Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bucket list coin!!

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Bucket list coin!!
July 10, 2016 01:45AM
This was the last thing I expected to find this evening!! I waited on it to cool off a bit and grabbed the AT Gold to go hunt the spring that runs through my goat field. I didn't find anything in the water except a deep hole that I buried up to my knee in when I stepped off in it. Anyway, with a soggy boot and sock, I slushed back towards the house. Before we put our goats down in this area, it has always been grown up with thick hedge bushes and briars...thick nasty junk. Just the kind of stuff goats love to eat. After a few months of goats, this 1 acre patch is almost like a golf course green. Anyway, this 1 acre patch has given up a few buttons and wheat cents over the last few months. It has a lot of square nails and tin in there too. I walk right through it and get a high tone...AquaChigger calls them "squeekers" that hit in the 80s. Shallow target but sounded nice and tight. I pop a plug and see a coin...a silver looking one. My immediate thought was "a modern quarter that fell out of our pocket while putting the goat fence up". Then I saw the stars and it took me a second to realize what I was looking at. My first Barber coin!! And its a quarter to boot. We just dont find much silver down my way....rosie & merc dimes are about it...seldom do we find quarters. It is an 1892 date...and yes, I think I scratched the devil out of it with my digger. How I missed this thing with my other machines...I have no clue. I was just down there a few weeks ago with the MXSport and Relic. As shallow as this was, it was well within range and coins shouldn't be the Gold's wheelhouse. The only thing I can think of is the iron masking? I had the Sport there with the 10" stock coil and I think I only had the Relic there with the small 5" round coil. I am beyond tickled to have this!!

Re: Bucket list coin!!
July 10, 2016 01:50AM
Congrats!!
July 10, 2016 01:52AM
Welcome to the Barber club! I think the Quarter's look the best with the Barber design. Nice find.
July 10, 2016 02:02AM
Congrats on the Barber! It's always been a thrill to me to see a Barber come to light. Such a beautiful design!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
July 10, 2016 02:10AM
Good hit! Thank the goats. They ate you a place to hunt. HH jim tn
July 10, 2016 02:25AM
Congrats on your find Daniel..

To find something a person considers a nice find when you least expect it--- happens more than some may realize.
July 10, 2016 10:30AM
Good deal!...... Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Send them goats up here when your done, I have an acre that needs clearing.....hope they like poison ivy. lol
July 10, 2016 11:08AM
Yes they do, Ozzie
Do they kill skunks....that is the question
July 10, 2016 12:05PM
Now that I think about it, I may need to just follow goats around when I go hunt. The site I dug the nearly 50 flat buttons, reale, and large cents out of also had goats on it. He only has two goats now though and they are in about a 2-3 acre lot so they don't keep it eat down like my goats do. At one time, he had about 6 of them on that site and they kept it eaten down. This winter I am going to build another fence for mine, and add a goat or two. I have another big area that has always just been partially woods, ivy, and thick stuff....goats outta have a feast in there. They love briars and poison ivy; kudzu too. People occasionally stop by and ask if I rent them out for those very reasons.

Thanks everybody for the congrats on the coin. I got more excited about it than I did the reale or flying eagle cent lol
July 10, 2016 12:48PM
Nice save Daniel thumbs down
July 10, 2016 02:20PM
First of many we hope....reason why you missed with other units coil is small and fields are large.....in other words have to go over it....
July 10, 2016 02:24PM
Congrats!! Go goats!
July 10, 2016 02:47PM
Dan -- I dunno...1 acre field is not very big and humans/animals are creatures of habit. This quarter was in a section of the field that the goats have a trail in; they walk the trail a lot and that is the same route to the gate in which I go in and out of when I am coming and going into the field. So it is path I have walked and detected quite a bit when I've been down there. It was right in the middle of it; I normally detect right up to the gate and then cut the machine off. It was about 10-15 yards below the gate; thus why I figured it was just a modern coin that one of us had lost since we put the goats down there. Anyway you cut it...I'm glad to have it. Although I did look it up and noticed had it been one year older, it would have been a seated quarter; which would have been another one on my bucket list.
July 10, 2016 04:25PM
Pretty cool! Always fun to find something exciting in a place you don't expect it.

HH
Mike
July 10, 2016 04:35PM
That is what I need - goats! And some say they are destructive lol They can eat away and clear a new section for me to detect! Beautiful Barber Quarter Daniel. This must really have your wheels turning now.....what else is hiding in this 1 acre patch?

I am curious how many goats did you turn loose on this plot?
July 10, 2016 05:11PM
EPL - II --- I have 5 goats in that particular area. It is still a bit small for 5 goats though; we build onto the fence when we have the money to do so. Fencing material is not cheap; I have about $3,000 in this fence, maybe more. It is 4' tall woven wire. This winter I will have them about 2-2.5 acres to graze/browse in.

My wife and I don't have children; but the goats are our family.

July 10, 2016 06:42PM
This is really a neat post/thread Daniel.----My wife & I really enjoyed reading and seeing the great pictures & congrats on the Barber quarter.----Healthy looking fellas those goats.-----The one without the horns must be the youngest, huh?-------One thing (and you probably already know this)-----after the goats have eaten out the area of poison ivy and you go there to detect----make sure you wear gloves & a long sleeve shirt.-----Even though the goats have eaten out the plants down to the ground surface----if you dig in the ground, you still can get that stuff (poison ivy) on your skin from the roots of it.------I could give you a "first hand" story about that--I'll save it for another day though! smiling smiley--------------Del
July 10, 2016 07:08PM
Nice score thumbs down

I've found a lot of Barber dimes, but not too many Barber quarters.
July 10, 2016 09:06PM
Great story and nice find Daniel. I still remember my first Barber Quarter, a 1901 in about the same condition as yours.

Congrats
Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
July 10, 2016 09:19PM
Congrats on your 1st Barber quarter.

You may have missed it previously because of sweep direction. A coin that is buried vertically several inches in the ground can easily be missed if you sweep in the same direction as the edge.

Congrats again on your bucket list coin.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
July 10, 2016 09:41PM
WTG!

Barbers are beautiful coins!

Dean