Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Returning to the world Of BBS.....(1/19/17 Update..Picked up a scorcher of a GT went ahead and modded it too)

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I got my eye out for one like Keith has, not likely i will ever find one. I got some spots i sure would like to hunt with one.
You guys crack me up. Like a large mouth bass, a little movement or flashy lure and BAHM!!
Even a lure you've been caught on in the past...gotta love it. I'm not bashing you guys, just busting your chops, lol.
Potomac run Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got my eye out for one like Keith has, not
> likely i will ever find one. I got some spots i
> sure would like to hunt with one.

Here ya go. https://greensboro.craigslist.org/spo/5678411044.html
Re: Rod Mod Photo's
July 22, 2016 05:20PM
Nice Rigs!!

how do you like the 8 inch sunray mike???

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
I will when i get a chance...really not hard its just on off switch..you jump wires off the back of the switch to a remote switch...then leave face plate switch in position that leaves the contacts open..All metal I think...but I will have to check...then when you close the circuit with remote switch it flips mode to disc...

use a mono rca jack on housing and get a mono rca plug ..usevery simple to do..

If i get a chance soon i will load some pics as I do it..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Elite's are nice Daniel.. it will come with slimline coil.tornado..those are good..Better battery system too..

I used the 10 inch tornado in a yard full of red clay once and dug some Nice deep dropped Enfields..(Slicks we call them)..Thought I had cleaned that yard out... lol....those suckers were deep in that Clay..Beautiful shiny gloss cream color type patina..

Buddy of mine used his in there week before .. he has the XS and dug a Nice big deep Georgia hatpin..eagle on top of capitol..

thing was huge one of those shako sizes like a softball size..like a 5k dollar hat pin back then...

Good luck..

dont sell it keep it as a tool...and there awesome on the beach too if you ever get down that way..

But for sure buckle killers and silver killers in these big iron houses..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Keith, the S-8 has been glued to my GT for the past 6 years. I seem get about the same depth as the 10 inch Tornado in my ground probably due to being able to run the sensitivity higher. I'm also able to run the sensitivity a little bit higher compared to the 7 1/4 inch Tornado. I can't claim that it's the deepest coil for the Sovereigns but the first time I used it in bad ground at one of my ghost town sites I dug not only my deepest silver but my oldest an 1853 seated quarter.
Thanks for the info Mike !!

I've heard good things on the 8 sunray..

And congrats on your coin!!!

No one mentioned I forgot to add the video of me digging the Button On the 20th ..LOL

I added it to the Button post pic..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
OZZIE ...................

-Nikola Tesla
bespride Wrote:
> Potomac run Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----Nothing there
> > I got my eye out for one like Keith has, not
> > likely i will ever find one. I got some spots i
> > sure would like to hunt with one.
>
>
> Here ya go.
> [greensboro.craigslist.org]
> tml
I have had my elite for about 2 months now and love it at saltwater beaches.So far found a 1934 quarter and 1909 dime!
Congrats on the dime and Quarter..

Post a pic !

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Hey Keith,
Is this you?
[md-hunter.com]
Datawave Wrote:

Hey Keith,
Is this you?
[md-hunter.com]

Yep Thats me LOL......They must like the Weird Looking handle setup I Made..LOL!!

looks like a Video grab and a pic grab...LOL..

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes that's my wife also on that page...

And before Y'all make any RUDE comments She is aware of the weight gain and is trying to drop a few pounds so no Jokes about her PLEASE!!!!!..

They take my pic's Ill take one of theirs LOL!!

touché

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2016 01:58AM by Keith Southern.
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Yep Thats me LOL......
>
> looks like a Video grab and a pic grab...LOL..
>
> Cool!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>
> And yes that's my wife also on that page...
>
> [i957.photobucket.com]
> man-with-metal-detector-05%20-%20Edited_zpskwtfcdd
> z.jpg
>
>

> and before Y'all make any RUDE comments She is
> aware of the weight gain and is trying to drop a
> few pounds so no Jokes about her PLEASE!!!!!..
>
>
> touché
>
> Keith

all i got to say is w.o.w

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2016 01:52AM by skinner.
Looks aren't everything Keith. It's what's inside that counts. I'm sure she has a good heart.
I don't think I would ever leave the house. No more detecting unless the Mrs. went along. A true Southern Bell!
You got that right and she make some mean biscuits and gravy..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Well she does prefer the CTX so not a problem getting her along on the hunts!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Cradle robber. lol.
My new to me Sovereign Elite came. It was missing a couple pieces to make it functional for a hunt (the handle and armrest assembly) but the seller is sending that to me today. I'm not as ingenuitive as some of you guys but it didn't take me long to figure out this thing will sort of fit on the GPX shaft and handle. I was able to do that but not mount the box anywhere, as the mounting bracket is MIA. That's where my GPX battery holder came into play. So basically I have a belt mounted control box and everything else is attached to the GPX rod/handle.

