Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

wonder why not many Nokta Relic videos/reviews showing up?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wonder why not many Nokta Relic videos/reviews showing up?
May 13, 2016 05:08PM
I'm a bit curious why we are not seeing bunches of reviews and videos of the Nokta FORS Relic detector. Keith and MRH (Wayne) of this forum have one video each. Deep Digger Dan has a glowing review/air test video in foreign English <g>, and then there are a couple more, one in German and one in ?. C'mon, Keith and Wayne, looks like it's up to the two of you to get those videos made and uploaded.

I've not had a lot of time with mine, but enough to have some questions:

I believe Keith recommends setting iMask on zero, but isn't its function to reduce falsing and wrap-around high tones on iron? Seems there ought to be a more useful setting than zero.

I find a lot of high tone signals that sound good and clean/crisp/round that go low, sometimes with some breaking-up, when the target is out of the hole, ie, nearer the surface but not yet in hand. I'm talking 60s thru 80s that go 20s-30s to 40s-50s.
What's up with that?

Your bullets did sound good in your video, Keith, but I'd like to see a video searching for non ferrous amongst iron; or oldies amongst shotgun hulls and modern bullets. Good targets out of (aluminum) can slaw.

Right now I have the sense that the Racer is more intelligible audibly than the Relic is. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: wonder why not many Nokta Relic videos/reviews showing up?
May 13, 2016 07:47PM
Video making (filming) and trying to get to grips with a New machine can conflict: time, conditions, finds, weather etc.
I'm currently testing an Ace 4i but today and yesterday [ chose not to film ] cos I just wanted "to detect"
I've plenty of video from other days.
It's time consuming and sometimes it's difficult and one mightn't be in the mood.
And, there are others who [ expect ] videos from others who do damn all themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 07:52PM by Des D.
May 13, 2016 09:01PM
I was thinking the same thing, think would be a few more. They are hard and time consuming to do tho.
May 13, 2016 09:37PM
I am enjoying the relic so far. I use it only with the small coil in and around lots of sage brush, couldn't imagine how to make videos while fighting all the brush and stuff. Lol
May 13, 2016 10:11PM
Wayne,

if I made a video, it would have too much swearing!
Like you, I am having way too much high tone falsing at all settings & modes.

DI2 is the most well behaved at Imask of 4 but still bad compared to other detectors like the Gold Racer. I have mineralized ground and I don't think the Relic can handle it. I plan on buying a Racer 2 and compare to the Relic in my ground.

-Don
May 13, 2016 10:16PM
I disliked mine so much I traded it for a 12x15 DD coil for the GPX and a pair of waterproof headphones for the MX Sport. Do the math on that $ loss. Interest in mine when I had it for sale was non existent. I had mine as low as $450. All I had were people wanting to know what I didn't like about it and after I told them, they thanked me and made other purchases.
May 13, 2016 10:25PM
The machine has the feeling of being "half-baked" and needs the bugs worked out. I consider it $700 flushed down the toilet. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Fors Relic+ released in the future fixing the problems. It's also a possibility that Nokta used some bad or cheap internal components and there are good & bad machines out there. I have had 2 Relic units and both have been crap. I am sure the field testers were given "hand picked" hot machines from Nokta.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 10:27PM by Don71.
May 13, 2016 10:39PM
I like what I see in the Deep Tech Vista Warrior, but their forum is really a big let down, maybe a single post every 3-5 days and what videos their are, only Keith runs it through its paces...$700.00 for a unknown detector, no thank you.
May 13, 2016 11:01PM
I think why theres not alot fo info on the Relic is its a Specialty machine and not alot of people will buy them for what they are..

BUT if you like to dig relics and Know what to expect form a High gain sparky unit in iron it will do very well...

Its Alot of power in your hands and to be honest that was one of the things I was on the fence about..was pushing it hotter..But they did and to be honest its a Tool and it has to be used at the right spots..

Its a Fors Gold with a few options added ..that's it..

