Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Great story to come but I dont know...

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Great story to come but I dont know...
July 07, 2016 04:55PM
I got a fantastic story about a spot I hunted. The problem is, it will make me look like a hypocrite. I have posted how I don't like MDing show boaters, and this story will seem like I am showboating. So, I got an issue. The story is a once in a lifetime hunt(at least for me) and I want to share it, because it is incredible and, it may inspire some. So, I have been debating this with myself a whole month. What should I do? Post it, and appear to be showboating, or forget about it, and deny my fellow hunters of a great story.
Re: Great story to come but I dont know...
July 07, 2016 05:11PM
Keep it to yourself.
Only thing worse than hypocrisy is rationalizing irresponsibility,,,,,ask FBI Chief Comey
July 07, 2016 05:38PM
This may be a bit hypocritical on my part (since as a pastor I don't always follow this advice myself), who cares what some think. There will always be nay sayers, don't let them rule the world with their bad attitudes. PM me the story and I'll make up your mind for you. I don't mind ruling the world with my bad attitudes. eye rolling smiley

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 07, 2016 06:15PM
Well, I'd love to hear a good MD story....go for it. smiling smiley
mike
July 07, 2016 06:32PM
create a new account, post your story, flame a couple other folks on here, then delete said account.....except now when you post your awesome story you have to tell us this is normal for you, so we don't connect you to the new user. but now you have to wait a few more months to tell us, even if you are using a new user, because some of the heavy thinkers will still connect you....so maybe just post it on youtube as a new user, then accidently find it as Bey and link to it, so no one suspects it is you....except I blew that one too now....

just post it, and redact all cool pictures and legitimate information....solves everything. drinking smiley

just makin fun. annoyed I am at work and not digging something.
July 07, 2016 06:43PM
I think there is a difference between showboaters and people that are just generally proud of what they find and just want to show it off whether it be a newbie or veteran...a big difference.
Showboaters are much more in your face about all of it, can be obnoxious and get something way more out of the attention received than just regular hunters showing off their stuff, they have an unhealthy and pathological need for that attention.
Pretty much the mental makeup of most types they call trolls that make people really mad on uncountable forums.

Joining up on this forum and others to learn, communicate with others and yes, even post pics of your finds is what they are for in my opinion.
There is nobody in my regular life that would look twice at, appreciate or even understand the effort it takes or what it took to learn how to do and find most of the things we do.
Maybe a gold ring might get a muggle's attention which it does very time I show one to my wife, but a 1920 wheat cent recovered deep from an iron infested site is just another penny to them, they don't have a clue about what it took to find it and how great we felt when we did.
If I don't post them here on these metal detectingforums, my community, where else to show them off?
Plus, I like looking at other hunters finds...as long as they are not trying to deceive us which has happened in the past, again part of that attention seeking pathological behavior.

I say if you found something great, whether it is a Chucky Cheese token or a coin worth thousands, by all means show it off if you are proud of what you accomplished.
Take your place in the spotlight for however brief of time and get some good attaboys and pats on your back from a community that appreciates the effort and skill it took to do it.

Post away.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 06:50PM by diggwr27.
July 07, 2016 07:38PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> create a new account, post your story, flame a
> couple other folks on here, then delete said
> account.....except now when you post your awesome
> story you have to tell us this is normal for you,
> so we don't connect you to the new user. but now
> you have to wait a few more months to tell us,
> even if you are using a new user, because some of
> the heavy thinkers will still connect you....so
> maybe just post it on youtube as a new user, then
> accidently find it as Bey and link to it, so no
> one suspects it is you....except I blew that one
> too now....
>
> just post it, and redact all cool pictures and
> legitimate information....solves everything. drinking smiley
>
> just makin fun. annoyed I am at work and not
> digging something.

^^^ We have a winner. ^^^

Only thing I could add to that is to be able to prove you actually found something beyond any doubt and didn't just purchase it on ebay.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

July 07, 2016 07:39PM
Since when is telling your story and showing some pics of your finds "show boating"? ( I guess it depends on your intent when you post your story and pics... Are you show boating or sharing?) I've always looked at it as "sharing your adventure". Of course, there will always be some that are insecure and feel threatened by someone else's success (when they could be learning from it)...that's their problem not your's.

What's the point of a forum if you can't share your experiences? If someone doesn't like it... they don't have to read it.

