Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Makro racer 2 id numbers where all over the place.

Posted by Etsija82 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Makro racer 2 id numbers where all over the place.
May 15, 2016 04:49PM
Hello folks. I have relic hunted a few times with the Makro racer 2 and using the stock coil. Used three tones and gain was 85, also groundbalanced the machine quite often to make sure everything should be in order.

In the few outing with the Racer 2, i noticed how the id numbers where sailing all over the place, even when the target where a button or similar good target and they where not that deep either. Also the sound of the machine was very strange, it sounded like a mixed iron tone and good tone in the same time.

Id numbers where sailing between 10-50 id numbers to the button and the correct number to the button where about 30.. Even when i placed the button to the surface, i had to swing the coil close to the button to get more accurate id number. Also tested the machine by placing a 10 euro cent coin to the surface of the ground and had to swing the coil very near it to get the correct id number.

My friend tried his Xp deus with the same targets, i was finding. His Xp deus sound/id numbers where very accurate and stable in those target, that the Makro racer 2 like id all over the place. I dont know what is going on, but my confidence with the Makro racer 2 hit the rock bottom today and dont like the machine at all after this last outing. I dont remember having these kind of id jumping problems with my Makro racer 1.

I think the coil is not working right or something like that, Maybe somebody have seen similar problem and know the answer to this dilemma.confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 04:53PM by Etsija82.
smoking smileyRe: Makro racer 2 id numbers where all over the place.
May 15, 2016 05:28PM
My problem may be the result of the classical dirt in the coilcover. After removing the coil cover and washing all of the coil parts, the machine behavior seems to get better after the operation, so hopefully that solved the strange befavior of the machine.smoking smiley
Re: smoking smileyRe: Makro racer 2 id numbers where all over the place.
May 15, 2016 08:47PM
And THAT is exactly why I stopped using coil covers many years ago. I have NEVER seen a coil that has been ruined from not using a coil cover. I am not saying that you shouldn't use one or that a coil has never been damaged from not using a coil cover, but I hate them. Oh, I have been detecting since 1971 and have done a lot of swinging over the years.
Re: Makro racer 2 id numbers where all over the place.
May 15, 2016 11:38PM
The newer Racer and Racer 2 coils need to have the coil cover installed. Otherwise you're scraping the potting compound on the ground.
May 16, 2016 05:52AM
Potting compound - please explain? Why would the Racers be different than any other detectors in this regard?
May 16, 2016 02:53PM
Mike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Potting compound - please explain? Why would the
> Racers be different than any other detectors in
> this regard?

yes, agreed, seems like 'epoxy' based potting compounds like they now use couldn't be
chipped even with a hammer and chisel....seems they should be fine without covers?
Makro, can you speak to this issue/coil composition? I personally prefer to not use covers
and have never had a problem...
May 16, 2016 03:27PM
I took off my coil cover on my 5x10 coil the bottom of the coil looked like someone took a knife to it. If I didn't put it back on I'm afraid that it would ruin the coil. Non of my other machines do that. So I keep it on and clean it

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 16, 2016 05:19PM
It does bounce a fair amount but only used mine so far in trash so that's to be expected. Air test they move around with the slightest difference in depth. This is a tone MD with a slight indication of TID for info. Just my very limited experience. I feel I got a keeper though. The 5x10 will be hot on the VB courts(if I every get to get on one around here) and tot lots.
May 16, 2016 08:00PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a tone MD with a slight indication
> of TID for info.

that's exactly what I'm seeing....and if you're item straddles a breakpoint you'll hear
2 tones also as you sweep around it.....

> The 5x10 will be hot
> on the VB courts(if I every get to get on one
> around here) and tot lots.

that's the coil I'm using, hoping to get lucky with it...

I've also noticed that when I pinpoint it always seems to indicate 2 or 3 no matter how deep the target is...