Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Returning to the world Of BBS.....(1/19/17 Update..Picked up a scorcher of a GT went ahead and modded it too)

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Keep me in mind if you part with that GT any time soon. I have been looking for one. There is one at Friendly forum but he hasn't answered my message back. I was going to get your old XS that Richard has but he said it only had the stock S rod with it. If it had the yellow one I was going to get it even though I prefer straight rods. I will just keep an eye out for a GT or one of the others already on a straight rod.
I'm lookin for a another GT right now Daniel..LOL

I sold another Xs-2a this morning wish I had Known.it was a straight rod..

Sold an Elite last week too..LOL..

Decided after running them all to stick with GT's..

the GT is more powerful ..

I have some feelers out for another GT if I find more than one at a good deal Ill let you know..

Craigslist is your best bet..get them cheap..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
I wish that fella would have messaged me back on Friendly. I would have bought that GT. He must have already sold it. They come and go on eBay but usually they are asking too much for what I am willing to pay for one.
Hey Keith

when I retire I'm gonna build a Sov like this guys grinning smiley

It's interesting to me that Minelab discontinued the Sovereign GT back in 2014 or so and yet the after market companies are still making coils for it. I realize the Excalibur is basically the same thing as a Sovereign in a waterproof housing, but the coils have to be hardwired into them; the aftermarket coils come with the connector to fit the Sovereign.

There still must be a little bit of a cash cow involved in these machines in order for them to continue making them. There sure aren't many other discontinued detectors that aftermarket companies are making coils for!!

I can't wait on that GT to get here. When I had the Elite, I went big with the coils. This time I think I will go try the opposite direction and maybe get one of the smaller coils.
It's unique machine with no competition..

There is a Nel snake available.. Haven't tried YET..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
The World Of BBS..
January 26, 2017 12:03AM
I tried my first Sovereign five or six years ago. It was an XS-2a Pro with the heavier 10" BBS coil, S style rod and the older black 550 meter. (and a mile of coil cable to deal with) I also had the 8"coinsearch and 12" Sun Ray coils for it.

Took it to some hard hunted places and the Sovereign impressed me with its' ability to turn up good stuff. One location was an old park, where I marked off a small area of turf about 15' x 10' and spent a few hours over a couple days removing anything non-ferrous. The Sovereign came up with some old wheats, an early merc and some vintage jewelry, all close to iron and missed by previous hunters. Lots to like about the Sov.

But I didn't care for the older battery system, the big mess of cable when using the meter and the weight was an issue to my increasingly painful shoulder. I thought about doing some battery mods and buying the lighter Tornado coils and getting a straight rod and so on, but after doing some math figured it would be more effective to sell the one i had and just buy a GT. So I sold the XS-2a Pro with intentions of buying a new or lightly used GT shortly afterwards.

Wasn't long and they were discontinued and people were scrambling to pick up the last few available. Money was tight at the time and I didn't get one. Took me until last summer to finally pick one up. Found a barely used one that still has almost 2 years of factory warranty left. (yes, i did call) The one mistake I made was selling the 8" coinsearch coil. Wish I would have kept that.

The Sovereign is certainly a different beast compared to other detectors. The audio and mannerisms takes some getting used to, but over time it becomes very comfortable to use in its' unique way. And it does produce. It is hard for me to argue when I am finding good targets.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 12:04AM by Gonebeepin'.
Just picked up a great little booklet on the Sovereign series. You guys may already be familiar with it. It is called Beach, Inland, and Shallow Water Treasure Hunting with the Minelab Sovereign Series Metal Detector. By mister Clive Clynick. I have had other booklets on the Sovereign and Excalibur detectors, including a few from this same author, but this one is the best I have read thus far. It came with an audio CD that was very helpful in understanding the tones. I learned a great deal from just the audio cd.

In playing with my newly acquired GT machine, It seems to be noticeably deeper than the Sovereign Elite I had back in the summer on things in my test garden. Unless it is simply a product of the soil conditions. Back when I had the Elite, it was bone dry and we were in the middle of a drought. Now the ground is pretty wet from all the rain we have been having. I will have quite an arsenal with me on my trip to the beach in a couple weeks. Archery tournament season begins with our first Pro/Am of the year being down in Foley, Alabama which is right there at Gulf Shores on the gulf coast. We took a few extra days to stay at the beach. I'll have the CTX 3030, Whites TDI, and Sovereign GT with me. I'm hoping the beaches wont be as crowded as they were when I was there in October, thus allowing more search time. I could only hunt in the early morning and late evening/nights before the crowds started to come onto the beach. There's only a few miles in each direction that I need to get a coil over. Hahah
I will never sell my Elite! I'm in the process of changing the rods.The best big brass I.D. and gold magnet!
woodchiphustler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will never sell my Elite! I'm in the process of
> changing the rods.The best big brass I.D. and gold
> magnet!

thumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs down

Keith

-Nikola Tesla