Its not a depth demon but its a great tool in thick iron with that 5 coil especially ..

the language is there but eyes MOST people will like the Racers and CoRe and such better as its more refined and Not as Amped up..once you see it pull some items in thick iron though you'll appreciate it..

Its the type unit you have to know what your going to use it for then use it for that...

Stay out of two tone in tin sites.. and even at times 3 tone wont hunt the tin if its saturated tin..

These are site machines alot like the Deeptechs in that in the right site it will amaze yuo in the worng site in will bother you..

That's why I stated its a relic Unit in the Purest sense..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 13, 2016 11:18PM
I run my Deus with 18khz, full tones, 0 disc, -1 silencer, sense at 93. The Deus is very busy at these settings and the Relic reminds me of it but with a small coil. Really liking it, finding lots of good stuff
May 13, 2016 11:30PM
So the testers are sent "HOT" units to test - being a tester Keith have you found that statement to be accurate or just hype?
May 13, 2016 11:46PM
I had a hot one. Was hitting my 10" dime in 2 tone. I lost all confidence in it in the iron. Falsing constantly. Then went thru an area with the 5" coil in 3 tone and then went thru with my Teon and. 8" coil. That's when I lost confidence in it and traded for an updated mx sport.

Rick
May 14, 2016 12:12AM
LOL Being a tester you see all kind of inadequacies..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 14, 2016 12:45AM
I don't have a relic but ran a gold+ for a while. Nice sparky machine that would pull the stuff out of the ground for me. All it needed was 3 tone and it would be great. Well we got it! I'll pick one up eventually. Should have grabbed Daniels. What a lot of people don't understand if you ask me is the CoRe when it came on the scene was SPARKY, but boy it would open up the dirt. Since then with several machines being released I've seen a lot of people who want these machines to almost act like a Minelab, but want em to pull the goods. That ain't happening and that's why the Turkish machines are so good to me. Man I love a sparking/falsing nail sound, it let's you know it's a nail? Big difference in sound from a good target. The TID on all these machines jumps all around because it sees so much more in the ground, but that's very telling too. Put that Minelab in that same spot lol. I really think if people used them and let the machines teach them they would see what they are capable of.
May 14, 2016 01:04AM
Jack,

Buy one and see how it works vs. the other models.
I am putting mine up for sale if Kellyco doesn't take it back.
I am calling them on Monday. I can't use this machine. I already wasted a lot of time on it. Nails sound sweet like coins. My F19 and Gold Racer are much better at least in my ground.

-Don
May 14, 2016 01:56AM
The FR is a great machine IF used properly and at the proper sites.

Like Keith said = it's a specialty machine (niche) type machine that you use WHEN needed and WHERE needed (not just any/every where).

These machines ain't no joke, are not for "everyone" and are souped up hot rods NOT for the faint of heart/those who expect it's just going to be another F19/goldbug or Deus/etc running fairly quiet and/or expects that it won't false on nails here & there.

These things are so hot they pick up on the mineral in the ground itself and report it = you can even hear the ground literally sizzle/crackle/pop as you walk/swing along!

Install 5" coil - head into the WORST iron infested site you've ever encountered and HOLD ON!

The 2nd trip out with mine I dug an 1848 Largie in the nastiest iron I've ever been in AFTER just a week earlier I had sifted it with the Deus w/9" coil and CTX w/6" coil and missed that target with BOTH machines as I know for a fact I covered the exact ground over and over several times with both of those units (but low and behold) = the FR sniffed that coin out among that iron like nobodies business grinning smiley

Anyone that thinks the FR is an "unfinished unit" should try the Fors Gold+ once! You'd BEG to have an FR in your hands after a few field trips out with that machine!

I know MINE is staying rgt here in the line up and will be with me on all outings for "just in case" I need it grinning smiley
May 14, 2016 02:07AM
Michigan RH,

Where does your Ground Balance come in at?

I haven't found any site I can use this machine at yet.
I have been detecting for the past 9 years using all different machines so I am not a newbie.
Either there are lemon Relics floating around or it doesn't work in certain high mineral ground.

