Re: Returning to the world Of BBS...(Video)
July 03, 2016 09:04PM
The audio on the Sovereign is a different animal from any other unit...long drawn out VCO with BLEND..

Biggest tip for a Sovereign USer is if you think your swinging slow YOUR NOT..

the Sovereign punches with a Wiggle over a top like no other..almost to the point of not even moving and it will report deeeep....

Just creep and crawl through a site and listen for little buzzs in the null of iron...a tiny break trying to come in can be a goodie..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 04, 2016 03:28PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>
> I actually liked the bar meter on the first
> ones...I used ot have 4 or 5 lying around but sold
> them over time..When the numeric came out the bars
> where quickly discarded as inferior..when actually
> the Bars had the option Via button on control face
> to expand the nickel range....You would not
> believe the Buffalos I dug with that bar meter
> back in the day.It would dead lock a dirty Buffalo
> and V Nickel and on occasion Shields...
>
> Joe Patrick I believe built a Analog meter for it
> that was full featured..Hard to find now and quite
> expensive...you can also get Sunray pinpointers
> for them..
> Keitting

"Joe sent me his Patriot meter to Test and it was very good - above average and it's Iron Sentry RED light was good. Heavy though as it sat right on the wrist area.

Hah! I actually do have 4 or 5 of those original Sov XS 'bar meters' still with protective plastic on the face!

New Meter anyone ? Want to buy one, or two??"
July 04, 2016 03:31PM
Ok guys I have never used a Sovereign XS2a-PRO and I have no ideal how to set it or when to make adjustments to get the best results for the spot I'm hunting. I have some spots I want to try that have deep small pieces of iron nails, bolts, nuts and other iron. The spot also has some modern trash. So far most of the old coins I have pulled from this spot have been 6 to 10 inches deep. I have used the CTX and the deus at this spot but, it's to the point where good finds are down to one goodie in a 4 hour hunt. I have pulled some deep coins using both the CTX and deus right beside iron but, I have dug a lot of iron that comes in as a high tone. I know this spot has more deep old coins and I'm hoping by running the Sovereign XS2a-PRO slow I can hit on some of those coins being masked or right beside iron with less iron falsing. My question to you guys that have used the Sovereign XS2a-PRO how would you set it up to get the best results using it in a spot like this? I have went on youtube and there's not much info on using this older tech detector. Anyone that has any advise on settings or anything else that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
New ((VIDEO))Explaining Plate Getter
July 04, 2016 09:16PM
Had some inquiries about the Sovereign as a Buckle and Or plate getter...or even Silver getter ..

Still to this day nothing touches them for digging DEEP and or BIG brass out of nast trash and iron...

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Returning to the world Of BBS...New ((VIDEO))Explaining Plate Getter
July 04, 2016 09:37PM
Man I got Big Timed again! I guess I don't rate?
July 04, 2016 09:51PM
Keith enjoyed the video. Would love to see a video with some iron nails and silver coins in the same type of demonstrations. Can't wait for mine to show up. Will need some pointers from all the experts on here in what settings to use. It would be great to see if some older technology can pull some silvers out of a spot where detectors like the CTX and deus have went over.
July 04, 2016 10:01PM
Haha we're gonna have to start a drinking game for every time Keith says "uhh" in his videos. winking smiley

The latest one was an eye opener for the plates and big brass. That would come in handy for trashpits or dug-in winter camps with huts. Both are loaded with iron and most will have at least one plate in them.
July 04, 2016 10:14PM
I thought the 4 Filter Analog Whites was best at gettin' Big brass outta' iron?
July 04, 2016 10:15PM
Keith sells a heck of a bunch of detectors.
July 04, 2016 10:52PM
I answered you Question inside the other post Harold..[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Never forget about you Haroldthumbs down I just thought it was easier to answer a few questions at once.. 3 rd paragraph from the bottom or so where I'm talking about the meter

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
July 04, 2016 11:04PM
You would be drunk in 10 minutes LOL.drinking smiley

I need a script to work with LOL..Half the time I cant remember everything I wanted to say before I walked outside..

Yes back in the day These Sovs were Plate killers for the relic hunters in Iron...

Iv'e got a buddy who discovered this in 91....and believe it or Not It's all he will use...He dont worry about the buttons He runs his disc all the way up to ignore zinc lids......He wants the buckles ..He has dug over 15 Confederate plates with his..Numerous Yankee..

You Know David Keith up Your way??

He owns Dixie Detectors...if you ever get a chance to talk to him Hes a Sov Freak...I Talked otohim once years ago and he dug like 20 Some odd plates out of a yankee camp Trash pit in a camp.

That's the unique thing on the Sov it makes Nails in all metal go wah wah..SO easy to dig those 13-14-15 inch bullets with a sovereign in all metla out in the woods..the nails sound like junk the deep bullets sound so Sweeet..Will hold a solid threshold in allmetal in adverse ground too..WAY DEEP...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
July 04, 2016 11:07PM
Only thing that holds back the 4 Filter Whites is the co locates...they reject Iron very well..its the co locates they struggle with to overcome...Isolated or not in same snapshot as big iron the 4 filters will and do nab big brass and plates easily I have found Harold..

Good info..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 11:21PM by Keith Southern.
July 04, 2016 11:25PM
I would need a smaller coil for that to happen..

also another thing you will learn about the Sov's they like a undisturbed matrix..and actually the more mineral it can see the more it can analyze like wet salt beach..

for unmasking in iron they like the grounded entombed targets that's been undisturbed for along time..

