence of detecting..anything can be something..

because our ancestors lived and worked and died on little to nothing and we would not be here if they had gave up..

We've got it made ..

We worry over detectors LOL like it is the most important thing in the world..

There's a grave yard up the road form Here a ways same county..

There's a Little Girl buried in that Grave yard who Died in the Civil War..

Heres some history of how she died..

William Twilley was born in 1825 and died in 1911. He was a Sergeant in the Georgia Cavalry, 9th Battalion, Company F.

While William was away at war, his daughter Rosanna, age 11, was seriously burned when her dress caught fire. I believe from stumbling into the fire place or just being to close. She was unable to eat and survived on milk. One report states that when seeing the child’s condition, a Confederate Officer said that William’s services was need more at home taking care of his family and sent for him. I’m not sure if he made it home before she died or not. When Sherman marched through, his Soldiers killed the cow and took only the liver. With the cow dead, there was no source of milk and Rosanna died of starvation.

So to think of all the hardships that people have endured before us makes each piece we find that much more sacred even if to me and all of us at times it seems like simple nothing..

every piece we find has a story behind it no matter the find ..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 14, 2016 02:19AM
Keith,......And here I sit on my laptop computer.
May 14, 2016 02:20AM
All I gotta say is that smokestack sure is pretty!
May 14, 2016 03:38PM

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

There's a grave yard up the road form Here a ways, same county..

There's a Little Girl buried in that Grave yard who Died in the Civil War..

Heres some history of how she died. William Twilley was born in 1825 and died in 1911. He was a Sergeant in the Georgia Cavalry, 9th Battalion, Company F. While William was away at war, his daughter Rosanna, age 11, was seriously burned when her dress caught fire. I believe from stumbling into the fire place or just being to close. She was unable to eat and survived on milk. One report states that when seeing the child’s condition, a Confederate Officer said that William’s services was need more at home taking care of his family and sent for him. I’m not sure if he made it home before she died or not. When Sherman marched through, his Soldiers killed the cow and took only the liver. With the cow dead, there was no source of milk and Rosanna died of starvation. So to think of all the hardships that people have endured before us makes each piece we find that much more sacred even if to me and all of us at times it seems like simple nothing. every piece we find has a story behind it no matter the find ..

Keith

Man - that's a horrible story sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2016 03:40PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
May 15, 2016 01:56AM
My dad was born Feb.1910 and mom sept.1917 and they still used mule and wagon for travel and farmed 96 acres of cotton with a mule,they said the depression is just something they heard about. Made no difference in their lives,,ww2 brought the WPA and daddy said he made the most money ever,.25 cent a day.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.