I have had two Relic machines.
One would air test 3" less on a nickel or quarter than the other using the same coil using the same settings.
Right there, that is huge difference and an inconsistency in quality.

-Don
May 14, 2016 02:08AM
These posts remind me of when the f75 came into being.....you either loved it or hated it.
May 14, 2016 02:16AM
Some times things just aren't meant to be seems like for some. Kinda like this picture I took last night...
May 14, 2016 02:21AM
Don71 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Michigan RH,
>
> Where does your Ground Balance come in at?
>
> I haven't found any site I can use this machine at
> yet.
> I have been detecting for the past 9 years using
> all different machines so I am not a newbie.
> Either there are lemon Relics floating around or
> it doesn't work in certain high mineral ground.
>
>
> I have had two Relic machines.
> One would air test 3" less on a nickel or quarter
> than the other using the same coil using the same
> settings.
> Right there, that is huge difference and an
> inconsistency in quality.
>
> -Don

Usually between 67 and 72ish although on one site I was on it GB in the low 80s --- we have a variety of soil/s here in Michigan --- even just a few 100 yrds apart sometimes
May 14, 2016 02:32AM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> Some times things just aren't meant to be seems
> like for some. Kinda like this picture I took last
> night...
> [i29.photobucket.com]
> obile%20Uploads/20160512_204546_zps2hm7nfxj.jpg

If you want some entertainment, sit that cricket box out in the yard and wait for a mockingbird to come by. He will hop in and eat one and hop back out. I've watched em eat a whole tube of crickets like that, one at a time. Yeah, I had that much time on my hands at one point in life LOL.grinning smiley
May 14, 2016 02:32AM
Thanks, my soil is ground balancing between 78-85. Usually in the mid-eighties. I had one site that went at 86-87.

-Don
May 14, 2016 02:37AM
I think something needs to be said here,,granted I have not ran Nokta Relic detector,,but have run Nokta CoRe and Makro Racer,,,this ground balance number that is being asked about.

I have reviewed both manuals for CoRe unit and Relic unit,,,the ground balance number I don't think here is a true measure of ground minerals.

Case in point my CoRe unit would GB at 58 here where I live-- not a very high " ground phase number" , but according to Makro Racer and Fisher F75s mineralization graphs,,this particular soil is definitely not mild by any stretch,,,4 bars on F75,, and about half the graph to a little more in Racer. ( would be rated at least medium to slightly above medium in metal detecting land)

The GB number on relic,,,will not tell op soil mineral levels,,,,it will tell according to my knowledge mineral type-- not level.

While it is probably true most of the time,,,high ground phase number probably can be related,,meaning soil isn't mild,,,but could be both medium, medium high, or high levels of mineralization.
May 14, 2016 02:39AM
If I had the relic machine you would be begging me to stop making videos

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 14, 2016 02:45AM
To add to that David the more targets you get under the coil at a time the more it really runs the scale up on all of the Turkish machines. All mine work great at 90 when I can't even get a good GB per the amount of trash. So I don't see a big deviation in performance GBed or not even in my garden.
May 14, 2016 02:56AM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> To add to that David the more targets you get
> under the coil at a time the more it really runs
> the scale up on all of the Turkish machines. All
> mine work great at 90 when I can't even get a good
> GB per the amount of trash. So I don't see a big
> deviation in performance GBed or not even in my
> garden.

Im
I agree Jack, I don't want to get caught talking too much in a thread-- talking about a detector a detector I've never ran,,,but with the Nokta CoRe unit,,,GB setting very forgiving in my experiences,,far more so than Fiaher F75...But it does help for a person to know what the mineral levels are in the site they are hunting--- not so much maybe for sites loaded with nails or iron,, where depth not the primary goal,,moreso unmasking and separation--- but if depth becomes a goal,,,,minerals levels known,, a person would have a better idea of when their detector starts skewing target ID and tone,,,trying to fool them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2016 02:58AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 14, 2016 03:27AM
Don How hot are you running the unit???

By this I mean the Sens..When In two tone 50 is very powerful..If you push it too hard the iron falsing can become quite over bearing..