I'm going on a night hunt right now when I get back I will share a story about the Sov from years back..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
July 04, 2016 11:55PM
My Bad I missed it. I got a soft spot for them 4 filter Whites analog's. They are big bulky and slow but I get a kick outta' watchin' that "dead nuts" analog meter. If it locks on coin it's a coin!
July 05, 2016 12:45AM
I think my day's of swinging a heavy slow recovery machine is over. With my work schedule and tendenitis in my elbows it just doesn't work for me. If and when I do get out to detect it's only for a couple of hours due to time constraints. So I use something light weight and fast. I have a T2 classic for my hunts. If I decide to take it slow and easy I have a CZ6A but I have to use a detector sling with it. I have never used a Sovereign machine in my life I always thought they were neat but I could never find one that wasn't worn out or that was with in my price range when my budget allowed me to get a new machine.
Live dig ((VIDEO)) of weird coin..
July 05, 2016 04:04AM
Before Dark this evening I dug a Big old coin out of a place close by full of tin..

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2016 04:04AM by Keith Southern.
Keith -- I think we all have little quirks we do when we talk or do public speaking. I used to be around it a lot and the "uhh" thing is pretty common. President Obama is one of the big guns that does it A LOT. Another one people do is excessively say "you know...". They tell me that one of mine is that I say "hey" quite a bit. Kinda like that Uncle Si guy from the duck dynasty TV show.

But you have my brain racing now. Everything I have read says the Sovereign and Excalibur machines are the same...the Excalibur being the waterproof version and of course, not allowing for any coil changing options. They said that is why most prefer the Sovereign due to the many coil options available. But you have my brain going due to the plate statements. If the Excalibur can do the iron/tin rejection like you show the Sovereign doing, and pounce on plates...then that would be a dandy feature to have for hunting creeks for war relics. I'm not wanting to get in neck or chest deep water and chase minie balls around...if I'm in water like that, I want to get any plates that might be there and move on. I'd take one plate to 100 minies any day winking smiley Any thoughts on that option?

I was going this week to buy an AT Gold for water relics but now you have me wondering if I should consider an Excalibur again. When I had one before, I had the 10" coil and only hunted the freshwater beaches a couple times. I played with it in my test garden on dirt but never considered it to be a good dirt hunter; my interest was purely jewelry hunting then.
I have a beauty of an Excal with pinpoint mod and GG Headphones on a carbon fiber shaft for sale. [metaldetectingforum.com]

1350.00. Add 3% if there are fees. I'll even throw in a second rechargeable battery. Only ever charged once. I got rid of all the P.I.T.A. things people hate about Excals. This is a beauty.
Daniel Tn Wrote:

> Everything I
> have read says the Sovereign and Excalibur
> machines are the same...the Excalibur being the
> waterproof version and of course, not allowing for
> any coil changing options. They said that is why
> most prefer the Sovereign due to the many coil
> options available. But you have my brain going
> due to the plate statements. If the Excalibur can
> do the iron/tin rejection like you show the
> Sovereign doing, and pounce on plates...then that
> would be a dandy feature to have for hunting
> creeks for war relics.

Exact same machine/s Daniel (one waterproof/one not). The guys who beach hunt bought the Sov's and the guys that water hunt bought the Excal's

I've had/used both myself (Sov. GT and Excal 1000) - ran excal for a few yrs back in the 90s for water/beach hunting and sov. GT for about 6 months a while ago

outside of being submersible, and not being able to change coils = the excals are heavier but you do have the option of chest mounting it to lighten the load

they still make the excals so you can find them far easier than any of the Sov's. these days and if you wanna get IN the water = a better choice
Keith what did the coin end up being? Love the way you have your Sovereign tone pitch setup. Love digging high tones out of trash and iron sites.
Nice video Keith. Large cent? Trade token? That sweet high tone is magical lol Stops me dead in my tracks.
Didn't know there were so many coils available for the Sovereign. Can anyone tell me what coils would work best and if they had to pick 3 for super trashy, iron and clean sites which 3 coils they would recommend? I am a old coin hunter and I need coils best suited for that type of hunting. Thanks
I got a spot i would like to try that thing,
They are the same Daniel..

Just different configuration and heavier..

Yes the Excalibur would be a GREAT choice for Plate snagging in and out of water..ANY WATER TO BOOT...

BBS is a great tool to have..DEAD NUT discrimination on any iron...Waterproof BBS is just better if you into the water scene too..Nothing worse than digging 20 minutes in the water for a piece of flat iron that reads like a Belt buckle..bad enough on land but in the water UUUUUGGHHHH!

I don't see how you could go wrong and a Excalibur will hold its value.Too..And has a track record of 20+ years of dependability in the water..

Go For it MAN!!

what ya got to loose except a few buckles LOL!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Well Big Ol coin revealed
July 06, 2016 10:17PM
and I was about dead on for the date of the house..

Coin was a British Penny...1938 LOL...what a honker size!!!

Light wear I'd almost bet a WW2 vet brought it back..and I found it on 4th of July so sort of special to me Now..No way a sharecropper in this house collected coins..

Might scout around some more in here he might of brought back a few pieces of silver...Maybe some medals??

O well Heres George The 6th

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
July 06, 2016 10:31PM
Keith Southern Wrote:

> I'm going on a night hunt right now when I get
> back I will share a story about the Sov from years
> back..
>
> Keith

Cool coin there Keith - always makes the heart skip a beat or 2 when pulling honker size coins out of dirt grinning smiley

You never did tell us the story though!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 03:35AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Big old penny, we find them as you would your quarters, they give a cracking siginal.
I would take that any day! Beats My greenie wheats I had to practically chisel out of the ground Yesterday.
Nice big penny!
"Would anyone have any interest in watching an older Sov XS2a in action with an original [ bar ] meter and the later DTI meter? Beach & Land?"