This is the first time I've had a Sovereign. I was a bit surprised at how simple the controls are. Out to the test garden I went...what I noticed was this thing don't like my ground; it nulls the threshold as soon as the coil gets close to it, and the threshold stays gone until I lift the coil and then it returns. But I may not be doing something correct with it; I didn't see any method of ground balance in the manual....all it said was it automatically compensates for the ground.

BUT even still, it does better on coins in the ground than the FBS machines I've had. I don't have anything super deep in the test garden and everything is relatively fresh buried since I've not lived here but about 7 months now. I do have an indian head cent buried at approx 7 inches and the Elite gives a good tone on it. The coil has to be centered right over it but it is indeed there.

I'm going to play some more with it as time allows; it will be a lot better when I can actually swing the machine in real world conditions. If I really like it, I will order one of the aftermarket rods for it. The wife and I headed to the beach in October; we've not been a single time since we've been married and she says it is time we go. I'm not a beach guy at all; I hate sand, crowds, and heat. But she assures me the summer crowd should be thinned out by October and the heat not so bad. I am going to keep the Sovereign until then, and use it while I am there just so I can say I've done it.
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> This is the first time I've had a Sovereign. I
> was a bit surprised at how simple the controls
> are. Out to the test garden I went...what I
> noticed was this thing don't like my ground; it
> nulls the threshold as soon as the coil gets close
> to it, and the threshold stays gone until I lift
> the coil and then it returns. But I may not be
> doing something correct with it; I didn't see any
> method of ground balance.

Daniel

sounds like you're running the sens too high

notice the sens knob works the opposite of the threshold and vol knobs

turning the sens clockwise decreases sens unlike vol and thres which work opposite (increase when turned clockwise). = backwards aussies!

See if that helps with the nulling/ground interference
I was going to say the same thing. You are running the sensitivity too high. If you have to yo can run in auto and the detector should never null because of the ground. But auto should be a last resort. Do yourself one big favor. Hold onto it for your beach hunt. You will have fun with it.
Thanks guys. I gave that a try and it works. To keep a threshold sound with the coil close to the ground I had to move the sensitivity knob to about the 3-4 o clock position. There is a factory preset marker for "beach" and I can get a threshold sound anywhere clockwise from that mark.

I am for sure keeping it for the beach trip. I don't think the AT Gold would be a good candidate and I'm not taking the GPX. I kinda like the tones on the Sovereign and the sweep speed seems to match what I do with the GPX.
Interesting Video of a Guy with a EMF gauge around a BBS unit
July 28, 2016 05:49PM
Guy says he's compared it on a lot of machines..

and says the BBS blows the gauge up ..LOL..

I'm thinking the Broad band is screwing up his Gauge device..??

[www.youtube.com]

Jump to about the 4 minute mark to see him talk about it..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 05:49PM by Keith Southern.
Yes in bad dirt Daniel the threshold will drop out and null...but I usually just run it as hot as it will go still as long as I'm not getting EMI problems. ..just slow down alot...the deep ones still break through the null..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
I have a feeling there will be a run on Sovereign's. Wish I had a bunch of NOS to sell. LOL!
Re: Interesting Video of a Guy with a EMF gauge around a BBS unit
July 28, 2016 08:25PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Guy says he's compared it on a lot of machines..
>
> and says the BBS blows the gauge up ..LOL..
>
> I'm thinking the Broad band is screwing up his
> Gauge device..??
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Jump to about the 4 minute mark to see him talk
> about it..
>
> Keith
He just needs to grow that beard out more to shield his organs in the "safe zone".
It is amazing to me how great of minds the engineers are at Minelab. BBS, FBS, SETA, all mind blowing technology.

I think the Sovereign machines are now 20 year old technology but yet there aren't many machines that can air test a belt plate at nearly 2'. My Elite gets it in disc mode to 22" with this 10" coil and more in all metal. And the plate I have in the ground at 1' is a no brainer dig me. Even running the sensitivity at 2-3 o clock position, I still get a good repeatable tone on everything in my test garden. Including coins down to 8 inches...which even the FBS machines start to err on ID and wont really do any good past 6 inches in the soil here. I should have had one of these 16 years ago. I imagine my collection would be much larger and perhaps my trying of other machines would have been much less.

I'm gonna be getting an additional coil or two for it. Perhaps a smaller one and a larger one...should have all the bases covered. I may even sell my AT Gold and get an Excalibur.
The more you use it the more you're going to like it Daniel. My ground is pretty bad also but The Sovereigns have always been pretty deep seekers here. I usually don't measure the depth of anything when I'm hunting but I dug a gold pocket watch a few years back that I remember being about elbow deep. It wasn't a real good signal at first but as I walked around it doing short fast sweeps the tone started rising and I had to dig. After about a foot deep in roots I was going to give up thinking maybe it was a large piece of tin or something. Glad I didn't,it came out of the roots in excellent condition.