Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

And what are you missing

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
And what are you missing
May 17, 2016 12:26PM
DD coils.
Discrimination mode.
I have also done this test with longer 3.5 and a 4.5 bent wraught iron nails.
As well as a stagger test. Coin or jewelry target in the center. Long nailed 1" above the target 1-2" off to the side. Short nail 2" above target, 1-2" off to the side.
Monte's nail board test works great with all nail targets lying on the ground flat with most detectors. An eye opener will be Nigels test as well as my staggered tests.
You may just find your super duper Monte Nail board test metal detector fails miserably in real hunting situations where nails are staggered.
Found I am better off hunting in all metal mode with 2 or three tones to pick out the good targets, providing I am using a fast recovery detector that can separate targets.

Now if you have a Teknetics T2 Classic handy with the larger coil in disc mode with 2+ tones, iron disc set low or even with just barely disc'ing out the nails, you get a diggable
tone.

With many metered ID machines as Nigel points out, target ID numbers and or screen ID will be into the non-ferrous range. Dig anyways if you get any indication of a higher tone
or a flash of a high non-ferrous ID number. Results will vary depending upon the detector.

Nigel points out that concentric coils fare much better. I will tend to agree as long as the detector has a fast recovery time between targets, otherwise the concentric sees the multiple targets as one.

Anyways the tests performed proved educational. Shows why going over the same grounds with many other detectors and still finding coins etc. is not really hunted out as you first thought.
Masking can fool your thinking you hunted the place out.

------------------------------
Nigel---
when i got into this hobby me and dad line and pegged our best permissions . we often found half again as much with another pass 90 degrees to the first . many of those finds were hit simply because we had not passed over them first time, .
Having got back into the hobby recently and found everyone is swearing by DD coils i read up about the pros and cons and sure enough DD is best overall . but i have realised using DD its more important than ever to do a second sweep at 90 degrees to the first as reccomended in all your instruction handbooks .
nails can make your machines grunt iron on so many good targets ,and a simple change of approach is all thats needed to take a signal from -70 to +70 sweet signal .
watch how a single small nail placed on top of one pence can be totally ignored by machine ,and just a quick shift and the nail will put the coin down into -80 signal like magic .
I knew what i wanted to video ,but while doing this short video i even shocked myself with results obtained . i,m a line and peg man from today onwards ,hopefully my finds rate will reflect the change .

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2016 04:09PM by Sven1.
Re: And what are you missing
May 17, 2016 12:56PM
Sven-----Couldn't pull the vids up.----What detectors/coil combos do you feel works the best for this??
May 17, 2016 01:03PM
The T2 Classic is doing a very good job in iron for me so far. I'm not sure if the changes made to help with EMI are the reason but, it's much better behaved in iron than I remember from using the original model. Very little of the non-repeatable iron falses vs my previous experience, to the point it's almost a non-issue in my ground. The stock 11" DD coil is not to be taken lightly for use in iron.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
May 17, 2016 01:16PM
In the one video that's a Chinese T2 counterfeit. The Gold Finder. Looks like it is operating as it should.
May 17, 2016 01:30PM
My Vaquero with the 5.75 inch concentric search coil doesn't miss much when the discrimination is set just high enough to where nails just barely crackle and pop.

tabman
May 17, 2016 01:39PM
Video links fixed, should work for everyone now

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 17, 2016 04:06PM
You're missing a good bit that's for sure...

I like to gauge my hunts on the amount of Bent nails I have at the end..there should always be more bent nails and weird shaped larger than nail iron in the pouch in machine gun iron trash than good targets..

I like 10 to 1 as an ratio for myself if I'm on a site that warrants aggressive attack..

If your not finding more iron than non ferrous on a site then your only letting yourself down..

And I see where this poster was coming from but at the same time till we have a Standard to test with we do have the MNBT and even My simple Down the barrel ..While 2 dimensional they do offer a GAUGE ..and that GAUGE holds up in real world hints above machines that wont pass the test..

Use the passers in iron and use the non passers in iron and I think you'll see a edge..

And also what is huge when using the passers is the operator skill level in the iron to determine noise from legitimate hits..And knowing really why they need a certain machine and or coil combo

1-You have to want to unlock iron after learning from trial and error over time that this is your aim for more goodies to come to light.
2- You have to know what that equipment is ..not by someone telling you but actually having the knowledge to know that's the Tool I need..
3-You have to search out equipment that will help you unlock the iron..Tools if you will
4-Once you locate your equipment you need then comes the task of using to your advantage in the iron to unlock targets..

You need the 4 steps..

Also something to consider is yes we need better STANDARD in 3d format...but it will be just that a STANDARD not something person A does the Person B sees it and replicates it ..But an actual universal accepted Test Standard...Yet it also has to be a test standard that is passible.one that adheres to physics of detector limitations..this is where the the best of the best will be decided and not just by us but by the design engineers..

I have been working on a Standard for awhile now myself..that hopefully I can get cheap enough to offer..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 17, 2016 04:50PM
Quote; And also what is huge when using the passers is the operator skill level in the iron to determine noise from legitimate hits.

No truer words have been spoken and especially here lately it seems. I've been mulling over a post about this but alas, the frog still can't get in the cricket basket so I'll just let him look.

Right on Keith!
May 17, 2016 06:40PM
This thread,,some what related to a couple earlier threads.

Sometimes the best thing to happen to a person,,is their site " drys up"-- supposedly.

Sure anyone can dig clean hits,,but after the cleaner hits,,then the hits will become not so clean,,and so on.

Very hard to get me to quit hunting a " supposed depleted site", granted my finds pouch may not be runneth over with good finds,,but to me this is the real learning takes place.

I have this one site--- I bet I have over 500 hours in it with various detectors,,and I hadn't give up on it yet.

Much easier actually to find targets that challenge a detector in a harder hunted site.

Had a gent the other day,,stopped by when he seen me detecting,,,and he said dang you've been here a lot over the last 5 years,,,why do you keep coming back.

I pulled a few finds out of my pocket and showed him.

He said um,, these are still here,, surprising and even myself,,I've pounded this baby on and off going on 18 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2016 06:45PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 17, 2016 10:21PM
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Yep it's totally different,nail board on the same plain is useless in my opinion.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
May 18, 2016 12:01AM
When I used a Garrett AT Gold in thick iron around old homesites bed of nails type site. Using the 5x8" coil I could pull .22 brass shell casings out of that mess of iron. Which in my book was pretty amazing.
May 18, 2016 06:06AM
There's something special about each non-ferrous item I've dug in the thick iron carpets at my colonial home sites. Once the 'easy pickings' are accounted for, the really rewarding challenge is what's left, which in most cases is a lot. My friend and I hit a cellar site many times with Minelab FBS/FBS2 units and Teknetics T2 with 5inch coil as well as the factory 11 inch. Many good finds were made. Buttons, large coppers, relics. But that site dried out in a big way. Well we sifted all around the foundation using a rare earth magnet, and found more buttons, a large cent in addition to clay pipe pieces and ceramic buttons. These things were completely masked by iron nails.

This taught me an important lesson.

It's unimaginable how many things are still masked by iron.

The most rewarding of finds comes from the sites that you have to WORK on. I can remember where most of my finds were found and the circumstances that they were recovered just by looking at them. Surprisingly, my proudest finds are actually quite mediocre. Civilian flat buttons, a thimble, a small key hole cover. Why? Because for that moment my machine became an extension of my arm and its circuitry hardwired directly to my brain. I knew something was there despite the overwhelming iron presence. Working in sync with your machine, and not against it is an amazing feeling.