If your dirt is too harsh stay out of Deep...its actually counter productive..

I'm Starting To wonder if maybe you have a lot of black sands up your way.. the basalt statement made me think maybe you possibly do..

one other option is to use the Cog ground and see if the targets clean up..

I understand you're experienced in the ways of detectors so I'm sure you know what to expect out of a unit.....and my post was not to imply any negative thoughts but check deep mode and see if targets get worse and check Cog and see if they get better...the Conductive ground will run really quiet by the way...

and a Nickle should sound well in the soil even harsh soil..I have harsh dirt here and a nickle sounds off quiet well not dimes too deep but nickles do..a foot deep nickle in my HIgh F.e. soil and ground bal at 83 is reported fine..

I believe you say you're in Oregon??

Monte is in Your state and has the Relic He would be the most useful tool for you on maybe verifying and cross checking your findings..

One more thing and this is Huge..like any Powerful High gain unit it will work the best on depilated site..the type site where the iron is whittled down to smaller pieces now over the years...If this is your first foray into the high Freq High gain units They behave a bit different..Some who have rtean these type units for years and years adapt quicker in the Thicker Iron..But there still preferred for depleted sites..

for isolated depth..low conductors will sound better than high on coin sizes especially..

I cant really hear a 10 inch dime in my soil with stock coil..So be aware..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 14, 2016 04:08AM
I guess I'll jump in here as well. Iv'e recently purchased a Go-Pro and have made a few "first attempt" videos with the Relic. Not too bad but I am still on the learning curve with the whole editing thing. I'll try and get one posted soon as I get more proficient with the editing.

As to my experience with the Relic, I am in the same camp as Jack Flynn and Michigan Relic Hunter. If there are indeed good and bad ones as Don suggests then I got a good one.

As to ground balance #s, the way I understand it from an excellent post by Steve H. Is that the GB# is the combination of the amount of mineralization plus the type i.e., magnetic vs. iron (phase). I may not have this right but the way I understand it is that magnetic soils are the worst to deal with. So, you could have a GB# in the 80s at one site that was high in non-magnetic minerals and have a fairly easy go of it. Or, you can have a site GB in the 80s with high magnetic minerals and have trouble. So, to sum it up, it's not the GB# that is so important as to how much it will effect your machine's performance BUT the type (phase) of mineralization which is a ratio of the total mineralization that makes up the GB#. Whew! Now, I may have totally screwed that explaination up. If I am wrong please correct me.

With all that being said, The GB# doesn't mean/matter all that much to me. I learned on machines and still swing machines that don't display a GB#. I learned and was taught to tune the machine, change coils, change machines, etc. to the environment until the machine is stable enough to hunt with. Some ground will be tough no matter what. Some ground is so hot that VLF units just can't hunt it. Thank God for PI units!

An experienced detectorist, like Don, knows what's up. If he can't get it to run with acceptable performance after all his testing... somethings wrong with the machine(s) IMHO. What a disappointment!

Sorry for the long ramble. HH.

Dean
May 14, 2016 04:36AM
Hello Keith,

I am in Washington State and we do have a lot of basalt here.

I have tested the machine from a Sensitivity of 40 on up in each mode.
Yes, I had less iron falsing in the lower sensitivity but then I start to lose my good targets too. (test garden)

Out of all the modes, COG is the one I have tested the least.
I will give COG some more time this weekend when I have a chance.
(DEEP mode has good target response but a lot of false signals.)

Yes, I would like to meet up with Monte!
I know that Dean's machine is working well. (above post) He detects in Arizona.

-Don
May 14, 2016 05:45AM
I have a Minelab Explorer XS up for trade and have been offered a Relic and a For Cores two separate offers after seeing what videos I have seen I'd rather keep my Explorer XS at least with it I ain't digging iron due to falsing even though it nulls constantly in thick iron. What's strange is a coin signal will register even though it's nulling. I've dug several Wheaties and a Mercury dime with nails in the same hole this was using the 6x8 SEF coil.