Just occurred to me.... it depends on what you've said in the past about other forum members posting their pics and stories. The hypocrisy part, perhaps? If not, post it.

Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 09:01PM by bado1.
July 07, 2016 08:28PM
All the regulars here know each other. Post it...I wanna hear it!
July 07, 2016 08:39PM
You started this post this simply to assuage the guilty conscience you expect from tolerating your hypocrisy but you know you really don't care......
"Tolerance and apathy are the last traits of a dying society." Aristotle
July 07, 2016 08:53PM
I guess I'm a show boater...

A show boater of mostly the junk I find. Lol

It's your story Beyonder,,do with it what you want.
July 07, 2016 09:00PM
"You started this post this simply to assuage the guilty conscience you expect from tolerating your hypocrisy but you know you really don't care....."

If I didnt care, I wouldn't have made this post in the first place! I would have just posted with reckless abandon. I value all opinions here. I also value this community enough not to be a hypocrite, as some people will not tolerate as such. All I am saying is, "if I were to post this, it will have the perception of being a hypocritical post." It seems to me that people want me to post this. So I will.
July 07, 2016 09:06PM
HA! Now that is funny.

Matt 7:2 (NIV) For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
July 07, 2016 09:28PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> HA! Now that is funny.
>
> Matt 7:2 (NIV) For in the same way you judge
> others, you will be judged, and with the measure
> you use, it will be measured to you.

Uh huh.
Tell my wife that who as far as I can tell is a direct descendant of Leona Helmsley. winking smiley
July 07, 2016 10:02PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> "You started this post this simply to assuage the
> guilty conscience you expect from tolerating your
> hypocrisy but you know you really don't
> care....."
>
> If I didnt care, I wouldn't have made this post in
> the first place! I would have just posted with
> reckless abandon. I value all opinions here. I
> also value this community enough not to be a
> hypocrite, as some people will not tolerate as
> such. All I am saying is, "if I were to post this,
> it will have the perception of being a
> hypocritical post." It seems to me that people
> want me to post this. So I will.

Be sure you demonstrate that you intentionally left some good targets behind for the next generation of detectoristswinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 10:03PM by shoveler.
July 07, 2016 10:12PM
To be honest if I knew a simple way to post from a smartphone I Would post some up Myself. But it seems not just here but all forum's are not smartphone friendly like Facebook.
And since that is my only home access it is too much of a pain the other way at least for Me.
July 07, 2016 10:22PM
Heck post it but remember could be some locals on the forum...so leave out names and general location lest you have some company in your favorite fishing hole.
On the other hand knowing you and your Dad and your abilities won't be much if any fish left in the hole...I am waiting......
July 07, 2016 10:36PM
Are we having fun yet???winking smiley
July 07, 2016 10:48PM
"Heck post it but remember could be some locals on the forum...so leave out names and general location lest you have some company in your favorite fishing hole.
On the other hand knowing you and your Dad and your abilities won't be much if any fish left in the hole...I am waiting..."

Thanks Dan! That kinda praise means a lot to me. I need to get all the pics and the story uploaded so it will take a bit of time.
July 08, 2016 02:00AM
Bey, post away! I come here to hear a good story and see finds, junk and all............
July 08, 2016 02:06AM
Did you have permission ? grinning smiley
July 09, 2016 12:23AM
July 10, 2016 02:40AM
shoveler Wrote:
> Keep it to yourself.
> Only thing worse than hypocrisy is rationalizing
> irresponsibility,,,,,ask FBI Chief Comey

foundation contributor?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
July 10, 2016 04:42PM
Heck yeah I'd like to hear your story. Always interested in a good metal detecting story. If people wanna believe it, great. If not, heck with 'em. We all know people can be nasty behind a keyboard with the security that they'll never come face to face with us.
July 10, 2016 08:21PM
Looking forward to your story.

John
July 11, 2016 06:48PM
Just saw "the rest of the story", thanks for sharing! Public is Public!
July 11, 2016 08:13PM
It's a same the Forum's can't Be more like Facebook as far as posting pic's as it is so easy on Facebook. I posted a Beautiful Seated Quarter I found on Natural Born Diggers on Facebook and it took about 2 seconds. So any Facebook guys want to see a beauty go there.
July 11, 2016 10:25PM
I say post away, there's a difference between show boating and sharing a good detecting story.
July 11, 2016 10:52PM
It's posted. The picnic ground story i got about two more parts.