Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Newer crop tending methods, preserving finds?? Or not.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Newer crop tending methods, preserving finds?? Or not.
May 15, 2016 01:07PM
Seems most of the corn and soy bean farmers,,,around here anyway,,,have discontinued plowing fields,,instead they use round up to ready the fields,,,and around 4-6 weeks later,,use a machine that's job is to drill the seed over the grass and weed killed ground.

So it seems many finds mask and maybe deeper will go undetected due to this.

Also I am wondering just how much longer some of the CW relics will last years wise,,,I have already seem quite a few buttons that have looked like they where in the last stages as far as corrosion goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 01:09PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Newer crop tending methods, preserving finds?? Or not.
May 15, 2016 01:46PM
"No-till" farming has been employed here in the south for years now on the large farms, and many of the middle sized operations now have made the investment in equipment, too.
Yes, as much as I'd like to see "my" fields turned over to bring some of the deep targets closer to the surface, it ain't happening until they rotate to tobacco (if they ever do), or just decide to turn the soil just to loosen it up and aerate it every few years.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 15, 2016 02:01PM
Crops like soybeans have taken over in the south. I know people that once had 5,000 acre cattle farms that sold off the cattle and tore down the fences and barns, and now are planting soybeans, wheat, and switchgrass. They said there is more profit in the crop planting vs cattle. All 3 methods employ no-till. So a lot of the fields we used to enjoy arrowhead hunting in, never get plowed or tilled anymore. It started becoming popular around here about 10 years ago but the soybean craze just started about 3-4 yrs ago here. I know fields here that were always acres and acres of pretty green hay fields that are now sprayed dead with weed killer and then no-tilled for soybeans.
May 15, 2016 03:47PM
Monsanto is the evil empire. 60 min. did a piece on them. First off the world is creating super weeds that will not die. Just like antibiotics and germs. They also control the market for seeds. If you don't buy their weed killer you can't get seeds. Evil!!!
May 15, 2016 04:37PM
Hi,,,,Let me add that the dust that gets blown across farm fields that we breath in is toxic....JJ
May 15, 2016 04:46PM
Round Up is deadly on honey bees and bees are essential to our crops.And I am as far from a tree hugger as one can get on planet earth.
May 15, 2016 04:53PM
Hi,,,,Toxic chemicals definitely don't preserve coins and practicing no till farming only compacts the soil around the coins, so it speeds up the corrosive effect on the coins....One of the by-products of fertilizer etc. is salt, that's why a farm field site may sound very irony or full of nails when wet or moist....Salt increases the conductivity of objects in the ground especially rusty iron objects when wet/moist....Some give credit to a new machine or coil when they do good in a previously hunted spot but in reality it could of been a change in the soil moisture content ?.....(drier dirt) ......JJ
May 15, 2016 06:32PM
You got that right..
75-80% of the population have no idea what GMO's are....
May 15, 2016 06:42PM
I don't know the root causes of things like cancer...but this kind of stuff can't be helping our overall health. The place I just moved from, all the surrounding farms are now doing soybeans and when they would spray to kill the grass and then spray for insects later on, everybody in the immediate area would be coughing and hacking for weeks after. Even our goats had trouble breathing. I'm glad to be far away from that junk.
May 15, 2016 10:09PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know the root causes of things like
> cancer...but this kind of stuff can't be helping
> our overall health. The place I just moved from,
> all the surrounding farms are now doing soybeans
> and when they would spray to kill the grass and
> then spray for insects later on, everybody in the
> immediate area would be coughing and hacking for
> weeks after. Even our goats had trouble
> breathing. I'm glad to be far away from that junk.

Daniel you just mentioned a couple"root causes" of cancer,autoimmune diseases,and neurological problems,BUT we kilt dem bugs and weeds.
May 16, 2016 01:50AM
I would be careful with the roundup getting in your system and even breathing it from the dust from the dirt

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 16, 2016 03:26AM
IN the pas few years,,we have had a few gents die with liver disease-- they never smoked or drank alcohol.

What they did so,,is spray a lot of tobacco over the years,,and the stuff they used way back when-- you can't even buy today,,strong stuff.

Is or could this spray these gents used be connected to their death causing disease ???
May 16, 2016 04:27PM
It almost seems that the "better" our technology gets the more our health suffers, sort of like a sci-fi movie. Factor in all the chemicals and drugs used on crops and food animals and add all the radio waves we're exposed to daily and we've got a lot to contend with in regards to our health. Then there are the food additives/preservatives and drugs from the pharmaceutical companies. The EPA, FDA, and FCC are a joke. Anyway, we've got two lakes in my area with warnings about the fish... in one you can only eat 8 oz of fish a week due to the mercury they contain, and you can't eat any fish from the other due to some sort of pesticide chemical (I think) in the water.

I'm not a tree hugger by any means either, but just wow.
May 24, 2016 06:48PM
One of the campsites that I hunt is in a "no-till" field. You know, where they chemically kill the weeds and so forth. All the buttons that I dig out of that field are in pieces or are coming to pieces!!!! Not like buttons found in the nearby woods that are whole and intact with a nice shank sticking out!!!
I am no farmer, but it seems like they would like to turn the field with a turning plow every few years (I certainly would like it..lol) because it seems that no till farming would eventually pack the soil so much that roots wouldn't grow and the soybean vines thrive. I guess that one needs a degree in chemistry to farm now.
May 24, 2016 07:05PM
Kevin B Wrote:
> One of the campsites that I hunt is in a "no-till"
> field. You know, where they chemically kill the
> weeds and so forth. All the buttons that I dig
> out of that field are in pieces or are coming to
> pieces!!!! Not like buttons found in the nearby
> woods that are whole and intact with a nice shank
> sticking out!!!
> I am no farmer, but it seems like they would
> like to turn the field with a turning plow every
> few years (I certainly would like it..lol) because
> it seems that no till farming would eventually
> pack the soil so much that roots wouldn't grow and
> the soybean vines thrive. I guess that one needs
> a degree in chemistry to farm now.

No-till rebuilds the soil qualities that allows plants to take in nutrients and thrive. I won't go into the details on that but google it if you like. Routine plowing disrupts the natural cycle of decay and release of nutrients hence the need for adding vast amounts of costly synthetics fertilizers. Less labor and less use of costly synthetics... a win win for the farmers.

Edit: There is some new research out that says turning over the soil by plowing every few years does not do much harm. I am trying to convince my local farmers to give it a try.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 07:15PM by Jackpine.
May 25, 2016 09:40AM
Plowing the fields every two or three years would bring up more targets in detecting range, but is anyone offering to help with the expense for fuel and equipment, to do that.

Then also you hear people complaining about erosion of the soil anytime they work the ground.

To say the spray that farmers use is corrosive to metal I doubt that, I have dug things in places that have never been sprayed with anything, that were in bad shape.
May 25, 2016 11:28AM
deadeye Wrote:
> Plowing the fields every two or three years would
> bring up more targets in detecting range, but is
> anyone offering to help with the expense for fuel
> and equipment, to do that.
>
> Then also you hear people complaining about
> erosion of the soil anytime they work the ground.
>
> To say the spray that farmers use is corrosive to
> metal I doubt that, I have dug things in places
> that have never been sprayed with anything, that
> were in bad shape.

Roundup (Glyphosate) is not corrosive, soil bacteria and fungi break it down into the elemental Carbon and Potassium forms. The salts found in heavily fertilized fields are what causes the damage. So in that regard no-till helps save artifacts. We just gotta go deeper!

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
May 25, 2016 11:45AM
A related topic concerning pastures,,the subject of cow urine.

An interesting read.

[www.ijeit.com]